Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13300967

Subject: "An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy. " Previous topic | Next topic
kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy. "

Hello Coach,

I apologize for the delayed response. I didn't pay for a trophy because **** didn't want one. In his words, he didn't feel like he was really a part of the team. I totally understand the culture of football from growing up in Belle Glade, which is why I would prefer him to choose another sport. However, he loves playing football, but he's only played flag up until this year. ***** not aggressive (prayerfully this will change with growth and development), but he can catch and he can track a ball. ***** knows the abilities that he possesses and those that he doesn't, and he felt that instead of giving him the opportunity (when he's in the end zone and nobody is tracking him because they know who will get the ball), you all preferred to utilize the kids with raw talent. This is not a rant, but just wanted to give you some insight on his feelings. ***** will never be the kid that is excited to win just because he's on a winning team, but didn't contribute to the win; and he has never liked accepting trophies in win or lose situations (when there is really no second place). I respect his decision. While I truly appreciate the gesture, we will decline the trophy. I hope you have a blessed day.

***** - jit name redacted

So...this is the age old scenario of the parent thinking their kid is better than what he is. The kid played on his daddy’s FLAG football team for years...they were undefeated. I mean, I’ve never met a flag coach that wasn’t undefeated, but that’s another story. The kid could catch and he could run routes. He wasn’t aggressive at all. He wasn’t ready for the level of competition and would have been better served playing a level down.

I responded:

Thank you for your response. Wow. Didn’t know he felt that way. I wish he would have told me he felt this way during the season. I had fun teaching him the game and I hope him all the best in the future. I would really like for him to come back next year!

Coach

I know this was all dad. He wanted his son to be on the level with my studs, but your boy isn’t putting in the amount of work they have. They were here in spring workouts, they were here during the summer workouts, your boy wasn’t. He was given plenty of touches and sometimes you have to understand in tackle you have to run he ball. Can’t air it out on every play like flag. So no, your son will not get 5-8 targets a game.

First time I had a kid decline a trophy.

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hopefully they find lil man a sport that aligns with his sensibilities.....
Dec 07th 2018
I feel for this kid
Dec 07th 2018
Right...lil man probably HATES football and his pops refuses to believe
Dec 07th 2018
but...
Dec 07th 2018
Ole Polk High ass football dad
Dec 07th 2018
what age group?
Dec 07th 2018
9-11
Dec 07th 2018
wow
Dec 07th 2018
Dude needs to have a convo w/his kid (or more likely himself)
Dec 07th 2018
He started every game. Played 90% of offensive snaps
Dec 07th 2018
lol 90% and you have to take this noise
Dec 07th 2018
Parents are what's wrong with youth sports
Dec 07th 2018
Sometimes I think it might be fun to be involved with youth sports
Dec 07th 2018
      i'd never be the head coach of a youth team.
Dec 07th 2018
           That football show with the kids brigs flashbacks
Dec 07th 2018
           I feel like 25 years ago, there was still some level of chill in youth s...
Dec 07th 2018
                for the amount of money they spend on coaches, camps, select clubs...
Dec 07th 2018
                It’s always been this way
Dec 11th 2018
damn does this kids pops think he's OBJ?
Dec 07th 2018
You know the kid wanted that trophy
Dec 07th 2018
"If you're not first... you're last" (c) Reese Bobby
Dec 07th 2018
haha, i thought of this too.
Dec 07th 2018
      lol
Dec 07th 2018
My kid didn't have a great football experience this year...
Dec 07th 2018
Sometimes, the only reason to stay professional is consequences
Dec 07th 2018
dad version of take your ball and go home
Dec 07th 2018
Wow... wow....The coach didn't give out trophies!
Dec 09th 2018
Varsity? This is HS?
Dec 11th 2018
Seems like somehting you'd make clear from jump
Dec 11th 2018
these ideas people have about kids earning trophies are so bizarre
Dec 09th 2018
youth sports would be great if it wasnt for the parents
Dec 10th 2018
When people use religious language to be assholes, it just ups the assho...
Dec 10th 2018
I detect a bit of well thrown shade from you coach. LOL.
Dec 13th 2018
Keep It Moving
Dec 13th 2018

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hopefully they find lil man a sport that aligns with his sensibilities....."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:35 PM

2. "I feel for this kid"
In response to Reply # 0

Because his parents are only going to get more aggressive as he gets older. And I doubt quitting football to do something else will be an option for him if his dad's already THIS invested in his kid's little football career.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:44 PM

3. "Right...lil man probably HATES football and his pops refuses to believe"
In response to Reply # 2

it.
And it reads as if his dad believes "aggression" or lack of "aggression" is an issue...

