Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13248051

Subject: "Landlord removes Black artist text from billboard" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Landlord removes Black artist text from billboard"

This is a childhood friend of mine. She had an art instillation in East Liberty with the words "There are Black People in the Future"

Building Landlord got pissed and made them remove the text.

The billboard has all types of text put on it for art installations but this one made people upset.

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13499566-74/removing-black-artists-words-from-the-last-billboard-tragically-ironic-creator-says

Removing black artist's words from The Last Billboard 'tragically ironic

A controversy is brewing over the removal of a black artist's message — "There Are Black People In The Future" — from an art installation atop a building in East Liberty.

Larimer artist Alisha Wormsley's message was one of 34 that have been posted, one at a time, on a large billboard atop the Werner Building at the intersection of South Highland Avenue and Baum Boulevard since 2013. Building owner We Do Property Management had the message removed, according to Pittsburgh artist and Carnegie Mellon University professor Jon Rubin, who created the installation dubbed The Last Billboard.

"Last week, The Last Billboard's landlord, We Do Property, forced Alisha's text to be taken down over objections to the content (through a never-before-evoked clause in the lease that gives the landlord the right to approve text)," Rubin said in a statement posted Tuesday on The Last Billboard's website.

The message went up in March. It was unclear why We Do Property objected.

The company's website directs callers to Caryn B. Rubinoff, principal of the Rubinoff Co., Downtown, which shares the same Liberty Avenue address as We Do Property. Rubinoff did not return a message seeking comment.

The Rubinoff Co. manages, leases and maintains about 2 million square feet of office, flex, warehouse and residential space in the Pittsburgh area, including the Koppers Building, Downtown, according to its website.

Contacted by email, Rubin declined to comment, but his statement indicates that he objected to the removal.

"I believe in the power, poetry and relevance of Alisha's text and see absolutely no reason it should have been taken down," he said. "I find it tragically ironic, given East Liberty's history and recent gentrification, that a text by an African-American artist affirming a place in the future for black people is seen as unacceptable in the present."

Wormsley could not be reached for comment.

The decision touched off a firestorm of controversy on social media.

Dozens of people have posted supportive comments on Wormsley's Facebook page, which contains a repost of Rubin's statement along with a photograph of the billboard containing her message. The thread has generated hundreds of shares.

Rubin previously told the Tribune-Review that he created the billboard to generate thought-provoking comments.

Funded by the Pittsburgh Foundation, the billboard has included such messages as "Ideally Everything Will Turn Quiet Now," "A Tow Truck Pulling An Ambulance" and "You Don't Need A Weatherman To Tell Which Way The Wind Blows."

