Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13258906

Subject: "Blue Lies Matter - Louis Scarcella" Previous topic | Next topic
bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
13131 posts
Thu May-17-18 11:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blue Lies Matter - Louis Scarcella"
Thu May-17-18 11:15 AM by bentagain

Caught this headline on the wakeup

"A man who was wrongly convicted of murder when he was 14 clears his name after 27 long years"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/us/ny-wrongly-convicted-man-exonerated-trnd/index.html

Which lead me to police officer Louis Scarcella

As of this time last year...7 convictions had been exonerated based on his handy work...

"Despite 7 Scrapped Convictions, Prosecutors Say Ex-Detective Broke No Laws"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/nyregion/louis-scarcella-murder-dismissals.html

...which I think is up to 9 currently...

and how does the NYPD rectify the misconduct...by celebrating of course

"Polarizing Former New York Detective Will Be Honored by His Peers"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/nyregion/louis-scarcella-nypd.html

"Mr. Scarcella’s legal problems started in 2013, during an election season, when Charles J. Hynes, who was then Brooklyn’s district attorney, was under pressure from a challenger, Ken Thompson, to address the way his office had handled wrongful convictions.

Mr. Hynes eventually helped to overturn the guilty verdict of David Ranta, partly blaming Mr. Scarcella for botching the murder case. When Mr. Thompson became the district attorney in 2014, he began a broad investigation — still ongoing — of what was ultimately more than 70 of Mr. Scarcella’s old cases. So far, prosecutors have reversed the convictions in eight of those cases, and judges have overturned another few, but the district attorney’s office has repeatedly maintained that Mr. Scarcella has not committed any punishable conduct or broken the law.

Throughout this process, Mr. Scarcella has gotten death threats, and on two or three occasions has been confronted by would-be assailants at his local grocery store. In his retirement, he tried to start a commercial diving business, but it failed. These days, he largely takes care of his six grandchildren and refers to himself in his Brooklyn-accented French as an “au pair.”

He said he was moved when Mr. Wilde called a few weeks ago to say that the retired detectives association was honoring him. “It hit me very positively,” Mr. Scarcella said. “I got a little emotional.”

While the Police Department declined to comment on the event, Ronald Kuby, a lawyer who has represented a number of people who claim that Mr. Scarcella framed them, said that the event would not reflect well on the former lawmen who planned to attend.

“For those who think Scarcella was merely one bad apple,” Mr. Kuby said, “all you have to do is look at the barrel of detectives who will be there to honor him to realize there is systemic rot.”

So when somebody says...not all cops are bad cops...let them know about Louis Scarcella.

Blue Lies Matter

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they really love honoring ain't shit police
May 17th 2018
Great example of the system working as its racist creators intended
May 17th 2018
That's one part of 'Making a Murderer' that got overlooked IMO
May 17th 2018
by the way... awesome thread title
May 18th 2018
true indeed. nm
May 18th 2018
In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Kenneth Boudreau
May 23rd 2018
Why is Illinois so racist? What is it about that state?
Jun 12th 2018
      Chicago specifically = Polish immigrants
Jun 13th 2018
In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Philip Brailsford
Jun 12th 2018
In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Michael Rosfeld
Jun 26th 2018
f12
Aug 30th 2018
In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Roy Oliver
Aug 29th 2018
man, my jaw dropped when i saw he was convicted of murder.
Aug 29th 2018
      15 years
Aug 30th 2018
Yo- good on you for this post. This is worth maintaining
Aug 29th 2018
Yup.
Aug 29th 2018
one the craziest blue lies matter stories ever: Long Shot on Netflix.
Aug 29th 2018
What the fuuuuuuck that was wild.
Aug 29th 2018
      dude got UNBELIEVABLY lucky.
Aug 30th 2018
           Totally. My jaw hit the floor when the twist was revealed.
Aug 30th 2018
The streets should handle this
Aug 30th 2018
In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Ryan Pownall
Sep 19th 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
57534 posts
Thu May-17-18 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they really love honoring ain't shit police"
In response to Reply # 0

shut up already, damn

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
11387 posts
Thu May-17-18 11:34 AM

2. "Great example of the system working as its racist creators intended"
In response to Reply # 0

Horrible what they put that man (John Bunn) through, and they obviously feel zero shame for it. In fact, they celebrate not only the officer responsible but the very fact that they abuse and kill those niggras. Just think of all the other Black folks going through this same thing... and the ones who don't get exonerated... the ones who do but still can't live "normal" lives. Sickening.

