Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13290594

Subject: "NY State Limousine Crash" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 08:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NY State Limousine Crash"

This has really been troubling me, the last couple of days. Unbelievably heart-breaking. 20 people dead. I can't even imagine the grief. 18 people in the limo and 2 pedestrians. There was a group of 4 sisters, multiple married couples, etc. Reading the details is...ugh. They originally rented a bus, but it broke down. They were sent a 2001 Ford Excursion, modified into a limo. One of the girls texted that the vehicle was in bad shape. Apparently, the vehicle failed a recent safety inspection and they are saying the driver was not properly licensed to operate it. Plus the company had a history of failed inspections and other vehicles being taken off the road. Then there is the release of information about the owner and him possibly being an FBI informant. This shit is going to go in SO many directions. Bottom line, though, is that 20 people are never going home to their families.

<<<< the Tate-over, ya breaks over

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sometimes you have to be willing to say no
Oct 09th 2018
man, I just wonder if any of them felt in their gut...
Oct 09th 2018
Extremely heartbreaking. Always sad to see entire extended families
Oct 09th 2018
yeah...didn't understand why that detail was needed...
Oct 09th 2018
      Makes him sound shady?
Oct 09th 2018
           I mean...he sounds shady enough...
Oct 09th 2018
                the anonymity helped?
Oct 09th 2018
very sad
Oct 09th 2018
I read an article that said that intersection has alot of accidents.
Oct 09th 2018
not sure if I did this link right, so...
Oct 09th 2018
Damn. That looks mad rural
Oct 09th 2018
      nah, it didn't catch fire...
Oct 09th 2018
the mechanic in me wonders about the vehicle, itself...
Oct 09th 2018
      The other article I read said that previous accidents have done the
Oct 09th 2018
      Haven't seen good pictures but it looks like one of those custom made
Oct 09th 2018
           I can say as far as the Big 3...they don't manufacture them...
Oct 09th 2018
                All that weight going downhill into a busy intersection? Sounds like a r...
Oct 10th 2018
One of the passengers texted
Oct 09th 2018
the son of the limousine company's owner has been arrested...
Oct 10th 2018
everything about this was wrong...
Oct 10th 2018
Black box? I’m surprised it had one.
Oct 10th 2018
      yah...GM has had them for some time...
Oct 10th 2018
Ever listen to that revisionist history about Brake Acceleration.
Oct 11th 2018

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
17218 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sometimes you have to be willing to say no"
In response to Reply # 0

And I think that’s very tough for us culturally
For this item
For the family that couldn’t swim but bypassed life vests
For the folks that don’t evacuate trains but they’re recommended not to.
This is so very sad.

-------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:54 AM

6. "man, I just wonder if any of them felt in their gut..."
In response to Reply # 1

that it wasn't right but went along because this was the homegirl's 30th birthday party and it was supposed to be a day of fun for everyone. Fuck. This is tearing me up. It could be anyone.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
42928 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:20 AM

2. "Extremely heartbreaking. Always sad to see entire extended families"
In response to Reply # 0

wiped out.

I saw the article about the owner being an FBI informant and I am not sure how that is relevant to the story though.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:56 AM

7. "yeah...didn't understand why that detail was needed..."
In response to Reply # 2

I've been seeing people saying that even if criminal charges are brought against him, he will simply just stay in Pakistan.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
58245 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 11:13 AM

10. "Makes him sound shady?"
In response to Reply # 7

shut up already, damn

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 11:15 AM

11. "I mean...he sounds shady enough..."
In response to Reply # 10

trash ass vehicles, driver without a CDL...

infin8
Charter member
9445 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 02:29 PM

12. "the anonymity helped?"
In response to Reply # 11

as an FBI resource, I'm guessing maybe he was in some witness protection program, or at the very least 'off the books'.

That may have enabled him to be a slumlord/bad businessman; I've read that he stayed in transitional housing, operated the business out of a abandoned lot ???? sent his relative to pick up rent/bounce.

I don't think anybody really cared about what he was doing, long as he had that info.

This shit is really sad tho. I thought it was 'terror-related', but it still isn't any less tragic that whoever this mufuga is can't drive and was in a raggedy SUV.

It's fucked up.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
8311 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "very sad"
In response to Reply # 0

Teknontheou
Charter member
31833 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I read an article that said that intersection has alot of accidents."
In response to Reply # 0

Unless the brakes went out, I'm not sure the limo itself was the problem. I was trying to find the address of the crash so I could look it up on Google maps, but I haven't been able to find it.

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:52 AM

5. "not sure if I did this link right, so..."
In response to Reply # 4

if not here is the address of the store where the limo hit the SUV and killed the 2 pedestrians.

