Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13287024

Subject: "talking cars, not bikes lol on a tuesday - buying a whip" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"talking cars, not bikes lol on a tuesday - buying a whip"
Tue Sep-18-18 03:10 PM by tariqhu

looks like the Pathfinder might be done for. Getting that heater core is gonna cost about a grand. about the same value as the car. hoping to sell it.

anywho, who are yall doing for car loans these days?

internet banks like sofi, lendingtree, or lightstream?
traditional banks?
credit unions?
carvana/truecar

and where are you able to find cars? this site, autolist.com, has been the best option for me.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Credit union or USAA...
Sep 18th 2018
does USAA require membership?
Sep 19th 2018
      Yeah...
Sep 19th 2018
           I'm a member of one now.
Sep 19th 2018
ive only done capital one
Sep 18th 2018
it is pretty cool
Sep 19th 2018
I like carguru.com
Sep 18th 2018
forgot about that one.
Sep 19th 2018
Just got rid of my whip, my lady got a much newer ride
Sep 19th 2018
yup, same thing.
Sep 19th 2018
Credit Union and I used Costco and
Sep 19th 2018
this is worth it
Sep 19th 2018
suggestions for an affordable suv?
Sep 19th 2018
I'm looking at grand cherokees.
Sep 19th 2018
Mazda CX-5
Sep 19th 2018
      Took it for a test drive yesterday
Sep 30th 2018
      we got it
Oct 05th 2018
           Congrats!
Oct 05th 2018
this is basically my dream car
Sep 19th 2018
If I'm spending 7 figures on a whip...they gonna have to custom install
Sep 20th 2018
      why are you being practical?
Sep 20th 2018
      Most of these probably won't ever be driven anyway
Sep 20th 2018
we have been pricing SUVs lately,
Sep 20th 2018
highlanders are great. you and her are going to love it.
Sep 20th 2018
Not a SUV/CUV fan, but may end up with one for the misses at some point
Sep 20th 2018
the escape nails "fine"
Sep 30th 2018

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Credit union or USAA..."
In response to Reply # 0

The credit union is a part of a big group of credit unions called CU Auto Branch and they have a little program that lists cars for sale. USAA has a much bigger selection with their car buying service.

It's been bad timing because the little lady has decided to ramp up the house-buying search while I also need to buy a new car.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "does USAA require membership?"
In response to Reply # 1

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Yeah..."
In response to Reply # 4

My father was a career military man, so I've been a member since I was a teenager. Membership is available to the following:

Currently Serving
Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, National Guard and Reserves.

Former Military
Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable.

Family
Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance while married and individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.

Cadets or Midshipmen
Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning

You may wanna shop around for a good, local credit union. My credit union has rates comparable to USAA and they were a good bit lower than what I saw for the big banks.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 10:59 AM

8. "I'm a member of one now."
In response to Reply # 7

its just really inconvenient to get to, so I may switch to a new one.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 03:17 PM

2. "ive only done capital one"
In response to Reply # 0

credit unions hate on me (im sure its nothing to do with my yuuuge student debt)

i like how you can play around with terms in the app on specific cars to see how it will affect your rate and payments. will give you a good idea of how much you need to negotiate down and if its realistic.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 09:05 AM

5. "it is pretty cool"
In response to Reply # 2

to use apps/sites to get an idea of the prices and payments.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 04:15 PM

3. "I like carguru.com"
In response to Reply # 0

they show you how the asking price compares to market value.

meh.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 09:06 AM

6. "forgot about that one."
In response to Reply # 3

thanks.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 11:07 AM

9. "Just got rid of my whip, my lady got a much newer ride"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure who or where she went for financing tho. Was in the same boat as you: Busted water pump and a $1,100+ repair bill on a car worth a bit more than that.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 02:36 PM

12. "yup, same thing."
In response to Reply # 9

I'm just glad the car is still running. I don't have to be in a huge hurry to get the new one.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 11:34 AM

10. "Credit Union and I used Costco and "
In response to Reply # 0

My credit union has its own car finding site that I used. The credit union gave me an extra quarter a point off because I ended up using their site to find and buy my car.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 02:39 PM