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
and here is a response by the landlord to a letter
Apr 05th 2018
plans to replace it with...
Apr 05th 2018
"There are ALL people in the future"
Apr 05th 2018
      (C) Pharrell/common
Apr 05th 2018
      *windmills to this reply*
Apr 05th 2018
      LOL
Apr 05th 2018
The billboard owner is treating black race-baiters
Apr 05th 2018
you're a simpleton.
Apr 05th 2018
both my folks live in East Liberty and do community work
Apr 05th 2018
What's offensive is the idea that black people are powerful
Apr 05th 2018
You see it
Apr 05th 2018
Don't agree at all.
Apr 05th 2018
      ^^^ white faux tears ^^^
Apr 05th 2018
      ^^^ black faux argument ^^^
Apr 05th 2018
      The message is from black people to other black people
Apr 05th 2018
      Are you familiar with this poster?
Apr 05th 2018
           No. Did I just pay the fare and board a Troll-y Car?
Apr 05th 2018
                I'm being 100% sincere
Apr 05th 2018
                he's pretty stormfronty with it
Apr 05th 2018
                     *fucking citation needed*
Apr 05th 2018
                          Nah, you can try and call it anti racist
Apr 05th 2018
      ^^^^White Liberal Pathology
Apr 05th 2018
      LOL.
Apr 05th 2018
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Apr 05th 2018
This statement and "Black Lives Matter" are brilliant.
Apr 05th 2018
it's because any statement that has BLACK in it is offensive
Apr 05th 2018
See my above statement.
Apr 05th 2018
lmao, you are doing a lot of baiting in here
Apr 05th 2018
But it is and indication of that ...
Apr 05th 2018
      anyone offended by these quotes has serious issues
Apr 05th 2018
           That's what I'm saying.
Apr 05th 2018
Another reason "Black Lives Matter" sucks is
Apr 05th 2018
      "Black Lives Matter" has motivated more young black people...
Apr 05th 2018
      That's the beauty of it. That's why it's so important.
Apr 05th 2018
           RE: That's the beauty of it. That's why it's so important.
Apr 06th 2018
This should be guerilla art in every gentrified/ying neighborhood
Apr 05th 2018
*wrong spot*
Apr 05th 2018
      Clearly. Stormfront is ----> that a way.
Apr 05th 2018
           Not in favor or anti-white propaganda=nazi
Apr 05th 2018
           But you benefit from it and communicate a watered down version of it
Apr 05th 2018
           That was funny tho. I lol'd.
Apr 05th 2018
She's amazing and I support her 10000%
Apr 05th 2018
she is.. so proud of her
Apr 05th 2018
i'm mystified as to what the offense is
Apr 05th 2018
yeah i don't get it either
Apr 05th 2018
lol. thats not how my nerd as read that at all
Apr 05th 2018
it's uppity.
Apr 05th 2018
The good news at least...
Apr 05th 2018
I think this is her first installation on that building
Apr 05th 2018
      Ah, my mistake, I didn't realized the curator alternates artists.
Apr 05th 2018
Why should any landlord keep controversial art on his property?
Apr 07th 2018
Because they accepted dollars from a client.
Apr 08th 2018
What makes it controversial?
Apr 08th 2018
dr. welsing was right.
Apr 08th 2018

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "and here is a response by the landlord to a letter"
In response to Reply # 0

My inbox is being flooded with people accusing me of being a rascist for asking you to remove the sign. As you know, I requested that you remove it because other people in the community felt the sign was racist and were offended by it. So here we are. Art has caused friction. Perhaps that’s what you wanted but it shouldn’t be aimed at me.

We have worked together productively on this project for almost 8 years now, an arrangement which has added tremendously to the cultural fabric of the neighborhood. Over that time, we have never questioned any of the artistic statements you have made. This is all very disappointing. If a full community conversation is to be had, then that’s what should be focussed on.

If you agree to sponsor and conduct a community discussion where all parties are invited - and by that I mean everyone you have reached out to, everyone who was offended by it, the administration, the press, and anyone else - that is held at a public venue in East Liberty, such as the Kelly-Strayhorn, and if the end result of that discussion is agreement that the sign should go up again, we will be the first to give you the go ahead.

Eve Picker

whats funny is East Lib is going thru major gentrification and folks find this text racist!!!

It's racist to remind folks that Black folk will be here in the future?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:10 AM

2. "plans to replace it with..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Not if I can help it"

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:10 AM

20. ""There are ALL people in the future""
In response to Reply # 2

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:16 AM

21. "(C) Pharrell/common"
In response to Reply # 20

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:20 AM

22. "*windmills to this reply*"
In response to Reply # 21

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
35. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 20

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The billboard owner is treating black race-baiters"
In response to Reply # 0

the same as white ones. How novel.

Bravo.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 05:43 PM

46. "you're a simpleton."
In response to Reply # 3

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "both my folks live in East Liberty and do community work"
In response to Reply # 0

both have had the same sentiment "they catering to anyone who is not black"
my mom was on the board for the redevelopment of East Liberty and quit because of the way they were moving
luckily both of em own their places and are reaping the benefits of the gentrification
but everytime i go back home....people look at me like i dont belong lol
I went to the Trader Joes on Penn Ave and the lady asked me am I from here...i told her u used to catch trains in the back of here lol

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:28 AM

5. "What's offensive is the idea that black people are powerful"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-05-18 10:30 AM by flipnile

Not being subservient is offensive. Being proud of yourself and your accomplishments as a black person is offensive. Believing in yourself and believing that you can and will be great is offensive. Believing that black people, communities and culture will continue to grow and get stronger. Refusing to be held down is offensive.

