Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13271722

Subject: "Republican Rep Jim Jordan Is Next Up On That Summer Jam Screen" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Republican Rep Jim Jordan Is Next Up On That Summer Jam Screen"

#metoo from a male angle.
dude was allegedly an enabler of some larry nassar shit (but with males).

this.shit.is.crazy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/powerful-gop-rep-jim-jordan-accused-turning-blind-eye-sexual-n888386

Powerful GOP Rep. Jim Jordan accused of turning blind eye to sexual abuse as Ohio State wrestling coach

"At the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on," a former Ohio State wrestler said.

Rep. Jim Jordan, the powerful Republican congressman from Ohio, is being accused by former wrestlers he coached more than two decades ago at Ohio State University of failing to stop the team doctor from molesting them and other students.

The university announced in April that it was investigating accusations that Dr. Richard Strauss, who died in 2005, abused team members when he was the team doctor from the mid-1970s to late 1990s.

Jordan, who was assistant wrestling coach at the university from 1986 to 1994, has repeatedly said he knew nothing of the abuse until former students began speaking out this spring. His denials, however, have been met with skepticism and anger from some former members of the wrestling team.

Three former wrestlers told NBC News that it was common knowledge that Strauss showered regularly with the students and inappropriately touched them during appointments, and said it would have been impossible for Jordan to be unaware; one wrestler said he told Jordan directly about the abuse.

Former head coach Russ Hellickson, Jordan's mentor, said in a recent video — made by Mike DiSabato, a former wrestler — that Hellickson had told Strauss that he was being too "hands on” with students.

DiSabato, whose allegations against Strauss prompted Ohio State to open its investigation, called Jordan a “liar.”

“I considered Jim Jordan a friend,” DiSabato said. “But at the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on.”

DiSabato said he reached out to Jordan this year, before going to the university, to tell Jordan that he planned to go public with his allegations. Jordan told him to “please leave me out of it,” DiSabato said. “He asked me not to get him involved.”

Dunyasha Yetts, who wrestled at Ohio State in 1993 and 1994, said he and others told Jordan about Strauss.

“I remember I had a thumb injury and went into Strauss’ office and he started pulling down my wrestling shorts,” he said. “I’m like, what the f--- are you doing? And I went out and told Russ and Jim what happened. I was not having it. They went in and talked to Strauss.”

Yetts said he and his teammates talked to Jordan numerous times about Strauss.

“For God’s sake, Strauss’s locker was right next to Jordan’s and Jordan even said he’d kill him if he tried anything with him,” Yetts said.

Yetts admitted that he did time for bilking investors out of nearly $2 million. “I am not a perfect person, but ask any of the wrestlers and they will tell you everybody knew about Doc,” said Yetts, who served 18 months in prison.

As for Jordan, Yetts said, “He’s a great guy. We would have all these great talks with him and he talked about how one day he’d be the president of the United States."

"So it’s sad for me to hear that he’s denying knowing about Strauss," he said. "I don’t know why he would, unless it’s a cover-up. Either you’re in on it, or you’re a liar.”

A former teammate of DiSabato’s who asked not to be identified said he never told Jordan directly that Strauss had abused him. But there is no way Jordan could have avoided the rumors “because it was all over the locker room.”

“I love Jimmy to death,” the ex-wrestler said. “It was a head-scratcher to me why he would say he didn’t know anything. Doc used to take showers with the team even though he didn’t do any workouts, and everybody used to snicker about how you go into his office for a sore shoulder and he tells you to take your pants down.”

When the first stories about the university investigation appeared this spring, Jordan told The Columbus Dispatch, “I had not heard about any type of abuse at all.” He also said that “no one reported any type of abuse” to him.

After NBC News reached out to Jordan, the congressman’s spokesman repeated the denial.

“Congressman Jordan never saw any abuse, never heard about any abuse, and never had any abuse reported to him during his time as a coach at Ohio State,” his spokesman, Ian Fury, said in an email to NBC News.

