Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13279228

Subject: "OKHustlers: The Counter Offer" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKHustlers: The Counter Offer"

Tell me your stories.

I got the offer but they flipped the script on me. The claim they restructured and now they want to give me a Graphic Design title instead of the Senior Graphic Designer title and the offer was only 2K more than what I make now.

They said there is room to grow into the Senior position.

My issue is this isn’t what I applied for and I feel like why are trying to save money while having me do the same amount of work as a Senior Designer.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
say no... they just killed what was selling you on it imo
Aug 10th 2018
Yeah. I’m going to say no
Aug 10th 2018
      I would just tell them straight up... not the position you applied for
Aug 10th 2018
           I did
Aug 13th 2018
Well now you know to stay where you at.
Aug 10th 2018
Yup.
Aug 10th 2018
nah
Aug 10th 2018
word, i never accept an offer without countering first
Aug 10th 2018
Just tell them what you want
Aug 10th 2018
wait, ask some questions before you drop the smoke bomb
Aug 10th 2018
This is dope. Thanks
Aug 10th 2018
a $2k increase ain't worth changing jobs for unless you HATE where
Aug 10th 2018
Definitely
Aug 10th 2018
      honestly, this is why I fuck with recruiters.
Aug 10th 2018
Hard pass....they trying to okie doke you fam.
Aug 10th 2018
i wouldnt even bother fam
Aug 10th 2018
i think you have gotten good advice above
Aug 10th 2018
Damn, that’s a good story
Aug 10th 2018
      i feel like you really want to go to the new company
Aug 10th 2018
Don't fool with anyone trying to play you before you get there
Aug 10th 2018
True
Aug 10th 2018
Nah, you already got a job...
Aug 10th 2018
Told them thanks but no thanks.
Aug 13th 2018
did they offer more information?
Aug 13th 2018
      Nope.
Aug 13th 2018
I'm fittin to ask for a $13,000 come up on Wednesday
Aug 13th 2018
Nice!!! Good luck fam
Aug 13th 2018
      Ima need that.Thanks legs!!
Aug 13th 2018

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "say no... they just killed what was selling you on it imo"
In response to Reply # 0

not enough money to be the guy who starts a job and then books out for a new one imo... say no let them move on or come back at you with something better.

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 11:46 AM

2. "Yeah. I’m going to say no"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Aug-10-18 11:48 AM by legsdiamond

just wondered if there was a way to finess it and counter offer.

Feels good to be wanted but not like this.

Oh well.

For the record I did tell her the change in title was a negative for me.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:35 PM

7. "I would just tell them straight up... not the position you applied for"
In response to Reply # 2

and not competitive enough of an offer... Wish them luck

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 03:11 PM

28. "I did "
In response to Reply # 7

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 11:57 AM

3. "Well now you know to stay where you at. "
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:07 PM

4. "Yup. "
In response to Reply # 3

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:23 PM

5. "nah"
In response to Reply # 0

you already know tho.

glad you waited em out. companies are always on some fuck shit.

you had to counter tho, can't remember the last time I took a job without countering. Oh yeah, when I was laid off for 8 months and found something. I didn't wanna fuck it up by countering, but my new wife was like nigga no, counter. Glad i listened to her LOL.

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:49 PM

15. "word, i never accept an offer without countering first"
In response to Reply # 5

i've turned down 2 job offers in the past year bc them hoes wouldnt accept my counter...and I don't regret it.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:31 PM

6. "Just tell them what you want"
In response to Reply # 0

They're trying to get slick. Tell them that in your current position it doesn't make sense for you to leave at that offer.

You don't really have to 'play the game', just tell them you like their company, it seems like a cool gig, you'd love to be part of the team, etc. - but you need x amount of money and a Sr. title to make it worth your while. Otherwise let them look elsewhere.

If it doesn't work out then no skin off your hide.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:37 PM

8. "wait, ask some questions before you drop the smoke bomb"
In response to Reply # 0

-"Can I ask you a question, I would like to be transparent, I've been designing for X years and I'm looking to find a place where I am valued for my experience. At the same time, my first priority is being the best possible designer, because of this I value brutal honesty. You state the reason for the change in title and compensation is due to restructuring, however I have to ask if you may have viewed some deficiencies in skills on my behalf. Where there any areas in my professional skills or portfolio that might have altered your perception of my value to your company? I would very much like to continue our dialog, perhaps we could locate a happy medium.

