Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13252349

Subject: "Generation X, Y, or Millennial" Previous topic | Next topic
seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 08:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Generation X, Y, or Millennial"

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

Greatest Generation. These are the people that fought and died in World War II for our freedom, which we appreciate. But it's a little over-the-top as far as names go, isn't it? Tom Brokaw made the name up and of course everyone loved it. What, you're going to argue with your grandfather that he isn't in the greatest generation? The generation ended when the war ended.

Baby Boomers. This is the agreed-upon generation that falls within DiPrete's punctuated timeframe. It began when the Greatest Generation got home and started having sex with everyone; it ended when having sex with everyone was made easier with The Pill.

Generation X. George Masnick, of the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies puts this generation in the timeframe of 1965 to 1984, in part because it's a neat 20-year period. He also calls it the "baby bust," mocking "undits on Madison Avenue and in the media" that call it Generation X. Ha ha, tough luck.

Generation Y. Masnick addresses this group, too, putting it "anywhere from the mid-1970s when the oldest were born to the mid-2000s when the youngest were." But mostly Generation Y is a made-up generation when it became obvious that young kids didn't really fit with the cool Generation X aesthetic but not enough of them had been born to make a new generation designation. NOTE: Generation Y is a fake, made-up thing. Do not worry about it.

Millennials. In October 2004, researchers Neil Howe and William Strauss called Millennials "the next great generation," which is funny. They define the group as "as those born in 1982 and approximately the 20 years thereafter." In 2012, they affixed the end point as 2004.

TBD. But that means that kids born in the last 10 years lack a designation. They are not Millennials. Earlier this month, Pew Research asked people what the group should be called and offered some terrible ideas. In other words, this is the new Generation Y. We'll figure out what they're called in the future

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the new gen is iGeneration
Apr 23rd 2018
Oregon Trail Generation Stand up!
Apr 23rd 2018
salutes!
Apr 24th 2018
I'm starting to dislike the idea of 20-year long generations.
Apr 23rd 2018
Generations really shouldn't be about spans of time really.
Apr 23rd 2018
      i was born in 1986
Apr 23rd 2018
I'm sick of all these names for generations
Apr 23rd 2018
RE: Generation X, Y, or Millennial
Apr 23rd 2018
^^ WRONG
Apr 23rd 2018
LMAO
Apr 23rd 2018
its a spectrum for some folks
Apr 23rd 2018
mtv generation?
Apr 23rd 2018
old millennial, and cool with it.
Apr 23rd 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the new gen is iGeneration"
In response to Reply # 0

they spent more time on iphones as babies than they did sucking on their mamas nipples.

<--- Big Baller World Order

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:14 AM

2. "Oregon Trail Generation Stand up!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 07:08 AM

13. "salutes!"
In response to Reply # 2

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm starting to dislike the idea of 20-year long generations."
In response to Reply # 0

Like someone is supposed to have all that much in common with another person who was born while you were in college or boot camp or whatever. Generations shouldn't span much longer than 10 years.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49391 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:49 AM

5. "Generations really shouldn't be about spans of time really. "
In response to Reply # 3

It should be about common experiences.

That's why I think we are more Gen X than Millenials because we (Gen Y) like Gen X, spent a signficant time of our lives without the internet, the defining technology of this age.

We are a part of the post WWII generation that group up on television and American Prosperity.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 10:57 AM

7. "i was born in 1986"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Apr-23-18 10:58 AM by hardware

i have officially crossed the point where i've lived longer with the internet than without.
i can still ride the internet wave
but i experienced rotary phones

i don't mind the millennial title because i like there being a spectrum to each of the labels

and once we're all geriatric we're all gonna look think and act similar anyway

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79552 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 09:45 AM

4. "I'm sick of all these names for generations"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 10:21 AM

6. "RE: Generation X, Y, or Millennial"
In response to Reply # 0

THeew generation is already being called generation z in the marketing world. Most of the traits of this generation are still to be determined.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28841 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 11:13 AM

8. "^^ WRONG"
In response to Reply # 0

Gen X stops at 1979 and are known as Xennials
Gen Y stops at 1999 and starts at 1980.
Gen Z starts at 2000 and stops this year.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 11:16 AM

9. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 8

ok?

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 12:20 PM

10. "its a spectrum for some folks"
In response to Reply # 0

90's baby. So I identify with a whole lot of Gen X (older Gen Y) ethos

All of this while technically being a "millenial"

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 01:22 PM

11. "mtv generation?"
In response to Reply # 0

thats how i remember being referred to

__

fairweather

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 08:40 PM

12. "old millennial, and cool with it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Looking back...September 11th (I was in my first semester at college) was still a part of my childhood...and I know that's true for a lot of the kids that were born through the 90s. A lot of my "growing up" was deciding how I wanted to relate to the world and what I thought I could reasonably accomplish feeling frustrated by the political priorities of the early '00s.

The internet and smartphones weren't always part of my life, but we're all old enough to know that technology constantly changes and will continue to change. I definitely feel like kids born in the late 90s have more in common with my technological experience than kids that were born after '05 and had access to mobile apps while they were developing a theory of mind and language skills.

One big difference in my life compared to Cold War kids and War on Terror/School Shooting kids was intentional, acute human violence seemed to be less scary than things like earthquakes and hurricanes. Part of that was idealism and a lack of global perspective as a kid, and also because we treated things like DDT and the "hole in the ozone" as problems with solutions (while lacking proper perspective on the larger/looming crises related to extinctions and climate change), but I think that naive optimism defined my childhood too.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13252349 Previous topic | Next topic