Jordan, a founder of the House Freedom Caucus, a group of the most conservative representatives, is a staunch ally of President Donald Trump and is frequently mentioned as a possible replacement for the speaker of the House, Paul Ryan.

DiSabato forwarded to NBC News an email he sent on April 24 to Jordan and the congressman’s brother, Jeff, who runs Jeff Jordan's State Champ Camp, a nationally known wrestling camp in Ohio. DiSabato sent the email 19 days after Ohio State announced on April 5 that it was investigating Strauss and the administrators of the wrestling program at the time, including the coaches.

DiSabato was concerned that the university would ultimately sweep his allegations under the rug, and he wanted to ensure that Jordan would back him up.

“I ask you to give your full attention to the information attached to this email,” DiSabato wrote. “We watching you. … You have the platform to cut through the double talk, placation and finger pointing.”

Jordan and his brother did not reply to the email, DiSabato said. Jeff Jordan said in an email that he'd never attended or worked at Ohio State University.

Jim Jordan, who has made a name for himself in Congress by grilling investigators probing alleged collusion by the Trump campaign with the Russians, is among the witnesses expected to be questioned by the law firm that Ohio State hired to conduct the probe into Strauss’ misconduct, officials involved with the investigation said.

In the video that DiSabato made about the allegations against Strauss, which DiSabato sent to Ohio State in June, Hellickson, the former head wrestling coach, said he told school administrators about Strauss and also warned the doctor to steer clear of his wrestlers.

“I said, ‘You make the guys nervous when you shower with them,’” Hellickson said in the video. “His response was, ‘Coach, you shower with your guys all the time.’ And I said, ‘Not for an hour, Doc.’”

DiSabato and his former teammates said Jordan and Hellickson were close, and if the head coach had qualms about Strauss he would have shared them with his No. 2.

“Jim was Coach Russ’ right-hand man,” one former wrestler said.

Hellickson, an Olympics silver medalist in wrestling in 1976 who has done commentary from the games for NBC News, did not return calls for comment.

In response to a series of questions from NBC, Ohio State emailed a statement saying that the law firm Perkins Coie was overseeing the probe into the Strauss allegations for the university. OSU said it has also reached out “to the Columbus Division of Police and the Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for any potential criminal investigation.”

“To date, Perkins Coie has interviewed more than 150 former students and witnesses and is engaged in further investigative efforts,” the university said in the statement. “Ohio State has shared all additional information that has come to the attention of the university with the independent investigators whose work is ongoing.”

It’s unclear whether former Ohio State coaches or administrators could face any penalties from the university for not protecting wrestlers from Strauss.

“Our efforts will continue to be focused on uncovering what may have happened during this era, what university leaders at the time may have known, and whether any response at the time was appropriate,” the university’s statement said. “Once the independent investigation has been completed, we will be in a position to consider what further action might be appropriate.”

As of Friday, Jordan had not been questioned by the university-hired lawyers, Fury, his spokesman, said.

Jordan is wrestling royalty. Born and raised in Champaign County, Ohio, he was a four-time state wrestling champion. Competing for the University of Wisconsin-Madison, he won NCAA titles in 1985 and 1986.

But in the wrestling world, Jordan is best known for defeating future two-time Olympic gold medalist John Smith twice in an NCAA tournament in 1985.

Jordan returned home to Ohio and — while working as a coach — earned a master’s degree in education at Ohio State and later a law degree from Capital University in Columbus before launching his political career in 1994 when he was elected to the Ohio General Assembly.

Strauss signed on at Ohio State as an attending physician in September 1978 and served as a team physician in the athletics department from July 1981 to June 1995, according to the university’s statement. He also worked as a part-time doctor in the university’s student health department from July 1994 to August 1996.

After resigning from the Ohio State medical staff in 1994, Strauss stayed on as an emeritus faculty member until he retired in July 1998 and moved from Columbus to Los Angeles, the university said.

Citing Los Angeles County coroner records, The Columbus Dispatch reported that Strauss died of suicide in 2005 after struggling with pain and other health issues.

