Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13306220

Subject: "Ante up!!!! (Finding out a co worker makes more than you)" Previous topic | Next topic
TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ante up!!!! (Finding out a co worker makes more than you)"

Ok so here is what you need to know.

I have been here longer than this person. I actually trained the person. I have more job responsibilities and they regularly ask me questions.

Well, I had to use this persons computer for an issue and saw how much they brought home every two weeks.

Not happy about this at all!!!

Question is how would you handle it?

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Pay stub was on the computer? How did you find out? And NEW JOB.
Jan 11th 2019
I dont think they got any kind of pay raise.
Jan 11th 2019
      You just not gon answer how you stumbled across this info, huh?
Jan 11th 2019
           RE: You just not gon answer how you stumbled across this info, huh?
Jan 11th 2019
                What if his deductions are different?
Jan 11th 2019
only thing you can do is request a pay raise
Jan 11th 2019
Ask for a raise
Jan 11th 2019
word
Jan 11th 2019
had his stub as a screensaver?
Jan 11th 2019
this lets you know you can make more
Jan 11th 2019
find another job. aint nothing to do.
Jan 11th 2019
This seems to be the norm now (newer people making more)
Jan 11th 2019
Strong job market means you have to pay up for new folks
Jan 11th 2019
      true
Jan 11th 2019
Get another job offer and get some real leverage
Jan 11th 2019
what hurts is I KNOW I do a good job
Jan 11th 2019
      I feel you. There's def a disconnect between merit and pay
Jan 11th 2019
what you actually learned is that your company is hustling you.
Jan 12th 2019
Why? Is there not another job you could have gotten? All that...
Jan 12th 2019
I stayed at my last gig way too long
Jan 14th 2019
      A couple years is the max, at most, if you're not in management.
Jan 14th 2019
If your wanting a raise has to do with a coworkers salary
Jan 14th 2019
RE: If your wanting a raise has to do with a coworkers salary
Jan 16th 2019

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Pay stub was on the computer? How did you find out? And NEW JOB."
In response to Reply # 0

Even if you want to go and ask for a raise, it helps to at least attempt to have some new jobs lined-up.

Did this person always make more than you, or did they receive raises that you didn't?

TR808
2012 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 03:52 PM

3. "I dont think they got any kind of pay raise. "
In response to Reply # 1

I honestly think they came in getting more than me. Im thinking of options. For sure I will have some things lined up before pushing the button.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 03:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "You just not gon answer how you stumbled across this info, huh?"
In response to Reply # 3

lol snooooopin in they shit

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

TR808
2012 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:24 PM

9. "RE: You just not gon answer how you stumbled across this info, huh?"
In response to Reply # 6

Im sorry...

I thought I said that. I had to help them on their PC and they had the pay information pulled up. Today is payday....

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 05:04 PM

14. "What if his deductions are different?"
In response to Reply # 9

taxes & healthcare & retirement contributions

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 02:54 PM

2. "only thing you can do is request a pay raise"
In response to Reply # 0

but don't bring up the fact that someone else is making more than you.

it sucks, but the shit happens.

i've been with my current company for over 6 years. newer folks have come in, making more money, due to a number of reason (ie. company had more money to pay higher incoming salaries). some folks come in and negotiate higher salaries (i never accept a job offer without negotiating).

good luck!

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 03:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Ask for a raise"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't demand a raise unless you have other options
Don't bring up your coworker's salary. That's gossip. You can pull up data about average salaries in your field though
Bring evidence that you deserve a raise. Best time to do this would be during a performance review

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 03:57 PM

5. "word"
In response to Reply # 4

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:01 PM

7. "had his stub as a screensaver? "
In response to Reply # 0

Reminds me of Insecure when she saw dudes paycheck when they gave her the wrong check.

That sucks.

Gotta hold your mute and ask for more bread.

Pay what you owe!!!

