Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13252692

Subject: "Would you take your 14 year-old daughter to Coachella?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Would you take your 14 year-old daughter to Coachella?"

Someone I know took her 14 year-old daughter(who doesn't look 14) to Coachella and is on FB complaining that guys were offering her weed(probably offered her more than that), and people pushed her daughter out of the way to get the stage and she almost had to fight and complaining about other random stuff that usually happens and an outdoor music festival and I'm thinking "WTF did you expect? If you wanted a kid-friendly environment you should've went to to Disneyland instead..."

Poll result (17 votes)
hell naw (8 votes)Vote
sure why not? (8 votes)Vote
I'm white (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how would it be different than any other concert?
Apr 24th 2018
its different from something like One Direction or some shit where...
Apr 24th 2018
i'd consider One Direction as kid-centric
Apr 24th 2018
      RE: i'd consider One Direction as kid-centric
Apr 24th 2018
      the cardi's and Nicki's
Apr 24th 2018
           sadly - i think u right
Apr 24th 2018
14 year old at college homecoming sounds like a bad idea
Apr 24th 2018
      you should have seen her
Apr 24th 2018
           unless you taking her to the game and right back home.. hell nah
Apr 24th 2018
                game?
Apr 24th 2018
I wouldn't but not bcause of other folks.
Apr 24th 2018
I know it's different for boys, but...
Apr 24th 2018
      I'll probably do something like that.
Apr 24th 2018
      right its definitely different with boys
Apr 24th 2018
hell yes.
Apr 24th 2018
Yeah. Parental supervision heavy of course
Apr 24th 2018
yeah. seems fun. educational too.
Apr 24th 2018
Probably not a festival, but I'd take my girls to concerts
Apr 24th 2018
I wouldn't take myself to coachella so
Apr 24th 2018
HELL YEAH.
Apr 24th 2018
As a "Scared Straight" maybe
Apr 24th 2018
damn.. I'm ashamed I laughed but it's because it was spot on
Apr 24th 2018
I would...of course...
Apr 24th 2018
I'd be worried about my own behaviour
Apr 24th 2018
everything about this story is funny
Apr 24th 2018
exactly, wth were you thinking lol...
Apr 24th 2018
Maybe, but I wouldn't complain about other people doing concert
Apr 24th 2018
Most of the attendees have the maturity level of a 14 year old
Apr 24th 2018
^^^^
Apr 24th 2018
If I'm old enough to HAVE a 14 year old
Apr 24th 2018
wrong spot
Apr 24th 2018
Plenty of old Mfs at coachella
Apr 24th 2018
I'm thinking of taking mine to the Summer Spirit Festival
Apr 24th 2018
LOL. It's Coachella not burning man
Apr 25th 2018
and even that...
Apr 25th 2018

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how would it be different than any other concert?"
In response to Reply # 0

nothing you describe couldn't/wouldn't take place at any non kid-specific concert

or maybe public event period

back in college my roommate had her younger cousin come up for homecoming (she was 14 y/o looking like she 22)

we had to beat dudes off her... many even after we told them she was only 14

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "its different from something like One Direction or some shit where..."
In response to Reply # 1

the majority of the audience is going to be teenage girls, I didn't really think Coachella is that, from what I hear its basically like a modern day Woodstock.

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "i'd consider One Direction as kid-centric"
In response to Reply # 6

teeny-bopper stuff

and even there (at that type of deal) you gotta watch for shadiness

(side thought... who do Black girls go to to fulfill their teeny-bopper needs that is Black-like-them? i can't think of any new edition, b2k, type group that exists now)

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:35 AM

12. "RE: i'd consider One Direction as kid-centric"
In response to Reply # 7

>teeny-bopper stuff
>
>and even there (at that type of deal) you gotta watch for
>shadiness
>
>(side thought... who do Black girls go to to fulfill their
>teeny-bopper needs that is Black-like-them? i can't think of
>any new edition, b2k, type group that exists now)

Actually I was wondering the same thing myself, One Direction was the only thing I could think of off that top of my head I need to check in with my 13 year-old niece to see what she's listening to lol

