Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13217184

Subject: "Practical things to do to in preparation for the Trump economy" Previous topic | Next topic
akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Practical things to do to in preparation for the Trump economy"

*what happened to the hustle boards?*

There used to be pretty good (financial) advice back in the day here (I still regret that I didn’t take the advice to buy bitcoins back when they were like 0.01… I don’t remember who recommended this).
I thought it might be useful to have a list of practical things to do in preparation for the trump economy.
I’m expecting the worst….I believe interest rates are going to go up early next year…. (including mortgage interest). Rising inflation may mean increase in prices and cost of living in general. Wages don’t seem to be going up so…
Beyond paying down my credit cards as fast as I can.. I really can’t think of much else to do.
I don’t have much $$ in the stock market thanks to gradschool (I don’t believe this run will last… some people may know when to withdraw their $$ before shit happens, but I lost half my investments in ’08). But I still do worry about my 401ks.
My monthly budget is just about as austere as it can be (I mean… gradschool, lol). So its not like I can increase my savings- cant save what you don’t have.
Any other advice? Financial folk?? I really feel like we need this…. Not many of us have family wealth to rely on.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i cant do much about my student loans....
Dec 02nd 2017
Start a business and write off everything?
Dec 02nd 2017
Marry into a rich white family, preferably Southern
Dec 02nd 2017
done (but they are only half white)
Dec 04th 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2tA4rM-xQ
Dec 04th 2017
      haha
Dec 04th 2017
not enough self-hate for this as of yet.
Dec 04th 2017
      lol.. damn
Dec 05th 2017
Seems like everyone should incorporate.
Dec 04th 2017
correct answer
Dec 04th 2017
they put in provisions to prevent this
Dec 04th 2017
My small biz is currently a partnership
Dec 04th 2017
Make more, spend less, save and invest more
Dec 04th 2017
I have no reason to expect the economy to be anything but good
Dec 04th 2017
what happens to the poor?
Dec 04th 2017
same shit that always happens to the poor
Dec 04th 2017
lol. fair point...
Dec 04th 2017
I'm talking about the economy, not social services
Dec 04th 2017
And I got banned for being an asshole
Dec 04th 2017
What was assholish about what I said?
Dec 04th 2017
What’s “good” mean? Stock market good?
Dec 04th 2017
      I'm talking real economy. Employment and wages
Dec 04th 2017
           I though wages were still low.
Dec 04th 2017
           what positive effect will this bill have on capital and labour?
Dec 04th 2017
           Not much impact on them combined. It will affect the distribution
Dec 04th 2017
           the individual mandate is gone
Dec 04th 2017
one thing i have to say... as a soon to graduate phd
Dec 04th 2017
Well, what is the level you wish to be at? Or more specifically,
Dec 05th 2017
found this article interesting...
Dec 05th 2017

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 05:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i cant do much about my student loans...."
In response to Reply # 0

at this point if i could figure out how to ditch them, lol....

oh... i also wish i could find ways to pay as little tax as possible.

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79865 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 05:56 PM

2. "Start a business and write off everything?"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5630 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 06:28 PM

3. "Marry into a rich white family, preferably Southern"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16804 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "done (but they are only half white)"
In response to Reply # 3

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 10:29 AM

8. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2tA4rM-xQ"
In response to Reply # 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2tA4rM-xQ

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 02:11 PM

22. "haha"
In response to Reply # 8

akon
Charter member
27010 posts

23. "not enough self-hate for this as of yet."
In response to Reply # 3

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 09:11 AM

27. "lol.. damn"
In response to Reply # 23

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49525 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 09:20 AM

4. "Seems like everyone should incorporate. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 09:47 AM

5. "correct answer"
In response to Reply # 4

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 01:46 PM

18. "they put in provisions to prevent this"
In response to Reply # 4

i was looking to do this, since i earn $$ from consultanies
but they are basically saying entities where owners work for themselves will not be eligible for the pass-through business income
but those in which one invests in but does not actively participate in, are (its so ridiculous- most small business owners work for their business.)
they basically saw what happened under the failed Kansas experiment and drew the exact wrong conclusions.

