Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13287476

Subject: "How did Spotify convince me to buy an album a month?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How did Spotify convince me to buy an album a month?"
Fri Sep-21-18 08:18 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I came up in the era of Napster/Soulseek. Paying for music was a foreign concept. I think I bought 2 or 3 albums in my life.

But here comes Spotify and suddenly I'm okay paying $10 a month for music. Pretty much buying an album a month.

These are some diabolical marketing geniuses.

Same thing with Uber. How did they convince a whole bunch of people who never considered being taxi drivers. Probably would have scoffed at the idea. But now they are driving cabs and happy about it.

Is there anything you never thought you would do/pay for, but the marketing eventually got to you?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Once they started sending those cease and desist letters it was a wrap
Sep 21st 2018
I used to buy 4 albums a month.
Sep 21st 2018
So you bought the Mercedes "Rear End" album?
Sep 21st 2018
      lol
Sep 21st 2018
Profile link
Sep 21st 2018
im on the fence
Sep 21st 2018
Convenience
Sep 21st 2018
Another thing here. I’ve found so many obscure tracks via streams
Sep 21st 2018
smh @ Paying for music was foreign concept. I bought 2 or 3 albums in my...
Sep 21st 2018
That's what was unsustainable. I never enjoyed napster guilt free.
Sep 21st 2018
      i mean, i'm not entirely enjoying Spotify guilt-free
Sep 21st 2018
Access to everything for half the price of a new CD in the late 90's>>>>...
Sep 21st 2018

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Once they started sending those cease and desist letters it was a wrap"
In response to Reply # 0

Legal fees for representation alone would be more than what I pay for Spotify.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I used to buy 4 albums a month. "
In response to Reply # 0

Some of them just based on the album cover.

I’m actually buying 10,000 albums a month. Best deal ever.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:31 AM

8. "So you bought the Mercedes "Rear End" album?"
In response to Reply # 2

>Some of them just based on the album cover.

that was advertised as "coming soon" on No Limit for like 6 years.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:34 AM

10. "lol"
In response to Reply # 8

MEAT
22257 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:45 AM

3. "Profile link "
In response to Reply # 0

https://open.spotify.com/user/dme123456789?si=TLY2kWJZQrKjuRul2-rzag

------

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 09:55 AM

4. "im on the fence"
In response to Reply # 0

i always liked to go and buy albums of artists that i really wanted to support. maybe 5 a year. never liked the idea of paying for subscriptions but im considering it.

first notch was being able to share a playlist without needing to make a long mix, process it and upload it. so i would acquire many albums and listen to them, make a local playlist then recreate the playlist in spotify. i tried listening to it in spotify but the quality was garbage. i guess the paid version improves the quality.

i also wanted to check out an album on spotify but i couldnt figure out how to listen to it in order, only shuffle.

notch 2 a & b, so fast forward a few months and im now looking for a way to play different music for uber riders (more on that later). let me back up a little, i am trying verizons new unlimited (no limit on 4g, just has the potential to be delayed at anytime) so i was like let me test this unlimited out. streaming just wasnt realistic without unlimited data. so i was going to sign up for the 3 months $1 trial i remember seeing for spotify but saw its not currently available. so i decided to give google play a chance since it had a free 3 month trial.

notch 3 really has to do with the fact that you can get basically every album ever. for $10/mo its really not bad. so this year its been hard to stay up on new releases. when a new album comes out that i really want to hear but not ready to pay i have had a hard time finding it by other means. right now im looking back at lists and picking which album i want to check out and bam its there. not to mention the play music player sounds great. i use poweramp with custom eq settings and songs sound the same on play music player, or just about. the main concern i have about play music is the limit to amount of songs in a playlist. in my 2018 playlist i have over 300 songs. in a typical week i like to just put on my playlist of all songs that i really like, over 3,000 and just listen to that all week. from previous use of the free google music i remember it would repeat songs often. if i could listen to albums i downloaded on google play but didnt purchase in poweramp i might be sold. i can find the songs in poweramp but the albums that are cached as part of the streaming service are not playable only albums i downloaded.

on uber, i think conditions just lined up right for me. ive always liked driving for some stupid reason. i got a 3 row suv that i have a pretty good payment on but im upside down on so no real chance of trading it in for something more appropriate for me. so i figured why not make some money with it. its forcing me to interact with people and different personalities so who knows i might even develop people skills. after 3 weeks its looking like i can make decent change for the amount of hours im driving. so its gonna help me pay for my car, my phone bill, my streaming service and possibly some debt.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:11 AM

5. "Convenience"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-21-18 10:12 AM by hardware

downloading music illegally was never really as convenient

thats basically why i got it

that and i started having disposable income.

MEAT
22257 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:14 AM

6. "Another thing here. I’ve found so many obscure tracks via streams"
In response to Reply # 5

People will pay for things that have value.

------

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "smh @ Paying for music was foreign concept. I bought 2 or 3 albums in my..."
In response to Reply # 0

>I came up in the era of Napster/Soulseek. Paying for music
>was a foreign concept. I think I bought 2 or 3 albums in my
>life.
>
>But here comes Spotify and suddenly I'm okay paying $10 a
>month for music. Pretty much buying an album a month.
>
>These are some diabolical marketing geniuses.
>
>Same thing with Uber. How did they convince a whole bunch of
>people who never considered being taxi drivers. Probably would
>have scoffed at the idea. But now they are driving cabs and
>happy about it.
>
>Is there anything you never thought you would do/pay for, but
>the marketing eventually got to you?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49404 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:39 AM

11. "That's what was unsustainable. I never enjoyed napster guilt free."
In response to Reply # 7

$10 a month feels like the right amount to pay to artist for their work.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:54 AM

12. "i mean, i'm not entirely enjoying Spotify guilt-free"
In response to Reply # 11

$0.001 cents per play isn't really fair either

i still buy albums and go to shows, but i know when i'm using Spotify, Spotify is seeing most of that money. Spotify and the label if its not an indie artist.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 10:32 AM

9. "Access to everything for half the price of a new CD in the late 90's>>>>..."
In response to Reply # 0

getting one album with 16 tracks, half of which suck

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lobby General Discussion topic #13287476 Previous topic | Next topic