~
~
~
~
~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtNhsGgEk54
Everything's turning out perfectly

bentagain
13131 posts
Thu May-17-18 11:48 AM

3. "That's one part of 'Making a Murderer' that got overlooked IMO"
In response to Reply # 2

The Innocence Project

https://www.innocenceproject.org/

"The Innocence Project, founded in 1992 by Peter Neufeld and Barry Scheck at Cardozo School of Law, exonerates the wrongly convicted through DNA testing and reforms the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice."

it was presented through the context of a wrongful conviction of a yt male...but of course, knowing the disproportionate number of black prisoners...it's not a leap to assume the overwhelming number of wrongful convictions were of black citizens.

"To date, 356 people in the United States have been exonerated by DNA testing, including 20 who served time on death row."

It would be interesting to know if any LEOs were held responsible

legsdiamond
57534 posts
Fri May-18-18 08:11 AM

4. "by the way... awesome thread title "
In response to Reply # 0

shut up already, damn

poetx
Charter member
57819 posts
Fri May-18-18 07:36 PM

5. "true indeed. nm"
In response to Reply # 4

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

bentagain
13131 posts
Wed May-23-18 03:15 PM

6. "In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Kenneth Boudreau"
In response to Reply # 0

So I was reading this ESPN article 'Grounds for Return'

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23473957/chicago-white-sox-grounds-crew-member-nevest-coleman-journey-freedom

which is just a horrific tale and I would strongly recommend NOT reading it...

same m.o., black man exonerated of a crime on DNA/forensic evidence

did about 23 years

That lead me to detective Kenneth Boudreau

"Of the 227 prisoners who have been exonerated after false confessions in the United States since 1989, 84 are from Illinois. New York is second with 39, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

Law firms such as Loevy & Loevy insist a pressure to solve cases and rampant police misconduct have led to a litany of coerced confessions. The police point the finger right back, asserting it's the law firms' thirsty pursuit of big-money settlements that prompts the accused to exaggerate or even fabricate tales of coercion in hopes that doing so could lead to freedom.

In a six-part series titled "Cops and Confessions" in 2001 and '02, the Chicago Tribune highlighted more than a dozen murder cases in which Boudreau reportedly obtained confessions but then either charges were dropped or the defendant was found not guilty. Boudreau insists he has never threatened, struck or violated the constitutional rights of anyone, including Coleman. "Absolutely not," he says.

Link to Chicago Tribune series;
http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-011217confessions-gallery-storygallery.html

Specific report on Boudreau;
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/chi-011217confession-story.html

So when somebody says...not all cops are bad cops...let them know about Kenneth Boudreau.

Blue Lies Matter

legsdiamond
57534 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 09:15 PM

8. "Why is Illinois so racist? What is it about that state? "
In response to Reply # 6

I’ve heard more than a few folks speak on that place and it wasn’t good

shut up already, damn

bentagain
13131 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 10:57 AM

9. "Chicago specifically = Polish immigrants "
In response to Reply # 8

First thing I can think of that is endemic to Chicago is the large polish population

I don't know enough about Poland's history to say for sure

But that's where I'd start

I imagine it's the same as other major cities

Immigrant communities saw blacks migrating north as a threat for resources

So they were targeted

I'd also imagine there is a white supremacist presence on CPD

bentagain
13131 posts
Tue Jun-12-18 06:46 PM

7. "In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Philip Brailsford"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-12-18 06:47 PM by bentagain

I was listening to my news feed a couple of weeks ago...when another officer involved shooting in Mesa AZ came across the report

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-johnson-beaten-mesa-arizona-police-department-speaks-out-today-2018-06-07/

Some may remember the incident in Mesa a few years ago where a man was murdered in a hotel hallway while complying with orders to kneel and crawl

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa/2018/03/08/mesa-police-confirm-justice-department-investigating-shooting-officer/409331002/

That lead me to officer Philip Brailsford

Turns out...dude had a history of transgressions, which if acted upon, could have potentially stopped the murder from happening in the first place

http://www.newsweek.com/cop-who-killed-daniel-shaver-had-history-excessive-force-video-shows-746683

+1 This guys dad, also named Philip Brailsford, was a lieutenant in the Mesa PD's Internal Affairs Unit

So when somebody says...not all cops are bad cops...let them know about Philip Brailsford.

Blue Lies Matter

bentagain
13131 posts
Tue Jun-26-18 11:28 AM

10. "In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Michael Rosfeld"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-26-18 11:30 AM by bentagain

Michael Rosfeld is the officer that shot an unarmed 17Y.O. in the back

https://abcnews.go.com/US/witness-recorded-teenager-shot-pittsburgh-cop-run/story?id=56111765

Antwon Rose...say his name

It was reported that this was officer Rosfeld's first day on the job having been sworn in hours earlier

Some had speculated in the original thread that he must have been fired from another agency

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2018/06/22/antwon-rose-officer-michael-rosfeld-east-pittsburgh-fatal-shooting-left-job-university-pittsburgh-discrepancies-evidence-sworn-statement/stories/201806220185

Those speculations were correct

Officer Rosfeld was fired from his capacity with the campus police when the statements in his affidavit for a criminal case did not match up with the evidence collected

Charges were dropped in that case

"Elizabeth Pittinger, executive director of the Citizen Police Review Board, said it’s not uncommon for officers who get into trouble at one department to leave and be re-hired at another department.

