Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13252994

Subject: "*NEW QUESTLOVE* "Creative Quest" (book)" Previous topic | Next topic
IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 08:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"*NEW QUESTLOVE* "Creative Quest" (book)"

Started listening to the audiobook today,
insightful (& funny) so far

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Quest-Questlove/dp/0062670557

"A unique new guide to creativity from Questlove—inspirations, stories, and lessons on how to live your best creative life

Questlove—musician, bandleader, designer, producer, culinary entrepreneur, professor, and all-around cultural omnivore—shares his wisdom on the topics of inspiration and originality in a one-of-a-kind guide to living your best creative life.

In Creative Quest, Questlove synthesizes all the creative philosophies, lessons, and stories he’s heard from the many creators and collaborators in his life, and reflects on his own experience, to advise readers and fans on how to consider creativity and where to find it. He addresses many topics—what it means to be creative, how to find a mentor and serve as an apprentice, the wisdom of maintaining a creative network, coping with critics and the foibles of success, and the specific pitfalls of contemporary culture—all in the service of guiding admirers who have followed his career and newcomers not yet acquainted with his story.

Whether discussing his own life or channeling the lessons he’s learned from forefathers such as George Clinton, collaborators like D’Angelo, or like-minded artists including Ava DuVernay, David Byrne, Björk, and others, Questlove speaks with the candor and enthusiasm that fans have come to expect. Creative Quest is many things—above all, a wise and wide-ranging conversation around the eternal mystery of creativity."

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This recent GD Questlove post is a swipe focused on the book
Apr 25th 2018
Copped
Apr 25th 2018
Any news about this book?
May 18th 2018
I loved it (listened to the audiobook) & without spoiling too much
May 20th 2018
      Thx for the review.
May 25th 2018

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 11:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This recent GD Questlove post is a swipe focused on the book"
In response to Reply # 0

here are some excerpts (for those who missed it....yeah):

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13251994&mesg_id=13251994&page=2

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/last-word-questlove-on-prince-dave-chappelle-life-advice-w519207

The Last Word: Questlove on Why He Doesn't Drink, Idolizing Dave Chappelle

Roots drummer and 'Tonight Show' bandleader also talks impostor syndrome, Prince's genius, new book on creativity and being a "super-dweeb"

By Jason Newman

"I still don't know if I am truly creative," writes Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson in the introduction to Creative Quest, his new book exploring what it means to be a creator. "At times I feel like I'm a way better student than I am teacher or maker." Despite winning three Grammys with the Roots and counting author, DJ, designer, producer and culinary businessman among his varied pursuits, music's most affable multihyphenate writes with a deep humility and constant curiosity toward the mindsets of those he admires.

Backstage after a Tonight Show taping, Thompson explains why he wanted to write a book blending his own history of artist collaborations with advice on how to generate ideas, how to deal with failure and how technology has affected the creative process. "I'm asked all the time, 'What advice would you give?' And I hate doing that whole, 'Just stick to your dreams, da-da-da-da-da,'" he tells Rolling Stone, sounding more animated than annoyed. "It's a self-help book for music and art heads."

Part manual, part manifesto, part music-nerd history, part textbook – "I would like this to be a gift that parents give their college students," he says – the book is an indispensable resource for anyone looking to understand the impulse, psychology and spark behind creative ideas.

Who are your heroes?

My dad (doo-wop singer Lee Andrews) taught me everything I know about the music business. But if you're talking about who I look to and worship in my daily life, the Father is Don Cornelius, the Son is Prince and the Holy Ghost is Michael Jackson. The first thing I do every morning is watch an episode of Soul Train. Why? I don't know. Because I can. There's always some Prince surprise around the corner. And the last three interviews on my podcast are heavily Jackson-related.

What's the best advice you've ever received?

(Drummer) Bernard Purdie was doing a session for my father in 1975. Dad said, "Bernard, tell my son how you keep food on the table," and he says, "The two and the four." I didn't understand the jargon then, but I know it now. Which is why whenever parents make me meet their four-year-old and the (kid's) looking at me like, "Who the hell are you?" I just say, "You're not going to get this now, but trust me, you'll understand this 20 years from now."

