Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13277055

Subject: "Handyman shit... (for the ladies too...being handy isn't gender specific..." Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 07:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Handyman shit... (for the ladies too...being handy isn't gender specific..."

Got a call from our tenant on Sunday about the washing machine not working right....

FCK!! We 2 weeks out from closing on the sale of this anchor...I do NOT need shit breaking down now and costing me money...All the appliances are now at least 11 years old....I just need them shits to last 2-3 more weeks please!

So anyway...like a BOSS...I grab my tools and head over there to see what it do...
or what it DON'T do..

So the joint stopped mid cycle AFTER it filled with water.... my deduction was that something has to be telling the machine to NOT proceed with the wash cycle now that the tank is full of water...
WHY?
Because... SAFETY.....a big tub of water doesn't need to be sloshing around when....The LID IS OPEN...
BUT..the lid is CLOSED...

Hmmmmm....

What signals to the machine that the lid is closed?? a SWITCH.
Where is that switch?..

*Breaks out screw driver*
*sees switch is on the back side of the rim where the lid latches*
*determines that the top has to come off in order to access the switch*

Yada yada yada....10 min. later...

The switch crumbled in my fingers... so I snipped the connecter off that joint, spliced the two wires together and plugged the disconnected connecter back in to the washer....flipped the breaker back on, and
BAM!! Washing machine is back to washing again...

THIS is how you slum lord like a BOSS!!

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
haha, well done man.
Jul 31st 2018
yo, careful, I almost fried myself for the same shit
Jul 31st 2018
haha...peep the part where I turned the breaker BACK on ....
Jul 31st 2018
I get stuck in youtube fix-it wormholes
Jul 31st 2018
Bruh, you're gonna have to put in a new switch. Now it's a hazzard
Jul 31st 2018
Slum Lords stand UP!
Jul 31st 2018
Yeah this is exacty what I was thinking
Aug 02nd 2018
Anytime I fix something
Jul 31st 2018
haha, same
Jul 31st 2018
When I think about the upcharge for having someone else do it
Jul 31st 2018
fixed a leaky shower after two years
Aug 01st 2018
Favorite story was fixing my fridge on a Sunday
Jul 31st 2018
I wasn’t able to fix our fridge. We needed a new motherboard
Jul 31st 2018
Amazon is a conundrum: it's both SAVED me a ton and COST me a ton
Aug 01st 2018
There was an epilogue to the story. Ended up replacing the board anyway
Aug 01st 2018
Did you turn the power off first...
Aug 01st 2018
"....flipped the breaker back on, and..."
Aug 01st 2018
      But did you turn the power OFF???
Aug 02nd 2018
Best Post I've read in a while..
Aug 02nd 2018
hell yeah youtube has been my best friend
Aug 02nd 2018
I had a similar issue but it was the dial/selector up top
Aug 02nd 2018
My favorite fix was replacing the capacitor on my AC unit
Aug 02nd 2018

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "haha, well done man. "
In response to Reply # 0

now just cross your fingers and pray for another couple weeks.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:23 AM

2. "yo, careful, I almost fried myself for the same shit"
In response to Reply # 0

dryer went kaput, I got the tools out got to digging, got to the on/off switch and started tinkering but then it kinda hit me that I should unplug the fucking thing since the wires are live

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:38 AM

4. "haha...peep the part where I turned the breaker BACK on .... "
In response to Reply # 2

I did make the mistake of activating the circuit without putting the top cover back on though .... water started sloshing a bit toooooo close to them freshly exposed wires...

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:26 AM

3. "I get stuck in youtube fix-it wormholes"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like I can do everything.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:59 AM

5. "Bruh, you're gonna have to put in a new switch. Now it's a hazzard"
In response to Reply # 0

You basically shorted it. Now, someone can lift the lid and the machine will still run. Some dummy sticks a hand in there and now you're getting sued.

