Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13277042

Subject: "Boo f'n hoo...." Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 05:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Boo f'n hoo...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/07/30/feature/majority-minority-white-workers-at-this-pennsylvania-chicken-plant-now-struggle-to-fit-in/?utm_term=.7d0247fc25e2

Inside a rural chicken plant, whites struggle to fit in.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Aw yeah mad dominicans moving out there to PA
Jul 31st 2018
I won't front...the language thing is an issue to me....
Jul 31st 2018
      Yeah I can definitely understand that. Especially in the work place
Jul 31st 2018
      My thing is when folks switch to their native language when you show up....
Jul 31st 2018
I can see where they are coming from. Understand what they're feeling
Jul 31st 2018
I dislike the article playing them as victims from jump....
Jul 31st 2018
      Nah it's definitely digging at the root on the low
Jul 31st 2018
           And the irony and shortsightedness of this:
Jul 31st 2018
Why don't non immigrants want to work in these places?
Jul 31st 2018
Who WANTS to work in a place like that?
Jul 31st 2018
RE: Why don't non immigrants want to work in these places?
Jul 31st 2018
She better buy Spanish for Dummies
Jul 31st 2018
Imagine looking into chicken plants and deciding the problem
Jul 31st 2018
This is a weird take. WaPo didn't write the story I wanted to read
Jul 31st 2018
There are worse things going on in chicken plants than white anxiety
Jul 31st 2018
They weren't looking into chicken plants though ...
Jul 31st 2018
      No, I get that
Jul 31st 2018
My neighborhood is an immigrant enclave in Brooklyn.
Jul 31st 2018
Nah, I totally get it. My beef is with the victimization of the white fo...
Jul 31st 2018
Who was in your BK neighborhood first though?
Jul 31st 2018
      the current groups were preceded by others too though
Jul 31st 2018
      So it's all relative which means you can only complain about the
Jul 31st 2018
           *calls cops on your domino game*
Jul 31st 2018
      You mean between me and the individuals I'm talking about?
Jul 31st 2018
dios mio
Jul 31st 2018
Los Dominicanos hablan muy rapido
Jul 31st 2018
rapidly and don't enunciate.
Jul 31st 2018
this was a really good read, actually
Jul 31st 2018
this is often overlooked
Jul 31st 2018
yikes
Jul 31st 2018
i think the key difference is you grew up around it.
Jul 31st 2018
      absolutely, but at some point there were people here
Jul 31st 2018
           no doubt. if she's gonna work there it seems silly to not adjust
Jul 31st 2018
Yeah this is real sad they don't get to be as racist at work
Jul 31st 2018
Meanwhile:
Jul 31st 2018

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 06:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Aw yeah mad dominicans moving out there to PA"
In response to Reply # 0

my homies' baby mother from the BX whole family moved out there to work.

I've been hearing Dominicans talking about their family or friends buying nice houses for pretty cheap

It's definitely a mini demographic shift. But if they weren't getting priced out of the city, they might not have left NYC

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 06:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I won't front...the language thing is an issue to me...."
In response to Reply # 1

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 07:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yeah I can definitely understand that. Especially in the work place"
In response to Reply # 2

For instance when someone is having a loud personal call in Spanish for half an hour that they know damn sure they wouldn't be having at their desk if it was in English, I can understand when coworkers get tight.

But, I bet the bosses are caucasian, so, at the end of the day, maybe you don't know if Elvis and Yefri are talking about you behind your back, but you know the company has your back. At the town and areas in question are still predominantly white.

Interesting look at what can make people turn conservative. Still reading the article

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:36 AM

20. "My thing is when folks switch to their native language when you show up...."
In response to Reply # 2

...even tho they were just speaking in English a second ago, and they know damn-well you can't understand.

For some reason, people don't get how passive-aggressive, rude and cowardly that behaviour is. I don't fuck with anyone that does that shit, like at all. We got nothing to talk about and no reason for me to even acknowledge them, at least until they stop acting like cowards.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:00 AM

4. "I can see where they are coming from. Understand what they're feeling"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-31-18 08:05 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I feel uncomfortable being in a room for 10 minutes withe people speaking and not knowing what's going on. As a child of immigrants, this is a situation I was (am) in often.

Now extend that feeling to 8hrs a day, everyday? Yeah, I'd be anxious and frustrated.

Change is hard. Rapid change is even harder. Having to integrate into way of living when you are the local is difficult. Folks talk about gentrification so much, they should be able to empathize.

The issue is how they process the change around them and the anxiety that comes with it. Do they lash out and resist is with white supremacist rhetoric/tactics? Or do they find a way to go with the flow.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:12 AM

7. "I dislike the article playing them as victims from jump...."
In response to Reply # 4

I don't see an oz of struggle...
I see the typical entitlement...

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:27 AM

9. "Nah it's definitely digging at the root on the low"
In response to Reply # 7

Yes, it's technically from the perspective of the white people, but it also shows they can be impatient, entitled, and close-minded.

Fredericksburg is white white white, but the county is turning more Spanish speaking, these are the facts that are under examination. How the male and the female who are dating experience their work environment is very different, speaking to gender roles in the work place, and socialization, aside from their race.