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "the cardi's and Nicki's"
In response to Reply # 7

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:15 PM

25. "sadly - i think u right"
In response to Reply # 24

sick.sad.world

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:20 AM

10. "14 year old at college homecoming sounds like a bad idea"
In response to Reply # 1

a really really really bad idea.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:43 AM

13. "you should have seen her"
In response to Reply # 10

it was a HORRIBLE idea

she wasn't my cousin though.. *shrug*

that said, go to any HBCU homecoming and look at how many teenagers are around

amongst all the shenanigans

legsdiamond
79607 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 01:05 PM

18. "unless you taking her to the game and right back home.. hell nah"
In response to Reply # 13

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:16 PM

26. "game?"
In response to Reply # 18

did you not see the letters: HBCU

what game?

lol

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I wouldn't but not bcause of other folks."
In response to Reply # 0

mainly cuz I'm don't want to parent while at a show. especially at a festival. festivals involve too much walking and I wanna think about where my kid my be.

My daughter will be 14 this week. I've been trying to figure out what kinda show I can take her to. she doesn't like hip hop. she's digs pop music.

shows are too expensive so she might have to just wait lol

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 12:47 PM

16. "I know it's different for boys, but..."
In response to Reply # 2

Recently, I started sending my 13 year-old to stuff like that without me. I make sure he's with friends, has his phone, and knows exactly where to be immediately after the event ends. I drop him and his friends at the venue, while I chill somewhere close by.

Like you said, tickets are expensive these days, and I got tired of paying full price to accompany him to stuff I have zero interest in.
I started last year, at a gaming convention, in a hotel convention center. I was about to pay the $50 admission for myself, and then it hit me. I pulled him and his boys aside and laid down a detailed set of instructions. They went in, and I chilled at a coffee shop, until they called me to pick them up.

It felt like a decent test of his independence and responsibility. He's been to a few events now and everything's gone off without a hitch.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:01 PM

23. "I'll probably do something like that."
In response to Reply # 16

cuz I really aint trying to see taylor swift in concert.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 04:38 PM

30. "right its definitely different with boys "
In response to Reply # 16

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:48 AM

3. "hell yes. "
In response to Reply # 0

in fact i dare say if she is going, im going too because i know how it goes at these events

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yeah. Parental supervision heavy of course"
In response to Reply # 0

like you said that shit is kinda business as usual for a festival...seems like they don’t go to shows themselves. Hell, I remember fearing for my life when a bunch of 14 year old girls mobbed a stage for an artist and knocked my 6’2 ass off my feet.

Some of my fav’ concert memories were from was when I was a teen so I wouldn’t deny em, that said i would def. keep an eye on her...only take her if i felt she could handle herself to a certain extent

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:57 AM

5. "yeah. seems fun. educational too."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:13 AM

8. "Probably not a festival, but I'd take my girls to concerts"
In response to Reply # 0

Not really a safety thing with me (I wish a mofo would!), I just can't do festivals (I'm an introvert). After a few hours, I need a break from people in my face, noise and lack of chill.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:15 AM

9. "I wouldn't take myself to coachella so"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:26 AM

11. "HELL YEAH. "
In response to Reply # 0

mane.

maybe its how I grew up but I remember being jealous of kids who went to shows

matter of fact back in the day lots of kids would go to KROQ weenie roasts, MJ concerts, all-a-dat

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:44 AM

14. "As a "Scared Straight" maybe"
In response to Reply # 0

Teen vogue's article from this year:
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/sexual-harassment-was-rampant-at-coachella-2018

"I interviewed 54 women at Coachella, and they all said they had been sexually harassed."

Also:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-life-music-festivals-sexual-assaults-0328-story.html

More than 500 respondents answered questions about harassment in the online survey taken between November and Dec. 11, 2017. The survey was broken down by gender: 379 females, 84 males and 57 nonbinary people. Harassment was defined as spoken violence and aggression to physical assault — including being drugged or being coerced into drinking.

For the 92 percent of females who said they had been harassed in music spaces, the incidents included experiences of spoken harassment, groping, sexual gestures, stalking, being yelled at and being photographed or videoed without permission. Thirty-one percent of male fans experienced both physical and nonphysical harassment, according to the survey, and 60 percent of transgender attendees reported physical homophobic or transphobic violence.

