Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13242146

Subject: "Depression/Anxiety- Johann Hari on Joe Rogan Experience" Previous topic | Next topic
makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Depression/Anxiety- Johann Hari on Joe Rogan Experience"

Interesting interview I thought was worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQUgd9GQtoQ

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i listened a few weeks ago. was in interesting conversation
Mar 13th 2018
i definitely don't agree with everything but he makes some good
Mar 16th 2018
      i think it's mostly because i had just listened to at peterson podcast
Mar 16th 2018
           That's where I am with Peterson....
Mar 16th 2018
           RE: That's where I am with Peterson....
Mar 17th 2018
           hes also forever going on about how the left wants "equality of outcome"
Mar 17th 2018
           jordan peterson is one of the dumber shits ever shat.
Mar 17th 2018

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i listened a few weeks ago. was in interesting conversation"
In response to Reply # 0

don't know how much i agree or disagree with but it was an interesting listen.

it's funny because I found myself annoyed by both of them at times. Hari was a little too academic at times, just meaning everything was "there was a study here, there was this professor, there was this study by this amazing professor" and on Joe's end, his pushback and questioning every other claim started annoying me a bit. Not really that I had a problem with him doing it, but i had just listened to him with Jordan Peterson and Rogan treats every word that guy says as gospel

but i particularly liked the stuff about addiction treatment and treatment methods around the world

overall an enjoyable listen.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Fri Mar-16-18 10:35 AM

2. "i definitely don't agree with everything but he makes some good"
In response to Reply # 1

point. like the stuff about financial anxiety and how we focus on the individual and not the community and society as a whole to measure success. I get what you are saying about Rogan interrupting too much but I thought he had some good questions, so it didn't bother me much.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Mar-16-18 03:43 PM

3. "i think it's mostly because i had just listened to at peterson podcast"
In response to Reply # 2

like a day or two before. and even though there are things Peterson says I agree with, he gets so hyperbolic. Pretty much every anecdote about college kids being ridiculous and hypersensitive about language is part of some larger sinister narrative about a slippery slope to Marxism and Stalinism because we don't understand history. And Rogan never pushes back on any of it.

>point. like the stuff about financial anxiety and how we
>focus on the individual and not the community and society as a
>whole to measure success. I get what you are saying about
>Rogan interrupting too much but I thought he had some good
>questions, so it didn't bother me much.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Fri Mar-16-18 11:42 PM

4. "That's where I am with Peterson...."
In response to Reply # 3

I find myself agreeing with a lot of his criticisms of today's youth but I can't help but feel that there's a very problematic agenda at play with him.

In that Cathy Newman interview, he rightly calls her out for line of questioning......while inserting these ideas that women were somehow inferior and only good enough to run companies when they mimicked men. Cathy Newman was so stuck on sparring that she didn't even catch what Peterson was saying.

Ben Shapiro does this as well. These guys toss out these terrible ideas about people that aren't white guys and get away with it by rallying behind cherrypicked data that's not even substantial.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: That's where I am with Peterson...."
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Mar-17-18 10:25 AM by double 0

Evolutionary Psychology has a lot of internal problems because of this..

I mean it could all be bullshit

"The big issue stems from how data is gathered. After all, for evolution to influence behaviour that characteristic has to be heritable (i.e., have a genetic foundation). However, establishing a definitive link between a particular behaviour and a gene would require human testing on a scale that would make the Nazis queasy.

Instead, scientists reason that since humans are almost genetically identical then behaviours with a genetic basis should also be very similar between people. So rather than conducting horrific genetic experiments they just look for “universal” behaviours instead. Everyone’s a winner."

http://www.evoanth.net/2014/12/30/75-of-evolutionary-psychology-cant-be-trusted/

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/401360

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/addiction-in-society/201012/is-evolutionary-psychology-total-utter-and-dangerous-bullshit

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/08/evolutionary_psychology_is_the_most_obvious_example_of_how_science_is_flawed.html

So everything from Jordan Peterson to James DaMore is sitting on shaky ass ground yet Rogan takes what is said from them as gospel because there is one study that was done with 20 people that says women close their eyes when they shoot so they aren't good soldiers or some stupid shit.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 02:46 PM

7. "hes also forever going on about how the left wants "equality of outcome""
In response to Reply # 4

on everything. an idea no one is suggesting, but he spends hours pummeling that strawman. He tends to take extreme examples of social justice gone wild, and fight against them so he looks like the voice of reason.

>In that Cathy Newman interview, he rightly calls her out for
>line of questioning......while inserting these ideas that
>women were somehow inferior and only good enough to run
>companies when they mimicked men. Cathy Newman was so stuck
>on sparring that she didn't even catch what Peterson was
>saying.

that was pretty painful on her end, because she was so bad at what she was trying to do, which was also strawman shit ("so you're saying..."). i can see why alt right or mra types love to share this video. it fits the theme of a liberal/feminist/sjw/media figure with a "gotcha" agenda, failing miserably, while he comes off in that interview as a cool, calm reasonable minded intellectual.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 02:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "jordan peterson is one of the dumber shits ever shat."
In response to Reply # 3

having small amounts you agree with is a strategy.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13242146 Previous topic | Next topic