Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13237907

Subject: "Disney Opening Oakland STEM Center After Black Panther Success" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 09:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Disney Opening Oakland STEM Center After Black Panther Success"

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-movie-oakland-stem-center/

Mild spoilers for Black Panther

Mirroring the ending of Black Panther, Walt Disney is donating $1 million dollars to help open new STEM centers across the nation. The success of Black Panther so far has been staggering, as the movie’s status as a cultural event has helped elevate it to new heights at the box office. Black Panther won its second weekend in theaters by breaking even more records, once again topping The Avengers. The movie sits above $700M worldwide as of today and seems to be driving a lot of return visits to the theaters.

Part of the movie’s success is undoubtedly due to the superb crew and cast assembled, with multiple award-winners helping to craft the action film. Add in the Marvel name and the popularity of the character, and Black Panther was also destined to do well. But its atypical setting for a blockbuster and focus on African culture – paired with a majority black cast and creatives – has given many people around the world a film like they’ve never seen. And when it comes to young people, the character of Shuri in particular has become a huge inspiration for those interesting in science and technology.

Black Panther ends on a scene of T’Challa telling Shuri that Wakanda will be reaching out to the world, which will include her leading a science initiative from a new facility in Oakland, CA. Now, ComingSoon is reporting that The Walt Disney Company will help life imitate art and will be donating $1 million to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, so that the organization can expand its STEM program.

Short for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, STEM programs have been a great way to get kids into those fields and help lead future innovation. Schools and private organizations have been increasing their focus on STEM over the years, especially when it applies to underprivileged kids who may not have access to the same resources and halls of knowledge as those who typically go into the fields. Disney’s donation will see BGCA expand their own STEM initiative, which will also see them build facilities all over the world.

The opening of a STEM Center of Innovation in Oakland, CA is especially of interest, as it mirrors the location in the film where Erik Killmonger grew up and where T’Challa eventually decides to open Wakanda’s facility. Oakland is also where director and co-writer Ryan Coogler grew up, so the move has some key connections to the movie. The money will also help centers open in Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Chicago, IL; Harlem, NY; Hartford, CT; Memphis, TN; New Orleans, LA; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Washington, DC; and Watts, CA.

It’s rare for a film, especially a tentpole comic book movie, to render actually change in the world. But superheroes at their best have always inspired people, especially the young. Shuri and Wakanda are just the latest set of role models for kids, joining the likes of Tony Stark and Peter Parker. Similarly, Disney will be pushing another young genius with the Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur animated series in the works. And with Black Panther continuing to dominate in theaters, expect more real-world events to be inspired by the movie.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dope
Feb 26th 2018
Okay let’s see how it goes
Feb 27th 2018
let me get my TOKP on
Feb 27th 2018
Good job
Feb 27th 2018
I had to do it..lol
Feb 27th 2018
Let me get my TOKPR on now about $0?
Feb 27th 2018
it's actually a good thing that the amount is "small"
Feb 27th 2018
      Good stuff.
Feb 27th 2018
      I'm stealing your response for some 'haters' on the 'Book
Feb 27th 2018
      please do.
Feb 27th 2018
           very interesting.
Feb 27th 2018
      Rising to my feet with the Slow Clap and HECK YEAH!
Feb 27th 2018
      Well done!
Feb 27th 2018
Let the fake outrage begin for just $1 Mil provided.
Feb 27th 2018
not outrage...just need to tamp the excitement and lauding.....
Feb 27th 2018
      RE: not outrage...just need to tamp the excitement and lauding.....
Feb 27th 2018
           I guess there's really no need to.... But IMO, there's always been a
Feb 27th 2018
Let's do the math....
Feb 27th 2018
that's bad math
Feb 27th 2018
That was just assuming a break down of 1 BGCOA in every state.
Feb 27th 2018
      again: faulty assumptions
Feb 27th 2018
           "FLUIDJ; playing devil's advocate since 2002" that's me all the way lol....
Feb 27th 2018
                its peace, man
Feb 27th 2018
                     felt! *daps*
Feb 27th 2018
likewise...
Feb 27th 2018
post#15....
Feb 27th 2018
Feb 27th 2018
      ^^^case in point^^^ this sort of insight wouldn't have come to light
Feb 27th 2018
Middle School creates BP inspired african curriculum -
Feb 27th 2018

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 09:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dope "
In response to Reply # 0

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Okay let’s see how it goes "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-27-18 07:56 AM by Atillah Moor

Thought you typed out stem cells lol

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 08:27 AM

3. "let me get my TOKP on"
In response to Reply # 0

1 million? That's it? If it was a person I would clap to this but this is Walt Disney. This should be much higher.

