Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13293228

Subject: "My first foray into totally wireless earbuds" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My first foray into totally wireless earbuds"

So...for the record, I'm not really an earbud person. They just don't work well, for me. I rock over the ear joints (cans) and something with an ear hook. My curiosity was peaked when I saw a pop-up ad for these:
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/soundsport-free-wireless.html

A lot of digging and research and reading reviews led me to decide on these:
https://www.jabra.com/bluetooth-headsets/jabra-elite-65t/long?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw8qhuqSa3gIVy5-zCh3cGwf6EAAYAiAAEgKHJ_D_BwE

But...goofing around with my son in the electronics department at Walmart, I saw these:
https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/jbuds-air-true-wireless-earbuds-charging-case

I was like:
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-25-2015/JOqSsL.gif
for $50 bucks, even if they are trash...I can rock with them or return em real quick. So, I copped. Then I went home and read all the reviews I could find on em...and they got really decent reviews. One of the knocks I kept seeing was they are base-heavy and the low, mids, blah, blah, blah. I am not an audiophile. Plus, I use headphones for walking, biking or lifting. I love bass in headphones...even to the point of being a bit muddy. I have given headphones away for not having enough bass.
So, I go ahead and set em up...(super easy), throw on some Lupe and...they sound really good. They've got three preset equalizer settings. They come with little rubber fins that you can leave on or off and a few different sizes of ear tips. It says the charge time is 3.5 hours for the buds and 10.5 for the charging case. I wore them around the house doing chores for a couple of hours. They were pretty comfortable and didn't once feel like they might come out. One thing I didn't like right off was the little USB plug in that's made onto the charging case is like 3 inches long. I fixed that easily by copping a 3ft USB extender off Amazon for $5. Haven't used these at the gym, yet, but I'm hyped for tomorrow morning. I'll update with more after a few actual workouts. I still may get the Jabra joints...they are markedly better, feature-wise and I've seen them on Ebay new for way less than retail.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they look pretty cool
Oct 22nd 2018
lol...I wear cans at the gym with no shame...
Oct 22nd 2018
the fuck are "cans"?
Oct 23rd 2018
      big headphones that go around your ear
Oct 23rd 2018
Haven't rocked wires since my first pair of IconX. I was sold!
Oct 22nd 2018
they don't (ambient sound) and the Jabras...
Oct 22nd 2018
Honestly, It's a feature I THOUGHT i'd use a lot, but in reality I rarel...
Oct 22nd 2018
I also have the IconX
Oct 23rd 2018
hmm, not on Amazon Prime yet
Oct 22nd 2018
i love my Bose Soundsport Frees like you wouldn't believe...
Oct 22nd 2018
JLabs are cool but..
Oct 22nd 2018
yah...I got the 2 year joint for 4.99
Oct 22nd 2018
^^
Oct 23rd 2018
Here's my experience with earbuds going out on the wireless joints..
Oct 22nd 2018
      word.
Oct 23rd 2018
Just dabbling I bought these $60 earbuds...
Oct 22nd 2018
16 hr playback time??
Oct 22nd 2018
sounds reasonable...
Oct 22nd 2018
what does that mean?
Oct 22nd 2018
      yeah, so...
Oct 22nd 2018
I wouldn't know. I usually just use on commute back to forth to work
Oct 22nd 2018
      thats cool for your use. i use my headphones around 6hrs/day n/m
Oct 23rd 2018
           Are those 6 hours continuous?
Oct 23rd 2018
                whew! me, either...
Oct 23rd 2018
                like 3 hours before then after lunch
Oct 23rd 2018
                     That's the thing - they would get charged in the case during lunch.
Oct 23rd 2018
                          sounds reasonable
Oct 23rd 2018
                               I’m guessing on how often you’d need to charge the case.
Oct 23rd 2018
nice...looks like they have a similar charging setup...
Oct 22nd 2018
I've been jogging once with them. Worked fine.
Oct 22nd 2018
look like Samsung IconX knockoffs...which means they're probably...
Oct 22nd 2018
My first pair of wireless bluetooths
Oct 22nd 2018
that sounds incredibly frustrating...
Oct 22nd 2018
I love my Jabra Elite 65t's.
Oct 22nd 2018
yeah, even if these are as cool as I think they'll be...
Oct 22nd 2018
      The app is nice - but I don't use it regularly.
Oct 23rd 2018
      I should also mention, the most important thing for all of these
Oct 23rd 2018
Glad yours are working out.
Oct 23rd 2018
I got the ones Ray-J was selling
Oct 24th 2018
have they IconX's and didn't work for me
Oct 24th 2018
after 1 week...
Oct 29th 2018
nice eval...
Oct 29th 2018
do people with really small ears have issues with wireless ones?
Feb 05th 2019
nope. i'm in that small ear camp. no issue at all.
Feb 06th 2019
HV 358 Pro I own two pair. "They're great" (c) Tony T
Feb 05th 2019

