Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13272459

Subject: "Seriously, why does anyone give a sh*t if Zac Efron sports dreads?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 09:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Seriously, why does anyone give a sh*t if Zac Efron sports dreads?"

I know people call it cultural appropriation but without using those words I'd like for someone to describe the harm or disrespect that is being done to anyone by someone wearing a certain hairstyle or wearing Asian prints or whatever. I get when the style has significant religious or cultural meaning (I wouldn't wear another groups religious garb for Halloween for example) but I wish a mofo would try to tell me I couldn't wear a certain hairstyle because it belongs to their culture.

I find this issue particularly annoying because folks getting worked up by this make it easy to dismiss more important issues because they all get lumped together as oversensitive PC culture.

I mean come on, how overwrought "My lifestyle is not something you steal and pick up just for fun”? Your lifestyle? Come one B. Unless you a Rasta that sounds like some bullshit.

No one owns culture and if your culture spreads that's typically (granted no always) a good thing.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zac-efron-got-dreadlocks-just-for-fun_us_5b3f5fdce4b09e4a8b2c0111

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lol our generation of complainers are the worst
Jul 07th 2018
This is a Black discussion Heinz, you can see your dumbazz out of it.
Jul 07th 2018
      Lol the irony of a cultural appropriation discussion
Jul 08th 2018
I’m ok with black people going extra
Jul 07th 2018
Lol
Jul 07th 2018
Who?
Jul 07th 2018
is this really a thing or it just a few people bitching?
Jul 07th 2018
thats the cycle.
Jul 07th 2018
      RE: thats the cycle.
Jul 07th 2018
      Ben Shapiro DESTROYS cuck lib
Jul 07th 2018
      Nice one
Jul 07th 2018
I don't like it at all but....
Jul 07th 2018
That's not what cultural appropriation is
Jul 08th 2018
thanks. was hoping someone else would explain
Jul 08th 2018
I know you've worked a lot in the corporate sector
Jul 09th 2018
But White folks are always "exercising their privilege".
Jul 09th 2018
There’s a portion of black folks that feel dreads are black culture
Jul 08th 2018

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 09:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lol our generation of complainers are the worst "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-07-18 09:31 AM by Heinz

Theres times where important battles are fought and it makes you smile with a sense of pride. Then there's things like this. Our generation no matter the cause they are fighting for, no matter their race, sex or sexuality.

----------

IG @h_n_z

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "This is a Black discussion Heinz, you can see your dumbazz out of it."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Jul-07-18 06:07 PM by NoDrawls McGraw

Your input isn't even *remotely needed, asked for, or counted.

Thanx

-Black management

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Heinz
20763 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 04:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Lol the irony of a cultural appropriation discussion"
In response to Reply # 9

While putting out shitty music with with asian artwork lol

Please tell me more

----------

IG @h_n_z

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22260 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 09:39 AM

2. "I’m ok with black people going extra"
In response to Reply # 0

I don’t agree with it. But a generation of black folks that feel safe enough to claim shit that may or may not be ours and go for each and every neck is one that I can admire.
I know our generation had to assimilate and compromise a lot just to get better footing, but there’s a part of me that laments that we didn’t fight as much.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Heinz
20763 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 09:47 AM

3. "Lol "
In response to Reply # 2

----------

IG @h_n_z

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79762 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 12:10 PM

4. "Who?"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 01:23 PM

5. "is this really a thing or it just a few people bitching?"
In response to Reply # 0

countered by more people bitching about the bitching

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 01:50 PM

6. "thats the cycle."
In response to Reply # 5

limited backlash.

disproportionate and sensational coverage of the limited backlash.

disproportionate and sensational coverage of the limited backlash amplifying the odds, scope and intensity of a backlash to the backlash.

disproportionate and sensational coverage of the backlash to the backlash.

disproportionate and sensational coverage of why either backlash is bad for society.

youtube recommending a clip from a joe rogan podcast episode where he and another socially displaced white male 'intellectual' whine about the 'crazy times' we live in, how you cant do anything anymore, and how we are headed towards becoming nazi germany or stalinist russia if we arent careful.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "RE: thats the cycle."
In response to Reply # 6

damn post modernists!!

