Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13277519

Subject: "The term "poor white trash"" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 04:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The term "poor white trash""

I've always had issues with this. This article sums them up nicely.

What do you think of the term? Problematic?

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/08/01/605084163/why-its-still-ok-to-trash-poor-white-people

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This link title sums it up for me
Aug 01st 2018
they earned it these last few years.
Aug 01st 2018
Very classist
Aug 01st 2018
What class of yt folks hasn't proven to be racist over generations tho?
Aug 02nd 2018
      Obviously...
Aug 02nd 2018
Only problem I have with it is other (usually wealthier) whites using it...
Aug 01st 2018
This passage reflects my problem with it...
Aug 02nd 2018
WPP
Aug 02nd 2018
pretty much.
Aug 02nd 2018
RE: WPP
Aug 03rd 2018
that part
Aug 03rd 2018
most of them voted for 45 so fuck'em
Aug 02nd 2018
RE: The term "poor white trash"
Aug 02nd 2018
I never liked the implication that trash and white are opposite.
Aug 02nd 2018
non-constructive class consciousness
Aug 02nd 2018
those are the exact 45 cultists that can't be reasoned with
Aug 03rd 2018
I like most of the 2nd half of the article but not the 1st half.
Aug 02nd 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This link title sums it up for me"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13277042&mesg_id=13277042&page=

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 06:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "they earned it these last few years."
In response to Reply # 0

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Very classist"
In response to Reply # 0

but I understand why black folks use it. Poor yt folks have proven to be racist over generations and don't deserve our solidarity.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 10:27 AM

12. "What class of yt folks hasn't proven to be racist over generations tho?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Poor yt folks have
>proven to be racist over generations and don't deserve our
>solidarity.

Such distinctions are the only reason I agree with getting rid of the term, b/c we end up acting like it's just the poor ones. We shouldn't even need the word "trash" to think "racist" when we hear the word "white" since white folks created the hierarchical race system which is, of course, racist.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 11:03 AM

14. "Obviously..."
In response to Reply # 12

My comment is simply highlighting why black people in particular tend to use the term. The argument that black people actually believe that rich or middle class white people are better than the poor ones is pretty silly, and historically inaccurate. I think a better interpretation is that poor whites often live in closer proximity to the masses of black folks (who are poor) than rich ones, so it’s easier for many black folks to identify the specific racist behaviors of poor whites.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 06:40 PM

4. "Only problem I have with it is other (usually wealthier) whites using it..."
In response to Reply # 0

describe behavior that they're guilty of, too.

Never heard a white person (who wasn't a piece of shit) objecting to anyone else using it, though.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:05 AM

5. "This passage reflects my problem with it..."
In response to Reply # 0

"White trash, as described by Wray, is an oxymoron. Black trash, by that thinking, is almost redundant. He says that white trash 'is a term that really has white supremacy baked into it, because it's kind of like it's understood that if you're not white, you're trash.'"

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:16 AM

6. "WPP"
In response to Reply # 0

wypipo problems

term created of, for, and by them soooooo

=======================================
Coolin...

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:45 AM

10. "pretty much."
In response to Reply # 6

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Fri Aug-03-18 03:41 AM

15. "RE: WPP"
In response to Reply # 6

>wypipo problems
>
>term created of, for, and by them soooooo

also, probably the only insult that hits with any impact.

don't be fkn evil.

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Fri Aug-03-18 06:41 AM

16. "that part"
In response to Reply # 6

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:26 AM

7. "most of them voted for 45 so fuck'em"
In response to Reply # 0

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7006 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: The term "poor white trash""
In response to Reply # 0

mmmmmm

The 3rd prong of America.. that good indentured servant class

Shiftless white people have been a concern of the Elites (landowners) in America since 1619..

I wish poor white people understood this.. Embracing the white trash name is simply saying.. I aint shit.... but I aint black either...

right where the white supremacist power structure wants you.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I never liked the implication that trash and white are opposite."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-02-18 09:53 AM by Teknontheou

It implies that trash = black/brown.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "non-constructive class consciousness"
In response to Reply # 0

but the racial class trumps in America (no pun intended)

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Fri Aug-03-18 09:25 AM

17. "those are the exact 45 cultists that can't be reasoned with"
In response to Reply # 11

don't be fkn evil.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 10:52 AM

13. "I like most of the 2nd half of the article but not the 1st half."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-02-18 11:10 AM by Boogie Stimuli

Ultimately, I agree with getting rid of the term, b/c like I stated elsewhere we end up acting like it's just the poor ones. We shouldn't even need the word "trash" to think "racist" when we hear the word "white" since white folks created the hierarchical race system which is, of course, racist.

The only thing I don't really like is the beginning of the article where she's trying to present this as if poor white people got it so bad, especially in their television depictions segment. I have zero time for that when you have to dice white people up into classes, but I stay pointing out how Black folks get horrible depictions in shows.

Also, the woman who wrote this is biracial (Black and Jewish). She's written an article about it:
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/10/12/496868502/black-jewish-and-avoiding-the-synagogue-on-yom-kippur
She also wrote an article on code-switching where she chose to include a very interested quote:
"Franchesca in San Francisco writes:
I am mixed Filipino and black, but was raised by my Filipino side. Because I identify more with being Filipino, **I get offended when people assume that I'm only black or that I'm only into "black things." For example, they assume that I must be into black men**, etc. It makes me feel like I'm being stereotyped based off my appearance (which is racially ambiguous and depends on who is looking at me and their own perceptions or experiences with different ethnicities). How can I avoid being offended and address the situation when I do feel like I am being boxed into a certain category, without making it a huge deal?"

I think it's important that the statement "I get offended when people assume that I'm only black or that I'm only into black things. For example, they assume that I must be into black men" was included here. Not just the fact that Black men are "things" but that she chose that quote is significant. A LOT of these Black women who write on race for these publications are constantly dog whistling to white men, and one of the most common tactics they use is to shit on Black men... because white men who date Black women tend to prefer that you do that, and obviously it's effective, b/c so many of them do it. Think Crystelyn Karazin or Yesha Callahan of The Root. It's sad that anyone would stoop so low, but hey, that's where we are.

She's written multiple articles about the subject of biracial people in general. That's not necessarily problematic in itself, but her confusion is very clear to me from the stuff she writes. It's very easy to be confused as a biracial person tho, because you easily end up fighting FOR white supremacy while claiming to fight against it, because you're trying to protect the feelings of one of your parents... or friends, SO or whatever. Speaking of cinema earlier, Hollywood's pairing of Black women (especially biracial Black women) with white men could be influencing how she's seeing things in that regard as well. She thinks Black people have "made it" so now she's gotta ride for poor white folks lol.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Lobby General Discussion topic #13277519 Previous topic | Next topic