Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13251102

Subject: "Passenger partially sucked out of window on Southwest flight (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Passenger partially sucked out of window on Southwest flight (link)"

Say what now??

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/southwest-airlines-planes-engine-explodes-passenger-reportedly-hit-with-shrapnel.html

A woman was "partially sucked out" an airplane window after an engine exploded in midair Tuesday, leading desperate passengers aboard the Southwest Airlines flight to try pulling her to safety amid a chaotic scene with "blood everywhere," frightened witnesses said.

At least one passenger was taken to the hospital and several people were reported injured after the plane made the emergency landing in Philadelphia, officials said.

WACU reported a passenger was "partially sucked out" of one of the plane's windows when the engine exploded and shrapnel from the engine pierced through a window, a father of one of the passengers said.

“One passenger, a woman, was partially…was drawn out towards the outside of the plane…was pulled back in by other passengers," Todd Bauer, the father of one of the passengers said.

Sources told FOX 29 that one passenger was in critical condition with head trauma and nine others were injured in the incident. It was not immediately clear if any of the nine injured were hospitalized.

A Southwest Airlines spokesperson said the Boeing 737-700 diverted "because of an operational event" but photos appeared to show engine damage.

Flight 1380 was en route from LaGuardia Airport in New York City to Dallas Love Field when it was diverted to Philadelphia International Airport. The plane was carrying 143 passengers and five crewmembers.

The Philadelphia Fire Department was on the scene helping evacuate passengers.

Marty Martinez, a passenger on the flight, posted a video on his personal Facebook page stating he was "recording his last moments." Martinez told CBS News there was "blood everywhere" on the aircraft.

"We were probably going down for 10 to 15 minutes," Martinez said. "And of course everyone is freaking out, everyone is crying. It was the scariest experience."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bruh...
Apr 17th 2018
I need to know how this happened.
Apr 17th 2018
seriously
Apr 17th 2018
I bet the engine ignition area lost a blade
Apr 17th 2018
speaking of engineering in aviation...
Apr 17th 2018
hell nah
Apr 17th 2018
PARTIALLY???!!!!??!
Apr 17th 2018
Welp, time for me to switch to JetBlue.
Apr 17th 2018
update: one person died
Apr 17th 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 12:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bruh..."
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 01:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I need to know how this happened."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-17-18 01:01 PM by Ryan M

WTF

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "seriously"
In response to Reply # 2

this is some final destination shit

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 01:04 PM

3. "I bet the engine ignition area lost a blade "
In response to Reply # 0

Goes to show how strong the window glass is to deflect a blade going that fast and shatter instead of killing someone in path. crazy engineering.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 01:37 PM

6. "speaking of engineering in aviation..."
In response to Reply # 3

this video trips me up every time i see it. after I saw this I have a lot of faith in engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 01:21 PM

5. "hell nah"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-17-18 01:34 PM by sectachrome86

Aisle seat for life. I'll take an elbow bump over getting my head sucked out of the window any day.

You think any of those people will ever fly again?

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 02:02 PM

7. "PARTIALLY???!!!!??!"
In response to Reply # 0

yall better partially cake me off

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

after midnight
Member since Jul 04th 2007
1208 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 02:52 PM

8. "Welp, time for me to switch to JetBlue."
In response to Reply # 0

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "update: one person died"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/04/17/southwest-flight-makes-emergency-landing-at-philadelphia-airport-reports-say

One person was killed after an engine failed and forced a Southwest Airlines flight to make an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport on Tuesday, federal investigators said.

Robert Sumwalt, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said that at about 11:15 a.m., the Southwest flight suffered an “apparent in-flight engine failure of the left engine.”
Sumwalt, who confirmed one fatality, said NTSB will ship the engine offsite and deconstruct it to determine what went wrong.

Sumwalt said the death marks the first passenger fatality on a U.S. carrier since 2009. The NTSB declined to speculate on the cause of death. It also marks the first passenger fatality for Southwest.

Airline officials had declined to specify the nature of the problem that forced the landing, but social media footage showed a heavily damaged engine. Passengers reported hearing an explosion and said shrapnel from the engine blew out a window.

Here's what the engine looked like:

https://twitter.com/EMMS_MrJohnson/status/986269126263033858

Lobby General Discussion topic #13251102 Previous topic | Next topic