The part where they are in the demo and it's mostly in Spanish and she gets uncomfortable with the jokes they tell Spanish for no reason is telling. She's missing out on the workplace shenanigans that unite people, so of course she feels isolated, but gets defensive too quickly.

The fact the white guys do their bigoted banter openly in front of the 'good hispanic' main mechanic, because he's their link to 'the others', but meanwhile that guy is requesting to work with more latinos to get away from their bullshit just shows opportunities to bridge the gap are lost.

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:51 AM

10. "And the irony and shortsightedness of this:"
In response to Reply # 9

>The fact the white guys do their bigoted banter openly in
>front of the 'good hispanic' main mechanic, because he's their
>link to 'the others', but meanwhile that guy is requesting to
>work with more latinos to get away from their bullshit just
>shows opportunities to bridge the gap are lost.

You claim they don't care about people with white skin but then treat this guy like an outsider or language lackey. I despise this type of behavior, no matter the group, and it wreaks of entitlement.

"No, I shouldn't have to adapt...YOU should, this is MY country."

Because Americans in general (but specifically rural white Americans) are spoiled on nationalism and neighborhoods where they are the dominant demos...for miles. American English is made up of so many other foreign words, phrases and sentiments that saying "you should speak English" is comical.

I get it, fear of change and all, but I've always wanted to learn Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin and maybe a select few African languages. If I was placed in an environment where it was necessary, I'd dig in and do so. The problem with these people is, they don't want to adapt and now that the playing field is evening/shifting, they can't understand how their view is exactly what they've subjected others to.

"No, I shouldn't have to adapt...YOU should, it's more of us than you."

Pretty soon, there won't be many places to run to in America where they can hide from the Real America.

America needs more urban hubs in rural states. We really, really do.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:11 AM

5. "Why don't non immigrants want to work in these places?"
In response to Reply # 0

There is a meat processing plant in my home town. A native born person would last about a week before quiting while immigrants will be there for 10-15 years.

I know it's hard, nasty work. But it's weird to think that either the work is too hard for American born folks or that they think they are too good for that work

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79602 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:15 AM

8. "Who WANTS to work in a place like that? "
In response to Reply # 5

Not to sound rude but I think immigrants are used to working these jobs because we outsource a lot of this type of work.

I also think a lot of white folks are swayed by TV so they think they should have glamorous gigs

Not sure tho

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "RE: Why don't non immigrants want to work in these places?"
In response to Reply # 5

>I know it's hard, nasty work.

and we are too good for that kind of work. we're a service industry country now. manual labor is no longer what we strive to do.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79602 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:12 AM

6. "She better buy Spanish for Dummies"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:06 AM

11. "Imagine looking into chicken plants and deciding the problem"
In response to Reply # 0

is there are too many Spanish speakers and it makes the whites uncomfortable.

Some of these plants (the ones that somehow also get to double as "Christian rehab" places) are basically prison camps where people with low-level offenses get sent to work for literally no take-home pay until they physically collapse.

This was from last year and I'm sure it's only gotten worse.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_todayworld

Bonus for the Washington Post, the people profiled are white but somehow are more concerned with things like "the numerous injuries I was forced to work through have left me with chronic pain for the rest of my life" than "I overheard too much Spanish."

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:08 AM

12. "This is a weird take. WaPo didn't write the story I wanted to read"
In response to Reply # 11

They should have written this one instead. Lol

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:28 AM

14. "There are worse things going on in chicken plants than white anxiety"
In response to Reply # 12

is a weird take. Got it, will adjust my worldview from here on out. Thank you for your service.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Bumaye
Member since Jul 28th 2005
800 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:46 AM

16. "They weren't looking into chicken plants though ..."
In response to Reply # 11

They were looking at white demographic anxieties and resentment, and found a chicken plant. that's why they arrived at the article they arrived at. They weren't doing a muckraking article about industrial life.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:48 AM

17. "No, I get that"
In response to Reply # 16

Was just pointing out that these places are horribly fucked up in a lot of other ways.

But I could have used a different phrasing than "looked into," that was confusing on my part.

------

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "My neighborhood is an immigrant enclave in Brooklyn."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-31-18 09:28 AM by Teknontheou

Come to think of it, most of Brooklyn probably counts as a gigantic immigrant enclave, apart from Bed Stuy and the parts with all the white gentrifiers.

Anyway, alot of times in the stores around here, I'm the only person in the line or in the room whose English is fluent. Just in those little encounters it can make communication frustrating because I often have to simplify my English (which is harder to do than people realize) to ask a question or make a point. I can see how that would be kind of a heavy thing to deal with at work all day. I didn't read the article, so if the white folks were on some overtly racist stuff, then yeah, screw them, but just overall having a problem with not being able to use English here in the US, I get it. When Americans go to other countries and get chauvinistic about having to use other languages, we get rightly criticized for that. I don't see why that shouldn't apply when people come here and do the same.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:36 AM

15. "Nah, I totally get it. My beef is with the victimization of the white fo..."
In response to Reply # 13

and their alleged "Struggle"....
It's a good article overall though.
I think the writer also "gets it"...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:53 AM

22. "Who was in your BK neighborhood first though?"
In response to Reply # 13

I live in a pretty arab/muslim neighborhood and you hear alot of foreign languages but I'd be a dick head as someone who moved into the neighborhood after them and be annoyed they don't speak english.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 12:03 PM

23. "the current groups were preceded by others too though"
In response to Reply # 22

I think the original non-native settlers in Bushwick, for example, were dutch

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 12:45 PM

24. "So it's all relative which means you can only complain about the"
In response to Reply # 23
Tue Jul-31-18 12:46 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

folks who come after you.

