Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13278190

Subject: "Talk about how Facebook wants your bank data now" Previous topic | Next topic
jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talk about how Facebook wants your bank data now"
Mon Aug-06-18 12:37 PM by jdub1313

It's out there on the socials.

WSJ just posted an article (paywall) about Facebook telling the banks "you give us your data, we'll give you our users". Looks like Facebook wants to sell its users more options or some other shit. Say they will not sell our data to 3rd parties.

Somebody tweeted not being able to login to FB because of insufficient funds LOL

Black mirror turning into real life everyday man.

credit worthiness, card transactions, approvals/denials. all so they can target more ads??

At this point you gotta delete your account. not deactivate.

As hard as its going to be for a lot of yall, delete instagram too.

So privacy isn't expected anymore, that's where we are?

Discuss.

*edit* link from Bloomberg that references the WSJ article. Had no idea you can already pay for stuff through Messenger.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-06/facebook-shares-rise-on-optimism-for-banking-relationships

A Wall Street Journal report earlier Monday said the talks with banks are ongoing, sending shares up as much as 4 percent. The company has started to feel more urgency to make money from its properties beyond the Facebook social network since saying last month that sales growth will slow and expenses will climb in the next few years -- a forecast that sent the shares tumbling 19 percent in one day. It’s also facing questions about its ability to safeguard data following a series of scandals, including a third-party app that mishandled private user information. Some users may be wary of sharing especially sensitive financial details.

Still, Facebook has been building up user comfort with sharing financial information through its site for years. It already allows money transfer between friends and e-commerce transactions with businesses through Messenger. It also lets people buy and sell items through Marketplace, its version of Craigslist. And users in the news feed have become more comfortable using their credit cards there because of a product that enables people to ask their friends to donate to charitable causes.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The FinTech investment money is strong n/m
Aug 06th 2018
Me in 2016
Aug 06th 2018
Man that info is already bought and sold by everyone else
Aug 06th 2018
you're right
Aug 06th 2018
There's a little more in this phase... Investors are hedging bets
Aug 06th 2018
This is simply untrue
Aug 06th 2018
Ehhh... Not really
Aug 06th 2018
Yeah? And they have real time life updates with pictures of my family
Aug 06th 2018
      I think you over-estimate the value of likes and pictures of your kids a...
Aug 06th 2018
           Who has as extensive of a profile on you as Facebook
Aug 06th 2018
                I think google has more info on me thru my emails, online purchases
Aug 06th 2018
                Who does Google allow to have access to that data?
Aug 06th 2018
                     Hopefully no one
Aug 07th 2018
                     And I think here’s why I, you, and a lot of us diverge
Aug 07th 2018
                     so, google and facebook don't nec. share that data
Aug 07th 2018
                          Close but still eh, until very recently allowed your data to harvested
Aug 07th 2018
                               What everyone keeps forgetting
Aug 07th 2018
                               Bullshit. CA scraped over 83 mil profiles from < 280k opt ins
Aug 07th 2018
                                    So 280k people opted in o_O
Aug 07th 2018
                                         How would someone have YOUR DNA from a second cousin?
Aug 07th 2018
                                              Cause that's how DNA works
Aug 07th 2018
                                                   You could’ve just typed you don’t understand the data breach
Aug 07th 2018
                                                        You coulda just typed you don't understand what a Breach is
Aug 07th 2018
                               you should've read what I said.
Aug 07th 2018
                                    I got what you said but the business interests of businesses isn’t my
Aug 07th 2018
                Experian has more relevant data on you and they will sell it to anyone
Aug 06th 2018
                     Source on them sharing their data set?
Aug 06th 2018
                          I could buy all the info on you based on your IP Addy right now
Aug 06th 2018
                          Cool Morpheus.
Aug 06th 2018
                          Source of them sharing? Bruh I just gave you the link of them selling it...
Aug 07th 2018
                               You linked to selling profiles. I’m talking data sets.
Aug 07th 2018
(the info brokers who have your cc info are easily linked to your fb pro...
Aug 06th 2018
      My credit card is through my credit union
Aug 07th 2018
           if you haven't opted out, pretty sure bet yes.
Aug 07th 2018
Absolutely
Aug 07th 2018
delete your account. not deactivate -> not according to Zuck
Aug 06th 2018
this is not true
Aug 07th 2018
      Show us the way
Aug 07th 2018
Zuckernerd tryna get that overdraft protection on the low.
Aug 06th 2018
^^^^^^
Aug 06th 2018
they should just become a bank...
Aug 06th 2018
Banks are subject to regulatory oversight.
Aug 06th 2018

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The FinTech investment money is strong n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 12:57 PM

