Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13225055

Subject: "Are you getting a bonus or wage increase?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are you getting a bonus or wage increase?"
Thu Jan-11-18 10:38 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Seems like every day or so, a new company announces bonuses due to the tax cuts passed last month. Today, it's Walmart announcing increasing their starting wage to $11/hr and giving out $400 million in bonuses

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walmart-to-boost-starting-wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html

Waste Management is giving $2000 bonuses to hourly employees. A whole bunch of companies announced $1000 bonuses.

Now, most of these actions are not permanent. The bonuses are likely just one time moves.

But these moves combined with increased paychecks coming soon definitely make Republican lawmakers look good for the moment. It's hard to argue that they fucked you over when cash is coming into your pockets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
normally I do. this year however?
Jan 11th 2018
Jan 11th 2018
      eh? wha' happen?
Jan 11th 2018
yes and then I'm out
Jan 11th 2018
switched companies last year
Jan 11th 2018
We get a wage increase
Jan 11th 2018
I'm talking about perceptions...
Jan 11th 2018
      hopefully the GWB terms stay fresh on people's minds
Jan 11th 2018
           ^Its not
Jan 11th 2018
neither. just the usual sales bonuses.
Jan 11th 2018
civil servant
Jan 11th 2018
In academia it's pay freezes all around.
Jan 11th 2018
This is what I'm talking about. The GOP/Trump is selling the hell out of...
Jan 11th 2018
We get bonuses every year
Jan 11th 2018
we get bonuses on the first Friday of December, every year...
Jan 11th 2018
Bonus every quarter...Cost of living increase every year
Jan 11th 2018
Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousand...
Jan 11th 2018
The timing is interesting...
Jan 11th 2018
      haha.. it's typical
Jan 12th 2018
man, i had to request a damn salary increase
Jan 11th 2018
I did.
Jan 11th 2018
my sister works at Universal Studios. 1000 to all part- and full-timers
Jan 11th 2018

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "normally I do. this year however?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had a rough fucking year.

but, normally its a bonus of 15% of annual + 3-4% increase for cost of living

big raises come from switching jobs or making your job your walking day time obsession

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Jan-11-18 10:44 AM by mista k5

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:55 AM

15. "eh? wha' happen?"
In response to Reply # 3

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:41 AM

2. "yes and then I'm out "
In response to Reply # 0

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:45 AM

4. "switched companies last year"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-11-18 10:48 AM by mista k5

due to weird HR decisions at my last company i'm expecting like 4 W2s from last year lol

I had been getting bonuses and raises the last 2/3 years, definitely moved up with the switch. Supposed to get a bonus but nothing to do with the tax bill. After being hired i found out they had put a freeze on raises for employees last year. We will see if I get a raise.

I want to say that a part of switching jobs was knowing the owner of the company voted for trump, proudly. dude is mexican, small business, didn't sit right with me. I'm pretty sure the CEO and board of the new company voted trump too though so w/ever.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:47 AM

5. "We get a wage increase "
In response to Reply # 0

>Waste Management is giving $2000 bonuses to hourly employees.
Great, that's like a one time $1 an hour raise. And I wonder how many employees don't meet this criteria.

>A whole bunch of companies announced $1000 bonuses.
.50 cents a hour.

>Now, most of these actions are not permanent. The bonuses are
>likely just one time moves.
Bribes to cloud people's judgement. Remember you got that $1 bonus but when your 70 you'll have to pay tens of thousands of dollars more for your healthcare.

>But these moves combined with increased paychecks coming soon
>definitely make Republican lawmakers look good for the moment.
>It's hard to argue that they fucked you over when cash is
>coming into your pockets

True, unless you can think. And being broke DEFINITELY stops you from thinking - you are reacting more than thinking.

At my job we got a 5% raise across the board - mainly so they could break the union who was demanding more money (we pay our nurses less than other healthcare companies in town.)

No bonuses this year or last, but we used to get a flat $300 around Thanksgiving. Didn't really impact most of my co-workers - but people making less probably used it for Holiday expenses where it helped them a lot. (I believe management has a bonus schedule.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I'm talking about perceptions..."
In response to Reply # 5

When you break it down in terms of small increments ($1 more per hour or $150 more a month), it loses it's luster.

But getting an unexpected lump sum check for $2000? Shiiiiit...Tell an hourly worker to not get excited about that.

