Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13265301

Subject: "By 2050, one in every four humans will be African" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41496 posts
Sun Jun-10-18 08:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"By 2050, one in every four humans will be African"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2018/06/09/the-future-is-african-and-the-united-states-is-not-prepared/?utm_term=.4006e2efb68b

The future is African — and the United States is not prepared
By Salih Booker and Ari Rickman
June 6

Beginning in 2035, the number of young people reaching working age in Africa will exceed that of the rest of the world combined, and will continue every year for the rest of the century. By 2050, one in every four humans will be African. At the end of the century, nearly 40 percent of the world’s population will be African. Yet, instead of preparing to build a relationship that can grow with the continent, based upon diplomatic cooperation, the United States is doubling down on more than a decade of reliance on its military as the primary vehicle of engaging with Africa. The consequences, as one might expect, are overwhelmingly negative.

The impending demographic dividend will only add to Africa’s economic importance. Since 2000, at least half of the countries in the world with the highest annual growth rate have been in Africa. By 2030, 43 percent of all Africans are projected to join the ranks of the global middle and upper classes. By that same year, household consumption in Africa is expected to reach $2.5 trillion, more than double the $1.1 trillion of 2015, and combined consumer and business spending will total $6.7 trillion.

Africa’s rapid change also presents challenges that will not be contained within the continent. Indeed, the persistently high absolute number of people in poverty, the underdevelopment of infrastructure, ongoing conflicts, and continuing problems with democratic governance are already combining to make Africa the world’s largest source of emigrants.

Many other countries have taken note of both the potential and the challenges in Africa’s anticipated transformation, and have mostly decided to increase their engagement. Plenty has been written about China’s growing presence, and the European Union has also been deepening its links to the continent. But there is also a growing list of other countries pursuing stronger ties — including India, Brazil, Turkey, Japan, and the Gulf states.

In contrast, the United States’ relationship with the continent has, since 9/11, been increasingly defined by the militarization of U.S. foreign policy. In 2003, the George W. Bush administration established the first permanent U.S. base on the continent in Djibouti. In 2007, the U.S. Africa Command was created.

The Barack Obama administration solidified this policy approach by increasing military spending and deploying more troops. President Trump is following the lead of his predecessors; over the past year, the number of U.S. forces in Africa has increased by nearly 1,500, bringing the total to around 7,500, not including Special Operations forces. The United States now has 34 status of forces agreements (or similar treaties) with African countries — 14 of which were signed or upgraded in the last decade. U.S. Special Operations forces are also often deployed in countries without such agreements. In 2017 alone, U.S. troops were deployed to 50 out of Africa’s 54 countries, many on clandestine missions.

This growing military presence is displacing diplomacy. Military advisers outnumber diplomats in embassies across the continent. Career diplomats who focus on Africa are often ignored in favor of military commanders. And at least one senior State Department official has estimated that there are seven military employees for every civilian diplomat working on U.S. policy toward Africa.

It should come as no surprise then that the aggressive U.S. military presence has done little to strengthen U.S.-Africa ties. Protests against bases and troop deployments have taken place in Ghana, Niger, Cameroon, Liberia and several other countries. U.S. Africa Command is actually headquartered in Germany, largely because no African country wants to host it. The unease with American militarism is likely only to grow — particularly as countries become less dependent on U.S. aid, and as certain U.S. military missions potentially provoke an increase in violent extremism.

It should be equally obvious that the military can’t be the foundation of U.S. relations with a rising Africa. The Pentagon may be able to provide weapons, training and vehicles to African militaries, but it can’t offer trade deals, infrastructure projects or advice on agriculture. The U.S. military may attempt, with varying levels of success, to professionalize African militaries, but it can’t work with civilian governments, political parties or social movements to promote democracy and human rights. Indeed, Washington’s obsessive counterterrorism focus in Africa has little positive to show for its efforts, and actually risks increasing human-rights violations by African governments adept at using force against their civilian opponents.

Simply put, the U.S. military is attempting to prepare African countries to fight an enemy they actually may not have (or at least not to the extent that Washington imagines), while the U.S. government is failing to help those same countries deal with the real killers — namely, poverty and corruption.

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
isn't the world already 100% African?
Jun 11th 2018
It'll be extra litty since 44 countries just signed on to form a trade
Jun 11th 2018
I just want to know if they're giving it all away to China or not
Jun 11th 2018
Questions, though: The US barely engages or includes its own
Jun 11th 2018
One last thing, too... I think all the power projection is re: uranium.
Jun 11th 2018
my roommate in college was Liberian
Jun 11th 2018
True..
Jun 12th 2018
US biz def cares abt losing those markets
Jun 11th 2018
      Definitely get where you're coming from lol.
Jun 12th 2018
           1% of 100B =
Jun 12th 2018
Man, I'm gonna be old-as-hell by then
Jun 11th 2018

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 05:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "isn't the world already 100% African?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-11-18 05:38 AM by imcvspl

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 05:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It'll be extra litty since 44 countries just signed on to form a trade"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-11-18 05:54 AM by kfine

bloc, too. The AfCFTA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Continental_Free_Trade_Area

which barely made western media outlets, of course.

(I suppose "African countries are shitholes" makes a better headline than "Countries across Africa sign largest trade agreement in the history of WTO")

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I just want to know if they're giving it all away to China or not"
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

kfine
2218 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 06:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Questions, though: The US barely engages or includes its own"
In response to Reply # 0

black citizens, what is so surprising about its weak diplomatic ties with Africans?