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they look pretty cool"
In response to Reply # 0

that might be my next move when i decide cans at work is too weird lol

as long as no one tells me i cant wear the cans at work im going to keep rocking them. at some point i might want to go this route though.

do you feel like a special agent with them though?

ive traditionally been more of a bargain hunter. i feel good buying something on the cheap that is almost as good as the top price stuff.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 10:37 AM

2. "lol...I wear cans at the gym with no shame..."
In response to Reply # 1

a lot of people do. I don't wear them at work. I got some cheap earbuds that stay at my desk. If they do as well as I think they will at staying put, I think I will love them. I know me, though...those Jabras are probably gonna get copped and I'll give these to my son.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 08:38 AM

25. "the fuck are "cans"?"
In response to Reply # 1

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 09:14 AM

27. "big headphones that go around your ear"
In response to Reply # 25

in my case:

https://img.newatlas.com/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-review-1.JPG?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&fit=crop&h=347&q=60&rect=156%2C164%2C1296%2C730&w=616&s=1ceac5ef87495dd0b766d590f8f27788

not saying i like the term but pretty much anyone understands what you mean when you say cans when talking about headphones. point being that they are not subtle, at all.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 10:52 AM

3. "Haven't rocked wires since my first pair of IconX. I was sold!"
In response to Reply # 0

I now go between IconX 2nd gen and a set of Anker Zolo joints I got from Kickstarter.
Hands down I don't see ever going back to wired earbuds....
MAYBE cans...but even that's hard because i've never actively used cans even though I own 2 very decent sets.
I feel more weird with big assed headphones on vs. these secret agent in ear joints.
I think the only feature of the more expensive joints that you might enjoy is the ambient sound mode that most have. No sure if the $49 ones you got have that feature or not.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 11:08 AM

4. "they don't (ambient sound) and the Jabras..."
In response to Reply # 3

have a feature called "Hearthrough", you can activate. Pretty sure I will get them in a minute, but I want to fully rock with these for a couple few weeks.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:00 PM

7. "Honestly, It's a feature I THOUGHT i'd use a lot, but in reality I rarel..."
In response to Reply # 4

do. Even on the bicycle.
Basically how it works on pretty much all of them is that the external mic pipes in sound, processes it, and plays it back to you...it's not very "natural" sounding as you'd hope. On the bike & while pretty much doing anything active, the WIND noise is piped in and amplified..which is decidedly NOT a good thing.

With that said, the Bose and others may come up with some sort of sound cancelling wizardry to counteract this phenomenon... so def. do your research before "upgrading".

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 09:20 AM

29. "I also have the IconX"
In response to Reply # 3

they are great!

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 11:16 AM

5. "hmm, not on Amazon Prime yet"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe I hit Walmart. Been meaning to get my wife a pair of wireless but reviews are so hit or miss on what's available, and I wasn't dying to spend $150 on something that might not be great.

$50 on something that might not be great but should be okay, though, well then.

Thanks for the tip.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 11:26 AM

6. "i love my Bose Soundsport Frees like you wouldn't believe..."
In response to Reply # 0

..after using the Soundsport Wireless series for the past few years, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Frees.

You won't look back.

The balance of sound, clarity, and delivery (hi/mid/low): all top-notch. That and the fact that you can share music with multiple bluetooth devices.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:03 PM

8. "JLabs are cool but.."
In response to Reply # 0

I suggest you get the protection plan.

I have the wired bluetooth joints, and they're actually cool, but I've had the right speaker go out twice. I copped the protection plan from Best Buy just so I could exhange without any issues.

Assuming they're manufactured to the same standard, it wouldn't hurt.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:29 PM

9. "yah...I got the 2 year joint for 4.99"
In response to Reply # 8

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 01:30 PM

34. "^^"
In response to Reply # 9

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 01:14 PM

16. "Here's my experience with earbuds going out on the wireless joints.."
In response to Reply # 8

I assumed it was a short in the cable...but....they ain't got CABLES!..

