Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13230744

Subject: "Ant-Man and The Wasp " Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ant-Man and The Wasp "

This looks lit as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rTIAOohas

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was wrong
Jan 30th 2018
This is where I'm at...
Jan 30th 2018
a hello kitty pez dispenser though
Jan 30th 2018
they dealing with spousal abuse in this one? My bad it's not a DC movie
Jan 30th 2018
RE: they dealing with spousal abuse in this one? My bad it's not a DC mo...
Jan 30th 2018
https://2sp7lb27e15tm9sej1jutg1m-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uplo...
Jan 31st 2018
2 of my favorite Avengers (in the books). I wish they'd get more airtime...
Jan 31st 2018
Out of all the Marvel movies this was the most pleasant surprise
Jan 30th 2018
The guy from Clueless is a super hero yall.
Jan 30th 2018
shout out water bears @ :59
Jan 31st 2018
New trailer
May 01st 2018
Yeah, a nice fun team-up is what we need
May 01st 2018
yeah this looks dope.
May 01st 2018
should i watch this trailer if i havent seen infinity war?
May 01st 2018
      no spoilers
May 01st 2018
Not as good as the first. My review.
Jun 27th 2018

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

After Black Panther and Infinity War, I didn't think I had any enthusiasm left in me. I was wrong...

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 12:41 PM

4. "This is where I'm at..."
In response to Reply # 1

>After Black Panther and Infinity War, I didn't think I had
>any enthusiasm left in me. I was wrong...

Marvel is not slowing down...

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "a hello kitty pez dispenser though"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 10:49 AM

3. "they dealing with spousal abuse in this one? My bad it's not a DC movie"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-30-18 10:50 AM by Atillah Moor

Still though not to make jokes but it's weird when you know all the messed up places they've taken these characters

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: they dealing with spousal abuse in this one? My bad it's not a DC mo..."
In response to Reply # 3

Not the same characters. That was Hank and Janet.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 12:24 PM

9. "https://2sp7lb27e15tm9sej1jutg1m-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uplo..."
In response to Reply # 6

https://2sp7lb27e15tm9sej1jutg1m-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mouth-foot.gif

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 12:45 PM

10. "2 of my favorite Avengers (in the books). I wish they'd get more airtime..."
In response to Reply # 3

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Out of all the Marvel movies this was the most pleasant surprise"
In response to Reply # 0

The concept alone was always dumb to me but when that first one came out i was super impressed on how good it was. This new one looks just as dumb on paper but man oh man does it look good and fun and fuck.

----------

IG @h_n_z

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Jan-30-18 11:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "The guy from Clueless is a super hero yall. "
In response to Reply # 0

still my favorite thing in this.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 02:54 AM

8. "shout out water bears @ :59"
In response to Reply # 0

__

fairweather

bwood
8614 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:54 AM

11. "New trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

This shit looks fun as fuck.

Great use of "It Takes Two".

https://youtu.be/UUkn-enk2RU

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:56 AM

12. "Yeah, a nice fun team-up is what we need"
In response to Reply # 11

After Infinity War.

This looks dope and I can't wait.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue May-01-18 11:31 AM

13. "yeah this looks dope. "

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue May-01-18 12:57 PM

14. "should i watch this trailer if i havent seen infinity war?"

any spoilers?

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Tue May-01-18 01:00 PM

15. "no spoilers"
In response to Reply # 14

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Jun-27-18 10:44 AM

16. "Not as good as the first. My review."
In response to Reply # 0

Can you believe this is the twentieth (!) film Marvel has released? That’s a testament to just how much these films connect. Ant-Man and the Wasp was a film I was really looking forward to. Seeing Scott (Paul Rudd) working Hope (Evangeline Lily), as well as dealing with the fallout of Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War was something that had me excited. Ant-Man has grown in esteem for me upon rewatches, so it doesn’t feel good to say that I was underwhelmed by Ant-Man and the Wasp.

After the events of Captain America: Civil War, Scott is now under house arrest after taking a deal. However, his brief journey into the Quantum Realm (from the first film) triggers a vision which leads Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and Hope van Dyne back to Scott. As well as the FBI lead by Jimmy Woo (Randall Park), the mysterious and powerful Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen), and small-time gangster Sonny Burch (Walton Goggins).

The best thing about this film is seeing Hope as the new Wasp. She’s so cool in that suit and has some crazy moves. Evangeline Lily gets to do more with Hope as a character this time out other than being shrewish. She’s been hurt by Scott. As she tries to make her family whole again, she must contend with her conflicted feelings with Scott.

Paul Rudd is playing Scott as a doofus who is sick of being a doofus. Off the rip, once the movie starts, he regretful of how things turned out during Civil War, yet is still striving to do the right thing. Hank is like a surrogate father to him and just wants his approval again. Hope is someone he loves and throughout the film, he’s taking steps to show her the man he can be. He also acknowledges that Hope is more powerful than he can ever be and needs someone watching his back. Sure, he worked the whole first film to get back in Paxton (Bobby Cannavale) and Maggie’s (Judy Greer) good graces (which is adorable in this film), but he’s Ant-Man now. He needs Hope.

With all that said, the antagonists in this film are boring. FBI agent Jimmy Woo is not a villain, but he is a one-note antagonist who only serves to be the butt of the joke as well as to consistently hinder our heroes’ goals. Randall Park is a great actor and he deserves better than this thankless role. Honestly, once Kevin Feige can use S.H.I.E.L.D. again in the films, I’d like to see Randall play a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who’s competent but still with comedic flair who’s not the joke.

Hannah John-Kamen does the best she’s given as the “villain” Ghost. I never found the character to be that much of a threat or connected with her tragic backstory. Take Hela from Thor: Ragnarok for example. As soon as she steps onscreen, you feel the danger and the drastic odds Thor is up against. Same goes for Killmonger from Black Panther and Thanos, the best part of Infinity War. All three of these villains were dangerous while still being like complex characters. Emotionally or viscerally I just couldn’t connect with Ghost outside the cool effects work of her character’s ghost trail.

Walton Goggins as Sonny Burch is more of a nuisance than a villain. He’s out to get Hank’s tech for reasons that are already escaping me and in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter. Goggins is always great, but man did it feel like killing time whenever he’s brought back into the picture. Time that could’ve been spent more on Scott and Hope’s romantic relationship, utilizing Laurence Fishburne more who plays a significant character from Marvel comics named Bill Foster aka Goliath, or getting Michelle Pfeiffer into the picture much earlier.

That’s the main problem here is that none of this comes together all that well. Yeah, Michael Peña is back along with T.I. and David Dastmalchian but even they feel extraneous. What made the first film work so well is framing the whole film around a heist. It felt more focused and urgent having unique set pieces that played with scale in cool ways. And while returning director Peyton Reed plays with scale again fun ways, it was never anything as great as the first. There are lots of sight gags here that cost a lot of money which could’ve made the set pieces pop a little more. I mean the coolest thing Scott does the entire film is riding a flatbed truck like a scooter. That’s a shame as in Civil War when he was Giant-Man, he got a lot more to do there than he does in this film. His malfunctioning suit was only so funny for so long.

Is this a fun movie? Yes. But it’s just not as strong as the first film. It sort of feels as if we’re killing time until Captain Marvel drops in March. I want to see more of Scott and Hope as a team, just with a more focused story and a better villain. You could do much worse and Marvel has done much, much worse (Thor: The Dark World). Stick around for two end credits scenes that had my audience shocked.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13230744 Previous topic | Next topic