Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13236189

Subject: "it's 2018... i'm getting my streaming life together - GPM vs spotify?" Previous topic | Next topic
dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"it's 2018... i'm getting my streaming life together - GPM vs spotify?"

i'm a dino, i held out til now but i can't resist any longer

after a cursory google, i'm leading toward google play music - seems like with the option to upload my music (is this any music, or does it have to "match" tracks from their library?) plus the included youtube red subscription, it's the better value

but i know spotify is the ppls choice - what am i missing by forgoing it? also, am i understanding correctly that while you don't upload your own music per se, you can have it somehow relate to your existing library? can someone explain that to me?

I remember trying google play music at one point and having trouble uploading my files as advertised... any thoughts there? they're in varied formats, including m4a, so i know that could be at issue

__

fairweather

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ad-Free youtube is something I can't go without.......
Feb 21st 2018
have you had any issues uploading your library to GPM?
Feb 21st 2018
I haven't uploaded to it since I first subscribed years ago.
Feb 22nd 2018
Ad blockers solved this problem years ago though
Feb 22nd 2018
      Ad Block doesn't block video ads that play before the youtube vids....
Feb 22nd 2018
           on a computer they do. havent found one on mobile yet.
Feb 22nd 2018
                Same here. I haven't seen a youtube ad in years on my pc
Feb 22nd 2018
i choose spotify because of the playlists
Feb 22nd 2018
I tried alllll the services, and Spotify won out
Feb 22nd 2018
Not what you're asking, but I jplay MP3s/WAVs on an old phone
Feb 22nd 2018
if you have a subscription
Feb 22nd 2018
It’s 2018. Spotify lets you download songs bruh.
Feb 23rd 2018
      They allowed that way before 2018.
Feb 23rd 2018
           Oh, I know... just sayin’
Feb 23rd 2018
This is my fifth year on GPM, (no subscription)
Feb 22nd 2018
Used to be on Spotify but switched to GPM.
Feb 23rd 2018
I made the same spotify to gpm switch
Feb 23rd 2018

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Ad-Free youtube is something I can't go without......."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 07:36 PM

2. "have you had any issues uploading your library to GPM?"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm getting this 'can't establish a secure connection' error - from scanning help forums looks like a bug on their end? looks like some folks resolve by toggling off AV software, but I'm on a mac without that kind of software enabled - looks like some folks in my boat just wait it out and google seems to "fix it" sporadically

i don't want to spring for the monthly service if this is gonna be a thing - what's your experience like?

__

fairweather

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 06:48 AM

5. "I haven't uploaded to it since I first subscribed years ago. "
In response to Reply # 2

But I don't recall there being any issues back then. I just let it run in the background....
How often do you anticipate having to upload stuff though?
Go ahead and try one of the free trials they offer and see if you like it.

>I'm getting this 'can't establish a secure connection' error
>- from scanning help forums looks like a bug on their end?
>looks like some folks resolve by toggling off AV software, but
>I'm on a mac without that kind of software enabled - looks
>like some folks in my boat just wait it out and google seems
>to "fix it" sporadically
>
>i don't want to spring for the monthly service if this is
>gonna be a thing - what's your experience like?

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 12:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ad blockers solved this problem years ago though"
In response to Reply # 1

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 06:46 AM

4. "Ad Block doesn't block video ads that play before the youtube vids...."
In response to Reply # 3

do they?
If so, I hadn't discovered that feature in any of the ad blockers that I use.

Still nice to be able to go straight to a youtube video and not have to deal with ads. Also there's offline viewing and download.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 08:51 AM

7. "on a computer they do. havent found one on mobile yet."
In response to Reply # 4

<--- Big Baller World Order

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 09:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Same here. I haven't seen a youtube ad in years on my pc"
In response to Reply # 7

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 08:30 AM

6. "i choose spotify because of the playlists"
In response to Reply # 0

i follow a bunch of music finding playlists and they are all on spotify... most music website put their playlists on spotify...

so i found myself using spotify more often than GPM when I wasn't paying for streaming.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I tried alllll the services, and Spotify won out"
In response to Reply # 0

their recommendations are really spot-on (love the weekly discover playlist and the new releases one), although that can be good and bad since after a while you realize you mostly rely on their algorithm rather than seek out your own stuff. The app isn't as clean-cut as I'd like too, but that's a minor thing

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 12:28 PM

9. "Not what you're asking, but I jplay MP3s/WAVs on an old phone"
In response to Reply # 0

Put a bigger micro SD card in. I *hate* anything that needs an Internet connection when I'm out and about. My phone/data doesn't work on the subway, and that's where I really play music, so...

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 12:56 PM

10. "if you have a subscription"
In response to Reply # 9

you can download songs to listen to offline. so that will not be a problem with whatever subscription he gets.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 03:47 PM

14. "It’s 2018. Spotify lets you download songs bruh. "
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 03:50 PM

15. "They allowed that way before 2018. "
In response to Reply # 14

I had their service from the time it was first available in the US. That offline ability was there from the jump.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 05:15 PM

17. "Oh, I know... just sayin’ "
In response to Reply # 15

its funny he didn’t think it was an option.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Thu Feb-22-18 01:10 PM

11. "This is my fifth year on GPM, (no subscription)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-22-18 01:11 PM by select_from_where

I am still happy with the service, the radio suggestions can vary a bit so I use Pandora for sourcing new music or artists then download the YouTube videos of their song, then upload to GPM

I also do the same for live concerts, really nice to have those in my library forever.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 01:26 PM

13. "Used to be on Spotify but switched to GPM."
In response to Reply # 0

Things I miss about Spotify is the ability to follow favorite artists. That function allowed me to know when said artist had dropped a new album (especially since the "new releases" section only shows a certain amount of new releases and not all of them). GPM doesn't have that function and could seriously use it.

I also miss Spotify's Blue Note plug-in (for the PC version of Spotify) that had EVERY Blue Note album and the convenience of allowing the consumer to pick whichever year of Blue Note jazz they wanted to listen to. That as well as allowing you to pick whether you were in the mood for whatever instrument that was the main focus (piano-based jazz, sax based, trumpet based, vocal based, etc.) That plug in was done away with WAY before I made the switch to GPM.

What made me switch over to GPM 100% (I already had the free account that only consisted of my personal music stash that was uploaded) was the fact that Google had thrown in the YouTube Red bonus. I already had adblock on my PC, so not seeing ads wasn't much of a selling point, though it came in handy for my phone. For me, I listen to a lot of commentary on YouTube, especially on my phone. I always hated having to interrupt whatever I was listening to if I had to go on another app for whatever reason. To be able to go on other apps while having YT playing in the background, via YT Red, was what had sold me. Having no adds was an added bonus.

I also accidentally found another pro for using GPM, and that's being able to fill in gaps when GPM is missing a particular album for whatever reason. I was listening to Funkadelic one evening and had noticed that "Hardcore Jollies" wasn't available (probably licensing reasons). Anyway, since I had the album in my personal stash, I was still able to enjoy the album with no problems. This helps a lot in the '90s hip hop realm because from my experience with both Spotify and GPM, there are a considerable amount of underground hip hop albums that aren't listed (typically the stuff that's hard to find even with physical formats) in either service. If you have your own MP3s of those missing albums, you can load them up and at least be able to listen to them despite the service not carrying them.

Since 1976

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 04:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I made the same spotify to gpm switch"
In response to Reply # 13

and there's some stuff I miss but yeah, it's made up for w/ youtube red and uploading my own music

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13236189 Previous topic | Next topic