Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13217554

Subject: "Secret History of Comics: The Personal Story behind Milestone Comics" Previous topic | Next topic
delariean
Member since Jun 29th 2005
703 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 06:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Secret History of Comics: The Personal Story behind Milestone Comics"

In case anyone want to hear and listen to this fascinating story, it premieres TONIGHT at 10pm Eastern/9pm Central. Part one of the six part miniseries on AMC will focus on the history of Milestone Comics

Article and Sneak peek of episode tonight:

https://www.cbr.com/secret-history-of-comics-milestone/

Robert Kirkman’s AMC documentary series, aptly titled Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics, looks to peel back the curtain on certain periods in comic book history and give firsthand accounts from some of the creators involved.

Tonight’s episode, “The Color of Comics,” puts the spotlight on Milestone Media, and features co-founder Denys Cowan talking about his childhood friendship with fellow Milestone co-founder Derek T. Dingle, and CBR has the exclusive first look at the clip.

The video begins with Cowan recapping his childhood growing up in Springfield Gardens, Queens, and being raised by his grandparents. It’s there where he met a young Dingle. It was this friendship where Dingle introduced Cowan to the wonderful world of comics, which helped Cowan cope with an awkward stage of Coke bottle glasses and a unique haircut. Comic writer Arvell Jones, television personality Wayne Brady, rapper Method Man also shared their tales of reading comic books.

The six-part documentary series AMC Visionaries: Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics airs Mondays at 10 p.m. on AMC, and is executive produced by The Walking Dead franchise creator Robert Kirkman, along with his Skybound partner David Alpert, Bryan and Sean Furst, Daniel Junge and Rory Karpf.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Don’t have amc but RIP Dwayne McDuffie - key player for milestone and ...
Dec 05th 2017
or Ben10, and a lot of other shit too
Dec 05th 2017
      Word Ben 10? I thought he passed while working on JLA?
Dec 05th 2017
           no I mean the comic book
Dec 05th 2017
great ep. i wonder if my pops kept all his milestone shit
Dec 05th 2017
Isn't static going to show up in those arrow/supergirl shows?
Dec 05th 2017
RE: Secret History of Comics: The Personal Story behind Milestone Comic...
Dec 05th 2017
they need to make it right.
Dec 05th 2017
damn not like this. Give that woman her cut
Dec 05th 2017
This ep was great. I knew very little about Milestone prior to this.
Dec 05th 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 07:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Don’t have amc but RIP Dwayne McDuffie - key player for milestone and ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wouldn’t have Justice League animated without him

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18120 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 08:59 AM

2. "or Ben10, and a lot of other shit too"
In response to Reply # 1

and fuck DC for firing him from JLA knowing full well he was gonna black it up to begin with.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 06:52 PM

6. "Word Ben 10? I thought he passed while working on JLA?"
In response to Reply # 2

I mean he blacked it up plenty just with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3r8KN17wP0

More would have been dope, but I was blown when I first saw that scene

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18120 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 10:40 PM

9. "no I mean the comic book"
In response to Reply # 6

They kicked him off of it as he was about to basically start a new JLA era that was supposed to have Icon and a few others as JL members, but they fired him from the book for no real tangible reason. Everybody knew what it was, though. Pretty much the same thing they did with Gail Simone, but she had her 'brightness' on her side.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85119 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 09:41 AM

3. "great ep. i wonder if my pops kept all his milestone shit"
In response to Reply # 0

he was a mega fan of the brand so it diversity in comics always felt "normal" to me as a kid.

and dwayne mcduffie was always the guy's name i saw in the credits lot of my favorite cartoons. never put 2 and 2 together until he died.

Static needs to be pushed to the fucking moon. Everybody liked that show (really covered some touchy subjects too btw) and it'd be so popular as a movie i bet.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 06:53 PM

7. "Isn't static going to show up in those arrow/supergirl shows?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Dec-05-17 06:53 PM by Atillah Moor

also damn I feel old AF. lol your dad had those comics!!?

delariean
Member since Jun 29th 2005
703 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 11:44 AM

4. "RE: Secret History of Comics: The Personal Story behind Milestone Comic..."
In response to Reply # 0

Great Ep. Was wondering if they were going to throw McDuffie under the bus......sort of did....but in case you are wondering how that revival of Milestone is going....well, they have a little business in dealing with his widow,,,,

Estate of Comic Pioneer Sues Over Milestone Media Revival

Link:
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dwayne-mcduffie-reginald-hudlin-milestone-media-1202512743/

August 1, 2017

Dwayne McDuffie, a pioneer of comic books with African-American heroes, died in 2011. Following his death, veteran producer Reginald Hudlin teamed with McDuffie’s former business partners to relaunch his company, Milestone Media, in tribute to the trailblazing artist.

But in a lawsuit filed Monday in L.A. Superior Court, the artist’s widow alleges that his estate was excluded from the revived company.

McDuffie wrote for Marvel and DC before launching Milestone Media in 1992 in an effort to bring greater representation of black heroes to comics. Milestone had a publishing agreement with DC Comics. McDuffie developed the characters Icon and Static, and produced a TV show, “Static Shock,” which aired on the WB network.

McDuffie died of complications from heart surgery at the age of 49. In 2015, Hudlin announced that he and McDuffie’s original partners would revive Milestone Media for a new generation of comics fans. Hudlin, who produced “Django Unchained” and directed the forthcoming Thurgood Marshall biopic “Marshall,” told the Washington Post that he and partners Derek Dingle and Denys Cowan hatched the idea to relaunch Milestone while gathered at McDuffie’s wake.

McDuffie’s widow, Charlotte McDuffie, alleges that his estate was excluded from the revived venture. At the time of his death, McDuffie owned 50% of Milestone Media, with Dingle owning the other half, the suit contends.

The three partners did not buy out McDuffie’s share of the company. Instead, they formed a new company called Milestone Media Company LLC, also referred to as “Milestone 2.0,” which took control of Milestone’s intellectual property, the suit alleges.

Charlotte McDuffie alleges that her inquiries about the new company have been met with “stalling and stonewalling tactics.” According to the suit, the new company is seeking to expand Milestone’s relationship with DC Comics, and is talking to other publishers about new projects, “all the while utilizing the intellectual property rightfully owned by Milestone, without compensation to Milestone or McDuffie’s estate, and without the consent of the Plaintiff or McDuffie’s heirs.”

The parties entered into a tolling agreement in April as they sought to settle the dispute. However, those talks appear to have broken down with the filing of the suit. In the agreement, Milestone’s partners issued a denial of the estate’s allegations.

Milestone’s attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85119 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 11:53 AM

5. "they need to make it right."
In response to Reply # 4

<--- Big Baller World Order

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 06:55 PM

8. "damn not like this. Give that woman her cut "
In response to Reply # 4

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 11:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "This ep was great. I knew very little about Milestone prior to this."
In response to Reply # 0

I stopped with comics as the 90's hit right after Image popped.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Lobby General Discussion topic #13217554 Previous topic | Next topic