Especially based on how much Black Panther is making at the box office.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Good job"
In response to Reply # 3

I had to keep myself from getting upset. That's a good TOKP response.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 10:54 AM

7. "I had to do it..lol"
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 10:43 AM

5. "Let me get my TOKPR on now about $0?"
In response to Reply # 3

That way you won't have to complain.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:27 AM

8. "it's actually a good thing that the amount is "small""
In response to Reply # 3

any competent nonprofit executive director would jump at the opportunity to leverage this high profile donation to solicit matching funds from other orgs, foundations, banks etc

this is much better than if Disney gave a large one-time gift because other orgs would be like "oh y'all good and you don't need our money"

nope.

nonprofits need SUSTAINABLE funding. Disney's one-time gift enables the nonprofit to attract more of it. The thinking from Foundations is that if Disney has found this org financially and operationally stable enough to gift, then we should too.

(this my version of a Well Actually TOKPR)

d

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:06 PM

21. "Good stuff. "
In response to Reply # 8

See, a little TOKP can be for the greater good

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 01:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "I'm stealing your response for some 'haters' on the 'Book"
In response to Reply # 8

Damali
35865 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 03:00 PM

27. "please do."
In response to Reply # 25

nonprofits that are beholden to 1 large donor fare way worse than ones with smaller, diversified funding bases.

A $20M one-time donation from Disney would actually HURT a nonprofit and i'm sure Disney knows that.

having been an executive director, you need a bunch of different orgs to give you multi-year funding so you can build and SUSTAIN programs (and the staff!)...hiring people for a one off funded thing is horrible...and it protects the program from failing if any single donor ends their funding

this Disney money will help the Boys and Girls Clubs fundraise

d

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 09:46 PM

29. "very interesting."
In response to Reply # 27

never thought of it like this but what you said makes a lot of sense.
>nonprofits that are beholden to 1 large donor fare way worse
>than ones with smaller, diversified funding bases.
>
>A $20M one-time donation from Disney would actually HURT a
>nonprofit and i'm sure Disney knows that.
>
>having been an executive director, you need a bunch of
>different orgs to give you multi-year funding so you can build
>and SUSTAIN programs (and the staff!)...hiring people for a
>one off funded thing is horrible...and it protects the program
>from failing if any single donor ends their funding
>
>this Disney money will help the Boys and Girls Clubs
>fundraise
>
>d

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 02:14 PM

26. "Rising to my feet with the Slow Clap and HECK YEAH!"
In response to Reply # 8

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 05:05 PM

28. "Well done! "
In response to Reply # 8

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 10:53 AM

6. "Let the fake outrage begin for just $1 Mil provided."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure the Hotep Uber Woke crowd will be here, just not on time...

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:37 AM

10. "not outrage...just need to tamp the excitement and lauding....."
In response to Reply # 6

Would be great for some of the other tech billionaires to step in an match this though.....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:42 AM

12. "RE: not outrage...just need to tamp the excitement and lauding....."
In response to Reply # 10

>Would be great for some of the other tech billionaires to
>step in an match this though.....
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."

honest question....

why do you "need" to tamp excitement and lauding?

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:53 AM

15. "I guess there's really no need to.... But IMO, there's always been a "
In response to Reply # 12

strong push for STEM in the "Black Community"....
There are a whole grip of HBCU's with a STEM focus that need money...and those institutions may be better equipped to put the funding to use in a way that benefits the local community better....

But yeah...I can't really hate...and not really trying to honestly... I can't tell them how to spend their money. It's def. good that they acknowledge that they can play a part in the big picture...so yeah... Kudo's to Disney! They need to step their princess game up though....

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:35 AM

9. "Let's do the math...."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-27-18 11:35 AM by FLUIDJ

$1,000,000/50 States = $20,000/State....
You can't even buy a technologically advanced car that demonstrates the potential of a solid STEM education for that much....