OurMusicMyBody tallied 1,286 instances of harassment from the respondents, who were encouraged to check multiple options to describe their experiences. Forty-seven percent of respondents experienced unsolicited comments about their body, 41 percent were groped and 45 percent were aggressively “hit on.”

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
79607 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 01:06 PM

19. "damn.. I'm ashamed I laughed but it's because it was spot on"
In response to Reply # 14

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 11:45 AM

15. "I would...of course..."
In response to Reply # 0

Some of my best memories growing up are going to concerts. My parents took me to see The Jacksons (Triumph Tour) and Prince (Controversy Tour), and after that, me and my homies went to all types of shows.

My 14 y.o is afraid of the festival "crowd" though. Tried to convince her to go to Shaky Knees so I could see my fave rock band (QOTSA), and so she could see her fave band (ALVVAYS), but she always replied "If we go to a festival, we're gonna die..its too many people", smh..

But yes, I sho hell would take the kid to one

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 01:04 PM

17. "I'd be worried about my own behaviour"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know if I could properly express myself. Daddy might want to ...oh... maybe do an edible...

When my son was in 6th grade we took him to see Outkast. We thought it would be a great first concert experience...WRONG!

I've never been so paranoid. While I would consider Outkast pretty tame, the opening acts; Future and 2Chainz ended up being more profane than I could have ever imagined. The weed smoke was THICK.

We actually ran into his principal there. She looked panic stricken when she saw we had our son with us (and possibly a little judgmental), because she was faded.

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:18 PM

27. "everything about this story is funny"
In response to Reply # 17

(mainly cuz it ain't me or mines)

sounds like a scene out of a movie

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 04:39 PM

31. "exactly, wth were you thinking lol..."
In response to Reply # 17

>I don't know if I could properly express myself. Daddy might
>want to ...oh... maybe do an edible...
>
>When my son was in 6th grade we took him to see Outkast. We
>thought it would be a great first concert experience...WRONG!
>
>I've never been so paranoid. While I would consider Outkast
>pretty tame, the opening acts; Future and 2Chainz ended up
>being more profane than I could have ever imagined. The weed
>smoke was THICK.
>
>We actually ran into his principal there. She looked panic
>stricken when she saw we had our son with us (and possibly a
>little judgmental), because she was faded.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 01:10 PM

20. "Maybe, but I wouldn't complain about other people doing concert"
In response to Reply # 0

shit at a concert.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 01:19 PM

21. "Most of the attendees have the maturity level of a 14 year old"
In response to Reply # 0

So why not

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:28 PM

33. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 21

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 02:34 PM

22. "If I'm old enough to HAVE a 14 year old "
In response to Reply # 0

I have no business at damn Coachella lol

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 04:25 PM

28. "wrong spot"
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Apr-24-18 04:26 PM by Pamalama

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:24 PM

32. "Plenty of old Mfs at coachella "
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Apr-24-18 10:27 PM by Madvillain 626

Esp if some old post-punk band is playing a reunion show. Devo, Gil-Scott heron, Pavement and sly stone played the year I went and there were plenty of middle aged folks and up

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 04:26 PM

29. "I'm thinking of taking mine to the Summer Spirit Festival"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.cdepresents.com/Spirit.html

The whole event looks proper, but we both love Anderson .Paak and Rapsody...She's only heard the clean version (can probably figure out the rest). However, weed will be in abundance and I can't have my kid coming home with a contact. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

As far as the language goes...hell, she's in the eighth grade. She's heard the same if not worse at school

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 01:21 PM

34. "LOL. It's Coachella not burning man"
In response to Reply # 0

They keep putting headliners like Gaga and Bey on the bill...I imagine that's the intent

What all do you think happens at Coachella?

You do know weed is legal here?

I've seen babies at festivals...

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 01:48 PM

35. "and even that..."
In response to Reply # 34

crazier more dangerous stuff is happening in the streets of major cities everyday... ish is safer than school.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13252692 Previous topic | Next topic