Not staying in your place. Classic.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:37 AM

6. "You see it"
In response to Reply # 5

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:52 AM

8. "Don't agree at all."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Apr-05-18 10:53 AM by Stringer Bell

Very doubtful that's the motivating thought behind most of the complaints.

The billboard statement, to my white mind, seems grounded in a subtext that whites are looking forward to, or in favor of, the elimination of black people. This is an offensive subtext to me.

Additionally, a lot of white people are probably offended in principle by yet another demonstration of the double-standard that exists, where white-centered racial awareness messages (such as the recent "it's okay to be white" meme) are prohibited from public spaces, while similarly provocative POC-centered messages are often allowed. Note that a person doesn't have to be in favor of the former messages (as I'm definitely not) to have a problem with this double standard, and with the allowance of the provocative POC-centered messages.

They can simply be, as I am, against race-baiting messages, full-stop.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:57 AM

9. "^^^ white faux tears ^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:59 AM

12. "^^^ black faux argument ^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:32 AM

25. "The message is from black people to other black people"
In response to Reply # 8

It (from my perspective) has NOTHING to do with anything other than black people.

It's black people talking to other black people to help motivate each other. Black people facing very real problems in the US, and history has shown that if we don't muscle-up and start improving ourselves, our families, our communities and our county then it just won't happen.

The message helps plant the seed in the minds of black people that we matter, we're valuable, and we should carry ourselves as such. Those seeds lead to higher self-esteem, more motivation, lower crime, pride in one's community, better networking, etc.

With all that said, I think the root of the problem is perspective.

Google search "black pride" vs. "white pride"

Black pride = Pro Black
White pride = Anti Black

See the disconnect?

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:34 AM

28. "Are you familiar with this poster?"
In response to Reply # 25

------

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:40 AM

34. "No. Did I just pay the fare and board a Troll-y Car?"
In response to Reply # 28
Thu Apr-05-18 11:41 AM by flipnile

I assumed dude was being upfront with his views, and open to dialog.

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:44 AM

36. "I'm being 100% sincere"
In response to Reply # 34

Meat just hates me and follows me around. In a second he'll paste a quote of something very benign I said long ago, as though it is damning, hoping you won't read it.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 12:31 PM

37. "he's pretty stormfronty with it"
In response to Reply # 34

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 02:11 PM

39. "*fucking citation needed*"
In response to Reply # 37

Stormfront = pro-race baiting as long as it supports their preferred groups, so they are much more in line with your own position.

My position is called ANTI-racist.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 02:45 PM

41. "Nah, you can try and call it anti racist"
In response to Reply # 39

but the reality is you are uncomfortable seeing the words Black Lives or Black People.

You are in defense mode because you feel threatened.. when the reality is this shit has nothing to do with you.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "^^^^White Liberal Pathology"
In response to Reply # 8

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:39 AM

31. "LOL. "
In response to Reply # 8

The irony is that you just proved his point.

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
38. "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"
In response to Reply # 8

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:40 AM

7. "This statement and "Black Lives Matter" are brilliant. "
In response to Reply # 0

What does it say that these benign statements are controversial and white people find them offensive?

I'll admit that I didn't get it at first. I think I was critical of the name BLM and for the life of me can't remember why (need to find that post we discussed it).

But the fact that name and this statement drives people crazy is illuminating.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:58 AM

10. "it's because any statement that has BLACK in it is offensive"
In response to Reply # 7

to most wypipo because it's seen as an attack on them.

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:58 AM

11. "See my above statement."
In response to Reply # 7

The same applies to Black Lives Matter. It is the implied subtext that is offensive, not the statement itself. I resent the implication that the problem of police brutality and judicial leniency towards the officers involved is an indication of a widespread attitude that black people's lives don't matter.

It's condescending, demonizing, as has the potential to have negative consequences (as all race-baiting can).

