Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13287313

Subject: "The future of work: Amazon plans to open 3000 cashierless stores by 2021" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The future of work: Amazon plans to open 3000 cashierless stores by 2021"

What is going to happen when something like a third of the jobs in the economy can be automated?
Is this going to be like when the farming sector died off or phone operators went away? Or is it something different?

Should there be some type of intervention if there is mass automation in the economy?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/amazon-is-said-to-plan-up-to-3-000-cashierless-stores-by-2021

Amazon Will Consider Opening Up to 3,000 Cashierless Stores by 2021

Amazon.com Inc. is considering a plan to open as many as 3,000 new AmazonGo cashierless stores in the next few years, according to people familiar with matter, an aggressive and costly expansion that would threaten convenience chains like 7-Eleven Inc., quick-service sandwich shops like Subway and Panera Bread, and mom-and-pop pizzerias and taco trucks.

An Amazon spokeswoman declined to comment. The company unveiled its first cashierless store near its headquarters in Seattle in 2016 and has since announced two additional sites in Seattle and one in Chicago. Two of the new stores offer only a limited selection of salads, sandwiches and snacks, showing that Amazon is experimenting with the concept simply as a meal-on-the-run option. Two other stores, including the original AmazonGo, also have a small selection of groceries, making it more akin to a convenience store.

Shoppers use a smartphone app to enter the store. Once they scan their phones at a turnstile, they can grab what they want from a range of salads, sandwiches, drinks and snacks -- and then walk out without stopping at a cash register. Sensors and computer-vision technology detect what shoppers take and bills them automatically, eliminating checkout lines.

The challenge to Amazon’s plan is the high cost of opening each location. The original AmazonGo in downtown Seattle required more than $1 million in hardware alone, according to a person familiar with the matter. Narrowing the focus to prepared food-to-go would reduce the upfront cost of opening each store, because it would require fewer cameras and sensors. Prepared foods also have wider profit margins than groceries, which would help decrease the time it takes for the stores to become profitable.

News of the company’s potential ambitions for AmazonGo sent shares of grocery and retail rivals lower. Walmart Inc. declined as much as 0.6 percent, reversing an earlier gain, while Target Corp. dropped about 1.5 percent and Kroger Co. slid as much as 3.1 percent.

Amazon has become the world’s largest online retailer by offering a vast selection and quick, convenient delivery. In physical stores, Amazon is emphasizing convenience over selection to win business. Amazon’s other brick-and-mortar initiatives include about 20 bookstores around the U.S. and the natural grocery chain Whole Foods Market, acquired last year. AmazonGo is the most distinctive of all of its physical stores.

At a Washington D.C. event last week, Bezos said Amazon was "very interested" in physical stores, but only if it has something new to offer. "If we offer a me-too product, it’s not going to work," he said.

Such an expansion could put Amazon back into an investment cycle. Bezos is willing to lose money on long-term initiatives when he smells opportunity. Amazon Web Services, the company’s fast-growing and profitable cloud-computing business, was unprofitable for years and Bezos stuck with it, according to a person familiar with the matter. Amazon also routinely loses money expanding internationally.

Adding 3,000 convenience stores would make AmazonGo among the biggest chains in U.S. The internet giant is considering plans to have about 10 locations open by the end of this year, about 50 locations in major metro areas in 2019, and then as many as 3,000 by 2021, said the people, who requested anonymity discussing internal plans. Opening multiple locations in proximity, like it’s doing in Seattle, could also help Amazon reduce costs by centralizing food production in one kitchen serving many stores.

The U.S. currently has 155,000 convenience stores, with 122,500 of them combined with gas stations, according to industry group NACS. Non-fuel purchases at convenience stores totaled $233 billion in 2016, with cigarettes and other tobacco products the best-selling items.

Amazon is targeting dense urban areas with lots of young, busy, affluent residents willing to spend a little more than a typical fast-food experience for better quality food, the people said. The target locations make it less of a threat to suburban gas station-convenience store combinations and more of a threat to big cities’ quick-service eateries, such as Subway Restaurants, Panera Bread Co. and Pret a Manger. U.K.-based Pret has 450 locations worldwide, including New York, Boston and Chicago, focusing on fresh, healthy grab-and-go foods.

AmazonGo will be more of a threat to fast-casual restaurants if it is targeting cities, said Jeff Lenard, vice president of NACS. Shoppers rate location and a lack of lines as the most important factors when shopping for convenience, he said.

