Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13299576

Subject: "Palessi" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 08:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Palessi"

Haha.. suckers.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/payless-opened-a-fake-luxury-store-palessi-to-see-how-much-people-would-pay-for-20-shoes/

If you serve fast food on white tablecloths in a tony-looking restaurant, people sometimes think it’s haute cuisine. (At the very least, it tastes a lot different than it does when you’re scarfing it down from a drive-through bag).

It turns out you can do the same for bargain kicks by showcasing the footwear against the kind of chic backdrop usually reserved for luxury labels like Jimmy Choo and getting people to pay outrageous markups.

That’s what Payless did recently in Santa Monica, taking over a former Armani store and stocking it with $19.99 pumps and $39.99 boots. The chain, via agency DCX Growth Accelerator, invited groups of influencers to the grand opening of “Palessi” and asked their opinions on the “designer” wares.

Party goers, having no idea they were looking at discount staples from the mall scene, said they’d pay hundreds of dollars for the stylish shoes, praising the look, materials and workmanship. Top offer: $640, which translates to an 1,800 percent markup, and Palessi sold about $3,000 worth of product in the first few hours of the stunt.

Palessi

Payless, or “Palessi,” did ring up those purchases but didn’t keep the money. Influencers got their cash back, along with free shoes. Their reactions caught in the short- and longer-form ads—those shocked “gotcha” moments—are fairly priceless.

The retailer “wanted to push the social experiment genre to new extremes, while simultaneously using it to make a cultural statement,” said Doug Cameron, DCX Growth Accelerator’s chief creative officer. “Payless customers share a pragmatist point of view, and we thought it would be provocative to use this ideology to challenge today’s image-conscious fashion influencer culture.”

Payless CMO Sarah Couch says the chain aimed to tackle the brand’s perception issues head-on at a time when retailers are feeling more heat than ever from giant ecommerce sites.

“The campaign plays off of the enormous discrepancy and aims to remind consumers we are still a relevant place to shop for affordable fashion,” Couch says.

Ads will run on cable TV networks like Bravo, Lifetime, TBS, Telemundo and USA and on social channels like YouTube, Facebook and Instagram through the holidays.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol! I dig this.
Nov 30th 2018
This is a lot more plausible than when Pizza Hut tried this with their
Nov 30th 2018
im not big on fashion
Nov 30th 2018
Me either
Nov 30th 2018
I get their point, but...
Nov 30th 2018
naw it's not
Nov 30th 2018
last i checked their quality is garbage
Nov 30th 2018
Do women wear expensive shoes every day?
Nov 30th 2018
      No, but this experiment was about passing them off as upscale
Nov 30th 2018
Speaking of Payless, what's up with Fila's
Nov 30th 2018

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol! I dig this. "
In response to Reply # 0

I was in Wal Mart over Thanksgiving (*shudders*) with my lil bro and stumbled on these joints right here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tredsafe-Men-s-Passit-Slip-Resistant-Work-Shoe/596973453

They kinda tough IMHO...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 09:42 AM

2. "This is a lot more plausible than when Pizza Hut tried this with their "
In response to Reply # 0

gross pasta. I didn't believe those ads for a second, the fuck kind of nice Italian place only had chicken alfredo and "meatball marinara" on the menu?

Plus, most people genuinely can't tell the difference between sneakers (I'm including myself in most people.)

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 10:32 AM

3. "im not big on fashion"
In response to Reply # 0

just dont give me a knock off brand, no mikes or reboks. i dont care if im rocking store brand equate shoes if the price is right and they last me long enough lol

most of the luxury market is just based on image and sale price. not on value.

not for me.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 10:36 AM

4. "Me either"
In response to Reply # 3

When I see a basic ass $300 boat shoe with a Gucci logo... smh

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I get their point, but..."
In response to Reply # 0

In terms of quality of shoe construction, materials, etc., are Payless-type shoes of considerably different quality than the high end ones? In other words, in the long-run, would these types of shoes physically hold up to the expensive ones?

The people who would have taken the shoes home and worn them might have realized over time that the quality was different (if the quality is, in fact, different, which I suspect it is).

I know the craftsmanship of my less expensive shoes doesn't hold up to my more expensive ones after even just maybe a month and a half, or so. But maybe that's a function of how men's shoes are made. Maybe it's different with women's shoes?

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 10:51 AM

6. "naw it's not"
In response to Reply # 5

Maybe it's different with women's
>shoes?
>
>

After even one or two times of wearing those shoes, most people would have been able to tell that it was payless quality shoes and not well made. Cheap shoes always fall apart mad quick.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 11:04 AM

7. "last i checked their quality is garbage"
In response to Reply # 5

better off getting brand name shoes on clearance. i will pay payless prices on 3 year old shoes instead lol.

i stick to paying $35-50 for shoes. will last me over a year. pretty sure payless shoes wouldnt make it past 3 months.

when i was with the ex we would only get payless for dress shoes we would know the kids would only wear once or twice.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 12:18 PM

9. "Do women wear expensive shoes every day? "
In response to Reply # 5

Unless it’s some hand stitched hand made shy I think the quality is pretty much the same on most shoes.

But I could be wrong.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 12:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "No, but this experiment was about passing them off as upscale"
In response to Reply # 9

designer shoes.

When anyone pays ~$300+ for a pair of shoes, you're expecting quality, not just a name.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 11:08 AM

8. "Speaking of Payless, what's up with Fila's"
In response to Reply # 0

I see them in Payless and I also see them in regular sneaker stores.

Can brands really play both lanes like that?

Also, I was at an Addidas outlet and they had some 25 sneakers that looked very much like a 60 pair I use to have. I bought the 25 sneakers and wearing them for a day I realized they feel like shit.

I was hesitant to buy some 25 sneakers even though they were Adidas, and I was probably right.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13299576 Previous topic | Next topic