My dad was always a rigorous, bandleading disciplinarian when it came to keeping it in the pocket. That stuck with me. In some ways I've become my dad, especially with the Roots. All of our arguments have to do with numbers. Also, my dad always said, "Son, remember: They can't get you if they can't put anything in you." That's probably the reason I don't drink. I think he had these fears of me partying at a bar and picking up a random person.

What advice would you give to a teenage Questlove?

If the Questlove Jacob Marley figure could go back in time and tell 19-year-old me that you were about to face the hardest 25-year fight of your life, would he still stay in the race? It's like, "I got good news and I got weird news. The good news is you guys are going to be in the industry. You're going to make it. The weird news is that you'll probably be closer to 50 before you get the moment where you can just be like (exhales)."

(Over the years) I had panic attacks over (other people getting) undeserved Rolling Stone covers. I remember, "How the fuck they get five mics (in the Source)?" I threw tantrums; I threw glasses. Many times, I quit. But there was always the hope that one day you were going to make it. I jumped in the river and there's piranhas and sharks, but as far as I'm concerned, I have a 500-foot lead on them.

Why did you want to include a chapter in your book about how to deal with failure?

There have been a lot of pie-in-the-face moments. "Oh, you're Questlove and you're an icon and everyone loves you." But I cry over record reviews and have done horrible projects. It's important to let people know.

I was a little dismayed once Will Smith joined Instagram (laughs). I have this failure thing on lockdown (claps). I'm going to be the first person to be like, "Yes, you must fail!" And then Will Smith came with, "Failure is great," and I was like, "Ah, fuck!"

Do you ever get impostor syndrome?

Every day of my life. I was trying to explain to my girlfriend recently: "Look. You know how you look at me as this dweeby nerd that gets on your nerves? You do acknowledge that there are some people on this Earth that hold me in a higher superman regard, but you're stuck with Clark Kent." A lot of us are afraid that we'll get found out as normal. The reason why bodyguards and velvet ropes really exist is mainly because a lot of celebrities don't want you to know how normal and regular they are.

After Things Fall Apart came out and this whole new world opened, there were still questions to answer, like, "Ahmir, why are you still driving that Scion?" I was on a date last year and the girl looked at me like I disrespected her. She's like, "You're driving a Kia Soul? Why?" I was like, "Well, it's boxy, but it's also Afro-friendly and my hair won't be flat when I get out the car. You do know about me, right? You know I do regular guy shit like shopping at Ralph's at three in the morning."

When I interviewed the Revolution, to hear that Prince was doing his laundry and making sandwiches while making "When You Were Mine" in his house. ... He's literally recording a life-changing record and running upstairs (to finish laundry). I would rather kill all expectations and let you know from the get that I'm a super-dweeb.

What are the most important rules to live by?

Get out of your own head. When I write about that, I'm trying to explain being in the alpha state where you do things so naturally that you don't overthink it. Some people over-prepare stuff and overthink things; some people don't do their homework and just wing it and are under-prepared. But there's that middle place where it's so natural to you that you just don't think about it.

I know I'm coming off like that weird guy that I used to always roll my eyes at whenever I saw people talking about metaphysics and now I've become that person. But my peers overthink shit and call me at four in the morning, like, "I can't!" Panic is just people's default. They don't trust the Force. I'm dismayed that U2's "Get Out of Your Own Way" didn't hit bigger.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Copped"
In response to Reply # 0

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri May-18-18 11:46 PM

3. "Any news about this book?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm going to cop regardless but I just want to get a better sense of the finished product.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Sun May-20-18 01:50 PM

4. "I loved it (listened to the audiobook) & without spoiling too much"
In response to Reply # 3

Lots of (new) insights on the creative process of Voodoo, Things Fall Apart, working with Dilla, Jay, ...

But really a must-read/listen if you have/had any affinity with the above.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri May-25-18 01:52 AM

5. "Thx for the review. "
In response to Reply # 4

This book seems right up my alley.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Lobby General Discussion topic #13252994 Previous topic | Next topic