Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13309929

Subject: "2018 taxes: How'd you do, and did you file yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2018 taxes: How'd you do, and did you file yet?"

The standard deduction increase kind of screwed me because they took away the Personal Exemption and it caused me to not itemize.

So I owe $82 to Fed this year - but I get back several hundred from state.

How'd you do? And did you file? (I always file on the first day, which is 01/28/2019 this year.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Shorted thousands because I got married.
Jan 28th 2019
not yet
Jan 28th 2019
Single no kids. And moved up a tax bracket
Jan 28th 2019
did turbo tax caster, not liking it
Jan 28th 2019
I expect another ugly year but this should be it
Jan 28th 2019
I plan to file tonight.
Jan 28th 2019
Salt max decreased to $10k
Jan 28th 2019
Still waiting for my W2
Jan 28th 2019
I did some modeling/mock returns
Feb 13th 2019
Turbo Tax says I owe a stack, between fed and state
Feb 13th 2019
I’m torn
Feb 13th 2019
Fired up my HRBlock program...joint said more software "updates" coming
Feb 13th 2019
Still owe the feds
Feb 13th 2019
apparently I have some kind PIN# now?
Feb 13th 2019
nope. i'm scared to run the numbers
Feb 13th 2019
$702.
Feb 13th 2019
RE: $702.
Feb 20th 2019
My effective tax rate fell a bit compared to last year
Feb 13th 2019
I'm scared
Feb 14th 2019
Filed, getting a nice refund
Feb 20th 2019
I did my mother's taxes and she got FUCKED
Mar 03rd 2019
Has ANYONE gotten their DC refund yet?
Mar 03rd 2019
$2800. yer boy will be filing an extension, LOL.
Mar 03rd 2019

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Shorted thousands because I got married."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm now in the same tax bracket as somebody making $350K or higher.
The new tax code is bullshit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:56 PM

2. "not yet"
In response to Reply # 0

not looking forward it to it really. heard that turbotax is asking about crypto now.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:06 PM

3. "Single no kids. And moved up a tax bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

have not filed yet, but this is gonna suck

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:11 PM

4. "did turbo tax caster, not liking it"
In response to Reply # 0

i was hoping i would get a little something back. without uber i owe like $200. depending on what expenses i can claim it might go up to like $500 or stay around $200. im thinking i could get it to zero but im going to have to check everything.

i made changes to my exemptions last year to avoid owing anything, looks like i miscalculated some.

i will probably wait it out and gather all the receipts and such. if im going to pay no need to rush in filing.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:24 PM

5. "I expect another ugly year but this should be it"
In response to Reply # 0

My wife had a bunch of 1099’d these last few years.

Now that that’s over it should be a little better.

Next year we should finally be close to zero or maybe even get a return.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:25 PM

6. "I plan to file tonight."
In response to Reply # 0

I normally file within the second or so weekend in February, but given all the madness with Trump threatening to shut the government down and the uncertainty with the IRS, I will file ASAP even though the government is scheduled to stay open for at least three more weeks. I am certain I won't like what I see given that NYC is going to get screwed due to the changes with the tax code.

Can someone please breakdown the changes with the SALT tax deductions? I vaguely remember local government officials making a big deal about it last year when the tax code was changed, but I forgot all the details from the articles I read. I do remember that some Blue States are going to get screwed royally because of the tax code changes pertaining to deductions.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:49 PM

7. "Salt max decreased to $10k"
In response to Reply # 6

I think that bit me too.

Seems suspiciously like the tax code is getting cheaper for high income people who make most of their money off investments vs. the person who has worked for years to get an income above $80k.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/trumps-plan-to-eliminate-the-state-and-local-tax-deduction-explained

------------

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 03:37 PM

8. "Still waiting for my W2"
In response to Reply # 0

This will be my first time filing as a homeowner so I should have a lot of extra stuff to think about. Usually it takes me like 10 minutes to fly through TurboTax.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 01:16 PM

9. "I did some modeling/mock returns"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-19 01:29 PM by handle

This year my tax rate increased from 14.8% to 15.6%, while my income did go up a few thousand dollars and there were some other changes, it "feels" like I got less back.

So I took my exact figures/entries from my 2017 taxes and created a new 2018 tax return using those figures. In 2017 I did donate about $6200 to charity - I normally don't reach 1/5 of that amount.

Including the charitable contributions the 2018 taxes resulted in $500 less returned in Federal and $500 in CA state.

I then created a new 2017 tax return and removed the charitable deduction entirely and then did the same to my 2018 and compared them.

Next result:Federal taxes decreased by $8 dollars and state tax *refund* decreased by $400.

$8 is a federal tax cut of .00007% for me or 7 hundred-thousandths of 1 percent.

In conclusion: It's a shit show that benefited only the super-wealthy AND seems to punish charitable giving.

------------

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 01:25 PM

10. "Turbo Tax says I owe a stack, between fed and state"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-19 01:26 PM by bigkarma

Our combined income went up, putting us in higher tax bracket, and we cashed in an IRA to cover roof repairs. Take off the IRA and we would have gotten back a few bucks.

So, I'll run the numbers somewhere else for a second opinion, but I'm confident that the numbers are correct. Needless to say, I won't be filing until 4/15.

We need to decide whether we need to increase withholding going forward, or just reconcile ourselves to the fact we'll be getting back pennies, or owing , in the future.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 04:56 PM

12. "I’m torn"
In response to Reply # 10

I like when I used to get a nice return but it’s my damn money.

