Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13283702

Subject: "Tamia - leave it smokin'" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 07:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tamia - leave it smokin'"

a-ight I been all pop-radio'd out for a minute - yep.

but....let's not say I don't stay available for R&B.

I usually think "adult" R&B has to seem kinda off (the new En Vogue song I heard on the radio "reach for me" works but almost just barely) but this Tamia song sounds like her best track yet.

Tamia really sounds good. Her voice sounded a little to "steely" and "hard" back in the 2000's. Her voice has more dimensions now.

leave it smokin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsXQOaf0LQo

(yes this song seems to be updating the Vanessa Williams song "the comfort zone" mixed with the chords of "can we talk?" by Tevin Campbell, but whatever)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was kinda mad at her just jacking Hihache
Sep 03rd 2018
it's not bad, its def. mee-maw music though
Sep 04th 2018
I definitely feel in line with it, and that En Vogue new song
Sep 04th 2018
define "your generation"
Sep 04th 2018
      Question: what do you think E.Badu, Questlove and someone
Sep 04th 2018
           so you're 47?
Sep 04th 2018
                There's not that much, actually. And very little of it is high quality.
Sep 04th 2018
                     I disagree
Sep 04th 2018
                          Mots of that stuff isn't that good, for the reasons I just mentioned.
Sep 04th 2018
Kids today don't like R&B that's good for two-stepping or that has
Sep 04th 2018
      what do you mean by traditional swing music?
Sep 04th 2018
           Probably the best way to describe it is when the groove is a bit
Sep 04th 2018
I am f'd up because I was caught off guard expecting to see the So In to...
Sep 04th 2018
Tamia done turned Auntie...damn..
Sep 04th 2018
y'all seriously think she's not hot anymore?????
Sep 04th 2018
Aunties can be hot. Just a different type of hot. Women turn Auntie, men
Sep 04th 2018
not sure how true it is
Sep 04th 2018
This shit goes. It’s it auntie music either
Sep 04th 2018
No, it is Auntie music. This sound was our normal, but someone under
Sep 04th 2018
lol...i wasn't talking about the music...i was talking about Tamia
Sep 04th 2018
Auntie = the hair weave. This sounds like a track she should have made
Sep 05th 2018
I've got no comments about Tamia, as an artist...
Sep 05th 2018
The overall OKP response is mostly disgusting
Sep 05th 2018
(...continuing) Ok, now that that's out the way...
Sep 05th 2018
Runs to youtube
Sep 05th 2018
them legs are fire!
Sep 05th 2018
^^^Cape so long muthafckas can't find him^^^
Sep 05th 2018
WHOA. pump ya brakes. Fuck Bruno too, Yo.
Sep 05th 2018
Thanks for sharing, btw.
Sep 05th 2018
you're welcome
Sep 05th 2018
RE: Tamia - leave it smokin'
Oct 02nd 2018
I haven't listened to her album
Oct 02nd 2018
People still do that????? Where did you even find a CD ROM drive??
Oct 03rd 2018
On another somewhat related note...
Oct 02nd 2018
not bad at all. She lookin grown woman sexy too
Oct 03rd 2018

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 08:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I was kinda mad at her just jacking Hihache"
In response to Reply # 0

The track slaps. I didn't expect it from her.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 06:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "it's not bad, its def. mee-maw music though"
In response to Reply # 0

Auntie music, if you will.

This is proven by the number of line dance videos for it on youtube.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

c71
13962 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 08:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I definitely feel in line with it, and that En Vogue new song"
In response to Reply # 2

"Reach for me"

Wasn't sure my generation still had anything for R&B

That Keith Sweat and K-Ci "how many ways" is pretty good too.

shygurl
13361 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 09:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "define "your generation""
In response to Reply # 3

I don't know your age, but this music is for the black 40s and uppers, and there is a lot of music, and new music at that, out there for that age range.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

c71
13962 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 09:30 AM

5. "Question: what do you think E.Badu, Questlove and someone"
In response to Reply # 4

whose screen name is c71 have in common?

shygurl
13361 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 10:07 AM

9. "so you're 47?"
In response to Reply # 5

If so, like I said, there is plenty of music out there for your age group. Music in this vein, the kind of contemporary adult r&b crowd.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 10:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "There's not that much, actually. And very little of it is high quality."
In response to Reply # 9

This song from Tamia is one of the better songs of this type in the last 5 years that wasn't written by Bruno Mars and the Smeezingtons. But it's no surprise that it's good. The underlying drums are a classic groove they interpolated (the drums from Set Adrift by PM Dawn.) When the groove is good, other things tend to fall in place too, like good melody, good chord changes, mood, etc.

