Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13298681

Subject: "Being Black Abroad- Bakari Henderson in Greece" Previous topic | Next topic
Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 07:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Being Black Abroad- Bakari Henderson in Greece"
Fri Nov-23-18 08:01 AM by Mori

This story is so sad. Especially knowing this kid's parents put so much work into raising a solid young man.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/world/europe/greece-american-bakari-henderson.html

But this speaks to a bigger issue. I was once abroad and walking in an upscale neighborhood alone. I was accused of being a prostitute. I was the only dark skinned, kinky haired woman in a town of mulattos. Everyone though I was Haitian or Jamaican.

Luckily, I was never hurt or injured but I do remember feeling like I was in a jungle and no one was looking out for me. No police, no friends and the US government treads lightly on intervening.

Maybe this kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time but either way, this was a racially motivated attack.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Man... Very sad read. Sounds like these Serbs were
Nov 23rd 2018
Unless traveling in a group I think
Nov 23rd 2018
I'd take precaution worldwide. People *hate* when they think black men.....
Nov 23rd 2018
My biggest fear when going abroad.
Nov 23rd 2018
shit happens. been to greece, been to serbia, no problems...solo too
Nov 23rd 2018
ok? thanks for that captain callous
Nov 24th 2018
You're welcome.
Nov 24th 2018
Weird way to stunt about your international travel.
Nov 26th 2018
Can't confirm, but story was his frat bros stood and watched
Nov 24th 2018
Victim Blaming? Black Male Envy? White Women?
Nov 24th 2018
So.... you agree with Riot
Nov 24th 2018
When you word it that way...maybe
Nov 24th 2018
      You are all over the place.
Nov 24th 2018
You got to teach your boys they can't get away with the things
Nov 26th 2018
live without fear.
Nov 26th 2018
Oh he was one of those kinda n***as, LOL.
Nov 24th 2018
      could happen to YOU type of nigga too
Nov 26th 2018
      SMH lol
Nov 26th 2018
      LOL
Nov 26th 2018
      LMAO
Nov 26th 2018
Yeah, travelling abroad while Black can be off putting and even dangerou...
Nov 28th 2018

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 09:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Man... Very sad read. Sounds like these Serbs were"
In response to Reply # 0

Happily living up to the stereotype.

Hate to say it, but glad they are at least spending some time in jail. Letting them off completely would not have been a great shock

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 01:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Unless traveling in a group I think"
In response to Reply # 0

it's best to be mindful where you go.

I don't trust these devils or negropeans.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13586 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I'd take precaution worldwide. People *hate* when they think black men....."
In response to Reply # 0

...are taking "their" (lol) women. Young man literally got lynched.

Gotta have at least a few heads with you as a black man or else folks get heart and attitude all of a sudden, saying slick shit and thinking they can bully you around.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79824 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 04:11 PM

4. "My biggest fear when going abroad. "
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

IsaIsaIsa
Member since May 01st 2008
5862 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 09:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "shit happens. been to greece, been to serbia, no problems...solo too"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-23-18 09:05 PM by IsaIsaIsa

www.Tupreme.com

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 12:37 AM

6. "ok? thanks for that captain callous"
In response to Reply # 5

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

IsaIsaIsa
5862 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 06:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "You're welcome."
In response to Reply # 6

www.Tupreme.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49518 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 10:22 AM

15. "Weird way to stunt about your international travel. "
In response to Reply # 5

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Can't confirm, but story was his frat bros stood and watched"
In response to Reply # 0

And his mom's odd statement on "raising him color blind" Possibly led to him joining an all white frat and thinking everything was sweet

I never go to white countries simply cuz there's nothing there I want to see

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 10:52 AM

8. "Victim Blaming? Black Male Envy? White Women? "
In response to Reply # 7
Sat Nov-24-18 10:55 AM by Mori

So his parents are at fault for exposing their son to his options in the world? I don't see how this excuses him getting beaten to death at a touristy location.