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:02 PM

8. "this lets you know you can make more"
In response to Reply # 0

you dont have to accept excuses from a job that they can only pay so much. like others have said, dont bring up that you saw his pay. just use it as more knowledge. i think as others have said, apply for other jobs. use the salary you saw as a baseline and ask for 5-10% more.

if you have success with a different job offer then you got the leverage at your job.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:34 PM

10. "find another job. aint nothing to do. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "This seems to be the norm now (newer people making more)"
In response to Reply # 0

A couple of us in my position basically were gonna walk last year till they adjusted our pay rate.

That's a lot of knowledge and experience they would have lost. Those newer people are gone now because they couldn't do the job.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 04:51 PM

12. "Strong job market means you have to pay up for new folks "
In response to Reply # 11

It’s bullshit because a newbie should member make more than someone who has been there for X amount of year unless they are Dougie Howser smart.

Always pissed me off when I would leave a gig and they would list my position and offer my salary.

I guess I didn’t negotiate well enough.

Those days are over tho.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 05:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "true"
In response to Reply # 12

>Those days are over tho.

Good shit man. I need to redo my resume just to see what's out there.

shit was a slap in the face to us who had to train those dimwits

Few of us got a bump last year and a promise to do so again this year.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 05:37 PM

15. "Get another job offer and get some real leverage"
In response to Reply # 0

or pretend you have a job offer if you want to risk it. You can ask for more money, and be valuable all day, but if they don't have to pay you more then they probably not gonna do it.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

TR808
2012 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 05:51 PM

16. "what hurts is I KNOW I do a good job"
In response to Reply # 15

I mean,,, I can't buy a new car with "attaboys"....

Red Lobster don't take 'Good Jobs' for the captain's feast.

I can't even remember my last performance review... I'm starting to think that by not having a review its an excuse not to give me a raise.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 06:21 PM

17. "I feel you. There's def a disconnect between merit and pay"
In response to Reply # 16

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Sat Jan-12-19 04:24 AM

18. "what you actually learned is that your company is hustling you."
In response to Reply # 0

you probably been there for awhile and came in at a time when salaries were lower and now, because of the market or industry, a starting job pays more.

all companies will keep paying you less if possible.

and you said you haven't had a performance review in hella.

in a way, that works in your favor. how? if you do want to ask for a raise, now is your opportunity to almost write your own review. if you ask for a raise, come prepared with all of your performance highlights as a way to demonstrate that you've earned it.

as mentioned, the strongest thing you could do is get another job offer. then, you can leave if that's the plan. if you wanna stay, you can bring that offer to a negotiation and approach it like you want to stay, but you need to be making more in order to do so.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Sat Jan-12-19 01:38 PM

19. "Why? Is there not another job you could have gotten? All that..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-12-19 01:40 PM by Creole

>I have been here longer than this person.

loyalty to a company is unnecessary. Staying somewhere longer than 2.5 years, especially in a strong job market, is counterproductive if making more money is the goal. One makes more money every time they jump whether its into a new position in the current company or a jump to another company. You cant stay in the same position and expect that the bread is gonna rise for you.

Yeah! Stability or comfort is cool. But you're basically working for your self these days and, as such, you gotta treat it like a hustler. GET YOURS!

Anyway, as others have said, find yourself a new landing spot and use it as leverage against the current spot only if you want to stay. You could just find that the new spot is more appealing in the long run.

I wish you the best regardless of where you land - job-wise and dollar-wise.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 02:36 PM

20. "I stayed at my last gig way too long"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon Jan-14-19 02:46 PM by legsdiamond

I knew it was time to leave when new folks would ask me how long I been there...

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 03:06 PM

22. "A couple years is the max, at most, if you're not in management. "
In response to Reply # 20

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 02:51 PM

21. "If your wanting a raise has to do with a coworkers salary"
In response to Reply # 0

You already lost.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

TR808
2012 posts
Wed Jan-16-19 10:14 AM

23. "RE: If your wanting a raise has to do with a coworkers salary"
In response to Reply # 21

>You already lost.

Explain this...

Lobby General Discussion topic #13306220 Previous topic | Next topic