Plus, the US has its own crumbling infrastructure to tend to. Common problems in African states are what..

*corrupt federal/state/local governments? - US has this too

*shady procurement practices and mismanagement of public funds? - US has this too

*weak election integrity? - US has this too

*illicit financial flows and tax evasion driven by plutocrats and poor accountability? - US has this too

*healthcare system inefficiencies and insufficiencies so severe that service to/coverage of citizens is compromised? - US has this too

*water and sanitation issues? - US has this too

*unequal access to education? - US has this too

*Housing issues? - US has this too

*inter-ethnic tensions? - US has this too

Soo.. not counting ODA and arms trade, what benefits or expertise would US even bring to Africa's table??? The things Africans like about the US are all abroad.. its goods, its services, its universities, and (to some, only marginally better) QOL.

kfine
2218 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 07:26 AM

4. "One last thing, too... I think all the power projection is re: uranium."
In response to Reply # 0

Think about it. Post WWII, America's foreign relations playbook isn't all that hard to figure out.. It usually either:

-agrees or disagrees to make self-interested concessions to other states/blocs that hold "shared values"

-beats its chest and threatens/levies economic sanctions to manipulate states that lack "shared values"

-beats its chest and overtly/covertly aids leadership transformation in states that lack "shared values" and become hostile

-does any or all of the above to secure/control access to one or more resources of interest, regardless of the target states' values.

But we know the US doesn't care about access to/dominance in African markets, and doesn't like China flooding it's own market with cheap finished goods. Ok, fine. China's found a new market for its cheap finished goods and is building infrastructure to facilitate the trade.

One would think the US loses no sleep over this.. It's unlikely to lose its African consumers (that it doesn't care about) over cheap Chinese goods, and it puts in zero effort to attract those African dollars in the first place. Furthermore, China doesn't have that neo-con--moral authority--"arbiter of democracy" complex the US has and could care less about imposing demands related to governance/culture (that could antagonize US) as conditions for its assistance.

So...why all the troops???????

My best guess... of Africa's many resources, the US is more fearful of an increasingly powerful China (and it's allies) having so much access/control over some of those resources more than others. eg. Niger's largest deposits in the world of uranium.

But I'm more of a nerd on this stuff than an expert... curious to read others' thoughts..

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 12:21 PM

7. "my roommate in college was Liberian"
In response to Reply # 4

and when they told me about the rubber trees and how Goodyear and other companies came in, got what they needed then bounced...

it opened my eyes to how much influence these companies have over our military moves.

Our troops our over there to protect our interest.. or our companies interest in Africa's resources.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kfine
2218 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 12:48 AM

10. "True.."
In response to Reply # 7

But over 1%-2% of imports though??

Just seems like a lot of trouble to through for such small trade volume.

I personally think the geopolitical risk must at least be a motivating factor.

but I can see where you guys are coming from too..

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "US biz def cares abt losing those markets"
In response to Reply # 4

every other year there is a "trade war" with a new handful of african countries pushing to stop accepting 2nd hand american clothes, or some other trash goods (that kills their homegrown industries) ... and then america threatens to stop importing or to raise tariffs on whatever goods are imported from that country. and the economies are so out of wack that the african countries (or haiti or whoever) eventually cave in.

that is how some goofball company in nebraska becomes a multi-million dollar business doing uneven trade with africa, with the US Govt having its back

at a national level, US just cares about feeding the military beast. and without any active wars, they gotta do something to keep the train moving. so troops get deployed in niger and mali and djibouti and anywhere else that keeps the defense budget up

the angle of the main article imo is just that a whole nother paradigm is building up in africa, while america been asleep at the wheel since the 90's

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

kfine
2218 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 12:43 AM

9. "Definitely get where you're coming from lol."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Jun-12-18 12:44 AM by kfine

>every other year there is a "trade war" with a new handful of
>african countries pushing to stop accepting 2nd hand american
>clothes, or some other trash goods (that kills their homegrown
>industries) ... and then america threatens to stop importing
>or to raise tariffs on whatever goods are imported from that
>country. and the economies are so out of wack that the
>african countries (or haiti or whoever) eventually cave in.
>
>that is how some goofball company in nebraska becomes a
>multi-million dollar business doing uneven trade with africa,
>with the US Govt having its back
>

Interesting points!

Though, you just made me look up some stuff... and I see that US foreign direct investment in Africa accounted for only 1% of its total foreign direct investment in the world (in 2012); exports to Africa accounted for only 2% of the exports US sold worldwide that year as well:
https://www.brookings.edu/research/transforming-the-u-s-africa-commercial-relationship/

(Old numbers, yes, but I'm far too lazy right now)

I dont' think that invalidates what you're saying, but I could see such small percentages being prioritized a little less compared to more lucrative trade relationships the US has going...

>at a national level, US just cares about feeding the military
>beast. and without any active wars, they gotta do something
>to keep the train moving. so troops get deployed in niger and
>mali and djibouti and anywhere else that keeps the defense
>budget up
>

true true

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 02:46 PM

11. "1% of 100B = "
In response to Reply # 9

more than enough to get a few senators to pass laws in your favor

and is bigger than some countries' entire economy

https://qz.com/1245015/trump-trade-war-us-suspends-rwanda-agoa-eligibility-over-secondhand-clothes-ban/

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Mon Jun-11-18 08:42 AM

5. "Man, I'm gonna be old-as-hell by then"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-11-18 08:43 AM by flipnile

;)

Lobby General Discussion topic #13265301 Previous topic | Next topic