My counter offer is....."

something of the like.

If you're only kinda in then be honest about your placement

Also, consider the big picture - if its less money are the benefits better? Will this job lower your opportunity cost to find and pursue other things or give space for my family or self time? do they have a very solid plan where you would be able to work up to the salary and title you desire or do you suspect smoke, mirrors and no real way to move up?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:38 PM

13. "This is dope. Thanks"
In response to Reply # 8

My skills are top notch. I’ve never worked for a large retailer before so that may be part of the reason they are lowballing.

Dude said off the record I was above their pay range but then later in the process when I said it was a concern he said he was mistaken and pay wasn’t an issue.

Obviously there is an issue somewhere.

I definitely want feedback on why they pulled the switcheroo.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:45 PM

9. "a $2k increase ain't worth changing jobs for unless you HATE where"
In response to Reply # 0

you at now

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:15 PM

10. "Definitely"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm a designer as well, currently a production manager, and I was in a similar position years ago. Even though I was happy where I was at the time, I stumbled onto a posting that had a more significant title, at a well known publication. I clearly stated what type of compensation I was looking for in my cover letter, and how given my years of experience i was more than qualified for the title.

They phone screened me, brought me in for an interview, and showed me some current projects they were working on and asked my input. I was sure I had the position locked up, then they came at me with the lowball offer, it was pretty much only a few bucks more than I was making at the time.

They tried to sell me with the title and potential for advancement. I told them that I had a current position, that I was happy with, and the only reason I entertained leaving was the possibility of the title AND a significant pay increase. It wasn't worth the upheaval and effort leaving my then current situation, for the compensation they were offering.

I stepped.

I actually saw the job still listed in the trades for at least a month or two after. I wonder if they found a sucker, or upped the pay?

double negative
22151 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:16 PM

11. "honestly, this is why I fuck with recruiters. "
In response to Reply # 10

they will go to bat for you and make it rain

maybe

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44611 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:35 PM

12. "Hard pass....they trying to okie doke you fam. "
In response to Reply # 0

>Tell me your stories.
>
>I got the offer but they flipped the script on me. The claim
>they restructured and now they want to give me a Graphic
>Design title instead of the Senior Graphic Designer title and
>the offer was only 2K more than what I make now.
>
>They said there is room to grow into the Senior position.
>
>My issue is this isn’t what I applied for and I feel like
>why are trying to save money while having me do the same
>amount of work as a Senior Designer.
>
>
>
>

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 01:47 PM

14. "i wouldnt even bother fam"
In response to Reply # 0

I've counter-offered salary and vacation time. I could share my experience, but I've never counter-offered a position.

Even if you countered the salary to get the 12K (or close to it), its the position that matters. You mess around and be maxed out of your position and then have to fight another battle to get that senior position.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 02:46 PM

16. "i think you have gotten good advice above"
In response to Reply # 0

heres my story

i was working at my last job for about 4 years when another company asked me if i was interested. i interviewed and did a "test" for them, they asked me what i was looking to get paid and i gave an aggressive number. they countered but it was either a very small increase or maybe even less than i was making so it didnt happen.

5 years later, last year, the same company approached me again. i was still working the same job but more hats now; basically middle management while only giving up day to day duties of the only part of the job that had to do with graphics. money had gotten decent. i told the company upfront that i would be looking for much more than the first time. i was probably making around 15k more than when they first interviewed me. they told me that it wouldnt be a problem.

so the new company was offering a position where my only focus was graphics. no IT, no project management, no press operator, no management. i would be a one man show basically. the work would be slow but they felt they needed someone with my experience to help build the print department. they also were offering less travel, one or two times a year. traveling had became a strain at my current job.

so after interviewing with them they offered me about 5k more. combined with less responsibility i felt this was a good offer. i decided to give notice to my current company and the owner, which i worked with day to day with, told me he needed me to stay. i had already decided to leave but i did feel that i needed to at least hear him out. after his spiel i told him okay i might stay if i get 10k more than im making (5k more than what the company was offering me) and im only left with project management and the graphics department. he seemed hesitant but said he would get back to me. i later texted him that i had given it more thought and that 15k would be the number for sure.