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 05:24 PM

8. "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS cuck lib"
In response to Reply # 6

>youtube recommending a clip from a joe rogan podcast episode
>where he and another socially displaced white male
>'intellectual' whine about the 'crazy times' we live in, how
>you cant do anything anymore, and how we are headed towards
>becoming nazi germany or stalinist russia if we arent
>careful.
>

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 08:55 PM

11. "Nice one"
In response to Reply # 6

>limited backlash.
>
>disproportionate and sensational coverage of the limited
>backlash.
>
>disproportionate and sensational coverage of the limited
>backlash amplifying the odds, scope and intensity of a
>backlash to the backlash.
>
>disproportionate and sensational coverage of the backlash to
>the backlash.
>
>disproportionate and sensational coverage of why either
>backlash is bad for society.
>
>youtube recommending a clip from a joe rogan podcast episode
>where he and another socially displaced white male
>'intellectual' whine about the 'crazy times' we live in, how
>you cant do anything anymore, and how we are headed towards
>becoming nazi germany or stalinist russia if we arent
>careful.
>
>

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 06:13 PM

10. "I don't like it at all but...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-07-18 06:14 PM by NoDrawls McGraw

...I understand the vast scope of our indelible influence on everybody the world over.

If the person is at least melanated, I'm not too much trippin but if the person is of European descent, his anti-racism game gotta be super on-point or its violation.

Like, he can't be no cock racist azz mofo devoid of the culture that he's borrowing from, thats just reckless and grounds for gettin ya azz beat. But of Duke got love for da culture on some flattery shit, its whatever.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18119 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 06:58 AM

13. "That's not what cultural appropriation is"
In response to Reply # 0

Cultural appropriation is when a culture creates something and is looked down upon or stated as being inferior for it, then another culture comes along and utilizes that creation in a way the originators were not afforded.

An example is how things like chakras and study of the pineal gland is considered "new age" now that white people got a hold of it, but Africans were called savages and demon worshipers for coming up with it in the first place. Or how white women can wear braids and be seen as fashion forward, but black women can't wear them to work because it's deemed "ghetto" or inappropriate for work environments.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35877 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 08:10 AM

14. "thanks. was hoping someone else would explain "
In response to Reply # 13

excellent.

basically Zac exercising his white privilege by rocking a hairstyle that would prevent many black people from even getting certain jobs

d

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18119 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 06:09 AM

16. "I know you've worked a lot in the corporate sector "
In response to Reply # 14

I got out of it as quickly as I could, so you may be able to answer this for me (if you want to, of course).

How often have you encountered black people that are more than willing to perpetuate that sort of thing in the workplace, from a genuine place? I know there's a difference in mentality between somebody trying to keep a job and somebody that's all on board for this madness, and in my short time in that world I ran into more of the latter than the former.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 09:33 AM

17. "But White folks are always "exercising their privilege". "
In response to Reply # 14

White Privelege isn't a super power that they activate at times to get certain benefits. They are constantly benefiting from it.

As a similar example, white boys in my office can come in looking ratty wearing sneakers and beat up polos. I wouldn't even try to get away coming into the office dressed like that.

Are they exercising white privilege? I don't know but they are fully benefiting from white privelege. Should they not dress like that? I don't know.

I guess I am having a hard time with the rule that white people shouldn't exercise their white privilege because it's like asking them to stop being white.

Also I don't think this definition explains why Jeremy Lin got shit for wearing dreds or why people screamed Cultural Appropriation when the girl wore an Asian Print Dress.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/learning/prom-dress-cultural-appropriation.html

>excellent.
>
>basically Zac exercising his white privilege by rocking a
>hairstyle that would prevent many black people from even
>getting certain jobs
>
>d

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22260 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 10:27 AM

15. "There’s a portion of black folks that feel dreads are black culture"
In response to Reply # 13

I don’t know how big that portion is. I feel that it’s the lower end of the millennial generation but that’s where this static comes from.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Lobby General Discussion topic #13272459 Previous topic | Next topic