So I got to tinkering...pulled the lil filter/grill thing out of the hole where the sound comes from....soaked it in alcohol...stuck it back (the Samsung joints have this super strong glue of some sort) and voila...sound is back. So the grills just got clogged with ear wax...

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 01:30 PM

33. "word. "
In response to Reply # 16

I cleaned my wax buildup (and my friggin EARS, LOL) with some 'dust free' (be careful..you'll literally blow the screens off).

problem solved.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:41 PM

10. "Just dabbling I bought these $60 earbuds..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079PVMPB6

And they have been dope!

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:43 PM

11. "16 hr playback time??"
In response to Reply # 10

how true is that?

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:46 PM

13. "sounds reasonable..."
In response to Reply # 11

even though, that's a win at that price-point. Mine say a total of 14 (3.5+10.5) Another reason why I'm sure I will get those Jabras...the playback for the buds alone is said to be 5 hours.

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:58 PM

14. "what does that mean?"
In response to Reply # 13

the buds alone give you 3.5hrs then you need to put them in the case to get another 10hrs?

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 01:01 PM

15. "yeah, so..."
In response to Reply # 14

you plug the actual case up to a USB and it "holds" power. You put the earbuds in and it powers them. So...say you had the whole setup in your bag. The buds can go for 3.5 and then you pop them in the case to recharge without having to plug in, anywhere.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 06:34 PM

22. "I wouldn't know. I usually just use on commute back to forth to work"
In response to Reply # 11

30 minutes each way. Or at the gym (1 hour). Not in use they are in the charging case. Charging case ends up charging ever other night I suppose. Using like this, I haven't had an interruption of service.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 09:16 AM

28. "thats cool for your use. i use my headphones around 6hrs/day n/m"
In response to Reply # 22

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 10:57 AM

30. "Are those 6 hours continuous? "
In response to Reply # 28

I couldn't have buds in my ears that long at once.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 11:13 AM

31. "whew! me, either..."
In response to Reply # 30

I'm at the gym about 1.5 hours. The park I walk takes me about an hour to walk. On the bike I use my Powerbeats, because I like the ear-hook.

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 11:34 AM

32. "like 3 hours before then after lunch"
In response to Reply # 30

maybe one or two bathroom breaks in between.

these are over the ear headphones. i might take them off more often. when someone walks into the office i usually take them off in case i need to listen to them.

so comfort wise there are breaks but they stay powered on for basically 6 hrs a day.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 01:35 PM

35. "That's the thing - they would get charged in the case during lunch."
In response to Reply # 32

I literally never have to think about charging my Jabras. Because wireless earbuds are so small and easy to lose if not in the case, they are ALWAYS either in my ears or being charged in the case. The Jabras are spec'd out at 5 hours of continuous battery life, but I've never had them charge down because even if I'm just taking them out of my ears for bathroom breaks or lunch at work, that's enough to charge them. Plug in the case every few days, and it's good to go.

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 02:48 PM

36. "sounds reasonable"
In response to Reply # 35

would be nice if you only needed to charge the case once a week but daily isnt bad or every other day.

i charge my headphones every night. i might be able to get two days out of them but i dont like to risk it. i could use the cord too or plug them in at lunch if need be.

the charging case for buds is a great idea. was that something apple actually did first?

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 05:44 PM

37. "I’m guessing on how often you’d need to charge the case. "
In response to Reply # 36

I charge mine maybe once a week, but I’m not using the buds 6 hours a day every day. There’s a green/yellow/red led battery indicator on the case that I charge as soon as it goes yellow.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 12:44 PM

12. "nice...looks like they have a similar charging setup..."

to the ones I copped. How have they been with you being active while wearing them?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 06:33 PM

21. "I've been jogging once with them. Worked fine. "
In response to Reply # 12

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 01:16 PM

17. "look like Samsung IconX knockoffs...which means they're probably..."

Samsung IconX's with a different badge lol...
Which means they should be a GREAT deal...
Peep my reply above about cleaning if you ever have what seems like one of the earbuds go out....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:00 PM

18. "My first pair of wireless bluetooths"
In response to Reply # 0

I had to pair each one on my phone every time I used them.

sometimes if I turned the wrong way or my phone was at my desk, I would lose the connection. Then the units would be out of sync with each other. I got tired of that so I have them in a drawer at home.