13. "this is worth it"
In response to Reply # 10

>My credit union has its own car finding site that I used. The
>credit union gave me an extra quarter a point off because I
>ended up using their site to find and buy my car.

for the extra quarter point off.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 11:47 AM

11. "suggestions for an affordable suv?"
In response to Reply # 0

right now I'm looking at the Honda CR-V. Trying to figure out whether I want to buy used or lease.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 02:40 PM

14. "I'm looking at grand cherokees."
In response to Reply # 11

they're surprisingly cheap for used models.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 03:09 PM

15. "Mazda CX-5"
In response to Reply # 11

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Sun Sep-30-18 05:27 AM

23. "Took it for a test drive yesterday"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun Sep-30-18 05:30 AM by makaveli

Drives really nice, this might be the one. I like the Honda CRV too, trunk space is a need for us but I think the Mazda has enough. Apparently the base model for the CX5 comes with more.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Fri Oct-05-18 12:02 PM

25. "we got it"
In response to Reply # 15

should be picking it up tomorrow, it's nice car we are excited.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Oct-05-18 02:12 PM

26. "Congrats!"
In response to Reply # 25

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 03:38 PM

16. "this is basically my dream car"
In response to Reply # 0

aesthetics wise

https://www.wired.com/story/ferrari-monza-sp1-sp2-inona-cars/

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 08:44 AM

17. "If I'm spending 7 figures on a whip...they gonna have to custom install"
In response to Reply # 16

a wind shield.

It doesn't have to be super tall but tall enough so that I'm not getting slapped by bugs when I go 0-62 in 3 seconds. It's basically a MotorCycleCar given they want you to wear a helmet, scarf, jacket and overalls to drive it. lol

She's sexy though.

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 09:05 AM

18. "why are you being practical?"
In response to Reply # 17

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:39 AM

19. "Most of these probably won't ever be driven anyway"
In response to Reply # 17

There's also a "'Virtual Wind Shield' that helps direct airflow around the passengers for a little bit of driving comfort".

I think this is one of the best cars Ferrari has done in recent memory though. The black one with red seats...hnnnnnhngggggggg

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:17 PM

20. "we have been pricing SUVs lately, "
In response to Reply # 0

my wife will be driving in mostly.
We both like the MDX. I like the highlander. However, we both fell in love with the infinit qx at carmax.

highlander is looking like the best option BUT my wife still hasnt test driven any of them. I have a feeling we may go smaller, like the Rav-4 or CRV route. She thought the MDX was too big.

More than likely financing through USAA.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:25 PM

21. "highlanders are great. you and her are going to love it."
In response to Reply # 20

and i know there is a pretty decent price difference, but you're going to want the v6 in the highlander over the 4 cylinder rav4.

i'ma toyota guy, though, so i'm a bit biased. they're all i've ever driven. got an 06 highlander from my pops in excellent condition. i fucking love it. and the new ones are much roomier than mine, which has a good amount of space. when the minivan finally goes to car heaven (hopefully later not sooner) we'll probably look at a newer highlander to replace it.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 01:30 PM

22. "Not a SUV/CUV fan, but may end up with one for the misses at some point"
In response to Reply # 0

Her Focus is paid for, which is great, but it has 120+k on the odo, and the stupid Powershift transmission has been services thrice under warranty (and the extended warranty Ford had to offer because the setup is pretty trash). We're on borrowed time, even if we got a separate extended warranty.

An Escape would be fine, as it's a lifted Focus with a standard 6 speed transmission (which the Focus should have got the the first place, but...). The Edge would be nice, but it's more than she wants to pay and bigger than she wants to drive (same bones ad my Fusion). She likes her girlfriend's CR-V and my play sister's RAV-4, but not entirely sure she can get the spec she's like at the price she wants to pay, even at CarMax.

Both her cars were financed through the state credit union she's a member of, so the rate wouldn't be too bad. Still, don't want a note, and cars are slowly going away, so there's that...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Sep-30-18 12:24 PM

24. "the escape nails "fine""
In response to Reply # 22

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13287024 Previous topic | Next topic