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:00 AM

13. "lmao, you are doing a lot of baiting in here"
In response to Reply # 11

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "But it is and indication of that ..."
In response to Reply # 11

>I resent
>the implication that the problem of police brutality and
>judicial leniency towards the officers involved is an
>indication of a widespread attitude that black people's lives
>don't matter.

And it always has been.

Your resentment seems like a defense mechanism. Or an outright refusal to acknowledge the fact that white supremacy has been the goal of this country since the settlers got here. That doesn't mean every single white person in the US seeks to achieve this goal (I certainly don't) but it exists everywhere, and permeates everything. And the exposure of these truths shouldn't offend you, unless of course you're in support of that goal.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:33 AM

26. "anyone offended by these quotes has serious issues"
In response to Reply # 24

If hearing India Aries "Brown Skin" makes you feel attacked you are telling on yourself.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:35 AM

30. "That's what I'm saying."
In response to Reply # 26
Thu Apr-05-18 11:38 AM by Brew

>If hearing India Aries "Brown Skin" makes you feel attacked
>you are telling on yourself.

At best it shows a lack of understanding of the history of the country and world you live in. Which at this point is more or less a deliberate refusal to accept the evidence and facts right in front of you.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:25 AM

23. "Another reason "Black Lives Matter" sucks is"
In response to Reply # 7

it convicts nobody. I mean, white people roll their eyes at it. Racist white people even.

"Sure buddy, I know black lives matter and stuff, but you gotta admit that Alton Sterling boy had a gun."

It captures no ground that 99.8% of white people wish to stand on or defend.

Meanwhile, the "strength" of the message is it energizes well-meaning people due to the paranoia it entails.

It's both hysterical and empty. Like all racism.

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:39 AM

32. ""Black Lives Matter" has motivated more young black people..."
In response to Reply # 23

..to become active participants in their neighborhoods, communities and country. It's opened a dialog--however uncomfortable--that *anyone* can participate in, including you.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/ows_144002532180502.jpg
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kplu/files/styles/x_large/public/201708/AP_17106052603903.jpg

Notice that there's not just Black people in those photos? Go ahead and google more if you want. Then go ahead and google "White lives matter"

It's dishonest to label "Black Lives Matter" as racist, when most evidence points to it being an inclusive movement.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 03:00 PM

43. "That's the beauty of it. That's why it's so important. "
In response to Reply # 23

>it convicts nobody. I mean, white people roll their eyes at
>it. Racist white people even.

Not clear your point here. especially your use of "even".

>
>"Sure buddy, I know black lives matter and stuff, but you
>gotta admit that Alton Sterling boy had a gun."

Well the point is the person who would make that statement NEVER acknowledges black lives matter. They can't bring themselves to say it. They say ALL Lives Matter. They see the statement as ONLY Black lives Matter. The beauty of the statement is that it has been so revealing that so many black and white people find problematic such a benign, what should be obvious statement. It's such a simple thing to acknowledge. Such a simple statement. Why is it so hard to say?!?!

>It captures no ground that 99.8% of white people wish to stand
>on or defend.

So yeah, it has been a failure as a marketing tool. White people have not been flocking to get under that banner.

But I think it has served way more valuable as a statement to illuminate how basic and fundamental the problem is.

If we can't agree that black lives matter, how the fuck are we able to discuss the more complex issues that revolve around police brutality.

So to me, fuck it as a marketing tool, I love it for being a lithmus test of how fcuked up this country is. It's going to be worth it alone when 75 years from now (god willing) our children's children will look in text books and talk about how terrible the past was when white folks couldn't even acknowledge that black lives even mattered.

>
>Meanwhile, the "strength" of the message is it energizes
>well-meaning people due to the paranoia it entails.

I don't follow.

>It's both hysterical and empty. Like all racism.