"Under the Republican plan, certain kinds of pass-through business income would be taxed at rates no higher than 25%. But to prevent abuse — for example, incorporating myself as Josh Barro LLC and selling "professional services" to Business Insider instead of taking a salary — there would be rules setting out what's real business income and what's labor income made to look like business income.

Whatever is deemed to be labor income would be taxed at rates up to 39.6%, as under current law.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gop-tax-plan-biggest-problem-small-business-details-2017-11

The Mac
Member since Feb 11th 2008
1493 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 02:06 PM

20. "My small biz is currently a partnership"
In response to Reply # 4

What would be the pros and cons of changing to a corp? Very small retail biz, family owned just two of us grinding it out in here.

Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit/ I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it -- Black Thought

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 10:24 AM

7. "Make more, spend less, save and invest more"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-04-17 10:26 AM by Cocobrotha2

The strategy doesn't really change with changes in presidents and policies thought the execution might change a little bit.

Short story is, the economy, stock market, unemployment and interest rates are all doing very good right now but, historically, we're due for a correction. It could happen next week, it could happen in 5 years but you want to start considering what can happen in lean times and prepare yourself.

So it's a good time to lock in a great rate on a house, but only if it's well within your means. You don't want to be stretching when a recession hits and you might have to start worrying about your job.

Otherwise, my opinion of the tax plan is that it's a short term stimulus to most Americans but it benefits corporations the most... at the expense of the national debt and our long term financial solvency.

Also, the tax cuts are probably a pre-text for attacking social safety net programs so it's even more important for everyone to get their financial houses in order because, in the long run, you're either going to be individually responsible for more of your healthcare, retirement, etc if the Republicans are successful, or you're going to be paying even more in taxes to cover the increasing national debt in the future.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I have no reason to expect the economy to be anything but good"
In response to Reply # 0

Interest rates will go up soon, but that's a good sign.
Inflation is pretty low and there are no signals of it rising quickly in the near term.

Advice for the Trump economy is the same for any other economy. Save/invest if you can. If the markets go down, continue to invest consistently.

If you are planning to buy a home or car soon, you might want to speed up your time table a little to take advantage of historically low rates before they go away.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "what happens to the poor?"
In response to Reply # 9

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 12:23 PM

11. "same shit that always happens to the poor"
In response to Reply # 10

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 02:27 PM

24. "lol. fair point..."
In response to Reply # 11

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 12:50 PM

13. "I'm talking about the economy, not social services"
In response to Reply # 10

handle
Charter member
18970 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 12:44 PM

12. "And I got banned for being an asshole"
In response to Reply # 9

Remember the "business men" still have Trump boners - when those "feelings" get lost the economy will crater again.

It's crazy how much making a small class of folks "feel" a certain way directly effects the rest of the country.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 01:33 PM

15. "What was assholish about what I said?"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Dec-04-17 01:37 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I believe by every measure, the economy will be doing well throughout Trump's term.
Partly because of his policies (deregulation) and partly because it was already on an upward trajectory when he took over.

I think unemployment will stay at about 3- 4%. Wages will increase slightly. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise

I also believe that if he runs in 2020, he will win specifically because of these things. No matter what else is happening. So it's kind of a catch 22

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 12:55 PM

14. "What’s “good” mean? Stock market good? "
In response to Reply # 9

Cause that isn’t really an indicator of a good economy.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 01:36 PM

16. "I'm talking real economy. Employment and wages"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Dec-04-17 01:36 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Stock market is a side show

legsdiamond
79865 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 01:43 PM

17. "I though wages were still low. "
In response to Reply # 16

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 02:01 PM

19. "what positive effect will this bill have on capital and labour?"
Mon Dec-04-17 02:01 PM by akon

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 02:30 PM

25. "Not much impact on them combined. It will affect the distribution"
In response to Reply # 19

The major cuts are on corporate taxes and pass through income. So the tax bill will disproportionately benefit capital

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13371 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 09:36 PM

26. "the individual mandate is gone"

That plus CHIP not being funded will upend the healthcare segment in a couple of years. I'll say negatives effects will be seen by 2019. Healthcare will skyrocket both for the insured and the uninsured. The economy will contract, particularly combined with the individual tax cuts that expire in a decade or so. Add in a small collapse of student loan and/or subprime car loan industries, and the economy is very, very fucked.