115 State Rt 30a, Schlohaire, NY

https://www.google.com/maps/place/115+NY-30A,+Schoharie,+NY+12157/@42.7000204,-74.3011472,3a,75y,307.17h,84.07t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sovXfDd7Vg0P8kf76eGidGA!2e0!3e11!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fmaps%2Fphotothumb%2Ffd%2Fv1%3Fbpb%3DChEKD21hcHNfc3YudGFjdGlsZRIgChIJne29EgYq3IkRN-zJRCTV6_UqCg0AAAAAFQAAAAAaBQhkEMsB%26gl%3DUS!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x89dc2a0612bded9d:0xf5ebd52444c9ec37!8m2!3d42.6997711!4d-74.3015087

legsdiamond
58245 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 02:44 PM

13. "Damn. That looks mad rural"
In response to Reply # 5

Car catch fire? I’m having a hard time with 18 people and none of them survived.

shut up already, damn

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 05:44 PM

17. "nah, it didn't catch fire..."
In response to Reply # 13

there is a picture of it lying in a ditch. I couldn't wrap my head around EVERY person inside dying either until I thought about it. We don't yet know how fast they were going, but...a 2001 Excursion...lets say it was the most base model...is roughly 7000lbs. Add in 18 people...say the average weight is 150lbs...that's 1200lbs. Then, throw in the additional weight of the modifications and you're looking at probably close to a 10,000lb object moving downhill at a high rate of speed, hitting a stationary SUV, careening off of it, into a ditch and striking a tree. The driver probably died instantly. The 17 people in back, if they weren't wearing seatbelts (which were not required...IF the limo even had them) would be thrown forward violently into the partition and then thrown again when the vehicle struck the tree. You're talking broken necks, fractures, blunt force trauma to heads and bodies, internal bleeding, etc.

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 10:59 AM

8. "the mechanic in me wonders about the vehicle, itself..."
In response to Reply # 4

and what role it played. They say the intersection is at the bottom
of a downward slope. They weren't going to that store, which means they were going to turn. How do you blow through a stop sign at that speed if you intend to make a turn. Did the drive pass out? Did he try to stop and mechanically could not? SO many questions.

Teknontheou
Charter member
31833 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 11:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "The other article I read said that previous accidents have done the"
In response to Reply # 8

same thing, but in the past there weren't parked cars that got slammed into - they would just run into a grassy/wooded area.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
42928 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 03:21 PM

14. "Haven't seen good pictures but it looks like one of those custom made"
In response to Reply # 8

limos. You ever see those limo's where it looked like someone took a regular ass car and welded it together with some other regular ass cars in their backyard to make one very long regular ass car?

That's what it sounded like to me.

Like maybe you know, but does the factory make cars that look like this? or is it home made?

https://seehawaiiadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/20180506_113944.jpg

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 03:35 PM

15. "I can say as far as the Big 3...they don't manufacture them..."
In response to Reply # 14

those joints are conversions. The one involved in this accident was a 2001 Ford Excursion, converted into a limo. I won't speak on this one, because I obviously don't have the specifics on it...but, the problem with most conversions is...kinda what you said. They basically cut the joint in half, add steel railing to extend it for as long as they want it and then add steel sheeting for the floor, and (hopefully) lateral stiffeners and weld it all back together. Not to mention a modified driveshaft, the long ass seats inside and outer body panels. That's alot of fucking weight added to the joint, then throw in 18 human beings and if the braking system and shit is not upgraded...ugh. Let me chill. I don't want to speculate. Shit really hurts my spirit, man.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
42928 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 08:13 PM

21. "All that weight going downhill into a busy intersection? Sounds like a r..."
In response to Reply # 15

For disaster.

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 05:24 PM

16. "One of the passengers texted"
In response to Reply # 0

"the motor is making everyone deaf", "when we get to the brewery we will all b deaf"

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 05:05 PM

18. "the son of the limousine company's owner has been arrested..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-10-18 05:07 PM by Dstl1

charged with criminally negligent homicide. The driver did not have a CDL. The Excursion failed safety inspection, last month and was ordered to be removed from service by DOT. Possibly more arrests and charges pending. Also...investigators have recovered the Excursions black box.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31334 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 05:26 PM

19. "everything about this was wrong..."
In response to Reply # 18

..damn shame.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

legsdiamond
58245 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 08:06 PM

20. "Black box? I’m surprised it had one. "
In response to Reply # 18

shut up already, damn

Dstl1
Charter member
46549 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 08:44 PM

22. "yah...GM has had them for some time..."
In response to Reply # 20

Ford, too. It's basically the airbag control module. In the event of a crash it will automatically record a pre-determined amount of information about multiple conditions like speed, throttle position, if the brakes were applied, if seat belts were engaged, etc. I remember a story from a some years ago at an automotive training I was at...the details are fuzzy, but...a high level dude (mayor, senator or something) was in an accident and wrecked a government issued car. He said he was doing the speed limit and had is seatbelt on, but when they polled the event recorder...dude was actually doing like a buck and didn't have his seat belt on, lol.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
42928 posts
Thu Oct-11-18 11:19 AM

23. "Ever listen to that revisionist history about Brake Acceleration. "
In response to Reply # 0

Gladwell basically made it that case that it's not a thing.

Comes to mind because I see someone making the case that that was the blame.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13290594 Previous topic | Next topic