Strauss’ relatives have not spoken publicly about the allegations since they surfaced. NBC News was not able to reach any of his relatives.

DiSabato, who runs a Columbus-based sports and entertainment agency called the Profectus Group, said the recent conviction of former Olympics gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar prompted him and other Ohio State athletes to come forward about Strauss.

Strauss’ primary job was to give wrestlers physicals, treat them for injuries and monitor their health, DiSabato said. He said Strauss also preyed on students who played other sports.

“Strauss sexually assaulted male athletes in at least fifteen varsity sports during his employment at OSU from 1978 through 1998,” DiSabato wrote in a June 26 email to Kathleen M. Trafford of Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, the Columbus-based law firm that represents Ohio State. “Athlete victims include members of the following programs: football, basketball, wrestling, swimming, cheerleading, volleyball, lacrosse, gymnastics, ice hockey, soccer, baseball, tennis, track and cross country.”

Chillingly, DiSabato added: “Based on testimony from victim athletes from each of the aforementioned varsity sports, we estimate that Strauss sexually assaulted and/or raped a minimum of 1,500/2,000 athletes at OSU from 1978 through 1998.”

Ohio State has confirmed that investigators have received “confidential reports of sexual misconduct committed by Strauss” from former athletes in 14 sports and from former patients in Student Health Services.

In the video, DiSabato said Strauss knew that many of the athletes were small-town kids who weren’t likely to protest if the doctor told them to disrobe, for fear of losing their scholarships. He said coaches knew that Strauss was a predator.

“Everybody knew before you were going into the room that Doc Strauss was going to touch you,” DiSabato said. “It was like a joke before you went in there.”

Strauss wasn’t the only Ohio State official who showered with the team, DiSabato said. After practice ended at 3:30 p.m., some university professors, administrators and others would show up in the shower stalls just as the athletes were arriving, he said.

It was, DiSabato said, like walking through “the gauntlet of sexual deviancy.”

Another former wrestler whose testimony appears on the video DiSabato submitted to investigators described how Strauss grabbed his penis during an examination.

“I didn’t do a thing,” he said when asked how he responded. “Probably, because I was scared.”

He broke down when asked why, after all these years, he was speaking out.

“Why am I doing this now? It’s just hard,” he said. “I don’t want this to ever have to happen to anybody else, ever … at The Ohio State University or any school.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I know this is serious.. but a few lines in this story had me weak
Jul 03rd 2018
lol dude was straight out of an 80s movie.
Jul 03rd 2018
That's the third Big Ten institution this decade
Jul 03rd 2018
meanwhile betsy devos is rolling back rights/protections
Jul 03rd 2018
I hope he gets blasted, I hate the way he talks to people
Jul 03rd 2018
dude is a psychopath.
Jul 03rd 2018
Also, it's wild how we all just forgot the former Speaker of the House
Jul 03rd 2018
yup hastert just rode off into the sunset
Jul 03rd 2018
i forgot hastert was a wrestling coach
Jul 05th 2018
they were still writing letters for that piece of shit
Jul 10th 2018
all Republicans are either in denial, pedos, or serial abuser/cheater
Jul 03rd 2018
i honestly wonder which part republicans would consider more damaging.
Jul 03rd 2018
I played college ball. Not a single coach or trainer has EVER...
Jul 03rd 2018
said he showered for an hour.. looking at wet bodies and fantasizing
Jul 03rd 2018
HELL YEAH.
Jul 03rd 2018
He shoulda been run out of Congress years ago for being a general piece ...
Jul 03rd 2018
if you didn't see him get roasted by Rod Rosenstein last week
Jul 05th 2018
Fourth Ohio State wrestler says Rep. Jim Jordan knew about sexual abuse ...
Jul 05th 2018
this shit getting ugly. dude is calling cops on people
Jul 05th 2018
Five now...
Jul 06th 2018
      wow mark coleman! dude is respected around the world.
Jul 06th 2018
      Seven now
Jul 08th 2018
‘A cesspool of deviancy’: New claims of voyeurism test Jordan denial...
Jul 07th 2018
Eighth Former OSU Wrestler Says Jim Jordan Knew About Sexual Abuse
Jul 10th 2018
they don't care about anyone.
Jul 10th 2018
By Summer Jam Screen, you meant two heartbeats away from POTUS
Jul 26th 2018
Hopefully he'll just be making a run for minority leader
Jul 26th 2018
      Man, for all the problems with Dems, the big House leadership news
Jul 26th 2018
Former Ohio State wrestling coach urged Rep. Jim Jordan's accusers to re...
Aug 01st 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I know this is serious.. but a few lines in this story had me weak"
In response to Reply # 0