2. "Me in 2016"
In response to Reply # 0

So I’ll bring a conversation that I’ve been having offline to my digital world. In the past few weeks, months, year; I’ve been actively leaving less of a digital footprint. It started off with a conversation we were having in the house in which (wife's name) noted how she’d often speak about something aloud and then her Facebook or Google ads would reflect that conversation without having the data input. I forget the resolution from the conversation, it may have been to delete the app, but there was just something uncomfortable about it. In retrospect, I’m not even sure that our assumptions were validated, but the feeling of “what if” was there and that feeling of discomfort hasn’t gone away.
And over the months and years I’ve come to acknowledge that:
1. We all put out an enormous amount of publically available data. Whether it’s where we are, who we’re with, at what time, things we like, and who we communicate with; huge swaths of that are publically available.
2. We all put out an enormous amount of non-publically available data. Whether that’s CVS / Safeway / Kroger reward programs tracking our every purchase or advertisements watched / clicked; technology has only gotten better at developing targeted advertising profiles.
3. “Big data” in of itself isn’t evil. That the mechanisms that say that one person could be susceptible to buying more of Product A through mailers isn’t that big of a deal.
4. “Big data” used for means outside of sales has typically huge impacts on our lives.
5. “Big data” from our offline activities (the non-publically available) is being sold to interests with access to our digital footprints, even those with access to our non-public digital footprints (i.e. screen time, log in locations, site hours, messages).
6. The risks posed by this level of insight and access traditionally, historically, and currently lead to discriminatory practices; whether that’s making determinations of credit lending, setting interest rates, job offers, loan offerings, or housing decisions.
7. The risks are only curtailed and controlled by the government mechanisms and laws in place which additionally require willing enforcements.
8. The mechanisms that will be controlling government and tasked with enforcing laws will be
a. Advocates for industry over regulation
b. Advocates for selective enforcement of laws in a way that’s benefited them over society
c. Lacking the knowledge or experience necessary to serve the people.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:07 PM

3. "Man that info is already bought and sold by everyone else"
In response to Reply # 0

Facebook is the boogeyman but everyone else is using experian and other third party data to sell you shit.

Your cable provider knows when the lease of your car is up and are able to serve you up more car ads.

Notice when you had that kid all these baby circulars started showing up in your mail?

They know us all.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:13 PM

4. " you're right"
In response to Reply # 3

FB is the boogey man, but all that shit is being bought and sold and hacked everyday already.

that is depressing, but we wanted convenience and we wanted seamless and instantaneous. Felt like that was the natural progression. Now look at us.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:24 PM

6. "There's a little more in this phase... Investors are hedging bets"
In response to Reply # 3

Crypto vs trad fintech

FB cannot risk crypto (yet) and with their numbers being put under a microscope they need a next Gen revenue stream. Partnership with banks while having the immediate affects you mentioned is a long play on a future FinTech integration with FB that they can profit off.

Incidentally there are already credit card and bank companies with customer service integrations but believe they want to be more entrenched than that.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:32 PM

7. "This is simply untrue"
In response to Reply # 3

No site has the number of tentacles that Facebook does for targeting (short of google)
Which is why they’re valued so highly
Additionally
No other entity allows for third party access to YOUR information the way Facebook does (see the entire Cambridge Analytica saga)

Which is what makes Facebook uniquely dangerous

Other sites may have beads on you and know enough to sell a limited profile of you based on that. Your cable company can tell your viewing habits and general demographic to sell to adversiters
Your Safeway card may sell a general map of you to Proctor and Gamble
Your car dealer may sell a taste of you to amazon

But Facebook sells YOU.
Makes a microtargetted profile of YOU
from an extensive network of datasets that are constantly changing
And then sells targeted ads, which is trash
But also opens up its API so that any app developer previously had access to that data

NOBODY
does that.
The shitty credit companies don’t just open their data to I DEVELOP APPS.ME
Because that would be insane. Facebook though.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:36 PM

8. "Ehhh... Not really "
In response to Reply # 7

Fb is only unique in their sloppiness. There are a lot of companies you never heard of who know more doing much worse.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:48 PM

9. "Yeah? And they have real time life updates with pictures of my family"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Aug-06-18 01:49 PM by MEAT

And friends?
And then also allow access to unaccountable third parties for their data sets?

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:32 PM

14. "I think you over-estimate the value of likes and pictures of your kids a..."
In response to Reply # 9

Underestimate what CVS and Farm Fresh knows about your buying habits.

I think Cambridge Analytics impact on the election is probably overrated at this point. I remember tracking down one of their tests after their name popped up and was thoroughly unimpressed. They had people taking personality test like this one.