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 10:03 AM

6. "Slum Lords stand UP! "
In response to Reply # 5

>You basically shorted it. Now, someone can lift the lid and
>the machine will still run. Some dummy sticks a hand in there
>and now you're getting sued.
lol...
nah...
I know..
New switch is en route from Santa ...AKA Amazon.com. Tenant had a load he needed to get done ahead of the work week. Couldn't let the homie start his work week un-fresh.
Told him to not be stupid and i'd have the permanent fix by next weekend.

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 11:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Yeah this is exacty what I was thinking"
In response to Reply # 5

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79331 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 10:43 AM

7. "Anytime I fix something "
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like a boss.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:02 AM

8. "haha, same"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
79331 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:30 AM

9. "When I think about the upcharge for having someone else do it"
In response to Reply # 8

I get real YouTube specific

Also helps to have an HVAC guy as my neighbor.

He prolly saved us hundreds plus he showed me how to fix a few minor things myself.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 04:02 PM

16. "fixed a leaky shower after two years"
In response to Reply # 7

noticed it after we moved in, told the landlord. his response: "i could fix it but i would need to shut off the water for the whole house"

it was a small occasional drip til about 2 months before i fixed it. it turned to a steady stream.

turns out i only needed to turn off the hot water to fix it. stripped screw head complicated things but i was able to make a new notch with my dremel. i did have to buy a shower socket wrench and a new valve.

i shouldn't had waited so long but really he shouldnt had hesitated to fix it.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Favorite story was fixing my fridge on a Sunday"
In response to Reply # 0

So... The fridge seemed to be acting up on Friday. Randomly cycling on and off the compressor. Saturday morning the ice was getting soft. In the fridge, the digital temp readout was climbing. By the evening, the fridge would cut off and restart itself every 5 minutes or so. Not a good sign

All the appliances in the house were new when bought, so it should not be going out at 9 years in. I also don't have $1400+ for a counter depth fridge. Being it is now Saturday evening, the chances of getting a service guy out any sooner than Monday are slim. Time to hit the innanets...

The problem was narrowed down to the control board in that model of fridge (and a bunch of other refrigerators from other brands that used the same part). Turns out the board is out of production (apparently the company that made them was wiped out in that tsunami that hit). A few places offered to 'recondition' the control board, but it would take close to a week to have it shipped, fixed, and sent back. After an hour or two I stumbled on a blog that detailed a similar problem. Of greater interest, the claimed fix was $6...

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/03/how-to-fix-a-whirlpool-kitchenaid-w10219463-2307028-control-board-for-6/

By this time it's Sunday morning. Fridge has cycled on and off all night, and we already tossed food or moved what we could to coolers with ice. May as well give it a shot. The fix called for removing the control board and soldering a relay and a few capacitors. Amazon had the parts, and actually had SAME DAY SHIPPING ON SUNDAY with Prime. Since time is of the essence I paid the delivery fee, which was about the same as the parts. But, $22 >>> $1400. Parts came that evening, I heated up the soldering iron, swapped the parts out, reinstalled everything, and...

It Worked!!

Walked around the house like a big boss for a week...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

legsdiamond
79331 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 02:23 PM

11. "I wasn’t able to fix our fridge. We needed a new motherboard"
In response to Reply # 10

Ice machine worked tho after it was installed

I feel so defeated when I had to make that call.

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 05:45 AM

12. "Amazon is a conundrum: it's both SAVED me a ton and COST me a ton"

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "There was an epilogue to the story. Ended up replacing the board anyway"

Replacing the capacitors and relay worked for about a month, but the control board had to have been pretty far gone anyway, as the fridge would never go on a defrost cycle. So after about 10 days the coils would freeze up. I emptied everything again, pulled the freezer apart, defrosted the coils with my heat gun and installed a new thermostat and fan. Same thing happened 2 weeks later.