“I said, ‘You make the guys nervous when you shower with them,’” Hellickson said in the video. “His response was, ‘Coach, you shower with your guys all the time.’ And I said, ‘Not for an hour, Doc.’”

and the thumb injury. Dude started pulling his pants down. Nigga what? You really have to be on one to try that shit. Dude had no chill.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "lol dude was straight out of an 80s movie."
In response to Reply # 1

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That's the third Big Ten institution this decade"
In response to Reply # 0

College sports is so shitty

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:15 AM

4. "meanwhile betsy devos is rolling back rights/protections"
In response to Reply # 2

for collegiate sexual assault/misconduct victims.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:17 AM

5. "I hope he gets blasted, I hate the way he talks to people"
In response to Reply # 0

I never knew he was such a badass though, he beat JOHN SMITH twice! John Smith is a wrestling god.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:26 AM

6. "dude is a psychopath."
In response to Reply # 5

i def could see him excelling at sports with that same maniacal approach.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:28 AM

7. "Also, it's wild how we all just forgot the former Speaker of the House"
In response to Reply # 0

was molesting kids under the guise of being a wrestling coach around this same time.

Like, he was Bush choking on a pretzel at the same time Cheney had another heart attack away from being president and we all just let it go and took everyone's word that they had no knowledge of this.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:37 AM

9. "yup hastert just rode off into the sunset"
In response to Reply # 7

with his name still on one of the most arcane undemocratic 'rules' of the house.

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 10:55 AM

15. "i forgot hastert was a wrestling coach"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Jul-05-18 10:55 AM by naame

there are several horrible child molestation aspects of Hastert's tenure as Speaker including invading Afghanistan, a country known for child trafficking, and then not doing anything when Defense contractors were caught actually paying for little boys to be given to Afghan warlords.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "they were still writing letters for that piece of shit"
In response to Reply # 7

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:32 AM

8. "all Republicans are either in denial, pedos, or serial abuser/cheater"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:39 AM

12. "i honestly wonder which part republicans would consider more damaging."
In response to Reply # 8

the molestation or the homosexuality.
(joking but not joking)

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:37 AM

10. "I played college ball. Not a single coach or trainer has EVER..."
In response to Reply # 0

...showered with us dudes on the team.

Was dude jerkin' it in the shower? Or was he #GymLockerRoom-ing shit up and just standing there under the water looking around?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:46 AM

13. "said he showered for an hour.. looking at wet bodies and fantasizing"
In response to Reply # 10

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "HELL YEAH."
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck Jim Jordan in the goat ass, if this sinks him I'm partying

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Jul-03-18 01:23 PM

14. "He shoulda been run out of Congress years ago for being a general piece ..."
In response to Reply # 0

But this is a perfectly valid reason, too.

His district, though... I don't see him losing reelection even if this becomes a much more visible story.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 10:58 AM

16. "if you didn't see him get roasted by Rod Rosenstein last week"
In response to Reply # 0

it is worth a watch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/28/rod-j-rosenstein-shuts-down-jim-jordan-over-fox-news-report/?noredirect=on

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 06:54 PM

17. "Fourth Ohio State wrestler says Rep. Jim Jordan knew about sexual abuse ..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fourth-ohio-state-wrestler-says-rep-jim-jordan-knew-about-n889071?cid=eml_nbn_20180705

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 07:02 PM

18. "this shit getting ugly. dude is calling cops on people"
In response to Reply # 17
Thu Jul-05-18 07:06 PM by Reeq

and claiming folks are bullying him lol.
https://thinkprogress.org/jordan-bullying-claims-83d2c32c6e53/

you know dude is guilty because he said the law firm osu hired never called him and they sent emails to the wrong address. like a law firm doing a high profile multimillion dollar comprehensive investigation isnt going to have iron clad documentation of its communications.

