Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13278045

Subject: "Finding God at a Beyoncé Mass" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sun Aug-05-18 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Finding God at a Beyoncé Mass"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXci-sRayAQ

nas lost

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Beyonce Mass = A service incorporating Beyonce songs,
Aug 05th 2018
Definitely not mad
Aug 05th 2018
The European in me is trying to understand this and not be skeptical....
Aug 06th 2018
NOPE!
Aug 06th 2018
i was wondering what your take on this would be.
Aug 06th 2018
      For me the Book of Jude is a prophetic scripture.
Aug 06th 2018
           Thanks for your well thought out response.
Aug 06th 2018
                For Sure
Aug 07th 2018
Oh, this isn't supposed to be a skit for some comedy troupe?
Aug 06th 2018
the older I get, the weirder and dumber Christianity becomes to me...
Aug 06th 2018
yeah kinda hard to have a problem with this but not talking bushes.
Aug 06th 2018
      Parables are cool
Aug 06th 2018
           so you dont have a problem with the actual weird and dumb parts lol.
Aug 06th 2018
                Depends on what you're asking. I see the Bible as literary work with
Aug 06th 2018
anybody seen jerry o'connell on sway in the morning?
Aug 06th 2018
I’m not that damn crazy...
Aug 06th 2018
they seem to just be singing a few songs.
Aug 06th 2018
      Good at the game of trick-knowledge-y
Aug 06th 2018
      what's the trick?
Aug 06th 2018
           basically
Aug 06th 2018
      this is exactly how i see it
Aug 06th 2018
      simply put. It depends on what you believe...
Aug 06th 2018
Mad at this but happy to sing Gospel songs written by Slavers. SMH.
Aug 06th 2018
Oh, its Grace Cathedral - they do stuff like that all the time
Aug 06th 2018
Protestants, man
Aug 06th 2018
Hmm... this is gimmicky as hell but it works
Aug 07th 2018
Works in what way?
Aug 07th 2018
      Butts in the pews
Aug 07th 2018
Didn't think modern gospel could get any wacker. I was wrong.
Aug 07th 2018

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Sun Aug-05-18 06:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Beyonce Mass = A service incorporating Beyonce songs,"
In response to Reply # 0

not worshipping her. One would think this was fairly obvious but judging from some of the reactions online, I guess not?? lol

Anyway, interesting concept. Can't say I'm mad *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Aug-05-18 09:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Definitely not mad"
In response to Reply # 1

>Anyway, interesting concept. Can't say I'm mad *shrug*

mellowboogie
Member since Jun 26th 2006
3608 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 07:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The European in me is trying to understand this and not be skeptical...."
In response to Reply # 0

but it' soooooo hard

But saying that, I probably would have gone to mass way more if we got to sing beyonce songs.

'Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo'

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 07:51 AM

4. "NOPE!"
In response to Reply # 0

Current Favorite Song: https://youtu.be/8v_KFHnPImY

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 10:43 AM

17. "i was wondering what your take on this would be."
In response to Reply # 4

other than "NOPE!", what is your take?

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 04:47 PM

22. "For me the Book of Jude is a prophetic scripture. "
In response to Reply # 17

>other than "NOPE!", what is your take?

I'm so sick of these gimmicks, tricks, and crap that preachers, churches, denominations are trying to use in order to attract new members to the faith and congregations. Jesus said, "And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”

Too many churches and leaders are compromising the gospel and contaminating it in an effort to appeal to the WORLD. As a result, Christianity is weakened and disfigured to the point that its witnesses are powerless, ignorant, and uneducated about the truths of the Bible and God's identity, plan, mission and true love.

Everyone is looking for the next big hit, program, attraction to use instead of just PREACHING the Unadulterated Truths of the Bible and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Heck, most Christians today are Bionically illiterate and this kind, so mess is only perpetuating the very things that Paul was combating in his letters to the early churches that he planted and helped to foster.

Jude New International Version (NIV)
1 Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James,

To those who have been called, who are loved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ:

2 Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.

The Sin and Doom of Ungodly People
3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

5 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. 7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

8 In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial beings. 9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.

11 Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error; they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion.

12 These people are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm—shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted—twice dead. 13 They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” 16 These people are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

A Call to Persevere
17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Doxology
24 To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25 to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 05:00 PM

23. "Thanks for your well thought out response. "
In response to Reply # 22

I do appreciate your perspective.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 02:34 PM

27. "For Sure"
In response to Reply # 23

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Oh, this isn't supposed to be a skit for some comedy troupe? "
In response to Reply # 0

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:29 AM

6. "the older I get, the weirder and dumber Christianity becomes to me..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:34 AM

8. "yeah kinda hard to have a problem with this but not talking bushes."
In response to Reply # 6

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:41 AM

9. "Parables are cool"
In response to Reply # 8

I more talking about the whole culture.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 09:22 AM

12. "so you dont have a problem with the actual weird and dumb parts lol."
In response to Reply # 9

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 09:31 AM

14. "Depends on what you're asking. I see the Bible as literary work with"
In response to Reply # 12

artistic and poetic qualities. There's plenty of verifiable historic content contained within it as well. Just like many other great literature works out there.

It's a very complex and layered work.... so from that stand point I have no issue at all with The Bible or the many translations of it. With that in mind...I DO scoff at some of the interpretations and liberties that are taken by religious leaders to promote their causes.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:30 AM

7. "anybody seen jerry o'connell on sway in the morning?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/lrqJB5bV06E?t=1m30s (around 1:30 mark)

dude was talking about beyonce and jay-z like nelson and winnie.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:54 AM

10. "I’m not that damn crazy..."
In response to Reply # 0

love her but, there is a separation of God and Beyoncé...

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "they seem to just be singing a few songs."
In response to Reply # 10

not worshiping her. basically, like singing kirk franklin songs.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 09:28 AM

13. "Good at the game of trick-knowledge-y "
In response to Reply # 11

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 11:17 AM

19. "what's the trick?"
In response to Reply # 13

to get people into the building right?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 11:19 AM

20. "basically"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon Aug-06-18 11:19 AM by FLUIDJ

& I ain't mad.
shit still weirder to me the older i get

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 10:46 AM

18. "this is exactly how i see it"

>not worshiping her. basically, like singing kirk franklin
>songs.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 11:28 AM

21. "simply put. It depends on what you believe..."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 09:55 AM

15. "Mad at this but happy to sing Gospel songs written by Slavers. SMH. "
In response to Reply # 0

Google the author of "Amazing Grace" and help me understand why that song doesn't bother but singing "Beyonce" songs in church does?

The history of black spiritual music is filled with the introduction of secular music that has school go into a panic, then it eventually goes mainstream.

Yall don't remember defending Kirk Franklin!??!? I know, this time is different though..

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 10:09 AM

16. "Oh, its Grace Cathedral - they do stuff like that all the time"
In response to Reply # 0

back when I lived in the bay folks would routinely go to the house music nights they had in the church

Grace reflects the times.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 05:03 PM

24. "Protestants, man"
In response to Reply # 0

Second time in the past two weeks I've been able to highroad Rome's much, much, much, much younger cousins on this site. It's pretty great.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 07:31 AM

25. "Hmm... this is gimmicky as hell but it works"
In response to Reply # 0

Gotdamn Black women love some Beyoncé

If they came out with Beyoncé pills women would take them shits twice a day.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 07:40 AM

26. "Works in what way?"
In response to Reply # 25

Jim Jones worked too.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 03:49 PM

29. "Butts in the pews"
In response to Reply # 26

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 03:04 PM

28. "Didn't think modern gospel could get any wacker. I was wrong."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13278045 Previous topic | Next topic