Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13309910

Subject: "Sunny D opened up a Wellness Studio in Brooklyn" Previous topic | Next topic
naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sunny D opened up a Wellness Studio in Brooklyn"

https://www.watchtheyard.com/kappas/healhaus-darian-hall-1/

Kappa Alpha Psi Brother Opens Wellness Studio in Brooklyn That Helps Black Men Deal With Anxiety and Depression

Did you know that a brother of Kappa Alpha Psi has opened a holistic healing studio in the middle of Brooklyn that focuses on helping people of color?

Darian Hall, a Fall 2001 initiate of the Gamma Iota Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, teamed up with Elisa Shankle to create HealHaus, a space for people of color to practice self-care while living in New York. Their 1,100-square-foot wellness center includes studios for group workshops and classes, private rooms for individual sessions and a large tranquil outdoor deck where people can practice yoga and meditation. The wellness center also includes a café that serves medicinal teas, smoothies and gives people a place to meet and enjoy each other’s company.

Since opening last year, HealHaus has been very successful and received a lot of press from publications including The New York Times, Essence, Black Enterprise and Elle to name a few.

We at Watch The Yard visited HealHaus and talked to Darian about his commitment to build a community that is dedicated to changing the stigma attached to healing, especially among black men and members of Black fraternities.

Read our full interview below:

What is the best way to explain HealHaus to someone who has never been to it before?

HealHaus is a new wellness studio and cafe in the heart of Brooklyn. We conduct daily yoga and meditation classes, host various workshops that address such topics as; anxiety and substance abuse. We also facilitate private practitioner services like psychotherapy, acupuncture, massages, cbd infused facials and reiki energy healing. In the wellness cafe, visitors can choose from an assortment of smoothies, teas and elixirs that were curated with a chef and our in-house doctor. It’s a one-stop shop for all things self-care.

How did you come up with the idea for HealHaus?

After meeting my father for the first time last summer, I posted about the journey of meeting him on social media. That post sparked numerous conversations with my fraternity brothers and long-time friends. Many of the guys in my life wanted the space to be able to talk about various situations they were dealing with. Some of my frat brothers also shared similar stories about their fathers, while other guys expressed problems in their marriage, workplace issues or various forms of stress. It made me question why we didn’t have inviting spaces that were not only accessible for women, but also for men. I reached out to a good friend of mine, Elisa Shankle, who I knew had incorporated therapy, yoga and meditation into her own life. After discussing the need for black-owned spaces that focused on all forms of self-care, we decided to partner and started building what would eventually become HealHaus.

What made you decide to attend Arizona State University for undergrad?

I’m originally from Long Island, NY, but my family moved to Las Vegas when I was 11. Choosing Arizona State University had a lot to do with proximity to Las Vegas and my family. I also received some academic scholarships to ASU, which also helped form my decision to go there. Lastly, the Nupes were on the yard so that also factored into the decision.

You’re a Kappa. As you’ve matured in your career and become successful, looking back, how do you think joining a Black fraternity has contributed to where you are now?

I grew up around Kappa men and was a member of Kappa League when I was a teenager. My grandfather was a Kappa, two of my uncles are Kappas and two of my younger cousins recently became members of our noble clan. Kappa has always been very important to me and has helped train me for leadership. Many of the men I look up to that are achieving in various industries are members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. I think the experience within black fraternities and sororities is so unique and there’s a bond among those of us that choose to become members of these organizations. Joining a black fraternity not only gave me a great college experience, but also provided me with lifelong bonds that I will cherish forever.

Since you opened HealHaus last year, you’ve been featured in The New York Times, Essence, Black Enterprise and Elle just to name a few. Obviously this is because what you have created is filling a need that is not being met, what is that need exactly?

Everyone is talking about mental health and wellness now. What was missing from the current spaces that exist was diversity and spaces that felt welcoming to men. Many of the spaces did not feel inclusive. I would walk into a mediation or yoga studio and not see any people of color or men. These spaces also didn’t have a vibe where I could see myself wanting to hangout at. With HealHaus, we decided to create what was missing in the market. Most of our practitioners are people of color and when you come to the space many people say it feels like “home.” Music is also very important to me, so I make sure that the playlists that play in the space are representative of our culture.

One of the things that stands out about HealHaus is that you have created spaces for men of color to work on their mental health. Why do you think this is so important?

For far too long men of color were not afforded the space to show vulnerability. We tend to keep our stresses and things that we wrestle with to ourselves for fear of showing weakness. This mentality has not benefited us and its time we change that narrative. I want it to be cool for men of color to take therapy, to jump in a meditation class and to just check-in on themselves. So many people are dealing with anxiety, stress and sometimes depression, but feel like they have to keep it to themselves. I want them to know HealHaus is a safe space where they can be real and just breathe.

