Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13300267

Subject: "Anyone getting those 1 cent whoppers at mcdonalds?" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone getting those 1 cent whoppers at mcdonalds?"

https://www.businessinsider.com/burger-king-debuts-mcdonalds-whopper-deal-2018-12

basically, go to a mcds, open the bk app and you can place an order for a whopper at your nearest bk for 1 cent.

dont remember the last time i ate at bk.

i do like whoppers though....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Data data data data data data data.
Dec 04th 2018
RE: Data data data data data data data.
Dec 04th 2018
      good point
Dec 04th 2018
      for this app they kinda do tho right? has to verify you are in a McD's n...
Dec 04th 2018
           its kind of stupid though
Dec 04th 2018
Dec 10th 2018
May 16th 2019
wow
Dec 04th 2018
Is an app truly deleted once you remove it from your phone?
Dec 04th 2018
Is a Whopper truly out of your system once you take a shit?
Dec 04th 2018
      lol
Dec 04th 2018
      you did good here, man...real good
Dec 04th 2018
      Fantastic
Dec 04th 2018
      bazinga! © sheldon cooper...
Dec 04th 2018
      Excellent
Dec 04th 2018
      ha!
May 16th 2019
Make 2 trips to save $4 on something you weren't going to eat anyway?
Dec 04th 2018
^^^supreme mathematics ^^^^
Dec 04th 2018
how hard is it to walk across the street?
Dec 04th 2018
i think theres one location like that in my town
Dec 04th 2018
^^^this why i live in Marine Park
Dec 05th 2018
But you *are* going to eat something anyway
Dec 10th 2018
No.
Dec 04th 2018
Clever?
Dec 05th 2018
RE: Clever?
Dec 05th 2018
It doesn’t stay with CVS and it affects other items
Dec 05th 2018
      RE: It doesn’t stay with CVS and it affects other items
Dec 05th 2018
that is clever, but not in a good way
Dec 05th 2018
i think the marketing angle is what actually made me want to post this
Dec 05th 2018
you can spoof your location on android devices.
Dec 05th 2018
android > iphone
Dec 05th 2018
Facebook engineered ways to access user's call history w/o alerting user...
Dec 05th 2018
Just throw your phone in the river and use unmarked bills
Dec 05th 2018
i always break my phone in half and throw it away in the nearest trash c...
Dec 05th 2018
People have been using spam dodging email address forever
Dec 05th 2018
lmao
Dec 10th 2018
The factory farming that is required to supply Macdonalds is a
Dec 05th 2018
The nw qtr pounder is on point tho
May 16th 2019

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Data data data data data data data. "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 01:49 PM

2. "RE: Data data data data data data data. "
In response to Reply # 1

1. Information We Collect

We collect personal information about our users in various ways. For example, we collect information that you provide to us, information that we collect through your use of the Services, and information that we collect from publicly available sources or third parties.

Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you give us when you use the Services. For example, when you visit one of our restaurants, visit one of our websites or use one of our Services, create an account with us, buy a stored-value card in-restaurant or online, participate in a survey or promotion, or take advantage of our in-restaurant Wi-Fi service, we may ask for information such as your name, e-mail address, year of birth, gender, street address, or mobile phone number so that we can provide Services to you. We may collect payment information, such as your credit card number, security code and expiration date, to process a financial transaction you have requested. We also may collect information about the products you buy, including where and how frequently you buy them, your use of coupons and stored-value cards, and the rewards you earn through our loyalty programs so that we can learn more about your interests and better serve you.

Information About Your Use of the Services. In addition to the information you provide to us directly, we may collect information about your use of the Services. For example, we may collect:

• Device information - such as your hardware model, IP address, other unique device identifiers, operating system version, and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
• Usage information - such as information about the Services you use, the time and duration of your use of the Services and other information about your interaction with content offered through a Service, and any information stored in cookies and similar technologies that we have set on your device.
• Location information - such as your computer’s IP address, your mobile device’s GPS signal or information about nearby WiFi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use the Services.

Information From Third-Party Sources. We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources, as permitted by law, which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. For example, we may receive information about you from a social media site if you connect to the Services through that site.

