Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13295713

Subject: "New Albums - 11/02/2018" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16416 posts
Fri Nov-02-18 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Albums - 11/02/2018"

sorry for the delay, (jury)duty called.

almost caught up from last week. not really excited about anything this week. maybe i will check out action bronson, i just know the name. probably will check out swizz beatz but i was never big into his beats.

Last week's post:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13294511&mesg_id=13294511&page=2

If there are albums missing from the list below, please post them.

What albums will you be listening to?

Metacritic list:
https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date?view=detailed

Action Bronson - White Bronco
Barbra Streisand - Walls
Bill Ryder-Jones - Yawn
Dan Mangan - More Or Less
Dead Can Dance - Dionysus
Marianne Faithfull - Negative Capability
Moonface - This One's For The Dancer & This One's For The Dancer's Bouquet
Takeoff - The Last Rocket
Tenacious D - Post-Apocalypto
The Prodigy - No Tourists
Touche Amore - 10 Years/1000 Shows: Live at the Regent Theater
Vince Staples -

Not on list:
Swizz Beatz - Poison

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Rap Albums not listed
Nov 02nd 2018
been needing some new metro and this hit the spot
Nov 03rd 2018
Action Bronson - White Ghostface
Nov 09th 2018
RE: Action Bronson - White Ghostface
Nov 09th 2018
      yeah
Nov 09th 2018
           i guess if theres no response from a mod i will go with monthly
Nov 09th 2018
Vince Staples - FM!
Nov 09th 2018
Vince has been killing it for years now
Nov 09th 2018
      hes got me interested
Nov 09th 2018

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Nov-02-18 07:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: New Rap Albums not listed"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-02-18 07:27 PM by bearfield

Jay Critch - Hood Favorite

Lil Wop - Wopavelli 4

Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 6

Metro Boomin - NOT ALL HEROES WEAR CAPES

Freddie Gibbs & Curren$y - Fetti

--------------------------

Wopavelli 4 is pretty good. wop is finally managing a balance between keeping his weird gravelly delivery both listenable and ear-catching. he's also switching up his flows more, which is much needed. there are several great beats on this thing, mostly cohesive, mostly dark and sinister. wop has some pretty impressive adlibs generally but there are some songs where the left and right channels have different adlibs or the adlibs sound like they're milling about in front of the sound stage. there are two songs where an additional effect is added to his vocals to make them sound extra grainy and it's incredible. that doesn't seem like much in print but they bring a lot of texture to the songs

---------------------------

Fetti is unbalanced and underwhelming. not the best alch beats, far from the best curren$y verses (but definitely better than many curren$y verses), and top tier rapping from gibbs. i need to revisit it but i'm chalking it up as a miss after my first listen

Metro is trying to make a ye/travis scott album with Not All Heroes Wear Capes. i don't think he succeeds. it's a little over produced in some cases and in other cases pretty standard metro fare. the song with swae lee and travis scott is very good

Listening to critch and wsg tonight. I have high hopes for the rapping and low expectations for the beats on critch's project. the inverse is true for wsg's tape

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85086 posts
Sat Nov-03-18 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "been needing some new metro and this hit the spot"
In response to Reply # 1

great album aside from the 2 swae tracks and the dancehall joint.

21 savage sounds inspired.

<--- Big Baller World Order

mista k5
16416 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 11:38 AM

3. "Action Bronson - White Ghostface"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean Bronco

like i said, i had never actually listened to his stuff. the production on this is so nice. from a quick search it looks like thats to be expected on his albums. besides sounding like ghost his rapping is eh. not the worse. the humor is good. dont know if that will grow on me or not.

overall i enjoyed it.

question for the mods before they lock this. would it be better for me to make a quarterly post and keep updating it weekly?

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 11:59 AM

4. "RE: Action Bronson - White Ghostface"
In response to Reply # 3

>question for the mods before they lock this. would it be
>better for me to make a quarterly post and keep updating it
>weekly?

How about one per month? Update the original post weekly.
Quarterly is not often enough imo. Too much content.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 12:40 PM

5. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 4

>How about one per month? Update the original post weekly.
>Quarterly is not often enough imo. Too much content.

as for Action Bronson hasn't really captured my attention yet despite the fact that he rolls with a whole schwack of my staples like oh no etc...

I forgot about some of the things on this list.. I wasn't going to go the store today.. now I'm considering.

mista k5
16416 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 01:16 PM

7. "i guess if theres no response from a mod i will go with monthly"
In response to Reply # 5

i just want to avoid the posts getting locked. i think some people will come back to albums weeks later. a monthly or quarterly post will probably be easier for someone to look up albums they may have missed too.

dont know if next week will be the first monthly new post or to just reply under this weeks post with albums released next week.

can the mods combine posts?

mista k5
16416 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 01:14 PM

6. "Vince Staples - FM!"
In response to Reply # 0

another rapper i mostly just new by name. i know ive heard some songs, maybe an album by him before and he never stood out to me. i actually enjoyed this album though. Relay is probably my favorite song on it. such a short album but i didnt want it to be any longer lol.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 01:21 PM

8. "Vince has been killing it for years now"
In response to Reply # 6

his Hell Can Wait EP.. complete and total fire... Summertime 06 album freaking magnificent.. and he has not yet disappointed me with anything he's done since or before those.... can't say enough about this kid... plus his interviews are freaking hilarious.. he's intelligent, thoughtful and funny AF. I ride hard for him. keep listening fam!

mista k5
16416 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 01:24 PM

9. "hes got me interested"
In response to Reply # 8

Lobby General Discussion topic #13295713 Previous topic | Next topic