“That’s an age-old problem,” she said. “If they’re allowed to leave, there is no central repository why an officer left, so unless the former employer or the officer is honest, there is no way for new agencies to know the details of why the separation occurred.”"

What do you do when you can't cut it as a campus cop

Well join the city police department of course.

So when somebody says...not all cops are bad cops...let them know about Michael Rosfeld.

Blue Lies Matter

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
29885 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 01:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "f12"
In response to Reply # 10

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

bentagain
13131 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 07:54 AM

11. "In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Roy Oliver "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-29-18 07:55 AM by bentagain

Former police officer convicted of murder for shooting unarmed black teen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/former-police-officer-convicted-of-murder-for-shooting-unarmed-black-teen/2018/08/28/e5488fe6-aaf8-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html

We got a conviction, HOLE LEE $hit!
I'm going to wait until sentencing to break out the happy dance, but TX has only convicted 6 non-federal employees for murder, and 4 of those were overturned.
Since 2005 only 33 LEOs have been convicted of a crime in an officer involved shooting that resulted in death.
He's facing 5-99 years

The lies
No alcohol was found at the party
Tried to justify the shooting by saying the car Edwards was riding in was going to hit his partner...Edwards was a passenger

So the next time someone says all cops aren't bad cops...let them know about Roy Oliver

Blue Lies Matter

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
26735 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 09:44 AM

14. "man, my jaw dropped when i saw he was convicted of murder."
In response to Reply # 11

i didn't think i'd ever see that happen.

he'll probably get time served as his sentence or something.

bentagain
13131 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 05:53 AM

17. "15 years "
In response to Reply # 14

Still have appeals to exhaust

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
39963 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 08:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Yo- good on you for this post. This is worth maintaining "
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
15871 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 08:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Aug-29-18 08:26 AM by Brew

Feel like this needs to be mentioned, while we're here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2018/08/25/bucks-sterling-brown-tasing-milwaukee-attorney-denies-rights-violated/1100949002/

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

PROMO
Charter member
24590 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "one the craziest blue lies matter stories ever: Long Shot on Netflix. "
In response to Reply # 0

not even gonna start to explain the premise cuz i don't wanna spoil the "plot twist" that got the accused exonerated and the cops punished for their lies.

only about 45 mins, which is short for a documentary, but so good.

STAND OUT HAND OUTS: http://basquiatwhenipaint.tumblr.com

TWEET ME: @PROMO206

Brew
15871 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 10:21 PM

16. "What the fuuuuuuck that was wild."
In response to Reply # 15

Had it on my list for a while; finally watched tonite after seeing this post.

And wow. So many emotions watching that. Plot twist was CRAZY.

PROMO
Charter member
24590 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 10:40 AM

18. "dude got UNBELIEVABLY lucky."
In response to Reply # 16

they were about to have him in prison for life.

STAND OUT HAND OUTS: http://basquiatwhenipaint.tumblr.com

TWEET ME: @PROMO206

Brew
15871 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 10:44 AM

19. "Totally. My jaw hit the floor when the twist was revealed."
In response to Reply # 18

I mean by that point I knew it was coming to an extent but still, SEEING it was still a mouth agape WOW moment.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
70000 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 01:57 PM

21. "The streets should handle this"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

bentagain
13131 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 12:46 PM

22. "In this week's edition of Blue Lies Matter - Ryan Pownall"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-19-18 12:50 PM by bentagain

Some may remember...

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/09/07/david-jones-shooting-ryan-pownall/

...a philly dirt bike rider being shot in the back and killed last year...RIP David Jones

This incident popped back up on my radar, as the officer is actually being charged with murder...but the trial is slow to start

http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/crime/ryan-pownall-philadelphia-police-murder-hearing-larry-krasner-district-attorney-20180919.html

Compelling story on its own...and then I fall down this wormwhole

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news/infernal-affairs-philadelphia-police-identify-officers-named-in-hundreds-of/article_01dfa250-9bb5-11e8-88d5-3b5f52c93365.html

Officer Pownall had shot another suspect in the back while fleeing...7 years earlier

Officer Pownall is on a do not call list compiled by the DA's office...

http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/crime/29-philly-officers-do-not-call-list-krasner-20180306.html

...in an effort to keep them from testifying because of the allegations of misconduct

This is more information than I can siphon through in one post...there's alot of info here...I will try to follow up on a few of the officers named

but the next time someone says all cops aren't bad cops...let them know about Ryan Pownall (and the Philadelphia DA's office)

Lobby General Discussion topic #13258906 Previous topic | Next topic