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5446 posts
Fri Jul-06-18 06:34 AM

19. "Five now..."
In response to Reply # 17

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-ohio-state-wrestlers-say-rep-jim-jordan-knew-of-team-doctors-alleged-misconduct-1530836633

WASHINGTON—Five former wrestlers, including former UFC world champion Mark Coleman, said this week that Rep. Jim Jordan was aware of, but didn’t respond to, allegations of sexual misconduct by an Ohio State University team doctor when the lawmaker was an assistant wrestling coach there in the 1990s.

“There’s no way unless he’s got dementia or something that he’s got no recollection of what was going on at Ohio State,” Mr. Coleman, the mixed martial arts champion, said of Mr. Jordan in an interview Wednesday. Messrs. Coleman and Jordan roomed together on several wrestling trips, Mr. Coleman said. “I have nothing but respect for this man, I love this man, but he knew as far as I’m concerned.”

Mr. Jordan has denied that he was aware of any sexual misconduct by Dr. Richard Strauss. The doctor died in 2005.

If he had seen abuse at the time, “I would have done something about it,” the Ohio Republican said in an interview this week. “If there was abuse, we want justice done. There’s no room for this kind of behavior.”

The focus on Mr. Jordan intensified in recent days when NBC News reported that three former wrestlers said Dr. Strauss’s inappropriate conduct was common knowledge. Eight people involved in Ohio State athletics in the 1990s spoke to The Wall Street Journal this week.

The controversy over how much the Ohio Republican lawmaker may have known at the time could affect the career trajectory of one of the most influential conservatives in the House. Mr. Jordan helped found the House Freedom Caucus, a group of roughly three-dozen conservative Republicans, and said he has been considering a run to succeed departing House Speaker Paul Ryan (R., Wis.).

“These are serious allegations and issues. The university has rightfully initiated a full investigation into the matter. The speaker will await the findings of that inquiry,” Doug Andres, a spokesman for Mr. Ryan, said in a statement.

President Donald Trump told reporters Thursday he didn’t believe the allegations against Mr. Jordan. “I believe Jim Jordan 100 percent. He’s an outstanding man,” Mr. Trump said Thursday evening.

“We are aware of reports that individuals at the university did not respond appropriately during Richard Strauss’s time at Ohio State from 1978 to 1998,” Chris Davey, a spokesman for the university said in an email Thursday. “These allegations are troubling and are a critical focus of the independent investigation that remains underway.”

Former Ohio State wrestler Mike DiSabato has led a campaign to publicize Dr. Strauss’s alleged wrongdoings for months and only recently began to criticize Mr. Jordan for allegedly ignoring athletes’ concerns. Mr. DiSabato has been joined by other athletes who wrestled during Mr. Jordan’s tenure, as well as athletes from other teams and those who were aware of allegations about Dr. Strauss’s conduct.

Mr. DiSabato and Mr. Jordan have clashed over the issue. Mr. Jordan’s office contacted the Capitol police after the lawmaker received allegedly threatening texts and emails from him, an aide said.

Mr. DiSabato said he had absolutely not threatened Mr. Jordan and that he had not been contacted by law enforcement about text messages.

In interviews this week, other former Ohio State athletes said Dr. Strauss’s abuses were well known on multiple sports teams. They said that even for minor injuries, Dr. Strauss would conduct unnecessary, full-body physical examinations, during which he would inappropriately touch them. He would also regularly watch them shower, the former athletes said.