I’m at a point where I need as much of it as possible so if I owe a bit or break evem I should be happy.

We have owed the last few years since my wife was 1099 and never put taxes aside. She used to get hype at her hourly rate until realizing that’s not really the rate once you file taxes... plus with the itemized deductions going away it was a bad deal.

It’s all W-2’s but I did cash out some of my IRA so it’s going to be scary this year.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 01:27 PM

11. "Fired up my HRBlock program...joint said more software "updates" coming"
In response to Reply # 0

on Feb.22...
So I figured what's the point of doing them now.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Still owe the feds"
In response to Reply # 0

albeit a little less than last year but still owe.

State refund is a little better but that came from giving them more during the year.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "apparently I have some kind PIN# now?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-19 05:25 PM by Nodima

That field on Turbotax said I could just type whatever but then I was denied because I was sent a personal PIN in the email around mid-December but I never got that. TurboTax makes it sound like a pain in the ass to get back while the IRS site not so much. I should get on that but...eh. I REALLY hope it goes smoothly, whatever it is I have to do.

I don't have health insurance so my federal return hasn't been something to get excited over in years. My state is pretty good though; if I got both back I'd be looking at over $1,200, but since I'm not that state return is mostly just going to make up for how slow bars and restaurants are in January and how that hurt my paycheck.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 06:16 PM

15. "nope. i'm scared to run the numbers"
In response to Reply # 0

i only had a job for 6 months of last year and drove Uber for the other 6. only had health insurance for 3 months. i'm prolly fucked.

d

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 06:18 PM

16. "$702."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-19 06:22 PM by BlakStaar

Federal: $701
State: $1
City: "Even Steven" as my mom would say. She's an accountant and she did my taxes this year.

So, I'm getting $702. God willing the federal portion will drop in my checking account next week. I'm not surprised that I don't owe money because I keep my allowances mad low and my returns are fairly simple: I'm not a homeowner, I didn't take money out my 401K, blah, blah, blah. I'd rather overpay and give Uncle Sam an interest-free loan than have to pay up later. I don't like "surprises" that involve shelling out money. I'm already mad my passenger side windshield wiper stopped working and that's cutting into my forthcoming federal tax refund. Luckily, my stepdad is fixing it for free; I'll just have to reimburse him for the $83 part.

My mom told me she couldn't itemize deductions this year. It's been AGES since she hasn't been able to itemize, but she ain't the only one. I'm seeing a lot of news articles and folks are pissed. I'm fortunate that I came out unscathed-- I'm actually getting more than I did last year.

Here's the e-file direct deposit schedule. Don't really know if it's legit, though: https://themilitarywallet.com/irs-federal-tax-refund-schedule/

We filed this weekend. I got the email and text that the IRS accepted my return on Monday, February 11. Per the schedule, the direct deposit could hit on February 25, a day after the cut off for the February 18 direct deposit date. Grrr.

Oh, but wait...

Last year, the IRS accepted on March 16. Got my return six days later on March 22! The schedule I saw for last year said I'd get it on April 6!

There's hope, y'all.

On another note, I resent that I'm so broke right now that I'm excited over $701. I'm also disappointed by annoyance that I missed the February 18 direct deposit date cut off by ONE DAY. So, I'm mad I may have to wait another week for $701 like I'm mad that I still care when I get paid.

I'm too old for this. I can't wait until I pay off this credit card debt. It ruins shit. Don't rack up debt if you can help it, kiddos. SMHD.

//end rant

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Feb-20-19 05:53 PM

19. "RE: $702."
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Feb-20-19 05:53 PM by BlakStaar

Direct deposit hit this morning.

It took 8 days to drop after Uncle Sam accepted my return. Not bad, not bad at all.

Naturally, more than half of the money is gone already. Whew, Lawd. I really can blow some money. LOL.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 08:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "My effective tax rate fell a bit compared to last year"
In response to Reply # 0

Refund was small, but I'm definitely not mad at that

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Thu Feb-14-19 12:05 PM

18. "I'm scared"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-14-19 12:08 PM by Eric B Is Prez

With the new $10K cap on SALT deductions, I'm really fucking worried about what the bottom line will come to. We pay property tax in NYC.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Feb-20-19 06:01 PM

20. "Filed, getting a nice refund"
In response to Reply # 0

Too bad I already spent that money. Apparently I'm getting a way bigger refund than last year. I think buying a house helped me there.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 08:55 PM

21. "I did my mother's taxes and she got FUCKED"
In response to Reply # 0

Mom is a disabled veteran who retired from the military with disability pay.

She owns a house. She pays property maxes.

She gives lightly to charity.

She was NOT allowed to itemize this year (standard deduction was better.)

Her income is was $5k higher, but she paid taxes on over $10,000 more because of not being able to itemize,

She paid more taxes, and she got 1/4 of the refund she got last year.

And she is a disabled veteran on a fixed income.

I hope a bunch of Trump goobers feel this same pain.

------------

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 09:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Has ANYONE gotten their DC refund yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven’t but it’s only been a little but when I go on Twitter hella people have been a “I filed in January and you keep saying 7-10 days more”.

Makes me wonder if anyone has gotten their refunds from DC.

Got my federal one but I don’t care about that one lol.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 11:56 PM

23. "$2800. yer boy will be filing an extension, LOL."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13309929 Previous topic | Next topic