Are these better?

I have a Samsung 8 plus.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:11 PM

19. "that sounds incredibly frustrating..."
In response to Reply # 18

I will say that SO FAR...these have worked as they are supposed to. When you take them off and put them in their little charging pod, they power off. When you remove them, they automatically turn on and connect to my phone. Or you can just power them on/off with the buttons on them. I also like that they have a little voice that says shit like "goodbye, hello, charge level is ____ and whatever EQ setting you have on.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:13 PM

20. "I love my Jabra Elite 65t's. "
In response to Reply # 0

They fit in my ear almost as good as the custom molded in ear monitors I use on stage as a musician. Sound great, and the charging case is excellent.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 06:55 PM

23. "yeah, even if these are as cool as I think they'll be..."
In response to Reply # 20

I like some of the features on the Jabras too much to not cop. How is the Jabra sound app?

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 07:52 AM

24. "The app is nice - but I don't use it regularly."
In response to Reply # 23

I basically used the Jabra app when I first got them to set up a few things like EQ and volume, along with setting up my preferences for HearThrough (I love using that feature at work). Once you experiment and have the settings you like locked in, there's not really a reason to use the app besides using it for firmware updates.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 08:53 AM

26. "I should also mention, the most important thing for all of these"
In response to Reply # 23

true wireless earbuds is the fit, and that's gonna be different for every person. Some really cheap joints that fit your ear well are gonna be much better for you than expensive joints that don't get a good seal in your ear (which means the bass response will suck) or fall out of your ears because the fit doesn't work.

I got lucky - the Jabras were the first I bought and they fit perfectly.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 08:01 PM

38. "Glad yours are working out."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-23-18 08:02 PM by obsidianchrysalis

About three years ago, I bought a pair of audio technica bluetooth earbuds

They weren't bad. I'm a wanna be audiophile and while the sound quality of the headphones wasn't great, the wireless setup was convenient.

Eventually one of the wires wore out so I swapped them out for a pair of wired earbuds. But I said I would get another Bluetooth set if the sound quality was better.

Last year my Klipsh wired earbuds had a short so I needed a new pair. The Klipsch's weren't on sale so I shopped for other pairs. On eBay a pair of Sony Bluetooth earbuds were on sale for less than $30 even though they retailed for close to $80.

Most of the reviews were positive in terms of the fit and finish and the sound quality.

So I went and bought a pair.

They've worked out really well. For Bluetooth headphones the sound quality is good, at least good enough for me. The earbuds hold about 10 hrs of charge. I spend a lot of time out on the bus or walking. Everday the earbuds may get two or three hours of use. But usually I'll charge them at my computer desk over nite.

I would recommend to anyone interested in Bluetooth earbuds to really consider a purchase. I think the one main complaint of Bluetooth headphones a few years ago was the audio quality but I think recent advancements have led to major improvements.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 11:32 AM

39. "I got the ones Ray-J was selling"
In response to Reply # 0

sent them back because they gave me the worst headaches ever.
Sound quality was decent tho.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "have they IconX's and didn't work for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't hold a charge for more than an hour, constantly losing sync with bluetooth, biggest waste of money. I haven't used them in a couple months, maybe there was a firmware update or something, but I don't think they are even supported anymore?

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:24 AM

41. "after 1 week..."
In response to Reply # 0

really happy with these. Absolutely worth $50. I have lifted, ridden the bike, walked and shot around on the court after my workout and haven't had any issues. I charged the case last Sunday night and didn't charge it again until this past Saturday. I love that you don't have to do anything when you take them out of the case except put them in your ear. A voice tells you when they're connected and what the battery charge is. I'm going to rock with these and see what the longevity is, before thinking about upgrading.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:29 AM

42. "nice eval..."
In response to Reply # 41

..sounds like Jabra has all the features you need.

I'm curious to know how well the hardware endures over the next 6 months/year. keep me posted.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 05:57 PM

43. "do people with really small ears have issues with wireless ones?"
In response to Reply # 0

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 06:53 AM

45. "nope. i'm in that small ear camp. no issue at all. "
In response to Reply # 43

Duc999
Member since Jun 05th 2009
1551 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 11:52 PM

44. "HV 358 Pro I own two pair. "They're great" (c) Tony T"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hv+358+Pro

video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-I91gRi3Q

Lobby General Discussion topic #13293228 Previous topic | Next topic