Alot of the new stuff aimed at the grown and sexy crowd nowadays is largely uninspired, resorts to directionless screaming (that K-Ci/Keith Sweat is like this and it's horrible) or tries too hard to incorporate the Hip-Hop feel (alot of Charlie Wilson's current output is like this)

shygurl
13361 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:15 AM

13. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Sep-04-18 11:19 AM by shygurl

Johnny Gill, Leela James, Ari Lennox, Jaheim, Ro James, fuck even Jodeci have all released albums in the past couple of years that in my mind fit the contemporary r&b mold. And these are artists off of the top of my head without doing a lot of research, I *know* there are tons more out there. Are we in the full 80s/90s heyday of r&b? Naw, but there are still options for people who want to listen to a certain style of music.

(Now in full disclosure I haven't listened to any of the artists I listed (this type of music is not my current taste), but I don't doubt that they produce a certain kind of music)

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Mots of that stuff isn't that good, for the reasons I just mentioned."
In response to Reply # 13

And there used to be too much high quality R&B to keep track of. Now, the vast majority of the energy for popular and mainstream music goes into Hip-Hop. That's where the quantity is, not R&B. I stand by my statement that there's just not that much R&B being released today at all. I didn't say none.

Something else I forgot to mention is that because most regular kids today have zero interest in R&B, what little interest there is is usually shown by 'Playery types only. So now R&B, among people under 35, has become associated with 'Playeryness and being left of center. It's been relegated to a corner of the population, which has proved bad for the music. And I say this as someone who was dedicated to the Neo-Soul movement 20 years ago. Being left of center is best when there's a related mainstream to play off of, imo.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 09:44 AM

7. "Kids today don't like R&B that's good for two-stepping or that has "
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Sep-04-18 09:47 AM by Teknontheou

a traditional "swing" (not just talking about jazz swing) or groove to it.

All popular Black-American (except Hip-Hop) music from basically the early 1930s to about 15 years ago had that as it's foundation. It's what distinguished our music from everything else and a big part of what we all loved about it.

But now that has been relegated to the 40 y.o.+ crowd. Sad.

shygurl
13361 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 10:05 AM

8. "what do you mean by traditional swing music?"
In response to Reply # 7

To me a lot of stepping music is just mid-tempo'd and its kinda smoothed jazzed out in a I'm-not-going-to-dance/dance-but-I-will-do-a-little-bop-motion. Doesn't mean it's bad, just a certain sound to it.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 10:31 AM

10. "Probably the best way to describe it is when the groove is a bit "
In response to Reply # 8

behind the beat.

I like to envision it as fitting with the classic "Mary J. Blige" dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9wybq0T1g

And it's not just mid-tempo or jazzy stuff. Any big hit from popular Black music you can think of from the last 60 years that wasn't a slow ballad had this quality. New Jack Swing, Babyface, everything from the 70s, etc. I like to call it the "Pregnant Two/Four" because when you snap your fingers to it, there's a tendency to wait as long as possible before you snap on two and four - you're behind the beat a bit. Contrast this with most Rock, for example. It wouldn't be "wrong" to snap that way in Rock, per se, but Rock music, excluding the stuff that openly tried to sound bluesy, was much straighter. Modern Black popular music is very straight, in this way.

This is the element Bruno Mars tapped into and why all the 24K Magic songs have been so big - he put swing and groove (basically leaning behind the beat) back into the songs and pulled the music away from the heavy, straight, thump-a-dump Trap/Hip-Hop feel. Of course, he also copied alot of artists stylistically, but that's not the point.

Kids today don't have as much exposure to music being rhythmically loose and swingy like that, so that quality is only appreciated by old heads today.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 09:33 AM

6. "I am f'd up because I was caught off guard expecting to see the So In to..."
In response to Reply # 0

You tamia. Then I realized that Tamia was from 20 years ago.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 10:48 AM

12. "Tamia done turned Auntie...damn.."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:15 AM

14. "y'all seriously think she's not hot anymore?????"
In response to Reply # 12

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:28 AM

16. "Aunties can be hot. Just a different type of hot. Women turn Auntie, men"
In response to Reply # 14

turn Dad.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 08:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "not sure how true it is"
In response to Reply # 12

but someone in the comments says her face is round from meds taken for MS.

not that you savages care lol.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79609 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:19 AM

15. "This shit goes. It’s it auntie music either"
In response to Reply # 0

Just a good ass cut that doesn’t have cursing, rapping or a trap beat.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:38 AM

18. "No, it is Auntie music. This sound was our normal, but someone under"
In response to Reply # 15

25 hears this is from a past era and kind of foreign.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:54 AM

19. "lol...i wasn't talking about the music...i was talking about Tamia"
In response to Reply # 15

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 01:00 AM

21. "Auntie = the hair weave. This sounds like a track she should have made"
In response to Reply # 0

like 20 years ago.

