Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13265820

Subject: "School me on packing for business travel" Previous topic | Next topic
dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"School me on packing for business travel"

I've done a lot of traveling, but never in the capcity where I've had to pack more than 1 or 2 formal outfits per trip, like for a wedding or funeral or whatever

I've started a new gig where it's likely I'll be traveling to work with clients for a week or more at a time, and will need to dress professionally in all of those instances

So

Are there any products or strategies you strongly believe in? How long does the trip need to be for you to expect that you'll be cleaning clothes there and recycling outfits? How do you pack all these clothes so they're not super wrinkley - or do you have an effective approach to de_wrinkling when you arrive?

How many pairs of shoes are reasonable to include?

Are you tripping abt the carry on size limit reduction I've heard about?

Help please and thanks

__

fairweather

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Will you be wearing a full suit and tie every day?
Jun 12th 2018
Style wise shirt, slacks and sport coat/blazer will be cool most of the ...
Jun 12th 2018
      RE: Style wise shirt, slacks and sport coat/blazer will be cool most of ...
Jun 12th 2018
I usually pack sport-coat ready outfits...
Jun 12th 2018
I'm an ironer
Jun 12th 2018
yep...that let the steam from the shower get the wrinkles out move is BS
Jun 13th 2018
RE: School me on packing for business travel
Jun 12th 2018
Invest in a rolling garment bag
Jun 12th 2018
You probably want a nice OWB holster to match your shoes/belt
Jun 13th 2018
Pre-pack essentials
Jun 13th 2018
For a week, I'd bring two suits (wearing one - or at least its jacket - ...
Jun 13th 2018

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Will you be wearing a full suit and tie every day?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or is this just a shirt and slacks situation?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:13 PM

3. "Style wise shirt, slacks and sport coat/blazer will be cool most of the ..."
In response to Reply # 1

But in terms of packing space seems like the only savings over a suit is no tie lol

I'll need a suit sometimes - not sure how reasonable it is to re-wear the same one for multiple days in those instances

__

fairweather

Eric B Is Prez
4981 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:31 PM

5. "RE: Style wise shirt, slacks and sport coat/blazer will be cool most of ..."
In response to Reply # 3

You can re-wear a suit several times as long as you don't spill on it, get it visibly dirty, super wrinkled or smelly, or sweat through it. It's actually bad to have a suit dry cleaned too often. It can break down the structure. It may sound gross, but your shirt, underwear, and socks are taking the biggest hit in terms of your body funk. The suit should remain more or less unscathed.

For a 1-week trip, you can probably get by with two suits, one pair of shoes (neutral, that go with both suits), and of course clean shirt/underwear/socks every day. With everything you pack, think about neutral colors and versatility. Pack shirts that will go with any suit, ties that will go with any shirt, etc. You want to have as many different combinations as possible. Or instead of suits, it could be two blazers and two pairs of pants, each of which works in tandem with the other items.

It may sound silly, but also think about whether anyone will be seeing you more than once during the trip. If the answer is no, you can get away with re-wearing more of your combinations, assuming they look and smell OK. If you'll be seeing anyone for multiple days, you should avoid repeats so they don't think you're a slob.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I usually pack sport-coat ready outfits... "
In response to Reply # 0

So I wear one sport coat on the plane and then have two shirts and slacks/jeans that go with it.

Usually a benign colored jacket like blue or khaki.

Also, go to Marshall's or TJ Maxx and get a good overnight bag. I mean, I travel with a backpack, but that's just me.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 04:17 PM

4. "I'm an ironer"
In response to Reply # 0

I always try to make sure the hotel has an iron & a board in it.

For me, any more than 2 pairs of dress shoes is too many. Brown & black work well.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 09:11 AM

8. "yep...that let the steam from the shower get the wrinkles out move is BS"
In response to Reply # 4

i've also found these to be clutch for jackets

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/joy-mangano-my-little-steamer-go-mini-reg-hand-steamer/3277448?skuId=45006968&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cleaning_online&product_id=45006968&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o1&creative=224123843649&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=558371840&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-c1d7061e49955d66be710362b2a17f06_t-1528899073&gclid=CjwKCAjwgYPZBRBoEiwA2XeupSyH1zVcOope6ciXB8ynl1cyMDj17nZ8xm663zEocQWom8fQVUNZbhoCCO8QAvD_BwE

=======================================
Coolin...

Eric B Is Prez
4981 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 06:58 PM

6. "RE: School me on packing for business travel"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh- and a good trick is to steam your clothes in the bathroom when you get to the hotel and unpack. Put them on hangers, hang them in the bathroom, turn the shower on super hot then close the door. After about 5 minutes, give them a good shake and the wrinkles will fall out. This works for shirts and also for suits.

Just be careful not to steam your suit jackets too long. They may warp and the excess moisture isn’t good.

And, obviously, ironing as an alternative.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 11:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Invest in a rolling garment bag"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-12-18 11:58 PM by Sleepy

It's one of the best luggage purchases I've made. I don't even get to use it as much as I'd like. You can get them rather affordably. I do wish mine and the bar in the middle though.

I really do think I need to buy one of those travel business suits I always see in the stores.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13563 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 11:59 AM

9. "You probably want a nice OWB holster to match your shoes/belt"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-13-18 12:01 PM by flipnile

Oh, wait...

*sees Oakland*

Never mind.

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 12:14 PM

10. "Pre-pack essentials"
In response to Reply # 0

Have a dopp bag all set to go and prepacked - travel size bathroom stuff, extra contacts, a $20 bill (just in case you don't have cash on you or lose a card), travel size medicine (pepto, etc) and a mini sewing kit (in case a button falls off etc).

Each trip back home just make sure you have enough lotion, deodorant and toothpaste for the next trip.

A travel sized steamer if you can fit it in the luggage - like the others have said Hotel irons SUCK

I tend to pack at least one extra pair of pants and underwear just in case

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 03:30 PM

11. "For a week, I'd bring two suits (wearing one - or at least its jacket - ..."
In response to Reply # 0

one charcoal, one navy. I'd bring a pair of mid-grey pants and/or khaki chinos in addition, and three shirts - your call as to whether they're all white, all French blue, or a mix. Depending on weather, I'd also pack a merino v-neck sweater in camel or gray. That should still leave plenty of room for your underwear, some workout gear, and a good Dopp kit, within carry-on dimensions.

Rolling garment bag is a great call, but if you're stuck with a regular carry-on, then roll your pants and shirts rather than packing them folded-- rolling will make it less likely that your clothes crease where you don't want them to. Here's how to pack your suit if a garment bag isn't an option: http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Lobby General Discussion topic #13265820 Previous topic | Next topic