Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13228984

Subject: "Car Experts: A Question About Tires" Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Car Experts: A Question About Tires"

I clearly have an alignment issue because I bought my two front tires at the same time and the edge of my driver's side tire is BALD (after reaching the tire's mileage rating) and my passenger side tire looks fairly new still.

Since my passenger tire still has a ton of wear to go, can I be cheap and buy one tire for the driver's side and get my front end aligned (i'm not rotating the back tires to the front, btw) so that my brand new driver's tire and my still pretty new passenger tire will basically wear the same.

the reason i'm being frugal is because this car is a few months from being paid off and i don't know how long i'm going to keep and i don't wanna dump money into it if i'm not keeping it. i'll let the next owner worry about having great tires if it comes to that.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
get a good used tire with about the same wear as the other one*
Jan 24th 2018
I always err on the side of replacing in pairs where possible
Jan 24th 2018
yah...if that's how you gotta rock it right now...
Jan 24th 2018
Ball joint is my thought
Jan 24th 2018
i don't have any symptoms of a bad ball joint as far as i can tell...
Jan 24th 2018
      that worn tire is a symptom, though...
Jan 24th 2018
           thanks.
Jan 24th 2018
yeah...
Jan 24th 2018
Am I missing out on anything important buying relatively cheap tires?
Jan 24th 2018
150 still cheap.
Jan 24th 2018
eh...it really is a get what you pay for type deal...
Jan 24th 2018
i needed 3, and am just buying 4 so they're all new and the same
Jan 24th 2018
      yeah, always buy in pairs if you can...
Jan 24th 2018
      If the shop said only buy 3, I'd probably walk
Jan 24th 2018
           yeah buuuuut you could just buy a left nike and still walk around fine
Jan 24th 2018
Think a lot of this is what brand tire.
Jan 24th 2018
If you have to ask, probably not
Jan 24th 2018
I’m no car expert but I always buy 1 tire if I need 1 tire
Jan 24th 2018
lol. my man.
Jan 24th 2018
      Ole girl said they made her buy a pair for her Range Rover.
Jan 24th 2018
           only thing...is if you have a awd, you really do have to buy 4....
Jan 24th 2018
                if I ever had an AWD I would be fucked.. cause I ain't doing it b
Jan 24th 2018
                     lol, well you could put those savings towards the new transfer case...
Jan 24th 2018

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "get a good used tire with about the same wear as the other one*"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-24-18 11:48 AM by KiloMcG

i did that for my wife's ride.

and shit, i replaced all four of my tires with used ones. they don't match, but idgaf about that.

*disclaimer, i am no car expert

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I always err on the side of replacing in pairs where possible"
In response to Reply # 0

Sucks, but is always the safest bet (and absolutely necessary in the case of, say, brakes). Even two used tires may work (though I've never got a used tire so can't comment on that part)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yah...if that's how you gotta rock it right now..."
In response to Reply # 0

get one tire and roll. As long as you don't have all-wheel drive, shouldn't be a problem. I'm curious why that driver side tire is so ate up. Wouldn't be surprised if when you went to get an alignment, they found a front end component worn. Not trying to have you shook...just a possibility.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:57 AM

4. "Ball joint is my thought"
In response to Reply # 3

Haven't had to replace one in quite a while

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:01 PM

6. "i don't have any symptoms of a bad ball joint as far as i can tell..."
In response to Reply # 4

in fact, i'm only thinking alignment because a friend who does know cars told me that even though my car doesn't pull to the left or right that you could still need an alignment, which i thought was only true if your car was pulling in a direction.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:03 PM

7. "that worn tire is a symptom, though..."
In response to Reply # 6

and yeah, the steering wheel could be straight, but you still need an alignment. Usually inside or outside wear is caused by bad camber adjustment...but that could be affected by a ball joint, sagging spring, control arm bushings.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:09 PM

8. "thanks."
In response to Reply # 7

i guess when i go to get the tire they'll give me whatever bad news is there is to give.

i pray it's nothing because this is a BAD time financially to have to deal w/ something like that.

