Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13290422

Subject: "Taylor Swift Cares More About Black People Than Kanye Does Lol" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 09:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Taylor Swift Cares More About Black People Than Kanye Does Lol"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BopoXpYnCes/
-------------------------------------------------
I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.
I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway.
So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting! 🗳😃🌈
-------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL
Oct 07th 2018
#istandwithTswift
Oct 07th 2018
these maga hats are going crazy.
Oct 07th 2018
      I love it
Oct 07th 2018
      Bizarro world. Same people who wanted him lynched for snatching her VMA
Oct 07th 2018
2018 is wild
Oct 07th 2018
Tennessee values, from Reading Pennsylvania
Oct 08th 2018
^^^Where's a MAGA hat ironically.
Oct 08th 2018
It’s hilarious that you know this
Oct 08th 2018
I'm from Allentown, my grandparents are from reading
Oct 08th 2018
      Gotcha.. but it wouldn’t be something I would google
Oct 08th 2018
lmfao
Oct 08th 2018
Pennsylvania and Nashville are electing Democrats
Oct 08th 2018
Trump carried Pennsylvania and Tennessee
Oct 08th 2018
i don't see the difference fr fr
Oct 09th 2018
BTW, last week I saw 2 young brothers rocking MAGA hats. Thanks Kanye.
Oct 08th 2018
It's a big deal because she has a not-insignificant alt-right fanbase
Oct 08th 2018
posted it the day after her tour ends, I see you Taylor
Oct 08th 2018
It's not trendy ?
Oct 08th 2018
How hard is that ?
Oct 08th 2018
An Open Apology to Taylor Swift, Who Recently Discovered Racism
Oct 08th 2018
well racists live in a world where they are the victims
Oct 08th 2018

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 09:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 09:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "#istandwithTswift "
In response to Reply # 0

Ha

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 09:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "these maga hats are going crazy."
In response to Reply # 2

same people calling libs deranged for criticizing free thinker kanye west.

this nutbag said her career never recovered after kanye ended it.
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1049098893420634113

she just broke the us tour revenue record for a female artist lol
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanrolli/2018/08/01/taylor-swifts-reputation-tour-is-a-massive-success-looks-like-shes-relatable-after-all/#56e75fec4201

tay tay took them republican ticket dollars and went and supported some dems lol.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 09:59 PM

4. "I love it "
In response to Reply # 3

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 10:32 PM

5. "Bizarro world. Same people who wanted him lynched for snatching her VMA"
In response to Reply # 3

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Sun Oct-07-18 10:53 PM

6. "2018 is wild"
In response to Reply # 0

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 05:19 AM

7. "Tennessee values, from Reading Pennsylvania "
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't she out in Hollywood now, getting robbed with all the other celebrities...?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 08:19 AM

8. "^^^Where's a MAGA hat ironically. "
In response to Reply # 7

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 08:53 AM

11. "It’s hilarious that you know this"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 09:12 AM

13. "I'm from Allentown, my grandparents are from reading "
In response to Reply # 11

Never understood how people bought her down home on the ranch background

It's easily google-able.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 10:35 AM

17. "Gotcha.. but it wouldn’t be something I would google"
In response to Reply # 13

not respond with but since you are from close by it makes sense.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85072 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 09:11 AM

12. "lmfao"
In response to Reply # 7

<--- Big Baller World Order

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 11:55 AM

18. "Pennsylvania and Nashville are electing Democrats"
In response to Reply # 7

so it sounds like civil rights is spreading in 2018

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 02:39 PM

19. "Trump carried Pennsylvania and Tennessee "
In response to Reply # 18

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 08:11 AM

22. "i don't see the difference fr fr"
In response to Reply # 7

=======================================
Coolin...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts

9. "BTW, last week I saw 2 young brothers rocking MAGA hats. Thanks Kanye. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts

10. "It's a big deal because she has a not-insignificant alt-right fanbase"
In response to Reply # 0

Or at least one that likes to meme her.

Not going to impact her career in the same way that the Dixie Chicks were when they criticized Bush, Taylor Swift has been pop for a while now.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "posted it the day after her tour ends, I see you Taylor"
In response to Reply # 0

j/k I think it's kinda cool she's doing it in a thoughtful manner instead of supporting some trendy pick like Beto or whoever. It's funny because I went to her show last week (bday present for my wife, and yes I'm defensive lol) and anytime she would talk between songs she was so insanely derivative I was debating with my wife after the gig how long she could last off of HS-type material. But it's cool to see there's more to her than that.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 09:57 AM

16. "It's not trendy ? "
In response to Reply # 14

>j/k I think it's kinda cool she's doing it in a thoughtful
>manner instead of supporting some trendy pick like Beto or
>whoever.

>But it's cool to see there's
>more to her than that.

It's very careful.

