Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13262330

Subject: "Debra Lee Steppin Down as Chairwoman n CEO of BET Networks" Previous topic | Next topic
_explain555
Member since Oct 15th 2009
1412 posts
Thu May-31-18 09:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Debra Lee Steppin Down as Chairwoman n CEO of BET Networks"

bout time for some new vision yo

https://www.bet.com/news/national/2018/05/25/bet-networks-debra-lee.html

BET Networks is preparing to bid farewell to an icon. After 32 years with the company, Debra Lee has announced today that she will step down from her position as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer effective May 28.

“In 1986 I joined BET Networks to be its very first Vice President & General Counsel. As a young corporate attorney I saw my role as the protector of the BET brand and its employees and today, more than 32 years later, I still see myself as the protector and defender of a brand that I have helped to grow as a top destination for audiences across the globe. I have called BET Networks home for over three decades and this team is part of my extended family,“ Ms. Lee says in a statement to BET staff and executives. “I could not be prouder of the enormous amount of talent and creativity at BET Networks today and I will always be BET’s number one fan."

Adds Bob Bakish, President and CEO of Viacom, BET's parent company, “Debra’s vision and creativity has cemented BET Networks as a premiere network for African Americans and lovers of Black culture. As BET continues to move forward, we will always be grateful to Debra for her leadership and commitment to creating top-notch entertainment that both entertains and empowers. Her passion for the BET brand has resulted in countless wins and has allowed BET to stay competitive in a growing media landscape.”

He continues, "While we will all miss Debra tremendously, we respect her decision and understand her desire to leave at the very top of the game with a legacy of significant contributions that spans decades. I have seen first-hand how the network has grown under her direction, and I know that she will bring that same innovative thinking and strategic vision to her future pursuits. Debra has groomed an amazing group of senior executives, and I am confident that BET Networks will continue to flourish under their leadership.”

Over the past three decades, Ms. Lee's name has become synonymous with BET's growth as one of the most impactful brands in the media landscape reflecting the Black experience in meaningful and multifaceted ways. Under her leadership, the network has enjoyed record-breaking success, including the 2014 series premiere of The Game, the most-watched sitcom premiere in cable TV history with 7.68 million viewers, and the 2017 hit mini-series The New Edition Story, which brought in 28.4 million viewers from the initial run through subsequent encores, making it the highest-rated TV biopic of all time. On Lee’s watch she oversaw the launch of the network’s website, BET.com, developed BET Her, the first network for African-American women, and acquired television rights to BLACK GIRLS ROCK! Lee also launched Leading Women Defined, an annual conference where notable African American women, including Former First Lady Michelle Obama, Venus Williams, Issa Rae and Erykah Badu, to name a few, gathered each year for insightful debates and conversations on issues that impact their community and families. Additionally, she championed BET’s breast cancer campaign “BET Goes Pink,” the education platform “BET Next Level,” award-winning voting campaign “BET Vote Your Voice” and several telethons for Florida, Haiti and Katrina under the “SOS: Saving OurSelves” initiative.

Following her departure from BET Networks, Ms. Lee plans to stay involved in the media industry and continue her role on corporate and non-profit boards. In addition, she also plans to continue her commitment to diversity and inclusion by advancing the rights of women and girls as well as people of color through her work with Times Up and The Recording Academy Diversity & Inclusion Task Force, to name a few. She will be missed by her colleagues, staff and the countless people whose lives have been touched by her leadership and vision.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
twitter already cummin wit da good ideas
May 31st 2018
Bet already did some of that. Ppl ain't watch
Jun 03rd 2018
      So viewers should just be satisfied with nothing, as the alternative?
Jun 08th 2018
she better take that Baby Boy master reel with her
Jun 01st 2018
Once BET left D.C. for good, she put her home on the market...
Jun 01st 2018
I love when dumb ass mega mansions sit unsold.
Jun 03rd 2018
shit looks sterile and lonely
Jun 08th 2018
good and I hope she took Stephen Hill with her
Jun 03rd 2018
he's been gone
Jun 04th 2018
did anybody care though?
Jun 03rd 2018

_explain555
Member since Oct 15th 2009
1412 posts
Thu May-31-18 09:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "twitter already cummin wit da good ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/ervnnnn/status/999751952295743488

@ervnnnn
Somebody get in there and shake shit up. I want cooking shows, home improvement, action, drama, comedy, a separate BET Kids channel. We need variety. Not baby boy on repeat 24/7

matta fact, who finna take over?

mona scott young?

van jones?

obama?

lol

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Sun Jun-03-18 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Bet already did some of that. Ppl ain't watch"
In response to Reply # 1

Or didn't like em
or just like to dis bet

They did the News satire show, cop/detective show, hbcu show, game show... nobody watching em

Only jawns ppl talked about were gabrielle union show and Kevin hart show

But anyway after Hill left right at the bet awards, she shoulda known the clock was ticking

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "So viewers should just be satisfied with nothing, as the alternative?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Jun-08-18 12:56 PM by Cam

Podcasts, Instagram, Black Twitter, Youtube and the rest of the internet is full of popular content of all varieties, created by Black folk. There's almost an endless stream of content to pick from, and fund to be reformatted for television.

HGTV shows a more diverse view of Black folk.
Look at Desus&Mero or any of the variety of shows, on what used to be the H2 Channel, and how successful Viceland has since become.

Instead of continuing to be the failing Black version MTV, why not be innovative, and diverse, and appeal to Black folk in a non-monolithic way?

Imagine original programming made with and by black folk. Shows about...
Travel - This woman sailing the world https://youtu.be/Cje05c5OijE
Home Improvement - This Philadelphian flipping homes https://www.instagram.com/bigbizzneesss/?hl=en
Auto Enthusiasts - This guy rebuilding Teslas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptvOUXBkdY
Actual News - Black Twitter https://twitter.com/search?q=%23blacktwitter
Food - These Nutritionists https://soundcloud.com/food-heaven-podcast
Film Criticism - These film school classmates turned award winning film pros https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/back-of-the-theater-podcast/id810683873?mt=2
etc...

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Fri Jun-01-18 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "she better take that Baby Boy master reel with her"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Jun-01-18 02:12 PM

3. "Once BET left D.C. for good, she put her home on the market..."
In response to Reply # 0

Apparently it's still D.C.'s most expensive property currently on the market (for over a year) even after price drops of several million.
https://www.estately.com/listings/info/2815-woodland-drive-nw--2

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Jun-03-18 05:49 PM

5. "I love when dumb ass mega mansions sit unsold. "
In response to Reply # 3

Like, dummy, you could have had a regular giant ass house, but you had to be extra.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79493 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 12:52 PM

10. "shit looks sterile and lonely"
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Jun-03-18 07:48 PM

6. "good and I hope she took Stephen Hill with her"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 10:08 AM

8. "he's been gone"
In response to Reply # 6

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Jun-03-18 08:33 PM

7. "did anybody care though?"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean it just ain't been the same since

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby General Discussion topic #13262330 Previous topic | Next topic