Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13232751

Subject: "Okay Particle Physicists. Large Hadron Colliders " Previous topic | Next topic
Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Okay Particle Physicists. Large Hadron Colliders "
Wed Feb-07-18 11:17 AM by Atillah Moor

Do they really create anti-matter particles and is the theoretical(?) Higgs boson particle capable of existing in two places simultaneously?

There is so much crazy talk surrounding the LHC that getting an understanding of what they could potentially prove or uncover is difficult to ascertain.

Could they theoretically warp space time? My impression is yes even without movies and TV suddenly jumping on the multidimensional bandwagon, but what do people with real scientific understanding think?

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The CERN site goes over all your questions better than anyone
Feb 07th 2018
man have you tried digging through all of that?
Feb 07th 2018
I have read it, nothing to be scared of
Feb 07th 2018
      The effects of antimatter on human subjects and physical space
Feb 07th 2018
           RE: The effects of antimatter on human subjects and physical space
Feb 07th 2018
                thanks!
Feb 08th 2018
Actually...
Feb 07th 2018
      Ha, well I haven't seen (maybe noticed) you here in a while
Feb 07th 2018
           I turned from our resident physicist to our resident Bernie skeptic,
Feb 07th 2018
                Bernie creating black holes in the LHC confirmed
Feb 07th 2018
                     ^ Russian chatbot propaganda.
Feb 07th 2018
Yup. Maybe. 2021 gonna be lit.
Feb 07th 2018
all will be revealed in the next one, the VERY large hadron collider
Feb 07th 2018
well if this time stuff is true, it's already built lol
Feb 07th 2018
      as a known time traveler... no comment.
Feb 07th 2018
RE: Okay Particle Physicists. Large Hadron Colliders
Feb 07th 2018

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The CERN site goes over all your questions better than anyone "
In response to Reply # 0

here can answer.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "man have you tried digging through all of that?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Feb-07-18 11:26 AM by Atillah Moor

Plus I need theory on what they are talking because the Higgs Boson and Antimatter info is obviously there and I need to hear some info counter to what I've heard and read because yo...

that shit is legit scary IF there's any truth in what is being talked about or the dots one can connect.

Innocent Criminal
14585 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I have read it, nothing to be scared of"
In response to Reply # 2

What exactly do you think is going to happen?

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 12:27 PM

10. "The effects of antimatter on human subjects and physical space "
In response to Reply # 4

I don't have enough to say anything other than "I need to look into more" but in short

On Anti Matter:

What we call anti-matter can cause negative impulses in human beings (increased aggression etc) and can even be generated in very minute quantities in humans via traumas, perpetually negative outlooks, etc

There is a connection between "anti-matter" and what we call paranormal activity. Allegedly scientifically proven.

On Higgs Boson

No real worry here but I heard something interesting about "groundhog day" like time loops being potential anomalies or scenarios that can be created

Also

just from the sound of it IF all time exists simultaneously and these particles if proven to exist and function according to theory (can exist in two places simultaneously) than it seems like some kind of time window could be something that these particles could create. Not traveling physically in time but viewing past and or future events.

At the very least some type of super intelligent or advanced computer could be developed as the result of it's being able to hold two "ideas" at once via a processor that manipulated these particles

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 06:59 PM

15. "RE: The effects of antimatter on human subjects and physical space "
In response to Reply # 10

>I don't have enough to say anything other than "I need to
>look into more" but in short
>
>On Anti Matter:
>
>What we call anti-matter can cause negative impulses in human
>beings (increased aggression etc) and can even be generated in
>very minute quantities in humans via traumas, perpetually
>negative outlooks, etc

Nah, you're reading too much into the name. There's nothing "negative" about anti-matter apart from having opposite electrical charge. Electrons have negative charge, anti-electrons (aka 'positrons') have positive charge. Protons have positive charge, anti-protons have negative charge. There's not really much else to it than that.

Antimatter particles are still normal matter. They still have positive mass, they still attract things gravitationally, they still respond in the same ways to forces, etc.

>There is a connection between "anti-matter" and what we call
>paranormal activity. Allegedly scientifically proven.

Nah.

>On Higgs Boson
>
>No real worry here but I heard something interesting about
>"groundhog day" like time loops being potential anomalies or
>scenarios that can be created

Well, wormholes could in principle lead to time loops. But that's one of the reasons that they can't exist. Not only would it violate basic assumptions about causality; also one can show through relatively straightforward calculations (for a physicist) that any such system would destroy itself just before it becomes a useful time machine. I could talk about it more, but I already ramble enough in these threads.

