Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13298459

Subject: "Widows- aka Hollywood wasting good black talent vs audience snoozing" Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Nov-20-18 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Widows- aka Hollywood wasting good black talent vs audience snoozing"

Which I'm not saying is what happens in Widows

Quite the opposite...it's pretty good, unconventional story (too unconventional?), solid cast, commentary on trump, local politics, race dynamics, McQueen setting up some ill visuals, good action, aaaaand currently bombing in ticket sales. Opening night late show was like 20% full

I wanted to make a post abt the studios wasting the likes of viola, Angela Bassett, fishburne, and other top level actors' whole careers, either as sidekicks/supporting characters or just not happening period bc the "serious" scripts/ projects with Black leads don't get made.

But the studios' argument is always that nobody goes to those films. They run algorithms with different actors,genres, etc to see if its worth giving $40M to a black director and black female lead to do a bank heist movie, and if its not projected to make money, typically the film doesnt get made. when one does get made, and immediately flames out, it reinforces the studios' argument. So it's back to kevin hart/tyler Perry comedies & rom-com, sad "important" and/or white saviour historical films (greenbook), or nothing.

So is it still #oscarssowhite and folk mad about no representation,
or is this too much analysis off one data point,
or is the audience just waiting on the sidelines for the next tiffany hadish & madea, or Michael b Jordan's abs in another reboot?

::BC every blakk film is a reflection on black Hollywood and calls for dissection of the black movie-going audience::

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
White movies flop on the regular so none of this should matter.
Nov 20th 2018
Honestly, I thought it was mis-marketed. They made it look too serious.
Nov 20th 2018
it has so many actors in it
Nov 24th 2018
Its being distributed like an art house film.
Nov 20th 2018
am i wrong in feeling like Heat and Set it Off had a baby?
Nov 21st 2018
Made me want to just go and watch Heat
Nov 21st 2018
it was good.
Nov 21st 2018
      bruh.
Nov 24th 2018
i don't see an audience for Widows
Nov 21st 2018
Divorced and single women?
Nov 21st 2018
My guess is, people who like good movies.
Nov 21st 2018
I prolly would have been really interested in this if not for Michelle R...
Nov 21st 2018
Just saw it.Viola Davis should never carry a movie. It was good/decent
Nov 24th 2018
It was DOPE.
Nov 24th 2018
joint was pretty good...nice twist...I was pleased
Dec 09th 2018

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Tue Nov-20-18 07:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "White movies flop on the regular so none of this should matter."
In response to Reply # 0

Brad Pitts last movies flopped he still gets to do what ever he wants basically. They make so many movies that don’t do anything money wise this should never come up as an issue

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Tue Nov-20-18 07:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Honestly, I thought it was mis-marketed. They made it look too serious."
In response to Reply # 0

When, in fact, it's a funny, pulpy, violent slow-burn thriller with some complexities sprinkled into the mix.

The movie in the trailer seemed incredibly grim and Capital-D Dramatic. People don't want to see that shit in their heist movies. They want fun, they want scenery chewing, they want twists. This movie has ALL of that.

Why, for instance, did they not mention it was co-written by the creator of Gone Girl? That feels like a no-duh marketing decision.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 05:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "it has so many actors in it"
In response to Reply # 2

that practically all of them have their own following to an extent and I was like "wait, THEY'RE in this?"

the whole movie

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Tue Nov-20-18 07:54 PM

3. "Its being distributed like an art house film. "
In response to Reply # 0

Thats why it ain't making money.

------------------
One Hundred.

jdub1313
Charter member
4731 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 11:36 AM

4. "am i wrong in feeling like Heat and Set it Off had a baby?"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw it last weekend (ATL) and the theater was packed. i loved it but I don't see a lot of movies these days.

Only thing it was missing was the super loud gun battle in downtown, but i kinda wanna go see it again to support.

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2051 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 02:04 PM

7. "Made me want to just go and watch Heat "
In response to Reply # 4

tariqhu
Charter member
17861 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 07:56 PM

9. "it was good."
In response to Reply # 4

it did remind me of set it off. not the whole movie, but just a scene or two.

never saw heat.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35208 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 05:21 AM

12. "bruh."
In response to Reply # 9

>never saw heat.
>

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 11:50 AM

5. "i don't see an audience for Widows"
In response to Reply # 0

it looks like a good movie (cast looks A1) but the first thing i thought was "who is this for?" i'm surprised it got made tbh.

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 12:44 PM

6. "Divorced and single women? "
In response to Reply # 5

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44809 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 10:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "My guess is, people who like good movies. "
In response to Reply # 5

It's got some flaws, but good movies have flaws.

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Wed Nov-21-18 06:56 PM

8. "I prolly would have been really interested in this if not for Michelle R..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-21-18 06:57 PM by kevlar skully

Michelle Rodriguez

I can't stand her and her being cast made me think: "Do I even like this writer/director?"

"12 Years a Slave" is probably very fine but isn't at all the kind of films I'm dying to see.

In a year with folks pumped to see "Black Panther", "Sorry To Bother You" and "Blackkklansman"; if "Widows" didn't have real hype around it; that's not on audiences, Imo

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 08:37 PM

13. "Just saw it.Viola Davis should never carry a movie. It was good/decent "
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 09:27 PM

14. "It was DOPE. "
In response to Reply # 0

Theater was packed. I am going to see it again.

------------------
One Hundred.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Sun Dec-09-18 06:08 PM

15. "joint was pretty good...nice twist...I was pleased "
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby General Discussion topic #13298459 Previous topic | Next topic