Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13225143

Subject: "Finish my degree or nah???" Previous topic | Next topic
Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1562 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Finish my degree or nah???"

So, I've long wanted to go back to school and finish my degree. I've constantly made excuses and put it off. At this point in my career I really don't know how much of benefit it will be for me. I work in the I.T. industry and have advanced within this industry and from a financial perspective am doing better than a lot of my friends and fam that have post grad degrees. I've said I will finish because it's something I want for myself. But now with a wife and kids, I really could save the money for their education. God forbid they have to be tied to student longs for as long as my wife and I were.

I will be 44 this month and feel I should be focusing on our kids future and retiring. What do you think???

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how much do you have left?
Jan 11th 2018
RE: how much do you have left?
Jan 11th 2018
If your career is solid I wouldn’t do it
Jan 11th 2018
Damn near in the same boat minus the wife and kids n a lil
Jan 11th 2018
how much of a burden will it be...
Jan 11th 2018
I think you should still do it, just lower the priority a little
Jan 11th 2018
Everyone else has already made some solid points, but ...
Jan 11th 2018
Yep
Jan 11th 2018
How long has it been since you left? I doubt credits carry on too long
Jan 11th 2018
maybe technically, but you can always get someone to sign off
Jan 11th 2018
you paying for it?
Jan 11th 2018
im in a similar boat, but only need one more class to graduate :-(
Jan 11th 2018
I just registered for JC again
Jan 12th 2018
Nah
Jan 12th 2018
if you're 6 figs or more pass unless it's for the hell of it
Jan 12th 2018

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3642 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how much do you have left?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1562 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:59 PM

3. "RE: how much do you have left?"
In response to Reply # 1

at this point with curriculum changes...about 2 years.

You stay classy okayplayer!!

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
57599 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:59 PM

2. "If your career is solid I wouldn’t do it"
In response to Reply # 0

Degrees are over rated unless you are locked out of an industry or you need one to make that paper. If it’s just to show your kids you finished something I guess I get it but IMO save that paper for those kids.

shut up already, damn

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
40940 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:02 PM

4. "Damn near in the same boat minus the wife and kids n a lil"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-11-18 01:04 PM by ambient1

younger

but I wake up and ponder this everyday

my nephew in school now...
ironically I dropped out when he was born

son will be in 2 yrs....
ironically I dropped back out when he was born

=======================================
Coolin...

Trinity444
Charter member
39614 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "how much of a burden will it be..."
In response to Reply # 0

like.
Still working full time too?
how much more of the family responsibilities will your wife take on?
how much more debt?
what do your wife think?
how high you trying to go?

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10383 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:15 PM

6. "I think you should still do it, just lower the priority a little"
In response to Reply # 0

Doing it for your own personal satisfaction is a valid reason to continue but since there's little to no financial or professional return on investment and you want to help the kids out with college, you'll just need to compromise on the school you go to and/or how fast you complete your degree.

Maybe you can find a cheaper school that will also let you complete your degree at your own pace.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
15876 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Everyone else has already made some solid points, but ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... my general thought process is that if your company is willing to pay for even a decent portion of it, do it. Right now your job situation is good and steady. And from what I understand (and you touched on this) IT jobs are not super difficult to find if you're established in the industry.

But if shit hits the fan whether due to this horrible administration or some other reason, and you *can't* find a job as easily, it's good to have that piece of paper to stick out against other candidates.

But again, for me, it would depend on whether or not my company was willing to pay for it. School debt sucks.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Cam
Charter member
12514 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:39 PM

8. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-11-18 01:56 PM by Cam

As someone who finished degrees on extended timelines, my response is yes, complete it.

1 - Close the circle. You questioning it now is an indicator that it still bothers you, at least a little. Get that monkey off your back.

2 - Make those student loan payments worth it. Paying a loan for something you haven't completed has to be a frustrating reminder.

3 - After, perhaps you'll hurdle professional barriers you didn't realize were there, with that new degree in hand.

4 - The degree could also allow you to retire earlier than expected, or provide a credential for after retirement to do something you enjoy even more.

5 - The kids will be alright, there are a lot of ways to offset expensive undergrad tuition costs and not go into debt wit SallieMae N'Em.

https://www.valuecolleges.com/features/best-free-colleges/
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/photos/2016/07/14/tuition-is-low-or-free-at-these-global-universities
https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship
Then, after a year in the dorm, I'd even buy an inexpensive condo for the kid--in whatever city their in school at--so that cash wasted on university housing costs and meal plans could be redirected back to my pockets..especially if they got a roommate.
And, that new meal plan would be provided via that 2nd free Costco card from my paid membership. https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1880354/size/tmg-slideshow_l.jpg = a total of $15 in Costco's food court to run that menu of every college's standard cafeteria food.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
13817 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "How long has it been since you left? I doubt credits carry on too long"
In response to Reply # 0

Usually there are term limits for graduation. Something like 10 years from your start date

Cam
Charter member
12514 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 02:40 PM

10. "maybe technically, but you can always get someone to sign off"
In response to Reply # 9

there's always a way.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16087 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "you paying for it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
12342 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 06:09 PM

12. "im in a similar boat, but only need one more class to graduate :-("
In response to Reply # 0

One of my worst fears is my mother passing before I can finally go back to finish the class.

I will always be on the side of those who have nothing and who are not even allowed to enjoy the nothing they have in peace.
—Federico García Lorca

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5453 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 01:37 PM

13. "I just registered for JC again"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-12-18 01:38 PM by Playa_Politician

attended and failed a few classes 10 years ago. same boat as you (bit younger tho), i'm in IT and doing just fine. but the lack of a degree (don't even have associates) hurts my growth opportunities if i ever want to get into management. I'm going to shoot for my Associate's degree and at the end of that i'll figure out if i want to move on to bachelors. i figure only going part time it will take me 3-4 years to just get my Associate's degree. or I may attend the first few classes and remember why i stopped going 10 years ago, school just wasn't for me.

--sig--
n/a

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
2762 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 01:47 PM

14. "Nah"
In response to Reply # 0

Focus on your kids and retiring.

---------------------------
Signature

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13293 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 03:33 PM

15. "if you're 6 figs or more pass unless it's for the hell of it "
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lobby General Discussion topic #13225143 Previous topic | Next topic