------------------
One Hundred.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 04:00 AM

22. "I've got no comments about Tamia, as an artist..."
In response to Reply # 0

if she can keep making music and loves it...she should...for as long as she can/wants to. The song is wack to me, though. The chorus is laughably bad. Sounds like a joint you would have heard on BET in the late 90's or something.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 06:32 AM

23. "The overall OKP response is mostly disgusting"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-05-18 06:41 AM by Boogie Stimuli

*dawns full cape*

Bruno Mars could make this *exact* song, and be praised for the "nostalgic" feeling and ability to capture it without any mentions of "auntie", "uncle" or it being so-called "40+ music."
But somebody who was actually making music 20 years ago and has blessed us by sharing their talent with us for 20+ years just gets trashed for making music for her fan base... incredible. It's like she can't win. If she "updates" her sound, she'll be accused of trying to be like young folks (a la Musiq Soulchild) and if she doesn't, we get this ... which I like btw. If she jacks the melody to 5 different songs from the 90s like ya boy Mars, then she'll be accused of being stuck in the past. The problem here isn't Tamia or the song.

I don't know if I've ever seen a group of older people more insecure about what younger people think of them than OKP. Maybe some of yall are hitting a midlife crisis and maybe it's just this generation in general. Younger folks used to want to impress the older folks who came before them. Remember when Boyz II Men came out? Hell, when Tamia came out. It was an honor for someone like Aretha Franklin or Smokey Robinson to say "I like this kid." Now it seems like it's the opposite for too many older people... not just entertainers, but regular older people. And I won't even get into how it's by design that the wisest among us NOT determine our direction.

To be continued...

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 06:37 AM

24. "(...continuing) Ok, now that that's out the way..."
In response to Reply # 23

As I said, I like the song. It's hard to go wrong with these drums, and the song on top of them is nice imo. Dance-able, catchy... it works. Not much is needed instrumentally beyond the synths in the vein of a Soul II Soul joint.
As for the video:
Tamia has some amazing legs... like Tina Turner-esque. Are those things insured? Jesus.
I'm not a huge fan of sexy posturing at the camera, but it's so minimal here that it doesn't irk me like Mariah Carey or Toni Braxton might go overboard with it. I like everything else about the video. The feel, the lighting, the couples dancing... beautiful.

~
~
~
~
~

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79609 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 06:50 AM

25. "Runs to youtube"
In response to Reply # 24

as far as these folk trying to stay young... lmao.

Shit is sad. This joint goes.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 08:28 AM

29. "them legs are fire!"
In response to Reply # 24

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 07:31 AM

26. "^^^Cape so long muthafckas can't find him^^^"

chilllll fam.
Tamia is pretty much the same age as I am.
This is how us old heads cope.
We see someone we used to droll after, and then reality hits us when we see they aged just like we did.
If I was a single man...i'd be allllll up on some aunties...so it's not really a dis anyway.

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 08:34 AM

30. "WHOA. pump ya brakes. Fuck Bruno too, Yo. "

------------------
One Hundred.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 07:48 AM

27. "Thanks for sharing, btw."
In response to Reply # 0

I've been slacking on new music discovery lately.

~
~
~
~
~

c71
13962 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 08:15 AM

28. "you're welcome"
In response to Reply # 27

yes

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Oct-02-18 01:34 PM

31. "RE: Tamia - leave it smokin'"
In response to Reply # 0

I scanned past this thread because it was about the lead single, "Leave It Smokin," and not the album from which that song appears, Passion Like Fire.

How does this album stack up against her previous releases? I bought it from Tarjay and ripped it into my iTunes a couple weeks ago but I still haven't given it a good listen.

Her last project has some really good material. I'm still pissed she didn't get a Grammy nod for "Stuck With Me" just like I'm still livid The Foreign Exchange lost the Grammy Award for "The Daykeeper" over a damn India Arie song

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

c71
13962 posts
Tue Oct-02-18 01:49 PM

32. "I haven't listened to her album"
In response to Reply # 31

yep

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Oct-03-18 08:30 AM

34. "People still do that????? Where did you even find a CD ROM drive??"
In response to Reply # 31

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Tue Oct-02-18 02:19 PM

33. "On another somewhat related note..."
In response to Reply # 0

That new Shawn Stockman cut is pretty lame. He sounds okay but the song does nothing for me at all. Was actually curious about the first solo projcet from any one of the Boyz so I'm hoping this isn't a good indicator of what to expect.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Wed Oct-03-18 10:38 AM

35. "not bad at all. She lookin grown woman sexy too"
In response to Reply # 0

but hey...im also 47 lol.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13283702 Previous topic | Next topic