Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13268086

Subject: "Is 2017-18 the New Golden era for rap?" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is 2017-18 the New Golden era for rap?"

I'm finally listening to Big Krits last album. Shit, this is so good these days

JCole
KDot
School Boy
Jay Rock - not for me but still
BT
Nas
Jay
Rapsody
Cardi - not for me but still
Drake
Phonte
Foreign Exchange
Royce
Bobby Fleeno
Black Milk

I'm sure there is more but iont fuck with the youngins these days

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nope, and IMO here's why.
Jun 20th 2018
Folks went HAM at these shitty Ye album releases
Jun 20th 2018
I wouldn't say it's a "Golden Era..."
Jun 20th 2018
Id argue there’s more variety now than the golden era
Jun 20th 2018
I forgot Pusha T? Damn, that's one of my fav releases too
Jun 20th 2018
      What did you think of Nipsey's album?
Jun 20th 2018
No - but you could start a new era
Jun 20th 2018
I'm not spending the time to come up with a new name..lol
Jun 20th 2018
it's a good few years for sure
Jun 20th 2018
It's pretty illogical for old dudes to be like "I don't feel this like I
Jun 20th 2018
yeah, there is no way we will ever hear hip hop like in the 90's
Jun 20th 2018
bruh, Hiphop has been in a great spot for a solid 8-9 years now,
Jun 20th 2018
      yep
Jun 20th 2018
      I don't hear it
Jun 24th 2018
      they must be talking about backpackers I don't know about
Jun 25th 2018
      Agreed. My caveat is that I like alotta southern classics from back the...
Jun 25th 2018
I think it goes back to when J. Cole dropped...
Jun 20th 2018
love that album
Jun 20th 2018
the rapping is on point, Production though is hit and miss
Jun 24th 2018
To people of a certain age group it probably is
Jun 25th 2018

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nope, and IMO here's why."
In response to Reply # 0

in the old "Golden Age", we cared about when stuff was coming out, and lined up at the store to get it. (People still wait anxiously for the new releases to 'go live', but hopefully you get my point).

Also, we followed the careers of our favorite MC's, not all this sideshow shit like nowadays.

I'll admit I've aged out of Hip-Hop, but even on a musical level, nothing grabs my ears or makes me want to run to the store anymore. I'm an old dude, and I'm fine with that.

Back again for the first time.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Folks went HAM at these shitty Ye album releases"
In response to Reply # 1

I checked for Nas on Spotifty like it was his first album.. at midnight, first thing in the morning, all thru work

but I'm talking about the music fam

Phonte
Royce
BT
Nas
Jay
Cole

I've been invested in their career/work.

and I'm also not in love with Hip Hop like I used to be but these last 2 years have been awesome for hip hop

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:08 AM

2. "I wouldn't say it's a "Golden Era...""
In response to Reply # 0

But I'd say that it feels good to see a strong number of alternatives to whatever the latest hot sound. There seems to be a lot more options out there that aren't the mumble rap/Trap style/etc.

And how you gonna leave Pusha Terrence off the list tho?????

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Id argue there’s more variety now than the golden era"
In response to Reply # 2

Rap’s been on an unparalled creative streak. There’s def some undercooked ideas flying out but overall we’ve got two conscious rappers at the top of the game critically and commercially (kendrick/cole) and a buffet of all types of hip-hop in a way the genre’s never seen.

Its def. in a better shape than late 90’s into 00 when everyone was trying to cross over P.Diddy style

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:47 AM

6. "I forgot Pusha T? Damn, that's one of my fav releases too"
In response to Reply # 2

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "What did you think of Nipsey's album?"
In response to Reply # 6

--- praying for peace, love, and power

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:15 AM

3. "No - but you could start a new era"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm finally listening to Big Krits last album. Shit, this is
>so good these days
First, you hit the nail on the head - good - for THESE DAYS.

But the Golden era of rap has passed.

Do what other media does and name a new era:

Comics have these eras: Golden age, Silver age, Bronze Age, and Modern ages.

We'd need more eras for hip-hop.

But , yes I'm old, but franklyI ain't feeling NONE of this stuff as much as I felt something silly/novelty like Das Efx's first album. If your BEST guys can't compete with some nonsense talking rap - then it ain't hitting.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:49 AM

8. "I'm not spending the time to come up with a new name..lol"
In response to Reply # 3

and we are old. The stuff we love will never compete with the youth even if they sell more albums.

it's their time now.

but I'm talking music quality, not sales or popularity

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:48 AM

7. "it's a good few years for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

granted I have aged out of a lot of what rappers are saying and I get lost in logic circles by asking myself

am I not relating to the content (i.e. money and girls, "I'm better than you because...", the drug game) because my station in life has changed?

or

am i not relating to the content because I've just heard the same thing over and over and over again so listening is kinda like hearing the same messaging over and over?