“I complained more than three times. I came across Strauss and I had a thumb injury, and ended up getting a physical,” said Dunyasha Yetts, a former Ohio State wrestler.

He said that back in the 1990s people simply didn’t use the same language to describe abuse as is used today, but he recalls telling the coaches that Dr. Strauss was acting inappropriately and needed to be reprimanded.

“If Jordan says he didn’t know about it then he’s lying,” said Mr. Yetts.

This isn’t the first time the House has been jolted by sexual misconduct allegations. Recently, a series of lawmakers from both parties have left Congress after being accused of sexual misconduct as public scrutiny has intensified under the #MeToo movement.

Ohio State has a continuing investigation by an outside law firm into allegations of abuse by Dr. Strauss that began on April 5, according to an Ohio State web page on the matter. Mr. Jordan initially said investigators had not contacted him, but later learned that they had used the wrong email address to try to reach him, according to an aide for Mr. Jordan.

The university has received reports of sexual misconduct by Dr. Strauss from former athletes in 14 sports, according to its website. Dr. Strauss is also being investigated by an independent investigator authorized by the university for possible infractions as a student health doctor as well, according to the university website. He joined Ohio State’s staff in 1978 and retired in 1998.

“I knew Strauss, he was there when I was there,“ said one former athlete. ”All the stuff they’re saying about Strauss was out there.”

Dr. Strauss allegedly showered with athletes and on other occasions took photos of them for what he said was a planned book on musculature, according to the former athlete. “We thought he was weird but harmless,” the athlete said. “It was a different time.”

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Jul-06-18 07:43 AM

20. "wow mark coleman! dude is respected around the world."
In response to Reply # 19
Fri Jul-06-18 07:56 AM by Reeq

mark coleman putting his name behind this is gonna blow this open in terms of credibility. people may not have known the other accusers but they know and respect mark coleman.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 06:46 AM

22. "Seven now"
In response to Reply # 19

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

j0510
2315 posts
Sat Jul-07-18 09:55 AM

21. "‘A cesspool of deviancy’: New claims of voyeurism test Jordan denial..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-harassment-ohio-state-wrestling-699192

‘A cesspool of deviancy’: New claims of voyeurism test Jordan denials

A half-dozen former wrestlers at Ohio State, where GOP Rep. Jim Jordan once coached, said they were regularly harassed by men in their training facility.

By RACHAEL BADE and JOHN BRESNAHAN 07/06/2018 05:32 PM EDT

New allegations in the Ohio State University sexual abuse scandal are threatening to intensify the political firestorm facing its onetime assistant wrestling coach, powerful GOP Rep. Jim Jordan.

A half-dozen ex-wrestlers told POLITICO they were regularly harassed in their training facility by sexually aggressive men who attended the university or worked there. The voyeurs would masturbate while watching the wrestlers shower or sit in the sauna, or engage in sexual acts in the areas where the athletes trained, the former wrestlers said.

Larkins Hall, the building that housed athletic teams, became such a well-known target that people who frequented it at the time have reminisced in anonymous postings online how easy it was to ogle naked members of the wrestling team.

The situation was so egregious that former wrestling head coach Russ Hellickson would at times have to physically drag the gawkers out of the building, several sources familiar with his actions at the time said. Hellickson also pleaded with the university multiple times to move their athletes to a private facility, the sources said. Jordan served as Hellickson’s No. 2, and the coach has been described as Jordan’s mentor.

The accusations could exacerbate Jordan’s troubles. He was the wrestling team’s assistant coach from 1986 to 1994 and has adamantly denied knowledge of any sexual abuse.

“I never knew about any type of abuse,” Jordan said in an interview this week. “If I did, I would have done something about it.”

Though none of the wrestlers and coaches interviewed blamed Jordan for the inappropriate behavior they experienced in Larkins Hall, they said he would have had to know about it. One former wrestler told POLITICO he saw Jordan yell at male voyeurs to get out of the sauna, though Jordan’s office refuted this account. Even three wrestlers who defended Jordan said it would have been impossible for him not to notice the pervasive toxic atmosphere surrounding the team.