"AmazonGo already has no lines," Lenard said. "The key to success will be convenient locations. If it’s a quarter mile from where people are walking and biking, the novelty of the technology won’t matter. It’s too far away."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Who’s gonna stock the shelves and front the merch?
Sep 20th 2018
The bots will do just fine on their own:
Sep 20th 2018
Apparently, robots can think for themselves.
Sep 20th 2018
I assume the cops will already be there
Sep 20th 2018
I live a block away from a cashier-less chain store...in the hood
Sep 20th 2018
This country doubles down on blaming/hating immigrants?
Sep 20th 2018
I have weird mixed feelings about all this
Sep 20th 2018
Thankfully I have never thought like that
Sep 20th 2018
RE: Thankfully I have never thought like that
Sep 20th 2018
LOL
Sep 20th 2018
i mean, they'd switch to robots either way
Sep 20th 2018
He’s a white man btw
Sep 20th 2018
I know.. that post was extremely white.
Sep 20th 2018
And you're a racist scumbag.
Sep 20th 2018
I mean ... I could be worse .. I could be a white man.
Sep 20th 2018
      Don't wear it out.
Sep 20th 2018
And?
Sep 20th 2018
      Inside black joke. You’d get it. Buttttt ....
Sep 20th 2018
           https://media.giphy.com/media/wOXQvz3FwajVm/giphy.gif
Sep 20th 2018
                All y’all white until proven innocent.
Sep 20th 2018
                     k
Sep 20th 2018
I'm not actually looking down on them though.
Sep 20th 2018
      shit, food prep makes a lot more sense then some office work
Sep 20th 2018
           RE: shit, food prep makes a lot more sense then some office work
Sep 20th 2018
           Most office work is a bullshit unnecessary job.. service is not
Sep 20th 2018
I don't want a robot making my sandwiches, though
Sep 20th 2018
They'll definitely be stingy on the meat
Sep 20th 2018
Subway = perfect for this movement
Sep 21st 2018
I think I actually would. From a quality control standpoint
Sep 20th 2018
      Robots won't hook you up with extra sauce or cheese, though
Sep 20th 2018
Automation of tedious tasks is supposed to free up time for leisure
Sep 20th 2018
Less people to complain about the working conditions
Sep 20th 2018
True. Amazon's business practices looking bad out here
Sep 20th 2018
      Isn't most of its workers part-timers?
Sep 20th 2018
           That's what I hear
Sep 21st 2018
           The Walmart technique to avoid paying benefits
Sep 21st 2018
how anyone can't see Bezos is a damn Quintesson is beyond me
Sep 21st 2018

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Who’s gonna stock the shelves and front the merch?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or call the cops on Black people

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The bots will do just fine on their own:"
In response to Reply # 1

https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/scientist-finds-robots-become-racist-and-sexist-on-their-own/

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Apparently, robots can think for themselves."
In response to Reply # 2

LOL

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:38 PM

4. "I assume the cops will already be there"
In response to Reply # 1

They protect property, not people. So sticking them where the property lives seems more efficient.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:31 PM

3. "I live a block away from a cashier-less chain store...in the hood"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-20-18 12:44 PM by ambient1

it's been (socio-economically) fascinating

=======================================
Coolin...

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:48 PM

5. "This country doubles down on blaming/hating immigrants?"
In response to Reply # 0

>What is going to happen when something like a third of the
>jobs in the economy can be automated?

And none of the jobs being lost are going to be unionized and nobody cares about retail workers anyway, largely because of who retail workers are. More of the same, just intensified.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:52 PM

6. "I have weird mixed feelings about all this"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-20-18 12:54 PM by Stringer Bell

Ever look at a person who makes sandwiches at Subway and think, what a waste of a significant portion of this person's life?

So much of the work that humans do in modern life is dehumanizing, it seems beneficial in some way to remove humans from having to do it.

But then, the fact that robots can't do so much of the work humans require is a guarantor of jobs.

Blacksmithing went away, but the key to why this was only disruptive but not fatal to the enterprise of human labor was that there were ample other desires to be filled by the newly unemployed sector (or their descendants anyway).

Think of a typical human's day in 1850. There was a lot of work still yet to do to make it potentially a lot more comfortable, and the grunt nature of technology ensured that achieving it would take all the labor we could throw at it.

But the domain of human desires ISN'T truly infinite. What happens when Bezos can fulfill a significant portion of it without needing human beings?

Assuming sexbots don't take off, maybe in the future we will all just become highly paid sex workers, since sex work will be the only thing people are willing to pay for.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 02:05 PM

7. "Thankfully I have never thought like that"
In response to Reply # 6

We really need to stop looking down at folks in the service industry.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 02:07 PM

8. "RE: Thankfully I have never thought like that"
In response to Reply # 7

But I can admit to thinking this is what screaming $15 an hour will get you

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:02 PM

12. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 8

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:18 PM

14. "i mean, they'd switch to robots either way"
In response to Reply # 8

now they can point fingers at the greedy minimum wagers for forcing their hand.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 02:10 PM

9. "He’s a white man btw"
In response to Reply # 7

------

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 02:14 PM

10. "I know.. that post was extremely white. "
In response to Reply # 9

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:02 PM

11. "And you're a racist scumbag."
In response to Reply # 9

Who should be ip banned from the site.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:31 PM

18. "I mean ... I could be worse .. I could be a white man. "
In response to Reply # 11

------

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:41 PM

20. "Don't wear it out."
In response to Reply # 18

You should keep that in the tuck. You risk over-saturating the brand.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:53 PM

24. "And?"
In response to Reply # 9

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 04:06 PM

27. "Inside black joke. You’d get it. Buttttt ...."
In response to Reply # 24

------

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 04:16 PM

28. "https://media.giphy.com/media/wOXQvz3FwajVm/giphy.gif"
In response to Reply # 27

https://media.giphy.com/media/wOXQvz3FwajVm/giphy.gif

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 04:28 PM

29. "All y’all white until proven innocent. "
In response to Reply # 28

That’s been my position for a while.