I guess when I think about it some more it seems like there is no dominant style like past eras. It's fractured. You could spend all day in backpacker land, all day in trap land, all day in straight up lyricism, all day in weirdo shit, etc

You could start with Roc Marciano, then go to Tyler, then go to Kendrick, then go to Tribe and somehow end up listening to Yachty in the span of an hour easily

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 11:53 AM

9. "It's pretty illogical for old dudes to be like "I don't feel this like I"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-20-18 11:54 AM by Boogie Stimuli

felt 90s stuff."

Of course you don't. You were much younger then and you related to the artists making that music... yall grew up in the same world... were shaped by the name happenings in the word, same catch phrases, all of that. Plus you and your ears were less mature. You've lived in the world longer, heard more music, etc. This just seems really hard for a surprising number of older folks to understand even with the revelation that most people are never as excited about music as the stuff they hear from around 14 to 20 or so.

With all that said, I like a lot of the newer sounds. I like hearing sound evolve and change. Alotta this stuff just sounds good to me as well. Like if you couldn't feel the beat for Chief Keef's "3Hunna", you might just be stuck in the 90s, which is fine, but no need to call all the new folks trash. "Narcos" by Migos, "Look At Me" by XXXtentacion, "Draco" by Future all *MUSICALLY* sound good to me, even if I don't like the lyrical content of these songs (I mean... I'm grown now). But I can see how kids would be jamming to this stuff like I jammed to "How I Could Just Kill A Man" when I was a teenager. Who am I to say our dysfunction at the hands of white supremacy was better than theirs? Even if we talk PE vs Black Opera, PE's mainstream success vs Black Opera's lack thereof is more about how the system stopped promoting our resistance.

Then we have those standout artists in Hip Hop who are actually dedicated to the craft of making music. I think an artist like Kendrick deserves all the accolades he gets, because regardless of how you feel about him, it's evident that he's dedicated to his craft and very careful about the construction of his music. And there are plenty going against the mainstream grain with the way music consumption is setup now. Promotion and marketing still has alotta sway over peoples' listening habits even in the streaming age, but we can find alternatives if we really want them. Seems sometimes like the biggest problem is getting people to want alternatives more than they wanna bash an entire generation.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:35 PM

10. "yeah, there is no way we will ever hear hip hop like in the 90's"
In response to Reply # 9

we lived for the funk back then

only folks who seem this invested are Drake fans these days. I'm entertained when I see heads defending Drake like we are at the HS table at lunch.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:41 PM

11. "bruh, Hiphop has been in a great spot for a solid 8-9 years now,"
In response to Reply # 9

at LEAST
the 2000s are at least as good as the 90s (minus those southern classics from that era, that is).
and, yeah, these kids have broader tastes and influences, which is always good to see

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:50 PM

15. "yep"
In response to Reply # 11

=======================================
Coolin...

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sun Jun-24-18 10:39 PM

17. "I don't hear it"

>and, yeah, these kids have broader tastes and influences,
>which is always good to see

It seems DOMINATED by trap beats, bad EDM ripoffs and autotune upon autotune.

IS there other music hiding somewhere?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 07:19 AM

19. "they must be talking about backpackers I don't know about"
In response to Reply # 17

because a lot of it is def trap and autotune

or more of the boom bap like Cole, KDot, Skyzoo, etc

but I can't front, I don't rock with most of these new lil (insert name) rappers

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 07:16 AM

18. "Agreed. My caveat is that I like alotta southern classics from back the..."

but I'm also from the south.
Outkast, Goodie Mob, Pastor Troy, Lil Jon, Ludacris, Ying Yang Twins, and even D4L lol. I fux with all of it.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:41 PM

12. "I think it goes back to when J. Cole dropped..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-20-18 01:47 PM by Creole

2014 Forest Hills Drive. Since then, we have seen a tremendously impressive run of top-notch music by older and newer artists alike.

2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_hip_hop_music#Released_albums

2016: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_hip_hop_music#Released_albums

2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_hip_hop_music#Released_albums

2018: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_hip_hop_music#Released_albums

--- praying for peace, love, and power

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 01:42 PM

13. "love that album"
In response to Reply # 12

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Jun-24-18 08:44 PM

16. "the rapping is on point, Production though is hit and miss"
In response to Reply # 0

naw it ain't the 90's however you got Kendrick, J Cole, and Drake who are making there own history and you got others who are representing
for there day and time.

every era has there own bag.

of course I like the Old School more because you had more variety however I can see every era doing there thing

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 07:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "To people of a certain age group it probably is"
In response to Reply # 0

But you can say that about pretty much any period of time.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13268086 Previous topic | Next topic