“Coaching my athletes in Larkins Hall was one of the most difficult things I ever did,” said a former wrestling coach who worked with Jordan but asked not to be named. “It was a cesspool of deviancy. And that’s a whole ’nother story that no one has addressed.”

“Was there some deviant behavior? … Was there behavior when guys were coming into the sauna and showers, was there sexual misconduct? No one is denying that,” said ex-OSU wrestler George Pardos of Larkins Hall in an interview. He defended Jordan as “one of the most honest men I’ve ever known.”

Multiple former wrestlers have accused Jordan, a National Wrestling Hall of Fame inductee, of being among the faculty members who turned a blind eye to inappropriate behavior by the late Richard Strauss, the university’s former athletic doctor. Strauss allegedly preyed on male students during physicals, groping them to the point of making them ejaculate, according to one nurse who witnessed it and recounted the story in a video produced by alleged victims and obtained by POLITICO.

Ohio State has launched an investigation into Strauss’ behavior. Strauss worked at the university from 1978 to 1998. He killed himself in 2005.

Jordan has become the face of the controversy because of his current high profile as a leader of the hard-line conservative Freedom Caucus. But the Ohio State scandal, which first came to light in April, goes well beyond him. Jordan was fresh out of college, still in his early 20s, when he started training Ohio State wrestlers near his own age. Ex-teammates said he expressed interest in politics even back then.

But those two worlds never collided until now.

Now, Jordan is one of the most powerful members of the House and a potential candidate for speaker. He commands the loyalty of at least three dozen conservatives who regularly look to him for guidance on how to vote, often pulling GOP leaders to the right. He is close with President Donald Trump, who expressed his support for the Ohio Republican on Thursday night.

Jordan has also built a reputation on Capitol Hill as a truth seeker and champion of the underdog. But questions are mounting about his actions — or failure to act — two decades ago.

The controversy will continue next week when Congress returns from its Fourth of July recess, and he is pressed by reporters for more information. So far, Jordan’s colleagues have remained quiet, though he has called several Freedom Caucus members to reiterate his innocence, GOP sources said.

But Jordan’s denials have upset several of his former wrestlers, who want him to acknowledge what they felt as victims of sexual abuse.

Jordan’s office has emphasized that no one ever told Jordan that they were sexually assaulted or abused. Other wrestlers said Jordan is technically correct that no one used the words “sexual assault” or “sexual abuse” — such terms weren’t typically used in the 1990s, they said. Society has changed, they added: Often, victims suffered abuse privately and rarely spoke about it publicly.

“It was pretty common knowledge it was going on, yes,” said Rob Archer, who wrestled at Ohio State from 1993 to 1998 and called POLITICO to defend Jordan. Archer was speaking of the alleged voyeurism at Larkins Hall. “I don’t think anybody reported anything to a coach because it wasn’t ‘abuse.’ It was more like they were going, ‘Hey, this is inappropriate,’ We’d deal with it, and we’d go on.”

Dunyasha Yetts, a former champion wrestler at the university, agreed that “sexual abuse” wasn’t used to describe what was occurring. But he accused Jordan of playing word games. Yetts said he was easily the most vocal person on the team to complain about Strauss and the Larkins Hall situation. Yetts claimed he not only told Jordan about Strauss’ behavior, but asked Jordan and Hellickson to confront the doctor with him.

At one point after being injured during his senior year, Yetts said he asked Jordan and Hellickson to come into Strauss’ examination room with him because he didn’t want to be fondled. Jordan’s office said this allegation, which has not been previously reported, never happened. Hellickson also said he had no recollection of this account but declined to elaborate.

“Yeah, you can say we never told you those words because we didn’t know those words, which is true,” Yetts said. “But for him to say he didn’t know? I asked him to come in there with me!”

Jordan’s allies have questioned Yetts’ credibility because he served 18 months in prison for fraud. But Yetts said that has nothing to do with the widespread sexual misbehavior he witnessed two decades ago.