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:57 AM

5. "yeah..."
In response to Reply # 3

i mean, it didn't happen hella fast (the wear)

they were cheap tires to begin with, only rated for 30K miles and I think i'm at 37K on em...so it's probably more to do with the tire than a part, or at least i'd like to think so, lol.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:19 PM

9. "Am I missing out on anything important buying relatively cheap tires?"
In response to Reply # 0

should i be investing in tires that cost $150 ea instead of the ones that cost 90 ea?

__

fairweather

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:22 PM

10. "150 still cheap."
In response to Reply # 9

but i'm no good on this topic, obviously.

perfomance tires cost more. tires with longer mileage ratings cost more.

that's about what i know re: tires.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:25 PM

11. "eh...it really is a get what you pay for type deal..."
In response to Reply # 9

$150 is relatively cheap. Prolly be more concerned with tread rating and mileage...35k, 50k, etc.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:33 PM

12. "i needed 3, and am just buying 4 so they're all new and the same"
In response to Reply # 11

that was the right move, right?

ive heard from some folks that you always want at least each pair of left/right tires to match, if not all 4, but other folks have told me it literally doesn't matter at all

tire shop dude said it was up to me, 3 new ones would work fine, but having them all match would be helpful for rotating (which i never do unless there's an issue tbh)

__

fairweather

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:35 PM

13. "yeah, always buy in pairs if you can..."
In response to Reply # 12

unless, again, you have AWD...then you have to replace all 4. And...you're spending $450 at least on these 4 tires...please rotate. It will extend the life of the tires and it's fairly cheap.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:41 PM

15. "If the shop said only buy 3, I'd probably walk"
In response to Reply # 12

Believe me, I', all for saving money and all, but if you have 3 bad tires you may as well have 4. I hate buying tires in pairs, but I do want them even. I always looked at it like shoes for the car. I wouldn't buy just a left Nike...

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:46 PM

16. "yeah buuuuut you could just buy a left nike and still walk around fine"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Jan-24-18 12:46 PM by dba_BAD

with your old right adidas

you would just look goofy af

haha but i feel you yeah makes sense

__

fairweather

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:36 PM

14. "Think a lot of this is what brand tire. "
In response to Reply # 9

Like, are you rocking Fuzion tires from Pep Boys, Firestones, BFGs, Dunlops or Michelin?

Inexpensive and cheap are two different things.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 01:40 PM

21. "If you have to ask, probably not"
In response to Reply # 9

That said, tires are probably the most important part of your car in terms of performance and safety. Just don't buy the absolute shittiest cheapest ones.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:49 PM

17. "I’m no car expert but I always buy 1 tire if I need 1 tire"
In response to Reply # 0

Wife’s car had a flat and they tried to get her to buy 4 new tires. I had to take off work to tell them hoes to put 1 tire on the car and stfu.

Unless I’m racing in Formula One or have a Ferrari I’m not falling for that shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:52 PM

18. "lol. my man. "
In response to Reply # 17

i'd have done the same thing. sometimes the okey doke is too obvious.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 12:55 PM

19. "Ole girl said they made her buy a pair for her Range Rover. "
In response to Reply # 18

I see RR’s parked on rocks at the dealership to show their “range” but you mean to tell me buying 1 tire is going to fuck up the truck? Yeahhh ok.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 01:04 PM

20. "only thing...is if you have a awd, you really do have to buy 4...."
In response to Reply # 19

I always told people, IF you can buy 2, do that...if not...rock 1 until you can do better.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 02:32 PM

22. "if I ever had an AWD I would be fucked.. cause I ain't doing it b"
In response to Reply # 20

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 02:40 PM

23. "lol, well you could put those savings towards the new transfer case..."
In response to Reply # 22

you'll have to pay for.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13228984 Previous topic | Next topic