>Also
>
>just from the sound of it IF all time exists simultaneously
>and these particles if proven to exist and function according
>to theory (can exist in two places simultaneously) than it
>seems like some kind of time window could be something that
>these particles could create. Not traveling physically in time
>but viewing past and or future events.

Well, in a sense the quantum "nonlocality" applies in time just as well as in space, and again this applies to all particles and all matter. But as with the spatial nonlocality the effect becomes pretty much useless once you're no longer talking about individual subatomic particles.

>At the very least some type of super intelligent or advanced
>computer could be developed as the result of it's being able
>to hold two "ideas" at once via a processor that manipulated
>these particles

Well, that's kind of what a quantum computer is, and research groups really are building these things. They'll likely be a very big deal in about 10-20 years. Nowadays they can't really do much.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Feb-08-18 10:11 AM

16. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 15

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:39 AM

5. "Actually..."
In response to Reply # 1

But I'm busy right now, preparing this afternoon's lecture. I'll come back to this post tonight with some very long-winded answers.

Ooh it's been a while since we've had a physics post!

Innocent Criminal
14585 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:49 AM

6. "Ha, well I haven't seen (maybe noticed) you here in a while"
In response to Reply # 5

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:57 AM

7. "I turned from our resident physicist to our resident Bernie skeptic,"
In response to Reply # 6

and that really affected my OKP following.

But I'll keep Bernie out of this.

Innocent Criminal
14585 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:59 AM

8. "Bernie creating black holes in the LHC confirmed"
In response to Reply # 7

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 12:12 PM

9. "^ Russian chatbot propaganda."
In response to Reply # 8

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:26 AM

3. "Yup. Maybe. 2021 gonna be lit."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "all will be revealed in the next one, the VERY large hadron collider"
In response to Reply # 0

https://futurism.com/the-next-particle-collider-will-be-three-times-bigger-than-the-lhc/

{due in 2045}

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 03:34 PM

12. "well if this time stuff is true, it's already built lol "
In response to Reply # 11

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 04:14 PM

13. "as a known time traveler... no comment."
In response to Reply # 12

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 06:48 PM

14. "RE: Okay Particle Physicists. Large Hadron Colliders "
In response to Reply # 0

>Do they really create anti-matter particles

Yes, but you don't need the LHC to produce anti-matter. Basically any particle collider will produce it in some amounts. It also occurs naturally.

>and is the
>theoretical(?) Higgs boson particle capable of existing in two
>places simultaneously?

Not just the Higgs. This is a quantum mechanics thing, and it applies to ALL particles, and therefore all matter. YOU currently exist in many places simultaneously. With a certain (extremely small) "quantum amplitude", you're currently on the moon.

The effect is real for all matter. It just tends to be the most important for individual subatomic particles. (The more particles there are, the more the system tends to "average out" to a well-defined classical state.)

>There is so much crazy talk surrounding the LHC that getting
>an understanding of what they could potentially prove or
>uncover is difficult to ascertain.

Well, they found the Higgs. And that was a big deal. The bad news, actually really bad news, is that it looks like they won't discover anything else. The laws of physics, as we already knew them, just turned out to be too accurate. There hasn't been anything other than the Higgs that hasn't gone exactly as expected.

That's not a humble-brag, by the way, even for the community as a whole. It's actually a really serious problem that the people in particle physics don't seem to have anything that breaks with expectations. Because that leaves them with no guidance for future theories. People are literally dropping out of the field because there's nothing for them to work on.

>Could they theoretically warp space time?

They could, and they do, in extremely tiny amounts. But so do you. The gravitational field is a manifestation of warped spacetime. So anything that produces a gravitational field (which is literally anything made of matter and/or energy), warps spacetime.

Extreme warping of spacetime occurs in black holes. Unfortunately LHC doesn't seem to have nearly enough energy to produce black holes. It would have been really cool (and no, not dangerous) if it had.

Extreme warping of spacetime is also often associated with wormholes, but there were never any expectations that LHC could produce wormholes, and there are basic reasons to think that wormholes likely can't be produced on a macroscopic scale. (I say this as one of the few people in the world who's actually done formal research on wormholes. They're extremely interesting things, but unfortunately not things that seem to actually exist.)

Lobby General Discussion topic #13232751 Previous topic | Next topic