Only dickheads show up and complain about people already in the neighborhood.

That's the story of gentrification in a nutshell.

>I think the original non-native settlers in Bushwick, for
>example, were dutch
>
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:12 PM

29. "*calls cops on your domino game*"
In response to Reply # 24

>Only dickheads show up and complain about people already in
>the neighborhood.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "You mean between me and the individuals I'm talking about?"
In response to Reply # 22

I've been there 12 years next week, and I'd bet money more than half of the people I'm referring to have been in the country for less than 5 years, at any given point. I can tell because many of them haven't bought new "American " clothes yet; they're still wearing the stuff they brought from home (my neighborhood is Russian, Uzbek, Tajik, Polish, Bangladeshi, Hasidic, Mexican, and a tiny number of transplants and gentrifiers.)

Or do you mean overall groups? Based on research I've done, I believe this neighborhood was Irish and Jewish up until maybe 30 years ago.

Anyway, being annoyed doesn't make anyone a dickhead. Treating people poorly does, and I treat everyone with respect.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 10:02 AM

18. "dios mio"
In response to Reply # 0

tengo jugo de pollo sobre mi cara.

(Oh my god, I have chicken juice all over my face)

she could fit in if she tried.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:51 AM

21. "Los Dominicanos hablan muy rapido"
In response to Reply # 0

Su santisimo.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:07 PM

26. "rapidly and don't enunciate. "
In response to Reply # 21

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:02 PM

25. "this was a really good read, actually"
In response to Reply # 0

as someone mixed who never fully fits in with any demographic, i both understand the outsider perspective, and at the same time don't completely get it (meaning I've never been part of a once dominant group, and become the minority) but I can def empathize.

i definitely get watching the community you grew up in completely change, and suddenly you are an outsider (though as pimp touched on above this is due to gentrification). it's a weird ass feeling getting funny looks from some hipster, like "what are YOU doing here".

from a political standpoint, republicans have always attempted to exploit this fear of change uncertainty, and trumpism has pumped it with steroids. liberals outside of Bernie have largely decided these people aren't worth their time. the reactions of 'boohoo cry me a river whitey', though also understandable, only drive otherwise reachable people to bubbles where they feel safe and accepted (trumpism)

also, we'll all soon enough be assed out when none of us speak robot

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 03:33 PM

34. "this is often overlooked"
In response to Reply # 25
Tue Jul-31-18 03:35 PM by infin8

liberals outside of Bernie have
>largely decided these people aren't worth their time. the
>reactions of 'boohoo cry me a river whitey', though also
>understandable, only drive otherwise reachable people to
>bubbles where they feel safe and accepted (trumpism)

But: it's hard to try to 'reach' our perceived opressors and part of the problem in THIS particular case is that she dropped Spanish.

also: One fkn semester could've enabled her to converse on a basic level and build on that. She wasn't prepared for real life, or at least life outside the confines of that house.

LOL @ her and her boo's Nordic-ass last names, and they got the nerve. I bet the Native Americans who were already here felt uncomfortable listening to her ancestors speak whatever they were speaking.

womp-womp

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:12 PM

28. "yikes"
In response to Reply # 0

learn a little spanish

i guess growing up in texas hearing spanish spoken around has never bothered me, just encouraged me to learn spanish

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:29 PM

30. "i think the key difference is you grew up around it."
In response to Reply # 28

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 02:01 PM

32. "absolutely, but at some point there were people here"
In response to Reply # 30

that didnt grow up around it and those people are old and/or gone or understood that... times change these folks can suck it up

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 02:18 PM

33. "no doubt. if she's gonna work there it seems silly to not adjust"
In response to Reply # 32
Tue Jul-31-18 02:19 PM by Mynoriti

just kind of generally speaking.watching the place you grew up transform is a weird thing. And its happening in different directions. In Boyle Heights you got white hipsters bitching about the elote cart man or loud Spanish music at a party. like suddenly they dont belong in what has been a traditionally mexican neighborhood for generations. In the sense of becoming an outsider in the place you grew up I get it.

but yeah. It's not like shit is changing back so she should make more of an effort.

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5188 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:33 PM

31. "Yeah this is real sad they don't get to be as racist at work"
In response to Reply # 0

as they are at home. What will they do now.

---------------------------
Signature

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 03:59 PM

35. "Meanwhile:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://gothamist.com/2018/07/31/fort_tryon_park_hate_group.php

Lobby General Discussion topic #13277042 Previous topic | Next topic