The only theme I see that keeps recurring is that there is a certain type of Black American man who desires white male company and white women at the expense of their lives. Thinking of Undercover brother when he called them the black man's kryptonite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G4glp986Q

I don't have a son, but I have younger cousins who exclusively party, date, and hang with white women. They do not walk around with the fear (that I have), that a white person will retaliate because of black comfort with white women. Henderson took MANY selfies with white women and particularly this white women at a bar in Greece which drew attention and prompted his death. Again, I don't get the obsession with white women, but I don't think this man should be killed because of it.

I also don't see the inverse. Black women flaunting with white men in all white crowds. Usually a black woman dating a white male carries a different composure, as she is grateful and afraid to bring attention to herself.

Emmitt Till still rings in my head. If I have a black son, I will raise him to know that he is beautiful and that a capturing the white man's woman is not an honor. She is just another tool in the arsenal of racial division.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
79824 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 11:20 AM

9. "So.... you agree with Riot"
In response to Reply # 8

While we should be able to kick it and chill wherever and however we want.. that’s not how the world works.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 11:34 AM

10. "When you word it that way...maybe"
In response to Reply # 9

But I don't agree with the notion that you shouldn't go to white countries for fear of racism. Just prepare yourself.

It is the same as some of my male /female friends who go to the islands and find love. Don't think Dexter St. Jacques or the local Cardi B doesn't have a whole family to feed while you are enjoying a weekend fling. Pay that person for the romantic services rendered and keep it moving.

It is more a bit of American bravado regardless of race but mixed in with the awareness that we are still black.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
79824 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 01:37 PM

11. "You are all over the place. "
In response to Reply # 10

You lost me with the pay statement.

I think it’s about preference. If you like white meat and white spaces the chances of something popping off over racial shit definitely increases.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49518 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 10:21 AM

14. "You got to teach your boys they can't get away with the things"
In response to Reply # 8

their white friends can.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85115 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 11:38 AM

18. "live without fear."
In response to Reply # 8

<--- Big Baller World Order

IsaIsaIsa
5862 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 06:16 PM

13. "Oh he was one of those kinda n***as, LOL."
In response to Reply # 7

www.Tupreme.com

rdhull
Charter member
33145 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "could happen to YOU type of nigga too "
In response to Reply # 13

>
>>www.Tupreme.com

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 11:12 AM

17. "SMH lol"

You are a damn fool.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 11:44 AM

19. "LOL"

=======================================
Coolin...

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 04:59 PM

20. "LMAO"

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8759 posts
Wed Nov-28-18 12:57 AM

21. "Yeah, travelling abroad while Black can be off putting and even dangerou..."
In response to Reply # 0

It's never simple or safe experiencing alienation by other groups, specifically Whites or Europeans while traveling.

When I traveled to Europe to backpack back around 2000, I had a number of experiences similar to the OP.

I remember walking out of a train station in Berlin to go to a meeting point to walk on a tour of the city. As I'm walking along, something makes me look up. I see a couple of men, who looked like skinheads walking on the otherside of the crosswalk among a throng of people making their way into the station.

I turn away slightly away but notice them looking at me. I look back at them and keep walking but notice a sense of rage behind their stare.

I thought that it was good I was at the station in the day because if they had caught me walking along at night I could have ended up with the crap beaten out of me or worse.

It was odd to experience the type of racism where not only is your presence not welcome but taken as a direct affront which can only be resolved by an act of violence.

Plus, if something did happen, who would I turn for help in a completely foreign place?

There was the time I almost got mugged in a Hungarian train station which I don't necessarily think was racial but just because I was alone and Western. I say that because these same thugs managed to grab the purse of someone else on the train. It had her passport and money. Really harrowing situation.

Thankfully, I managed to get out of that unscathed.

My brother actually had someone put their hands to him while he was living in Taiwan about ten years ago. He got out of the situation well enough.

But for as enriching as travelling abroad can be to your worldview or sense of Self, there's a sense of vigilance simply for being a POC that is enmeshed in the experience.

Unfortunately in the case of the young man it led to his life being lost.

There are pockets of tolerance in many places of the world, but I don't think I appreciated how anti-POC the places I visited were. Because there simply aren't sizable minorities in much of Europe, they haven't had to confront the ignorance of their values and change or update their outlook on men and women of color.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13298681 Previous topic | Next topic