Most people weigh the present much much more than the future. And in the present, the tax cuts is looking good.
I expect to see approval ratings for it to shoot up soon

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:14 AM

11. "hopefully the GWB terms stay fresh on people's minds"
In response to Reply # 9

i think its part of why there hasn't been a whole lot of love for tax cuts. that recession is still fresh in people's mind. getting a bonus or actually seeing some tax cut will definitely influence a lot of folks.

this whole "entitlement" argument is so backwards. dems are the ones usually willing to pay more out of pocket now for the good of the society moving forward.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:02 PM

16. "^Its not"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu Jan-11-18 12:04 PM by handle

The American Public are fucking idiots.

The remember that $300 check - they don't connect it to the "cratering" of the economy.

I think of Republicans and Businessmen like Trump thinks of Mexicans - some good people but mostly rapists.

As for the hourly worker: It will help them in the very short term and they'll be fucked for decades.

(And BTW, I don't care if they buy rims, or a big TV with it - they could gamble it away - I don't give a fuck. What I do give a fuck about is Social Security and Medicare.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:50 AM

6. "neither. just the usual sales bonuses."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:53 AM

7. "civil servant"
In response to Reply # 0

i get a yearly increase regardless. My union always manages to 'fight for an increase' around the same time gas or sales taxes increase. Very few of my co-workers notice the 'coincidence'

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:05 AM

8. "In academia it's pay freezes all around."
In response to Reply # 0

Probably into the indefinite future, unfortunately.

I'll see an okay tax cut, dirty money that I'll happily take, not that I'm gonna thank anyone for it.

As for the broader public view of the tax cuts, I agree that if people start to notice their taxes going down, that's good news for Republicans. On the other hand, I've heard people's perception of their own taxes are pretty sticky. Big majorities thought their taxes went UP from the Obama stimulus. Not that that's certain to be how it plays out this time. The GOP will market the fuck out of the tax bill.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:17 AM

12. "This is what I'm talking about. The GOP/Trump is selling the hell out of..."
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Jan-11-18 11:20 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Every day they talk about it. They're going to make sure you know what's happening to your paycheck.
I wouldn't be surprised if they sent letters out to people in a few months reminding them about the tax cut

With Obama, people's checks went up by like $40 a month but it wasn't noticable at all. Especially when the economy was crashing and state taxes were increasing at the same time.

Probably wouldn't have been a good move to road show the $400 tax credit in that environment.

>The GOP will market the fuck out of the >tax bill.
>

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:08 AM

10. "We get bonuses every year "
In response to Reply # 0

Small company but it’s tied to how well the company does and isn’t based on politics or tax cuts.

its sad seeing people fall for this bullshit but it works every time. Throw a few dollars at folks and they forget all about their concern for balancing the budget.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:23 AM

13. "we get bonuses on the first Friday of December, every year..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's based on how the company does as a whole...so if my division was down, for instance, but another had a fucking dope year, it all comes out in the wash. This year it was figured out to about 14% of my annual salary. Raises happen on March 15th of each year. It's figured based on individual performance and this whole breakdown of different criteria of job performance. Last year I got 4%. We'll see what happens in a couple months.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Bonus every quarter...Cost of living increase every year"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 03:18 PM

17. "Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousand..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 03:24 PM

18. "The timing is interesting..."
In response to Reply # 17

>http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

At the same time they're touting raising wages to $11.00 and giving bonuses between $200-$1000 (depending on seniority). These closing will put hundreds, maybe thousands of people out of work.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/taxes-lower-employment-higher-walmart-announces-raises-bonuses-n836801

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 10:23 AM

22. "haha.. it's typical "
In response to Reply # 18

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 04:13 PM

19. "man, i had to request a damn salary increase"
In response to Reply # 0

I wrote a letter and all that shit, right after my performance evaluation (and 5 year anniversary with this company).

when I found out how much newer folks were making, I was like 'hold the fuck up. you niggas gon have to PAY ME'

tariqhu
Charter member
17887 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "I did."
In response to Reply # 0

felt kinda weird about it. didn't turn it down either cuz that'd be dumb.

we call is dirty money. since its really a sham. my comp was gonna do this bonus anyway. it was already negotiated by the union before the tax cut deal. basically trump is taking credit for something that was already in the works.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 09:43 PM

21. "my sister works at Universal Studios. 1000 to all part- and full-timers"
In response to Reply # 0

nothing for the seasonal folks tho and they are mad

d

Lobby General Discussion topic #13225055 Previous topic | Next topic