Some folks are just stingy winners.
I know I was.

I didn't really like football or basketball because I'm basically not a team sports kinda guy...guess you could say I'm not a team player... *waits for Legs to come through and clown*......

Track & field, wrestling, biking....I throughly enjoyed the style of competition in those sports though.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "but..."
In response to Reply # 2

he said in the email he wanted to steer him into other sports

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:52 PM

4. "Ole Polk High ass football dad"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:57 PM

5. "what age group?"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

kingjerm78
24725 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:07 PM

8. "9-11"
In response to Reply # 5

www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:01 PM

6. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

it may not really be like this but honestly that read like

"I know my son is a wimp, honestly he's such a wimp I know he can't cut it in this sport, it pains me greatly, thanks for the trophy but he doesn't deserve it. He thinks he's hot shit and so you should've given him more targets so he could get the crap knocked out of him until he toughens up or quits like I know he will"

i mean honestly that how that felt despite his actual words trying to frame it differently...

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:07 PM

7. "Dude needs to have a convo w/his kid (or more likely himself)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lessons he could have taken:
-if there's issues, confront them head on
-work harder to make it an easier decision for coach to play you
-you actually did contribute and earned the trophy by being at all teh practices and making your team stronger
-sometimes you put in the work and don't get what you want (valuable life lesson), but focus on the positives and learn from the failures
-Do you actually like football? Wanna do something else?

Instead:
-coach was using you wrong, and so go ahead and be a baby and give back the trophy on some pussy passive-aggressive shit.

How old are these kids

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

kingjerm78
24725 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:10 PM

9. "He started every game. Played 90% of offensive snaps"
In response to Reply # 7

www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:19 PM

11. "lol 90% and you have to take this noise"
In response to Reply # 9

you handled that well man.. I'd pay to hear what you really wanted to say.

90% kid is getting healthy AJ Green type time if not targets, he had every opportunity and so did his pops. smh. I go back to what I said above this dad is off.

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:21 PM

12. "Parents are what's wrong with youth sports"
In response to Reply # 9

That e-mail sounds like it was written by a dude who grew up without a dad.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:24 PM

"Sometimes I think it might be fun to be involved with youth sports"

Then I think about the parents and how much I'd hate having to put up with this stuff.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:31 PM

16. "i'd never be the head coach of a youth team. "
In response to Reply # 0

just from playing, and seeing how the parents acted

and then from just observing some of my clients practices/games and talking to the parents.

HELL

NAW

one of my clients tried to get me to coach one of his bball teams and im like "all you do when we have meetings is bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about the parents, and this is your passion. what makes you think i'd want to invite that stress into my life on a whim"

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:34 PM

22. "That football show with the kids brigs flashbacks"
In response to Reply # 16

Parents trying to fight at the banquets and at games.

Problem with our dad’s were they were all drunks so they would show up crunk as fuck trying to fight the refs.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:39 PM

23. "I feel like 25 years ago, there was still some level of chill in youth s..."
In response to Reply # 16

Now every last parent in every last sport thinks their kid is THISCLOSE to getting a full ride to college on whatever scholarship if not for this ref/coach/administrator who just hates their kid for no reason.

I have a lot of respect for people who can put up with this, but I couldn't.

------

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:52 PM

24. "for the amount of money they spend on coaches, camps, select clubs..."
In response to Reply # 23

they could just save that dough and pay for college, and avoid a lot of fuckin stress.

-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 04:36 PM

29. "It’s always been this way"
In response to Reply # 23

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:28 PM

14. "damn does this kids pops think he's OBJ?"
In response to Reply # 9

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:11 PM

10. "You know the kid wanted that trophy"
In response to Reply # 7

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:24 PM

13. ""If you're not first... you're last" (c) Reese Bobby"
In response to Reply # 0

https://media.giphy.com/media/14b8cvy4FX8Mow/giphy.gif

That was ALLLLLLLL str8 from pops...tryin to Todd Haley you lol

=======================================
Coolin...

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:29 PM

15. "haha, i thought of this too. "
In response to Reply # 13

Then i also remembered -

"Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn’t make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth… hell you can even be fifth."

-Hunter S. Thompson

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:03 PM

19. "lol"
In response to Reply # 15

=======================================
Coolin...