a day or two later (a friday) we meet and he was only offering me 10k and all responsibilities would remain. the other company had already told me that 5k was all they could do so i almost signed. he told me, why dont you think about it and get back to me on monday. over the weekend i decided i would stay. monday morning i woke up and thought, let me give the new company a chance.

i told them i really wanted to work with them but that my company made a counter i couldnt turn down. they got back to me and asked me how much and to give them my word that i would accept if they matched. i gave it some thought and figured yep this is the move. i sent them proof of the offer, they later sent me their offer matching and i let the owner know i wouldnt be accepting the offer to stay. if they had given me the 15k i would have signed on the spot. now i just kick myself because maybe if i had said 15k from the get go instead of 10k i would had gotten this company to match lol

so in order for the company to match they actually came up with a super long title to give me so they could justify putting me on that pay scale. so kind of reversed of your situation.

sorry for the long read.

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 03:58 PM

18. "Damn, that’s a good story"
In response to Reply # 16

I’m not sure how I will approach it. They still think I’m at my old gig.

I think I need to let them know there are other stronger offers out there but they may think I’m bullshitting.

I feel like Richard Pryor in Which Way Is Up. “I got another gig across town, and it treats me very well!!!”

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 04:24 PM

20. "i feel like you really want to go to the new company"
In response to Reply # 18

you might need to tell your current company that youve been given an offer at a gig that suits you better. do it with the intention of leaving and prepared to do so for the new gig. if the current company doesnt want to lose you they make try to keep you and give you an offer.

ideally its a situation of, what would it take to keep you and not we will match their offer. that way you can give them a number that you can use to get the new company to match.

at this point if i were you i would look at each company side by side as if you didnt work at either. all things considered which is better for you? if its the new one then go with them. before accepting their offer, give your notice to your current company. if they say goodbye then accept the other offer quickly lol. if they want to negotiate then ask them for a number that would be enough to keep you. ideally this is more than what you would be willing to go to the new company for.

as an example
new company is offering 2k
current company asks you what it would take to keep you, you tell them i need 10k more to stay
they either agree and you stay or they counter with something in between, say 7k
ask them to give you a sheet breaking down the offer
tell the new company you were really looking forward to working with them but you got an offer that you cant refuse but would do so if they match (you have a sheet to prove the offer now)
if they dont match, you just got 7k more to stay, if they do then celebrate

the key here would be to know what number you would accept to leave for and ask for more than that from your current company so that at worst they counter with at least the 2k the new company is offering you.

i would say dont go to the new company counting on them improving the pay with time. what you accept now is where it will stay until a major move justifies more.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Don't fool with anyone trying to play you before you get there"
In response to Reply # 0

They have shown the type of organization they are. There's nothing else to say.

They maybe selling pipe dreams on the potential of moving up too. I'd question everything.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 04:00 PM

19. "True"
In response to Reply # 17

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13561 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 10:38 PM

21. "Nah, you already got a job..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-10-18 10:39 PM by flipnile

They can come up with a better offer if they want you.

That changing shit up would irk me enough to stay put and keep looking and working on side projects.

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 09:02 AM

22. "Told them thanks but no thanks. "
In response to Reply # 0

This wasn’t the position I applied so I decided to take a position that offers more opportunities for advancement.

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 09:19 AM

23. "did they offer more information?"
In response to Reply # 22

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 01:25 PM

25. "Nope. "
In response to Reply # 23

I didn’t press for an explanation either.

Kept it short and sweet.

The more I thought about the more pissed off I got so fuck em.

Still crazy to turn down a gig making more than I have ever made but I’m sticking to the plan.

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 11:50 AM

24. "I'm fittin to ask for a $13,000 come up on Wednesday"
In response to Reply # 0

Interviewing with a new company this week. Got to have it. Just got to. Specially since I'm in grad school now. My program will be done with 6 more classes so I feel that the increase falls right in line.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

legsdiamond
79493 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 01:25 PM

26. "Nice!!! Good luck fam"
In response to Reply # 24

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Mon Aug-13-18 03:00 PM

27. "Ima need that.Thanks legs!! "
In response to Reply # 26

Keep me in prayer as the Godfearing folk say. LOL

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Lobby General Discussion topic #13279228 Previous topic | Next topic