Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13252607

Subject: "Just watched "Come Sunday" on Netflix...." Previous topic | Next topic
Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 08:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Just watched "Come Sunday" on Netflix...."

It was really thought provoking and gave me some clarity on why I haven't been to church in a long time. Chiwetel was excellent as always and the supporting cast was great. I wasn't familiar with Carlton Pearson prior to this film so I looked him up. On the exterior he looks like a typical mega-church evangelist but his message is one that I can get with...

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
got in on my list
Apr 24th 2018
this is in my Netflix que
Apr 24th 2018
an equal mix for me. Got good memories & bad memories as well as...
Apr 24th 2018
      good observation
Apr 24th 2018
yes it was...
Apr 24th 2018
saw the first bits and pieces last night
Apr 28th 2018
enjoyed it as well.... always had a problem wth the saved ppl concept
Apr 28th 2018
This was a great movie.
Apr 30th 2018

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 08:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "got in on my list"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-24-18 08:45 AM by GROOVEPHI

gonna watch it after I finish Ozark.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 09:10 AM

2. "this is in my Netflix que"
In response to Reply # 0

one thing I will say about church.

I used to always say "the hypocrisy of the members" is what turned me off from church. A friend told me I was just bullshitting and making excuses because it's about your relationship with God while in the church and not all the people in it.

Not sure that's exactly true but I can't front. The real reason I don't go to church is because I used to go a LOT when I was a kid and I like sleeping in on Sundays.

I miss the family/community of church tho. When I think back growing up I knew so many people through the church and while they got on my nerves at times they were mostly good people.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 09:29 AM

3. "an equal mix for me. Got good memories & bad memories as well as..."
In response to Reply # 2

good & bad impressions of the whole "church crowd".

One thing that sticks with me though...is that a lot of the religious indoctrination I received growing up was heavily weighted in FEAR...not in LOVE. I've spent most of my adult live reprogramming my approach on living morally out of LOVE...not out of fear.

The few times I've attempted to revisit church...there was still this strong undertone of FEAR being the driving force behind things.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 09:57 AM

4. "good observation"
In response to Reply # 3

I remember one summer at football camp we had a mother of one of the kids who wanted to be a coach. She started talking about Revelations during practice and had us SHOOK.

First day I got home from football camp and heard a plane flying overhead I thought it was the beginning of the end.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 10:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yes it was..."
In response to Reply # 0

I was hoping that it would have gone further. Like. why he reached his conclusion about God saving everyone. However, I think the intent of the movie was just to point out the “misunderstanding”. It reminded me a lot of what the scriptures says about Christ...

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sat Apr-28-18 09:32 AM

6. "saw the first bits and pieces last night"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-28-18 09:32 AM by Crash Bandacoot

yoo....wtf is this? need to go back and watch from the very beginning.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41496 posts
Sat Apr-28-18 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "enjoyed it as well.... always had a problem wth the saved ppl concept"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 09:05 AM

8. "This was a great movie. "
In response to Reply # 0

I asked this question back in the day about people halfway around the globe who never heard the word or had a chance to be saved and they gave the same answer

I kept saying that shit didn’t sound fair.

How the hell?

Lobby General Discussion topic #13252607 Previous topic | Next topic