Y'all gone ahead hand Disney their Black Card though....

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:41 AM

11. "that's bad math"
In response to Reply # 9

>$1,000,000/50 States = $20,000/State....

your premise is faulty?

where is it stated that that money is to be equally divided among 50 states?

>You can't even buy a technologically advanced car that
>demonstrates the potential of a solid STEM education for that
>much....
>
>Y'all gone ahead hand Disney their Black Card though....
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."

lets assume your assertion WAS true though

I bet you could teach a BUNCH of kids how to do word problems properly with $20K

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:48 AM

13. "That was just assuming a break down of 1 BGCOA in every state. "
In response to Reply # 11

I know that's not the case as I don't believe they are represented in every state. Even still that's a VERY conservative number at 50 because that $1,000,000 pot would likely be divided evenly across all chapters which exceeds 50 by a large margin...

I guess you could break it down by regional posts...and do the math that way...but the money STILL needs to trickle down to the local chapters/outposts somehow....

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:55 AM

17. "again: faulty assumptions"
In response to Reply # 13

without specific detail as to how the money was allocated couldn't it NOT just as easily have been earmarked for this particular purpose (as opposed to a more blanket donation that is used generically)?

you seem to be inclined toward a negative interpretation...

why?

(or are you doing the "devil's advocate" thing, a passive agressive "hate without hating" kinda thing, maybe trolling for entertainment, or something else)?

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:02 PM

19. ""FLUIDJ; playing devil's advocate since 2002" that's me all the way lol...."
In response to Reply # 17

>without specific detail as to how the money was allocated
>couldn't it NOT just as easily have been earmarked for this
>particular purpose (as opposed to a more blanket donation that
>is used generically)?
>
>you seem to be inclined toward a negative interpretation...
>
>why?

I AM a bit jaded though.....
I was privy to some Disney money back in the early 1990's... They funded an Computer Animation Camp at NC A&T that I participated in as a high schooler. (there was only like 4 of us in the camp). So I know that Disney BEEN doing stuff for "The People" for at least a minute....

>(or are you doing the "devil's advocate" thing, a passive
>agressive "hate without hating" kinda thing, maybe trolling
>for entertainment, or something else)?

I never do it for sheer entertainment. Definitely do it to help flesh out my feelings and opinion on certain subjects though. Often get a better understanding and overall feel for things this way...instead of a big ol Love Fest....

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:11 PM

22. "its peace, man"
In response to Reply # 19

i'm a bit hypersensitive to bucket crabs these days

i hate the number of people who just can't NOT, and either let folks just be happy (if but for a sec) or join the party.

for a hot minute lets:

not mourn the death of a man, woman, child killed on some bull$%^&

not be reminded how backwards and confused the society is around us

not fear for the future

folks wanna dress up, or play drums, give cross armed salutes, or just damn smile

w-t-f NOT??!

forgive me if you got the overflow of my angst

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:14 PM

23. "felt! *daps*"
In response to Reply # 22

Selah
16484 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:52 AM

14. "likewise..."
In response to Reply # 9

>Y'all gone ahead hand Disney their Black Card though....

who said all this??!

truth be told though...

they gave a 3-time director a $200 million dollar budget to make a Black movie

they hired an all-star team of a cast and crew of Black folx

they are/have marketed the hell out of this thing

Executive Producer is Black (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-panther-executive-producer-nate-moore-on-the-superheros-legacy/)

Used Black Ad agency to broker the deal with Lexus (http://www.blackenterprise.com/black-ad-agency-partnership-lexus-marvel-black-panther/)

*and* they giving back money

i don't particularly LIKE Disney, but.....

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:54 AM

16. "post#15...."
In response to Reply # 14

Damali
35865 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:58 AM

18. "#8"
In response to Reply # 9

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:03 PM

20. "^^^case in point^^^ this sort of insight wouldn't have come to light"
In response to Reply # 18

without dissenting statements being made....
good stuff..

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. " Middle School creates BP inspired african curriculum -"
In response to Reply # 0

Repost

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156175806423599&id=93611088598

Fresh. (There's a *TOKPR* moment in the clip tho, if anybody wants to take a swing at it)

>works. And with Black Panther continuing to dominate in
>theaters, expect more real-world events to be inspired by the
>movie.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13237907 Previous topic | Next topic