You think the statement black lives matters is racist?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 09:24 AM

50. "RE: That's the beauty of it. That's why it's so important. "
In response to Reply # 43
Fri Apr-06-18 09:31 AM by Stringer Bell

>>it convicts nobody. I mean, white people roll their eyes at
>>it. Racist white people even.
>
>Not clear your point here.
>>It's both hysterical and empty. Like all racism.
>
>You think the statement black lives matters is racist?
>
>
>

Yes. In that it is a straw man. No juror who failed to indict a racist cop thinks or says “black lives do not matter.” That’s not how racism in 2018 America operates.

Is “black lives matter” actually influencing ppl to think this is the attitude of whites, and to incorrectly diagnose this attitude as the motivating force behind disproportionate police violence, and judicial inaction against same? I’d say it is, based on your own replies on this thread, wherein you perceive resistance to the slogan as an objection to the term blm itself, rather than to its subtext.”they don’t like the term blm, because they don’t believe blm!” Just not true.

There are many slogans that would be literally true contraindications of certain problematic behaviors, that you’d nevertheless think twice before marching under, due to context.

Ask yourself this: if white people looked at a problem in the black community (let’s take gang crime), and decided to start a political group with a catchy summary of the problem as its name (aimed at an unspecified them, bu obviously geared towards black actions and attitudes in the same way blm is geared towards white ones) wouldn’t it undoubtedly have a racist, reductive hue?

Blm is a misdiagnosis of the problem, and a racist reduction of white attitudes.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:00 AM

14. "This should be guerilla art in every gentrified/ying neighborhood "
In response to Reply # 0

------

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:03 AM

15. "*wrong spot*"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Apr-05-18 11:04 AM by Stringer Bell

n/m

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:04 AM

16. "Clearly. Stormfront is ----> that a way. "
In response to Reply # 15

------

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:06 AM

17. "Not in favor or anti-white propaganda=nazi"
In response to Reply # 16

Obv

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:10 AM

19. "But you benefit from it and communicate a watered down version of it"
In response to Reply # 17

Soooooo ^shrugs^

------

Stringer Bell
3175 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:07 AM

18. "That was funny tho. I lol'd."
In response to Reply # 16

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:34 AM

29. "She's amazing and I support her 10000%"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:40 AM

33. "she is.. so proud of her"
In response to Reply # 29

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 02:45 PM

40. "i'm mystified as to what the offense is"
In response to Reply # 0

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 02:57 PM

42. "yeah i don't get it either"
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Apr-05-18 03:01 PM by bearfield

i see it as a broad "we're not going anywhere" type of message to no one in particular. it can be interpreted in multiple ways. i suppose if someone wanted to be offended by it they could find a reason but if someone is looking for that they'll find whatever justification they need in anything they examine

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 07:47 PM

49. "lol. thats not how my nerd as read that at all"
In response to Reply # 42

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 05:47 PM

47. "it's uppity. "
In response to Reply # 40

they hate it when we speak even if to say "we in the building too"

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 04:44 PM

44. "The good news at least..."
In response to Reply # 0

Much needed attention to the arts—artists—Black artists—Black Female artists...& Alisha Wormsley. For 8 years she’s been making fantastic art atop that beautiful building, her recognition is suddenly being virally catapulted with this meaningful art, which moves people emotionally—exactly what art is supposed to do.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 05:13 PM

45. "I think this is her first installation on that building"
In response to Reply # 44

but she has been at it for a while.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 05:57 PM

48. "Ah, my mistake, I didn't realized the curator alternates artists. "
In response to Reply # 45

I thought they were all hers.
http://www.thelastbillboard.com/

OrangeandBlue
Member since Nov 02nd 2006
10198 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 09:57 PM

51. "Why should any landlord keep controversial art on his property?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's barely art + it's messing with his money

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 12:39 PM

52. "Because they accepted dollars from a client. "
In response to Reply # 51

and promoted the billboard as a place to put up thought provoking messages.

but as soon as one quote says Black folk will be in the future people lose their shit?

Makes you look hypocritical and butch made IMO.

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 01:04 PM

53. "What makes it controversial?"
In response to Reply # 51

------

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 04:15 PM

54. "dr. welsing was right."
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Lobby General Discussion topic #13248051 Previous topic | Next topic