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 03:33 PM

17. "My kid didn't have a great football experience this year..."
In response to Reply # 0

...but we're taking that trophy, though. Just so happens the banquet is this Sunday.

Anyway... my son is a monster at 14 years-old... 6'3,", 240lbs. Everyone, including me, were amped that he was playing high school football this year.

All in all it was a bad experience. His school's team was awful; poorly coached, poorly funded, unorganized, not much interest from the student body...etc. He started playing football his last two years of middle school, but he was still very green, and the high school team didn't do much to develop his skills. Just a lot of yelling about getting out there and getting mean, or hitting somebody.

He's already mentioned he doesn't want to play football next year.

He plays rugby on a rec league team, and he just made varsity lacrosse as the back-up goalie. He's amped about those sports and both are positive in the organization and level of coaching he's receiving.

I still have a spot on the mantle for that trophy.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44854 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Sometimes, the only reason to stay professional is consequences "
In response to Reply # 0

Because that guy needs the sort of reality check that can't be given while maintaining your professionalism.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:24 PM

21. "dad version of take your ball and go home"
In response to Reply # 0

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Sun Dec-09-18 06:39 PM

25. "Wow... wow....The coach didn't give out trophies!"
In response to Reply # 0

So, I just got back from my son's football banquet (see post #17), and the coach announced that since the team went 2-8, that didn't warrant giving out any trophies.

He gave out letters to the varsity lettermen, JV got certificates, and he acknowledged the kid who had a 4.0 GPA with a plaque.

He also gave those kids that got all-county recognition their trophies and medals from the county.

...everyone else got the gasface!

I'm positive this isn't the last we'll hear about this. Several parents looked stunned, but no one said anything at the banquet.

I don't know whether to get mad... I mean my kid didn't really do anything to deserve a trophy, or whether to respect the coach's gangster.

Oh well...on to lacrosse and rugby!

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 04:39 PM

30. "Varsity? This is HS? "
In response to Reply # 25

I have never received a trophy for just playing. I think maybe we got trophies in pee wee but they didn’t mean shit unless they were big trophies for doing something good.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44854 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 06:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "Seems like somehting you'd make clear from jump"
In response to Reply # 25

"We won't be handing out trophies this year unless we've earned them."

I'd sign up for a coach who presented that sort of ethic from jump.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Dec-09-18 07:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "these ideas people have about kids earning trophies are so bizarre"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not the super bowl, qualitatively all of the kids suck

if they're not good, trust me they know -- giving them a trophy doesn't change shit.

but now dad gets to pretend he's a big tough man and that's what the whole thing is about

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 02:29 AM

27. "youth sports would be great if it wasnt for the parents"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 12:44 PM

28. "When people use religious language to be assholes, it just ups the assho..."
In response to Reply # 0

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Dec-13-18 09:45 AM

32. "I detect a bit of well thrown shade from you coach. LOL. "
In response to Reply # 0

"I had fun teaching him the game"

And his dad is a coach too? That's that good shade. Well played.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Thu Dec-13-18 11:00 AM

33. "Keep It Moving"
In response to Reply # 32

One thing I had to understand after coaching youth football for close to a decade that watching your kid perform is an extremely vulnerable situation for parents. Most people regardless how hard they try will never truly be objective about their kids. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

Those kind of emails always bothered me. I never judged myself by wins or losses per say. It was more about development of the kids for me and them having a positive experience and wanting to return to the program next year. I was more bothered by the kids that didn't return which was a small minority than the kids that returned every year and still playing to this day. I was out having a dinner with my family and happened to be seated next to a family of a former player. I didn't know it at the time but the kid had some developmental issues. Extremely quiet then and still to this day. Undersized but explosive and one of the most aggressive kids on the team. His mother approached me about him wanting "to do other things" which is always code for being a running back. I had 7 kids that were more suited for that than him. But none of them were as strong or aggressive on the defensive line. Mom basically told me the kid dam near suffered from PTSD from being on the defensive line and was overjoyed when he found a coach that allowed him to be a skill player. Messed up my whole meal. Still happy for him. Had he continued to play with me more than likely it would have been that way for a minute because it would have been the same kids on the team.

You have to do what is in the best interest for your team. Parents will always have to do what is in the best interest of their child. Today that probably means finding him a team where kids aren't as talented that will allow him to be featured. It used to mean having a determined spirit, putting in the work in the off season and showing the coach you now deserve those opportunities. Coaches, 9 times out of 10, will play the kids they believe give them the best chance to win. If that happens to be your child, he will play.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13300967 Previous topic | Next topic