Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13291799

Subject: "Anyone ever been to Panama, Colombia, Ecudor, Peru, Chile, Agrentina, or..." Previous topic | Next topic
justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Oct-14-18 11:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone ever been to Panama, Colombia, Ecudor, Peru, Chile, Agrentina, or..."

I'm planning to backpack south America for about 3 weeks. Been doing a lot of research but I like to hear people's own stories.

Ups?
Downs?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Went to Bogota in 2011. FARC was still a threat then, but they've made
Oct 15th 2018
Colombia and Argentina are my main worries
Oct 15th 2018
Spent 6 months backpacking through Argentina, Uruguay, and Bolivia
Oct 15th 2018
thank you
Oct 15th 2018
      yea Bolivia makes it hard on US citizens
Oct 15th 2018
*sends out ConcreteCharlie bat signal*
Oct 15th 2018
Colombia is LIT.
Oct 15th 2018

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 12:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Went to Bogota in 2011. FARC was still a threat then, but they've made"
In response to Reply # 0

peace since then, so safety is much better now than before.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 12:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Colombia and Argentina are my main worries"
In response to Reply # 1

And not to say I'm worried, but they still require the most carefulness. Don't plan on being out at night very much, so I'm not too worried about Medellin and Bogota, but any advice is appreciated.

Argentina, for those wondering, has a bad counterfeit money problem.

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 09:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Spent 6 months backpacking through Argentina, Uruguay, and Bolivia"
In response to Reply # 0

Solo traveling is always more risky but I never felt unsafe. Counterfeit bills in Argentina shouldn't be a problem btw because you can either exchange cash at a legitimate "casa de cambio" or just take money out of an ATM.

Lots to see in South America and people in general are friendly and curious about foreigners. Practice your Spanish as it helps a whole lot and depending on the area, English levels can be minimal. If you've got street smarts you'll be alright.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 04:49 PM

5. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 3

question, what was your experience as far as getting a visa in bolivia? it looks like they want pictures, and a bunch of stuff to get one, and i don't feel like doing all that, but maybe i'm tripping.

i will be bringing some cash, but were you able to use your debit/credit card at most places you went?

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "yea Bolivia makes it hard on US citizens"
In response to Reply # 5

I remember I had to pay $150 or $200 for the reciprocity fee to enter, and my bills were fine but they said they weren't in perfect condition just to fuck with me and made me go find new bills. Whatever they ask you for there are places near the border that can help you print documents, take out money, take pictures, etc. It's up to you to decide if you think it's worth it. Salar de Uyuni was amazing and La Paz is a cool city. I don't regret the hassle at the border.

All the ATMs work fine with foreign credit cards and you can take out money no problem. You can also use your credit card at most restaurants, hotels, etc. Just make sure you tell your bank you're traveling so they don't turn off your card.

Lemme know if you have any more questions

Dstl1
Charter member
56221 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "*sends out ConcreteCharlie bat signal*"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Castro
Charter member
50738 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Colombia is LIT. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13291799 Previous topic | Next topic