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-personality-test-cambridge-analytica-data-trump-election-2018-3

Or other basic stuff like coming to the conclusion that if you like Roseanne good chance you would vote republican. Basic stuff that they oversold their ability to sway voters.

But that experien/Wal-green data though? More important that figuring out your personality or political leanings, the best way to sell you shit is to see where you spending money historically.

You are focused on sites, but the real world data they collect on you is just as scary (or to my point can be even more so). And I think you are missing that that info isn't silo'd in a bunch of different places like you suggested.

Again, not saying nothing to worry about facebook, but I am saying the shit they already have on us, not based on likes but rather on how you spend your money, is just as scary.

I think when someone tells me that they won't rent me a place because they don't like my credit score, that shit is real and you can feel today.

>And friends?
>And then also allow access to unaccountable third parties for
>their data sets?
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:36 PM

15. "Who has as extensive of a profile on you as Facebook "
In response to Reply # 14

And who do they allow access to?

------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 03:42 PM

16. "I think google has more info on me thru my emails, online purchases"
In response to Reply # 15

and drivng habits.

All FB has on me is a few photos, a few song selections and my opinion on the NFL kneeling debate.

Google tho? Sheeeit. That’s the real deal.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 03:59 PM

17. "Who does Google allow to have access to that data?"
In response to Reply # 16

------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 12:40 PM

26. "Hopefully no one"
In response to Reply # 17

If I asked you who was FB selling data to before CA hit the news what would your answer be to that question?

My piont is this isn’t about knowing who they sell or give data too... its the fact they collect 5 times as much data as FB.

Are you worried about all that data being sold or distributed or nah?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 01:03 PM

29. "And I think here’s why I, you, and a lot of us diverge"
In response to Reply # 26

Yes selling your data is bad ... it seems we’re in agreement with that
But Facebook didn’t sell to CA
They opened up the dataset to CA and anyone else ... that’s what I’m tryin to scream about.

You watch your tv, you KNOW that someone is monitoring your viewing habits
But the cable company isn’t just letting everyone SEE the meats and potatoes behind that even if they’re selling your data on viewing habits

Facebook on the other hand allowed anyone with an app to scrape data on you, your friends, your families, and your associates. Which allows anyone that’s looking to build analytics to make a DETAILED profile of your life without consent.
Based on that you’ve been subjected to experiments that you didn’t agree to and that ethically you would’ve needed to consent to.
Those experiments were mainly in the form of algorithm manipulation on that platform.
Externally you and me and everyone else were subjected to association matrices and psychographical profiles
That are now floating around in very grey areas of legality.

My beef is with the raw data access. Not the data in itself.
The data is definitely a problem, but I really feel people are not truly understanding how dangerous raw access is.

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "so, google and facebook don't nec. share that data"
In response to Reply # 17

they let other people target you based on that data.

it's part of why they (facebook) were mad at cambridge analytica.

the data is the value in their business, and they ain't trying to let someone else walk off with it. you see? it's not so much that they sell tyourdata, it's that they license access to you based on said data.

people really misunderstand the business models of these companies, even though they're publicly traded and fairly descriptive about how they work.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 01:14 PM

30. "Close but still eh, until very recently allowed your data to harvested"
In response to Reply # 28
Tue Aug-07-18 01:14 PM by MEAT

CA got caught but the amount of people who have access and records of your data set is what makes Facebook so very problematic
Hell even with the spigot shut off until very recently Facebook users still had a unique enough publicly facing user ID that people who have that data could still work in the grey

You know this. You write about this. It’s your livelihood. And I don’t doubt your bonafides within this.
My beef isn’t what Facebook or Google HAS it’s what they’ve allowed unaccountable others to HAVE and Facebook, based on the level of personalization and uniqueness of the profiles, has allowed others to HAVE way more than I’m personally comfortable with .

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 01:50 PM

31. "What everyone keeps forgetting "
In response to Reply # 30

There was a user that granted CA permission to collect that data. They didn't just go willy nilly grabbing it all. The terms and services of the time were not violated. It was just really sloppy.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:03 PM

33. "Bullshit. CA scraped over 83 mil profiles from < 280k opt ins"
In response to Reply # 31

Just stop typing.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:36 PM

36. "So 280k people opted in o_O"
In response to Reply # 33

Kinda like 23andme got your whole family DNA because your second cousin twice removed opted in.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:45 PM

37. "How would someone have YOUR DNA from a second cousin?"
In response to Reply # 36
Tue Aug-07-18 02:46 PM by MEAT

It’d be more like your second cousin opted in, so they took a saliva sample from the trash can at Thanksgiving of everyone your cousin interacted with.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 04:14 PM

40. "Cause that's how DNA works"
In response to Reply # 37

The family markers can point to you even if you didn't opt in. It may be unique to them but it's also a strong match for their relatives.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 04:21 PM

41. "You could’ve just typed you don’t understand the data breach "
In response to Reply # 40
Tue Aug-07-18 04:22 PM by MEAT

It would’ve saved us both time.
The third parties have your data.
Not a partial snapshot of it based on relationship.
All of it.
Because of the relationship.
Whatever that Facebook friend had access to, the third parties do as well.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 05:31 PM

42. "You coulda just typed you don't understand what a Breach is"
In response to Reply # 41

>It would’ve saved us both time.