Other wrestlers have vehemently defended Jordan. Rick Burlenski, who wrestled for Ohio State from 1991 to 1994, said he “never had an issue with Dr. Strauss” and never witnessed lewd behavior in the training facilities.

“He's always been an upstanding and straightforward guy,” Burlenski said of Jordan. “If there was an issue, I would have thought those guys would have handled it.”

Pardos also defended Jordan and Hellickson, but suggested both were aware that Strauss’ behavior was unusual.

“Did Russ and Jimmy know about inappropriate behavior? Yes,” Pardos said. “Did they know about abusive behavior? No, absolutely not.”

The Ohio State scandal — and talk of Jordan specifically — is tearing apart the university’s once tight-knit alumni wrestling network. Jordan’s former wrestlers are now warring publicly, with some accusing him of not doing enough to protect them and others coming to his defense.

One of the wrestlers who first raised the allegations and accused Jordan of knowing, Mike DiSabato, has had long-running business feuds with the university and has also had run-ins with Jordan’s family.

DiSabato sent Jordan several ranting emails that at times appeared unintelligible, and Jordan complained to the Capitol Police about him this week.

DiSabato, however, is only one of several witnesses to have come forward. Even defenders of Jordan told POLITICO that the environment in Larkins Hall was abhorrent. Jordan used to work out with the students and use the sauna with them, even creating his own jocular “King of the Sauna” award at the end of the year for the wrestler who was best at trash talking his opponents and boasting of his successes post-practice. That’s why several wrestlers said it‘s implausible that Jordan didn’t see anything, despite his denials.

University spokesman Benjamin Johnson acknowledged in a statement that Ohio State is “aware of reports that individuals at the university did not respond appropriately during Richard Strauss’ time at Ohio State from 1978-1998” and said the school is investigating.

“The university recognizes and appreciates the courage and assistance of those who have come forward and contacted the independent investigators,” Johnson said. “Ohio State is focused on uncovering what may have happened during this era, what university leaders at the time may have known, and whether any response at the time was appropriate.”

Didi Martinez contributed to this report.

j0510
2315 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 06:31 PM

23. "Eighth Former OSU Wrestler Says Jim Jordan Knew About Sexual Abuse"
In response to Reply # 0

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/eighth-ex-osu-wrestler-says-jordan-knew-about-sexual-abuse.html

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:42 PM

24. "they don't care about anyone."
In response to Reply # 0

this is the that white people don't get.

it's not just women

it's not just black people

it's not just mexicans, or muslims -- it's ANYBODY WHO GETS IN THE WAY OF THEM HAVING MORE POWER.

they don't give a fuck that these dudes were getting molested by the team dr, cuz that would fuck up the scam.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 11:06 AM

26. "By Summer Jam Screen, you meant two heartbeats away from POTUS"
In response to Reply # 0

Gonna have stiff competition from Joe Paterno's ghost and A Random Guy Flashing People On The Subway

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1022510611433959424

BREAKING: Rep. Jim Jordan is announcing his run for speaker of the House today in a letter to colleagues - @AlexNBCNews

------

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 11:59 AM

27. "Hopefully he'll just be making a run for minority leader"
In response to Reply # 26

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 12:22 PM

28. "Man, for all the problems with Dems, the big House leadership news"
In response to Reply # 27

this week has been Barbara Lee throwing her hat into the ring to replace Joe Crowley in Dem House leadership.

And for Republicans, it's been Yung Paterno looking to be the second of their last four House leaders with a child molestation/wrestling coach scandal.

Couldn't be more of a contrast.

------

j0510
2315 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 08:14 PM

29. "Former Ohio State wrestling coach urged Rep. Jim Jordan's accusers to re..."
In response to Reply # 0

Former Ohio State wrestling coach urged Rep. Jim Jordan's accusers to recant, texts show

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-ohio-state-wrestling-coach-urged-rep-jim-jordan-s-n896551

Lobby General Discussion topic #13271722 Previous topic | Next topic