Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13300688

Subject: "Synth-heads: OP-1 Discontinued" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 12:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Synth-heads: OP-1 Discontinued"

apparently issues with getting screens

prepare for $3000 OP-1s

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/12/teenage-engineering-op-1-synthesizer-officially-discontinued-rip-1.html

Teenage Engineering OP-1 RIP! The popular modern digital Synthesizer from Sweden will no longer be produced or available until further notice.
The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is without question one of the most popular modern Synthesizers. Not only because of its small portable shape but also because of its power. Also, many YouTube creators have become very popular while using this synth in their productions: Cuckoo, Andrew Huang, Red Means Recording ….

Recently there has been much speculation about the end of the OP-1. Now it is official. TE will no longer build or deliver the OP-1 due to production issues (screens…). Whether it will come out for a re-launch in 2019 or even an OP-1 (2) is still unclear. It would be nice if he came back. But one thing is certain: the prices of second-hand OP-1 will rise.

Teenage Engineering OP-1 RIP

Message From The German Distribution
Eine Ära geht (vorübergehend) zu Ende – Wir bedauern Ihnen mitteilen zu müssen, dass Teenage Engineering nach anhaltenden Fertigungsproblemen den beliebten Kult-Synthesizer OP-1 abgekündigt hat. Rückstände werden nicht mehr ausgeliefert. Bitte nehmen Sie den Artikel aus Ihrem Onlineshop und informieren Sie Ihre Kunden – Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Umstände! Servicefälle werden weiterhin wie gewohnt abgewickelt und auch das OP-1Zubehör verbleit zunächst im Sortiment.

An era is (temporarily) over – We regret to inform you that Teenage Engineering has discontinued the popular cult synthesizer OP-1 after persistent manufacturing problems. Residues are no longer delivered. Please take the article from your online shop and inform your customers – please excuse the circumstances! Service cases continue to be handled as usual and the OP-1 accessories are initially included in the product range.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators....
Dec 06th 2018
RE: ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators....
Dec 06th 2018
Unfortunate. It's not for everyone, but the user base seems extremely pa...
Dec 06th 2018
i feel like there's gotta be something in the works
Dec 06th 2018
so i bought an OP-1
May 23rd 2019
Care to elaborate? I had a trade offer for my MPC 4000 recently
May 23rd 2019
      its just crazy having that much power in such a small device
May 24th 2019
Just copped the OPZ
May 30th 2019
i want one. its like a souped up Pocket Operator
May 30th 2019
Yeah That OP-Z Looks Just As Interesting As The OP-1
May 30th 2019
      you're never gonna see a price drop from TE
May 31st 2019
           Their gear actually has appreciated over time
May 31st 2019
too bad you cant save on the device
May 31st 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 12:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-06-18 12:25 PM by FLUIDJ

Weren't they pretty affordable?
Or am I thinking about something else?

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

hardware
42304 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 12:27 PM

2. "RE: ok, I was thinking about the pocket operators...."
In response to Reply # 1

The Pocket Operators are under $100
The OP-Z is $600
The OP-1 is $1200

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44806 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 04:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Unfortunate. It's not for everyone, but the user base seems extremely pa..."
In response to Reply # 0

I found the price point prohibitive personally. Here's hoping they find a way to redesign/reimagine a new version of the product

hardware
42304 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 04:51 PM

4. "i feel like there's gotta be something in the works"
In response to Reply # 3

the OP-Z doesn't seem like a flagship

it might just be a factory switch
and they may take the opportunity to improve on the OP1

hardware
42304 posts
Thu May-23-19 10:42 PM

5. "so i bought an OP-1"
In response to Reply # 0

had it for less than a month. i'm in love

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44806 posts
Thu May-23-19 11:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Care to elaborate? I had a trade offer for my MPC 4000 recently "
In response to Reply # 5

My only real thought was trying to flip it for a higher profit, or something was wrong with it.

But a small piece of me remains intrigued.

hardware
42304 posts
Fri May-24-19 12:44 AM

7. "its just crazy having that much power in such a small device"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri May-24-19 12:46 AM by hardware

i mean, its basically a whole studio

its just made for quick composing and experimentation
you can get a whole album or close to it completely done on the thing. its crazy

its definitely a worthwhile thing to at least try. i don't plan on selling mine if i can help it.

i was planning on getting a digitone, but the opportunity presented itself and i pulled the trigger

Triptych
Charter member
30112 posts
Thu May-30-19 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
8. "Just copped the OPZ"
In response to Reply # 0

really interesting device - though a little limited. Great for sketching out drum patterns and 4/4 dance/trap beats. Still learning it

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

hardware
42304 posts
Thu May-30-19 11:12 AM

9. "i want one. its like a souped up Pocket Operator"
In response to Reply # 8

i love TE's punch-in effects

you can completely transform 8-bars into a full B and C section just from combining effects.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu May-30-19 11:33 PM

10. "Yeah That OP-Z Looks Just As Interesting As The OP-1"
In response to Reply # 8

I didn't know a lot about the OP-1 but it seems like a real handy machine, especially the fact you can listen and sample the radio in it, is some amazing on it's own but the price tag on that seems was out of reach for what I would want it to do (that's just me though I'm not shelling out tons of cash for anything ever again).

Anyway, I looked at a review of the OP-Z by Andrew Huang https://youtu.be/Sw__2UHka1s and he seems to make everything look easy but even for me who takes a while to understand a piece of equipment, the OP-Z seems like it's made to create crazy patterns on the fly and do some things the OP-1 doesn't do, but the big down factor is you can't sample with the OP-Z but I'll still wait till the price drops to under $400 before I would want to buy it; but knowing them, by time the price drops, they will just discontinue it, and put out something else.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

hardware
42304 posts
Fri May-31-19 09:23 AM

11. "you're never gonna see a price drop from TE"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri May-31-19 09:32 AM by hardware

if you want a discount you pretty much have to get their gear used which i haven't had an issue with

i got this OP-1 for $960 which is below what the og price was
and its basically 3 pieces of gear in one

its def an investment tho.

i will say their gear is probably the most intuitive on the market. you'll figure out how to use everything in about a day, and you'll be churning out stuff really really fast, but it'll probably take a few weeks to get settle in to the quirks well enough to find your own workflow. and thats all their products. you can pretty much make a whole album on any of them.

that said if you don't wanna drop a rack, try the PO-33 out. its more powerful than it looks and it can sample literally anything

Triptych
Charter member
30112 posts
Fri May-31-19 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
13. "Their gear actually has appreciated over time "
In response to Reply # 11

Which is totally amazing. Instant classics.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Fri May-31-19 02:41 PM

12. "too bad you cant save on the device"
In response to Reply # 0

!

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13300688 Previous topic | Next topic