------

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 02:12 PM

4. "good point"
In response to Reply # 2

sucks that every company is making folks use location data.

albertsons started doing this recently. you can get coupons and special offers through an app. when i asked the cashier why i wasnt getting the prices hes like you need to have location on and sync the app.

on the surface it makes sense but it really it is not necessary.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 02:14 PM

5. "for this app they kinda do tho right? has to verify you are in a McD's n..."
In response to Reply # 4

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 02:16 PM

6. "its kind of stupid though"
In response to Reply # 5

making folks drive to a competitors location to get a coupon then drive to the bk location?

pretty sure they could had used a different method to troll mcds

im still debating if i will do this lol

i had some whataburger on sunday (those nfl commercials got me) so im good on burgers for at least a week.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 12:00 PM

33. "RE: Data data data data data data data. "
In response to Reply # 2

The mobile location industry began as a way to customize apps and target ads for nearby businesses, but it has morphed into a data collection and analysis machine.

Retailers look to tracking companies to tell them about their own customers and their competitors’. For a web seminar last year, Elina Greenstein, an executive at the location company GroundTruth, mapped out the path of a hypothetical consumer from home to work to show potential clients how tracking could reveal a person’s preferences. For example, someone may search online for healthy recipes, but GroundTruth can see that the person often eats at fast-food restaurants.

“We look to understand who a person is, based on where they’ve been and where they’re going, in order to influence what they’re going to do next,” Ms. Greenstein said.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/10/business/location-data-privacy-apps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

------

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu May-16-19 11:05 AM

36. "RE: Data data data data data data data. "
In response to Reply # 33

https://jalopnik.com/burger-king-figured-out-how-to-monetize-traffic-jams-1834786467

“In Mexico City, Burger King introduced the "Traffic Jam Whopper," part of a delivery platform that promises to bring BK food to consumers in the most heavily gridlocked areas while they're still at the wheel. It uses real-time traffic data to determined heavily congested areas, and Waze banner ads and digital billboards then alert drivers when the delivery service is available to them.

The ads remind the drivers how much time they have left to order through the Burger King app–the delivery range changes depending on where the traffic is, and it’s always within a three-kilometer radius of a BK restaurant. ”

So what’s this now. Traffic habits, nearby cars, car type info, demographic information, real time tracking that you pay for, for an OK at best burger.

------

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 01:55 PM

3. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

trolling McD's AND collecting my personal info #AtTheSameDamnTime

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 02:41 PM

7. "Is an app truly deleted once you remove it from your phone?"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 03:03 PM

9. "Is a Whopper truly out of your system once you take a shit?"
In response to Reply # 7

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 03:52 PM

11. "lol"
In response to Reply # 9

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 04:20 PM

12. "you did good here, man...real good"
In response to Reply # 9

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 04:41 PM

13. "Fantastic "
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 05:20 PM

14. "bazinga! © sheldon cooper..."
In response to Reply # 9

..never change, okp. never change.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 10:44 PM

17. "Excellent "
In response to Reply # 9

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Thu May-16-19 02:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "ha!"
In response to Reply # 9

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 02:48 PM

8. "Make 2 trips to save $4 on something you weren't going to eat anyway?"
In response to Reply # 0

And I have to download a Burger King app?

No.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 03:03 PM

10. "^^^supreme mathematics ^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 06:53 PM

15. "how hard is it to walk across the street?"
In response to Reply # 8

..I have Mcds, BK, Taco Bell, & KFC all on the same corner in BedStuy.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 06:57 PM

16. "i think theres one location like that in my town"
In response to Reply # 15

i work right by a mcds that i pass by every day on my way home so this wouldnt be a big deal. driving to bk would actually be pretty out of my way.

now that i think of it there was a spot that had mcds and bk right next to each other by my old job. guess this would perfect if i still went there. i would probably be able to get the coupon right inside the bk.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 05:51 PM

32. "^^^this why i live in Marine Park"
In response to Reply # 15

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 05:43 PM

35. "But you *are* going to eat something anyway"
In response to Reply # 8

Why not get 667 calories for only 1 cent

You make it sound like its something you'll never use or need.

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 11:48 PM

18. "No. "
In response to Reply # 0

Because I love myself.

On another note, I think this was a pretty clever idea. The industry needs to stay creative, and this was different.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 07:30 AM

19. "Clever?"
In response to Reply # 18

If someone walked up to you and said I can give you a coupon for $2.08 but you’ll need to tell me your name, age, and a few identifying demographics
I’ll need to be able to follow you via gps
There’s a possibility I could sell any information you give me
And I need you to go to another spot first ... then travel to the spot where your coupon is valid

Would you think they’re clever?