What happens then? The feds will have to respond by cutting services and *raising* taxes. States will raise taxes because the payments from the feds have shrunk. It'll be another recession all over again.

This whole thing played out very clearly and detrimentally in Kansas recently. If you think giving businesses a $1.4 trillion loan and decimating the small security nets we have in place now won't effect the economy you are fucking bugging.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts

21. "one thing i have to say... as a soon to graduate phd"
In response to Reply # 0

(i should say godwilling- im trying to be done with this shitty ass gradschool next year)

The current state of the federal government will make it harder for me to find a job at the level i should be at
(i havent studied this... or anything... its just an assumption/observation)

most people i know working for the feds right now are exiting (or looking to exit) into the DMV job market (state, ed, the epa, usaid etc) and the buyouts bullshit aint helping
these folks got way more experience than i do
and we are now all in the same job-market/ pool

the only people who seem to be thriving are lobbyists and lawyers.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 10:49 AM

28. "Well, what is the level you wish to be at? Or more specifically,"
In response to Reply # 21

what type of work would you like to be doing? (short-term and long-term)

Heavy questions, I know.. but the risk to your job prospects depends a lot on what you're after, no?

I mean, if you hope to remain in academia.. the hurdles there are largely separate from any Trump mandates (unless you do climate change research lol), but still offer a bit of insulation..

If you want to land in private sector - I can definitely see it being more competitive right now in the DC area, as you describe. But DC's a weird market too, because so many private sector entities here center their ops around serving one or more government agencies. So maybe private sector could be a back-up plan if you originally hoped to end up in government?? The last time I was in private sector, the colleagues I had coming from your situation seemed to be valued most on the Business Development side of things. So if you have grant-writing experience or have worked extensively with certain funders that may be attractive because they like subject matter experts who they can also throw on a proposal effort to win more business. But the right fit is key.

And if you wanted to land in government - have you considered applying for a AAAS fellowship?? I know some agencies that use it as a pipeline to get around HR headaches (literally, crawling with AAAS fellows). And PMFs are typically exempt from hiring shenanigans too. But then again, the risks in gov are largely agency-dependent.. I'd worry about anyone looking to work somewhere in the political crosshairs (EPA, CFPB, USAID, etc.). Funding for the public health agencies is always a struggle, but Congress dealt them their death blow pre-Trump with the Cures Act. So only a couple of health-focused agencies are sitting comfortably with ample budgets promised (lol, bet you can't guess who..), but HHS still has a hiring freeze in effect. So again, I recommend not sleeping on the AAAS fellowship because would at least buy a couple of years and the connections gained are crazy.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 11:08 PM

29. "found this article interesting..."
In response to Reply # 0

in a doomsday prediction kind of way that i hope is off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/03/gop-tax-plan-is-a-gift-to-china-japan-and-germany--commentary.html

"The irony is that this apparently vote-grabbing tax cut is a time bomb that can blow up anytime in the run-up to mid-term Congressional elections in November 2018. And that indeed would seal the faith of the Trump administration and compromise the Republicans' hold on power. The trigger, as always, could be easily unhinged inflation expectations and a rising public sector borrowing requirement. That would force the Fed's hand in a highly charged atmosphere of widely anticipated interest rate increases. Unraveling financial markets would then darken the economic outlook and set in motion an ominous political process.

But the sweeping pro-cyclical tax cuts we see now are a different story. It is not just bad economics. Sadly, the whole thing looks like a prelude to a financial crisis and an economic downturn that could relegate America to long, long years of economic stagnation and serious security challenges."

Lobby General Discussion topic #13217184 Previous topic | Next topic