Considering there was no Breach here. Those 280k opted in to allowing the third party to access friends data. Friends opted in via the terms of service. That's why the thing that was changed was the terms of service and the access app makers have. No big fixes. No warnings about hacks. This was how it was set up. Was it fucked up or how I said above sloppy? Yes but it was all utilizing methods FB had available at the time.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "you should've read what I said."
In response to Reply # 30
Tue Aug-07-18 02:18 PM by Rjcc

first - google isn't facebook.

second - that's why I mentioned CA.

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:21 PM

35. "I got what you said but the business interests of businesses isn’t my"
In response to Reply # 34
Tue Aug-07-18 02:27 PM by MEAT

concern. The fact that Facebook has allowed a lot of people access to what they consider critical to business information is overwhelmingly irrelevant to me.
I care that there aren’t any protections on that data.
People are going back and forth over Google and Facebook
But how many other CAs are out there?

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 04:22 PM

18. "Experian has more relevant data on you and they will sell it to anyone"
In response to Reply # 15

who will pay for it.

Look at the market segments they can delve into:

http://www.experian.com/marketing-services/digitalaudiences.html

There is also Amazon which got close to a 3B pop their last earning report from advertising.

Again, I think how you spend your money is way more vital information about you that advertisers want than what you like on FB.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 04:39 PM

19. "Source on them sharing their data set?"
In response to Reply # 18
Mon Aug-06-18 04:42 PM by MEAT

Credit worthiness is one of the most highly guarded trade calculations
So I’m going to need a source to believe that the big three have decided to dilute their monopoly and open up their trade secrets

You keep mentioning “meals” that are sold. Facebook gives access to recipes and ingredients.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 05:06 PM

21. "I could buy all the info on you based on your IP Addy right now"
In response to Reply # 19

No Facebook needed. And it would tie directly to your credit history. Oh you are at work, let me get that work email and I can tie it to your personal and really get this shit popping.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 05:22 PM

22. "Cool Morpheus. "
In response to Reply # 21

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:45 PM

38. "Source of them sharing? Bruh I just gave you the link of them selling it..."
In response to Reply # 19

And I am not talking about your credit worthiness, I am talking about companies that take 1st, 2nd and 3rd party data and created a digital profile of you that they sell to marketers so that they can sell to you.

Da fuck you talking about "meals"?

>Credit worthiness is one of the most highly guarded trade
>calculations
>So I’m going to need a source to believe that the big three
>have decided to dilute their monopoly and open up their trade
>secrets
>
>You keep mentioning “meals” that are sold. Facebook gives
>access to recipes and ingredients.

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:48 PM

39. "You linked to selling profiles. I’m talking data sets. "
In response to Reply # 38

Do you have a link?

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 05:05 PM

20. "(the info brokers who have your cc info are easily linked to your fb pro..."
In response to Reply # 7

you should opt out of all sharing from your credit card company

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 09:16 AM

23. "My credit card is through my credit union"
In response to Reply # 20

Are they still selling me out?

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 12:43 PM

27. "if you haven't opted out, pretty sure bet yes."
In response to Reply # 23

I don't know for certain, but I had to opt out from mine, but my credit union's credit card was actually administered by another company.

it's layers on layers. just follow the instructions and check.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 09:29 AM

24. "Absolutely"
In response to Reply # 3

=======================================
Coolin...

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 01:17 PM

5. "delete your account. not deactivate -> not according to Zuck"
In response to Reply # 0

He doesn't give you the option to completely delete
only "deactivate" which is basically putting your account to sleep
still alive, just unconscious
they still use your data, your friends, your friends data, doesn't matter what you do.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 12:17 PM

25. "this is not true"
In response to Reply # 5

you can delete

its a process

it takes weeks

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 01:50 PM

32. "Show us the way"
In response to Reply # 25

I want to completely delete not deactivate

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:05 PM

10. "Zuckernerd tryna get that overdraft protection on the low."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:21 PM

11. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 10

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:27 PM

12. "they should just become a bank..."
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 02:29 PM

13. "Banks are subject to regulatory oversight. "
In response to Reply # 12

------

Lobby General Discussion topic #13278190 Previous topic | Next topic