Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13300228

Subject: "On Mental Health - Bishop Jakes' Interview with Charlamagne" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"On Mental Health - Bishop Jakes' Interview with Charlamagne"

Yo! This was good. A must watch and listen.

https://youtu.be/O0vCT1VCS68

I had the joy of uniting with Charlamagne for a terrific discussion of his book, #ShookOne. We talked about how mental health is a vast need that often goes unmet in our culture. This conversation could empower you to conquer the inner forces that thwart your growth. Someone you know needs this. Is it you?

Current Favorite Song: https://youtu.be/8v_KFHnPImY

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Mental Health is a serious issue and should be discussed
Dec 05th 2018
so he's growing up.
Dec 05th 2018
Maturing is not something people do well. It takes effort + time.
Dec 05th 2018
why cant prayer alone fix mental health?
Dec 05th 2018
nvm
Dec 05th 2018
RE: why cant prayer alone fix mental health?
Dec 06th 2018
because the Bible says Faith w/o Works is Dead....
Dec 07th 2018
This is why god/prayer can't heal an amputee.
Dec 07th 2018
Ok, Let me ask you this -
Dec 07th 2018
      My own personal approach....
Dec 07th 2018
that’s a tough one, papi.
Dec 07th 2018
Charlemagne is a strong man!
Dec 07th 2018

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 07:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Mental Health is a serious issue and should be discussed "
In response to Reply # 0

This is a really good interview by Jakes. His questions to Charlemagne very probing and helps to reveal many common problems with in the black community.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "so he's growing up."
In response to Reply # 0

good. he's got some anxiety, which is the reason he's in therapy. he also has imposter syndrome. something a lot of people experience.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 04:53 PM

3. "Maturing is not something people do well. It takes effort + time."
In response to Reply # 2

>good. he's got some anxiety, which is the reason he's in
>therapy. he also has imposter syndrome. something a lot of
>people experience.
>

I think his anxiety is what lead to the reason for therapy, but the self-discovery and transparency is a reward that needs to be held up and celebrated. Dude, came clean about his struggles and victories, and that message is empowering for others that may be stranded in the dark.

The African-American community does not - holistically embrace the treatment of mental health issues, nor on average we have access to the financial resources or proper education that allow us to engage in mental health support.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 05:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "why cant prayer alone fix mental health?"
In response to Reply # 0

serious question. im interested in your answer.

if Gods will is predetermined, His grace is sufficient, and His power is made perfect in weakness...why do we have to pray *and* seek therapy?

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 05:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "nvm"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Dec-05-18 05:13 PM by Selah

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Dec-06-18 09:28 PM

6. "RE: why cant prayer alone fix mental health?"
In response to Reply # 4

In short, the activity called praying or the subject of alone can't fix anything - alone. Anyone can pray. Praying is just a request - by an individual. The power comes with to whom one is praying to and seeking a response.

For the Christian, the activity of Praying is the act of requesting God to intervene in a matter. The activity of prayer is accompanied by one's faith. Both are the flint and the stone needed to spark the fire that calls out to God for his intercession.

Now, I believe that the power of prayer and faith can heal issues such as Depression, Suicidal tendencies, Low Self-esteem, Anger, Etc. But there are some Mental Health issues that need guidance and community support because of the holistic healing process. Therefore, I believe that God had anointed and called people into specialty areas that deal with helping the human mind to heal. I believe that God makes provision for the human condition by using people to bring about proper change and healing.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 11:28 AM

8. "because the Bible says Faith w/o Works is Dead...."
In response to Reply # 4

Mental Health is a process that takes time and effort continuously from the individual and those that support the individual.

Christians that think prayer solves anything miss the point of prayer. Prayer basically is the Christian equivalent to meditation. When the mind is focused and framed to seek the positive outcome, an individual is more likely to get there. When I pray (can't speak for others), I'm more or less declaring my faith that, regardless of outcome, I will be okay and I will prevail through whatever has come against me.

---------------------------------------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 01:46 PM

9. "This is why god/prayer can't heal an amputee."
In response to Reply # 8

The list of things *we* have to do to get "god" to work says a lot.

Faith without works is dead because faith doesn't actually do anything, work does. This points to you/us, not any god.

And we do that work.

It's why prayer can supposedly heal something like depression, but not an amputee. Because I/you/we can do work in that department, do research, study, apply certain techniques, develop habits, alter things like our diet, exercise, surroundings, and battle such an issue directly.

WE do that work. We can say the prayer, but it's awfully convenient that, surprise surprise, we get actual results when we put in that work.

But someone who got their arm chopped off?

No prayer is going to fix that. Oh sure, there are well known scams and carny tricks, but this does not happen in reality.

And the reason is because there are no "works" that can be put in to make that happen, and thus we don't have the ability to pretend that the prayer was responsible for something that was clearly the resulting effect of our actions.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 04:24 PM

11. "Ok, Let me ask you this - "
In response to Reply # 8

>Mental Health is a process that takes time and effort
>continuously from the individual and those that support the
>individual.
>
>Christians that think prayer solves anything miss the point of
>prayer. Prayer basically is the Christian equivalent to
>meditation.

Where did you get the idea that, "Prayer basically is the Christian equivalent to meditation"?

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 05:40 PM

12. "My own personal approach...."
In response to Reply # 11

For me, when I pray about specific situations related to my mental health, I'm moreso praying for stillness in my mind and focus on whatever I believe God has set forth in my life. I don't really pray for a specific outcome because I don't see that as God's will but my will.

I'm praying to God but I've never been big on praying in the same manner that some people I know.....I don't pray for favor and I always pray alone, silently. I've never been comfortable with corporate prayer.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:13 PM

10. "that’s a tough one, papi."
In response to Reply # 4

let me try to find the words and come back...

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 09:58 AM

7. "Charlemagne is a strong man!"
In response to Reply # 0

I think he is a great role model. I am glad the black church isn't as flamboyant as it used to be. I hate the screaming hollering requirement to prove that you are religious.

In general, I notice treating mental health for black people is different. White mental health methods love to relive the past and have you talk endlessly about the same damn problems. The goal is to understand behavior. But if circumstances motivating the behavior don't change, then on cannot change their life easily (see poverty).

Black mental health is more instructive and forces you to move toward a definitive goal, despite the circumstances.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Lobby General Discussion topic #13300228 Previous topic | Next topic