I bit the bullet and bought the 'service kit', which was a replacement for the original control board (and apparently what is being used to fix all the refrigerators with this problem). The cheapest I could find it was about $275, but it was being drop shipped from the west coast and would take a week to get to the house. So we pulled the coolers out once again, got some dry ice, and toughed it out.

Replacing the control board itself wasn't too difficult. It was pretty much a plug and play solution. The design was interesting though. Whereas the original control board was just one PCB, the new setup was made of 5 separate PCBs. The case that the PCBs was designed to mount to the same spot as the original, but it was much larger, so the fit was super tight. I managed to wrangle it in there, but the rollers on the fridge looked to be jammed and scratched the floor when I moved it back in the place.

2 years later the fridge has been rock solid and the temps haven't budged. Cost a little more than I wanted, but less than having a repair man come out and MUCH less than a new one.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 10:04 AM

14. "Did you turn the power off first..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lectricity dont play fam...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 02:12 PM

15. ""....flipped the breaker back on, and...""
In response to Reply # 14

legsdiamond
79331 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 03:37 PM

20. "But did you turn the power OFF???"
In response to Reply # 15

Lol

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 12:38 PM

18. "Best Post I've read in a while.."
In response to Reply # 0

Current Favorite Song: https://youtu.be/8v_KFHnPImY

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 03:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "hell yeah youtube has been my best friend"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife is super handy too. She loves doing projects around the house. Painting and making shit new again. She can build anything that we order. If something breaks me and youtube can usually take care of that. Best feeling in the world.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10883 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 03:39 PM

21. "I had a similar issue but it was the dial/selector up top"
In response to Reply # 0

>Go
>So the joint stopped mid cycle AFTER it filled with water....
>my deduction was that something has to be telling the machine
>to NOT proceed with the wash cycle now that the tank is full
>of water...
>WHY?
>Because... SAFETY.....a big tub of water doesn't need to be
>sloshing around when....The LID IS OPEN...
>BUT..the lid is CLOSED...
>

Basically if you've got the kind of washer that uses a dial to select the wash cycle, it also controls the timing of the cycle. The dial (really the selector underneath the dial) can get unseated and mess up the wash cycle if it's pulled out too aggressively.

Anyway, like everybody else, I Googled/Youtubed it and decided it would be the cheap fix to try first. I saw how to remove the dial, re-seat the selector and re-attach the dial. Voila, washer was back on it's normal cycle

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10883 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 04:05 PM

22. "My favorite fix was replacing the capacitor on my AC unit"
In response to Reply # 0

My wife had a house party with her girlfriends on probably the hottest day of the summer. I had been out, doing my own thing all day, only to come back to the house at 10pm with the temperature reading 90 degrees.

My wife thinks nothing of it, she likes it hot but I wasn't about to die in my sleep from heat exhaustion so I started poking around the AC.

I could hear the thermostat kick on to signal the AC to turn on so I was confident that wasn't the issue.

The air handler for the house wasn't that old at that point and I didn't see any obvious issues.

I went outside to look at the unit and it was literally too hot to touch. Hmmm... didn't know what to do but since it was late on a Saturday, I had time to play around with it before trying to get a technician on Monday. So I broke out the spare floor unit A/C's that we had and did my best to make a couple rooms bearable for the night.

The next morning, I go back to tinkering with the unit. I flip some breakers and still no dice but I do notice an occasional electric hum from the outside unit. I do my Google's and find out that these units have a capacitor for kickstarting the fan that cools the bell housing that's filled with the refrigerant.

I decide to kickstart the fan manually with a stick and boom, it's spinning! At this point, I'm pretty sure it's just the capacitor so I order one on Amazon for next day delivery ($30 total).

The next day, I remove the old capacitor (after shorting it out), install the new capacitor and we're back in business. It would've cost $80 just to get someone out there just to look at it but I was able to do it myself for less than half.

In hindsight, that incident probably accelerated the demise of the air handler because I had to replace leaking coils a couple years later

Lobby General Discussion topic #13277055 Previous topic | Next topic