------

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 05:04 PM

31. "k"
In response to Reply # 29

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:05 PM

13. "I'm not actually looking down on them though."
In response to Reply # 7

Quite the opposite.

I assume that there would be better uses of their time, in a different economic environment.

I work in an office and I also assume the same about myself, for what it's worth.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:23 PM

15. "shit, food prep makes a lot more sense then some office work"
In response to Reply # 13

I spent a year and a half doing a job that was 90% filling out spreadsheets about what i was doing the other 10%, for the sole purpose of keeping my two bosses in their positions of doing absolutely nothing.

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:30 PM

17. "RE: shit, food prep makes a lot more sense then some office work"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Sep-20-18 03:32 PM by Stringer Bell

>I spent a year and a half doing a job that was 90% filling
>out spreadsheets about what i was doing the other 10%, for the
>sole purpose of keeping my two bosses in their positions of
>doing absolutely nothing.
>
>

LOL. Sounds about right.

There's no reason for anybody but free-market Republican types to assume that the American capitalist economy is somehow magically putting people to work in exactly the positions that maximally tap their strengths and do the most good. T

The reality is people choose the jobs that are available, and many of them (most?) aren't fulfilling or maximizing people's potential.

There may be a subset of people for whom making sandwiches or filling out useless spreadsheets represents the peak of their abilities, but I doubt there are enough people like this to fill all the positions.

*hits control v in excel*

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Most office work is a bullshit unnecessary job.. service is not"
In response to Reply # 15

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/28/642706138/bs-jobs-how-meaningless-work-wears-us-down

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:46 PM

21. "I don't want a robot making my sandwiches, though"
In response to Reply # 6

------

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:52 PM

23. "They'll definitely be stingy on the meat"
In response to Reply # 21

This is what I was thinking of when I decided humans should no longer make sandwiches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnyVE1go2vs

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 12:35 PM

36. "Subway = perfect for this movement"
In response to Reply # 23

Ol standardized sandwich making asses.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:57 PM

25. "I think I actually would. From a quality control standpoint"
In response to Reply # 21

I know things are going to be clean. I know it's going to be made to the proper specifications. The food is going to be exactly as intended.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 04:53 PM

30. "Robots won't hook you up with extra sauce or cheese, though"
In response to Reply # 25

And I don't trust something that can't eat or taste or even understand the concept of food being in charge of food.

------

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 04:05 PM

26. "Automation of tedious tasks is supposed to free up time for leisure"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Sep-20-18 04:12 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Marx and what not.

The contradiction of capitalism. Capital pushes towards increasing productivity (automation) to reduce labor time.
But labor time is the driver of wealth for the labor class.

So while it frees the labor class from doing labor, it also prevents them from gaining wealth

Which leads to the proposition of a universal basic income. But that just makes income inequality even worse

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 03:24 PM

16. "Less people to complain about the working conditions"
In response to Reply # 0

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 06:54 PM

32. "True. Amazon's business practices looking bad out here"
In response to Reply # 16

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 06:56 PM

33. "Isn't most of its workers part-timers? "
In response to Reply # 32

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:43 AM

34. "That's what I hear"
In response to Reply # 33

I've been seeing lots of stories in the news recently about how poorly the workers are treated (Allegedly). There's a new book about being an Amazon worker (*in the UK) called Hired, which sheds light on a lot of things. (Allegedly)

https://youtu.be/UIakiR0B-LQ

Haven't read the book yet but watched a few news stories about the topic.
This one alleges that they use temporary workers in order to avoid granting workers any kind of worker rights: https://youtu.be/gYUJjpIxkCU

Lastly a recent piece from Democracy Now:

https://youtu.be/qCtFWob-ho0

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 11:09 AM

35. "The Walmart technique to avoid paying benefits"
In response to Reply # 33

Keep your employees part-time and under a certain hours worked threshold so that they don't have to give PTO, health benefits, sick days, etc.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 03:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
37. "how anyone can't see Bezos is a damn Quintesson is beyond me"
In response to Reply # 0

jabronis on their knees lickin' his and Elon's boots hoping to touch the hem of their garments

Lobby General Discussion topic #13287313 Previous topic | Next topic