I’d feel they were out of their fucking minds and preying on people that NEED to save $2

------

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 08:36 AM

21. "RE: Clever?"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Dec-05-18 08:43 AM by BlakStaar

Okay so maybe not clever but unique and competitive. I bet the folks at Mickey D’s are livid.

I have mixed feelings about data collection. I like my privacy but I also like to save money sometimes. The Target Red Card and CVS ExtraCare Card are great examples of data collection practices that I don’t mind. I know what them mofos is doing, tracking my purchases and shit...but I love the deals.

--

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 10:20 AM

22. "It doesn’t stay with CVS and it affects other items"
In response to Reply # 21

https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-hold-for-45-minutes-it-might-be-your-secret-customer-score-1541084656

------

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 10:27 AM

23. "RE: It doesn’t stay with CVS and it affects other items"
In response to Reply # 22

Thanks for the link. I’ll read it when I get my stepfather to give me his WSJ password,

Now I’m thinking about what Cee-Lo said on “Soul Food.”

Fast food got me feeling sick
Them crackers think they slick
By trying to make this bullshit affordable

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Goodie-mob-soul-food-lyrics#ampf=undefined

--

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 10:52 AM

24. "that is clever, but not in a good way"
In response to Reply # 19

serious question, are the companies that want the user data reaching out to brands with marketing ideas based on getting this data?

like in this example, is there a company paying bk for each coupon so that they can get this data? did this company actually come up with the idea or did they give bk a goal of find a way to make a promotion that gets us this data and we pay you __ for each user?

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 11:04 AM

26. "i think the marketing angle is what actually made me want to post this"
In response to Reply # 18

from a marketing stand point its interesting. i also see it was weird/desperate. i guess i saw this kind of like ihop with the whole ihob thing. marketing is an interesting field. dont think i would want to work in it.

i think meat is 100% correct that folks need to read the terms and conditions and that these companies know that folks wont read them. so we keep agreeing to give away this data for small gains.

then theres the health question. ive been eating out much less the last few months and it was weird to actually have a commercial make me want to get fast food. i actually have a pretty strong dislike for bk the past couple of years. before that i really liked their food.

i went to carl's jr the other day and looked at the menu but nothing looked appealing so i left instead. i did go to whataburger instead though lol

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 08:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "you can spoof your location on android devices."
In response to Reply # 0

just use a location/gps spoofing app. you can enter an address (or on some app simply search 'mcdonalds' and choose one of the locations listed) and your phone will pretend those are your current coordinates.

so you can do this from home and just go scoop up your 1c whopper.

if you dont have an android device...you should be able to do this on your pc with an android emulator like bluestacks.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 10:53 AM

25. "android > iphone"
In response to Reply # 20

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 12:58 PM

30. "Facebook engineered ways to access user's call history w/o alerting user..."
In response to Reply # 20

https://twitter.com/ashk4n/status/1070349123516170240?s=21
Specifically with the android

------

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 11:14 AM

27. "Just throw your phone in the river and use unmarked bills"
In response to Reply # 0

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 11:18 AM

28. "i always break my phone in half and throw it away in the nearest trash c..."
In response to Reply # 27

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 11:26 AM

29. "People have been using spam dodging email address forever "
Wed Dec-05-18 11:27 AM by MEAT

But now it’s unreasonable to exercise caution with a device that most of us carry more than our house keys?

It’s weird what the tipping point of depersonalization is.
I don’t know when it became that way for most people for data and privacy ... but I’m not there yet.
Y’all can have your Minority Report ass life.

------

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 03:56 PM

34. "lmao"

<--- Big Baller World Order

mellowboogie
Member since Jun 26th 2006
3608 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 02:32 PM

31. "The factory farming that is required to supply Macdonalds is a "
In response to Reply # 0

fucking abomination on animal rights. It's completely fucked up how bad it's gotten for 'farm' animals and everyone needs to start fucking paying attention.

Rant over.

'Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo'

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu May-16-19 11:40 AM

37. "The nw qtr pounder is on point tho"
In response to Reply # 31

Lobby General Discussion topic #13300267 Previous topic | Next topic