As a member of a black fraternity and someone who works in the health space. What do you think men in Black fraternities should do to address mental health at the undergraduate and alumni level?

I think its important that we continue the dialogue that has started. Both undergraduate and alumni chapters can host forums and panels that deal with mental health and wellness. Bring in experts to not only speak on the subject, but give tips and resources on how to improve ones mental health. It’s also very important that we do everything we can to remove the stigma attached to mental health.

How has mentorship had an impact on your career over time? Who are some mentors who have helped you get where you are at today and what did they teach you that stood out?

I’ve always admired Jay-Z, not just as an artist, but as a businessman. His 4:44 album was very influential on me and was one of catalysts to me choosing to meet my father for the first time. He was very personal on that album and it showed his growth as a man. The vulnerability he showed on that album was healing for not only him, but the thousands of men that were listening to the album. One of my favorite lines on the album was, “you can’t heal, what you don’t reveal.”

Another person that I’ve admired is Oprah. She has dedicated her life to serving others and also sharing peoples stories. By sharing these stories, it reminds of us of our common thread among each other. I realized how much I had in common with other men after sharing my personal story. I also realized so many people are in search of the same thing, healing.

What does HealHaus have coming up?

We are very excited about 2019. We plan to launch our corporate wellness program in the coming weeks. Through the program we will be able to take the HealHaus experience and bring it to peoples offices. Not everyone will be able to get to the studio, so we’ll go to them. We’re also looking at partnering with mainstream brands this year that understand how important mental health is. The plan is to eventually open up additional locations. Our sights are set on locations in Manhattan, Los Angeles, Atlanta and DC just to name a few. HealHaus is committed to shifting the culture around wellness and showing that it can be done in a dope, but intentional way.

If you are interested in checking out HealHaus for yourself, it is located at 1082 Fulton Street Brooklyn, NY 11238.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that's what's up!!
Jan 28th 2019
congrats!..
Jan 28th 2019
dope!
Jan 28th 2019
Sunny D for the win!!!! Hell yeah!
Jan 28th 2019
Dope!
Jan 28th 2019
Woot Woot
Jan 28th 2019
aw man i don't want him getting fucked with the shit posted here
Jan 28th 2019
I don't know how to wash no damn pussy yo!
Jan 28th 2019
      I forgot how fucking funny this joint was
Jan 28th 2019
      Omg I'm weak.
Jan 28th 2019
      That Thread Was So Hilarious It Had Me Laughing For Days
Jan 29th 2019
dope shit
Jan 28th 2019
prawps
Jan 28th 2019
damn, saw that on Twitter...
Jan 28th 2019
beautiful
Jan 29th 2019
I feel like Common should go visit this.
Sep 19th 2019

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "that's what's up!!"
In response to Reply # 0

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:34 PM

2. "congrats!.."
In response to Reply # 0

..keep going.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:42 PM

3. "dope!"
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:48 PM

4. "Sunny D for the win!!!! Hell yeah!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 01:59 PM

5. "Dope! "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad for the brother, this has been making a lot of noise since it rolled out.

I wish nothing but success for the brother.

Part of me is like "I am confused as fuck, this is not who i was expecting behind all those posts back in the day"

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Woot Woot"
In response to Reply # 0

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:16 PM

7. "aw man i don't want him getting fucked with the shit posted here"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-28-19 02:35 PM by naame

like he will be raked over the coals for his assholish ways

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I don't know how to wash no damn pussy yo!"
In response to Reply # 7

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=163204&mesg_id=163204&listing_type=search

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:31 PM

9. "I forgot how fucking funny this joint was"
In response to Reply # 8

hilarity. I need Desus to get all them fools in a fucking writers room

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

godleeluv
Member since Jun 11th 2013
5861 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 11:41 PM

13. "Omg I'm weak. "
In response to Reply # 8

... "A Beautiful Struggle"
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela

MELa
Musically.Entertaining.Lyrically.Alluring.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 03:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "That Thread Was So Hilarious It Had Me Laughing For Days"
In response to Reply # 8

I wanted to post a reply but all the good ones were posted already, those archive posts have some good hidden comedy treasures in it.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 04:21 PM

10. "dope shit"
In response to Reply # 0

congrats young man

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 07:05 PM

11. "prawps"
In response to Reply # 0

in a world of chem trails and indecipherable food ingredients this is most welcome

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 08:46 PM

12. "damn, saw that on Twitter..."
In response to Reply # 0

even commented and retweeted...didn't know it was dude, though. Good stuff.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:12 AM

14. "beautiful"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Sep-19-19 07:32 AM

16. "I feel like Common should go visit this. "
In response to Reply # 0

Since he is all promoting Wellness with his new book.

If he can visit Reset, he can visit the brother trying to make it happen right?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/16/for-common-self-care-is-the-new-black

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13309910 Previous topic | Next topic