---------------------------
Signature

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 09:52 AM

15. "How hard is that ? "
In response to Reply # 0

It's Kanye.

---------------------------
Signature

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 06:00 PM

20. "An Open Apology to Taylor Swift, Who Recently Discovered Racism"
In response to Reply # 0

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/an-open-apology-to-taylor-swift-who-recently-discovere-1829608924

An Open Apology to Taylor Swift, Who Recently Discovered Racism

Michael Harriot
38 minutes ago

Dear Taylor:

Can I call you Taylor? Or should I refer to you as Ms. Swift? Swifty? The Swiftress?

Look, I know you probably have no idea who I am. And if you do, I’m sure you don’t have a very high opinion of me. I won’t even try to deny that I have made fun of you, ad nauseam. I won’t even try to list all of the times I have disparaged your name, except to say that if I had a nickel for every time I threw shade at you, not only would I be a rich man, I would probably wonder where the fuck they got all those nickels and why the pay was so low.

Also, why nickels? Are you calling me a “nickeler?” That sounds a lot like “nigger,” Taylor.

I hope you aren’t still salty about that time I called you Beckyoncé or Mayonaisse Rihanna. I take back all that stuff I said about your cover of Earth Wind & Fire’s “September.” If I’m being honest, I haven’t even heard it. I was afraid my ears would turn against me and try to stab me in the lower jaw.

But, I digress.

The reason I’m writing is that I saw your Instagram post endorsing Democratic candidate Phil Bredesen for U.S. Senate and Jim Cooper for the U.S. House of Representatives.

In your post, you say, “In the past, I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now,” adding:

I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.

I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love.

I must admit that I am now more conflicted about you. Not since I discovered Jennifer Spelowski was the best beatboxer in my middle school have I felt this level of confusion about a white woman.

On one hand, Taylor, I applaud your efforts. One of my recurring themes is that it is not incumbent upon black people to end discrimination because white supremacy is a system created, maintained and perpetuated by whites. As someone who often talks about white people’s unwillingness to speak out about racism, it would be antithetical for me to criticize your newfound wokeness.

You are right that Trump-supporting U.S. Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn is a problem. Most people knew it two years ago when she insisted that institutional racism and police bias did not exist, warning people to “be careful” about how they talked about police bias because the thin blue line is what “separates us from anarchy.”

On the other hand, it is hard for me to ignore that your Instagram activism is convenient and indicative of the privilege that you so blithely enjoy. When you attributed your revelation to “several events in my life and in the world in the past two years,” I could only think about how nice it must be to ignore discrimination, homophobia and racism until it affects you personally.

I know you have to protect your celebrity status, and sometimes that means being apolitical. Even though I don’t think most people look for guidance from pop singers, practicing willful silence is not apolitical. It clears a space for evil to flourish. Speaking up only when you are personally affected is not brave. It is an act of selfishness.

Do you remember all those black women who joined white women at the Women’s March in 2016? Oh wait, you weren’t there. Perhaps you remember celebrities such as Beyoncé, Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro (who, I believe, has placed Trump firmly in the category of people who will catch the hands on sight), each of whom spoke out against Trump and faced the daunting consequences of nothing happening to them at all.

And that is why we are here now.

The fault does not lie solely at the feet of the 53 percent of white women who voted for Trump. It belongs to people who are cool with a pussy-grabbing, dim-witted, racist buffoon until he threatens the peace, safety and prosperity of people who look like them. It belongs to the people who are apathetic about discrimination until it directly affects their lives.

The white women who stampeded through the halls of Congress outraged their senator would give a lifetime appointment to a man who might have abused women, will sit on their hands when police shoot a black child in the face. The well-meaning feminists who rail against the very real culture of sexual misconduct are conspicuously silent about the culture of racism. They don’t care about any of the blood until it gets on their shoes. Black people are always left alone to do the heavy lifting. To be honest, it might be, at least in part, because of our own self-interest, too.

The senators who ignore rape culture also ignore racism. The homophobic lawmakers are also usually willing to pass anti-black laws. The ones who take away women’s rights also take away non-white people rights, health care and equal opportunity. We have to fight it all. But you, like so many other white women, get to decide when to carefully set your dainty little parcels of white privilege on the same shelf that held the mint juleps you mixed while sitting on plantation porches as you benefited from every form of white supremacy in history.

And as always, if and when you are finally able to topple the patriarchy you speak of so often, I’m sure you will raise your banjo-playing strengthened arms, uphold systematic inequality, and stiff-arm that pesky little negro problem and declare, “We did it!”

And for that, I thank you.

Sincerely,

A real nickeler

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Mon Oct-08-18 06:45 PM

21. "well racists live in a world where they are the victims"
In response to Reply # 0

so they will unironically claim shes jumping on some bandwagon/money grab/publicity

Lobby General Discussion topic #13290422 Previous topic | Next topic