Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13215576

Subject: "How are these, young looking, Baltimore Police able to conspire..." Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How are these, young looking, Baltimore Police able to conspire..."
Mon Nov-27-17 08:05 PM by Cam

without anyone ranked higher being in on it 'tew'?
This filthy crew look to me like a bunch of fall guys.
I don't trust anything about these non-sensical odd tales.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-baltimore-racketeering-case-timeline-20170906-htmlstory.html

The other story, of the murdered Homicide Detective set to testify the next day...which they've officially claimed is completely unrelated.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-baltimore-detective-update-20171122-story.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Its the sergeants.
Nov 27th 2017
Oldest dude was 47. Definitely old enough to school the younger ones
Nov 27th 2017
try 80 plus another 80 in OT. And that is what they got 'honest'
Nov 27th 2017
Right
Nov 27th 2017
nahhh..lol.... if you see how antiquated city govts are ran it doesn't
Nov 28th 2017
All I know is that header reads like it was written for William Shatner
Nov 27th 2017
my fault
Nov 28th 2017
it's such a dangerous job! they protect and serve! back the blue
Nov 28th 2017
A damn shame.
Nov 28th 2017
you said it.
Jan 21st 2018
u forgot the one where the cop was moving bmore dope to philly
Nov 28th 2017
exactly, that one was what caught my attention first.
Nov 28th 2017
Welp..looks like Training Day
Nov 30th 2017
King Kong don't got shit on BPD
Nov 30th 2017
Excellent read on the Suiter case:
Dec 11th 2017
thanks for this...i seen Barksdale having a vendetta against Davis
Dec 12th 2017
      What's the rap on Davis been?
Dec 12th 2017
      Basically what you just typed
Dec 12th 2017
      It's a shit job. I don't really know what the solution is.
Dec 12th 2017
      She doesn't. A mayor that will stand up to the Baltimore Regional
Dec 12th 2017
      ALL of the old guard gotta go...it doesn't have to be one extreme or
Dec 12th 2017
           ^^^^^^^
Dec 12th 2017
      Let's just say the THEY KNOW what the deal is BUT...
Dec 12th 2017
           It seems like it. I had to look him up to get his background.
Dec 12th 2017
      Davis is the 'Babyface' of the corrupt ass sergeants and captains in BPD
Dec 12th 2017
      Avon Barksdale against Clay Davis?
Dec 12th 2017
American policing was born corrupt. It can't be anything else
Dec 12th 2017
Davis fired. No arrests in Suiter’s murder.
Jan 19th 2018
Is there a tone on Desousa
Jan 20th 2018
      The general talk is that he had been on the shortlist for years
Jan 21st 2018
Planted toy guns on folks...had Bail Bondsman move $1 mill of dope
Feb 01st 2018
Remember this
Feb 02nd 2018
      Will see how long DeSousa lasts.
Feb 02nd 2018
           the issues are wayyyyyyyy bigger than him...like nobody is
Feb 02nd 2018
Baltimore Police Dept. IRB rules Det. Sean Suiter committed suicide
Aug 27th 2018
You covered it all. Complete bullshit
Aug 27th 2018
      Like, how brazen can you be? After all of this?
Aug 27th 2018
Clairvoyant-yo strikes again....gonna start playing the #'s
Aug 27th 2018
Something about this one is bothering me.
Aug 27th 2018
      every single gvmt agency in Bmore doesn't realize its 2018
Aug 27th 2018
Suiter’s wife speaks
Aug 29th 2018
Needs to be disbanded.
Aug 29th 2018
I agree
Aug 30th 2018
Baltimore now looking for its FOURTH police commissioner in 2018!
Oct 10th 2018
TJ Smith bouncing too....ctrl+alt+delete the dept
Oct 10th 2018
Yup, and negroes panicking...shit, these cats won't even fill out
Oct 10th 2018
This shit is beyond sad.
Oct 10th 2018
      This shit NEEDS to happen.
Oct 10th 2018

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 08:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Its the sergeants."
In response to Reply # 0

And 70 percent of these cats live away from Baltimore in communities together, so they got time and space for anything.

------------------
One Hundred.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 08:56 PM

2. "Oldest dude was 47. Definitely old enough to school the younger ones"
In response to Reply # 0

and these fools always on TV shows talking about “what I make on a cops salary”

60K and another 50 or 60K in OT... plus all the drugs and money you split when you make a big bust.

I want to know which ine of these dudes pulled the trigger

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 09:04 PM

3. "try 80 plus another 80 in OT. And that is what they got 'honest'"
In response to Reply # 2

factor in gun sales, dope sales, private security, etc....

------------------
One Hundred.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 10:00 PM

5. "Right"
In response to Reply # 3

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 09:46 AM

7. "nahhh..lol.... if you see how antiquated city govts are ran it doesn't"
In response to Reply # 2

take the brightest bulb to figure out how to 'work the system'

=======================================
Coolin...

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 09:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "All I know is that header reads like it was written for William Shatner"
In response to Reply # 0

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 10:07 AM

9. "my fault"
In response to Reply # 4

i might have been two sheets

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 09:45 AM

6. "it's such a dangerous job! they protect and serve! back the blue"
In response to Reply # 0

biggest gang in bmore over 40 years running

and it doesn't take much to do what they did...

at all

like at ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

they not the first...only current or last

Ohhh
and 37 outta 50 of the top paid city employees are cops

bcpd ain't ever been shit

Coolin...

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 10:06 AM

8. "A damn shame."
In response to Reply # 6

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Jan-21-18 11:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "you said it."
In response to Reply # 6

>biggest gang in bmore over 40 years running

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "u forgot the one where the cop was moving bmore dope to philly"
In response to Reply # 0

to have sold by his dboy brother

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/philadelphia/feds-philly-officer-sold-drugs-stolen-by-corrupt-baltimore-police-squad-20171114.html

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 11:41 AM

11. "exactly, that one was what caught my attention first."
In response to Reply # 10

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 03:13 PM

12. "Welp..looks like Training Day "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-burley-gttf-suiter-20171130-story.html

Coolin...

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 04:45 PM

13. "King Kong don't got shit on BPD"
In response to Reply # 12

That's exactly what I was thinking the entire time.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 06:23 PM

14. "Excellent read on the Suiter case:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://baltimorebeat.com/2017/12/11/grave-concerns-will-detective-suiters-death-bring-commissioner-davis/

Like the propaganda campaign surrounding his death, Detective Sean Suiter’s grave was empty. There was nothing there.

The massive procession that carried Suiter’s body from the Mount Pleasant Church in East Baltimore to Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens cemetery in Timonium on Nov. 29 was a powerful display of support and unity for the troubled Baltimore Police Department.

“Suiter gave, and the Baltimore Police Department gives each and every day,” Commissioner Kevin Davis said to the crowd in the 3,000 square foot sanctuary at Mount Pleasant. “It’s time for the local and national narrative to start reflecting that reality.”

For the current BPD, the narrative is all-important.

“In America, in this free society, our democracy, police—and I don’t mean to sound like I’m teaching a civics class here—but policing in America is special,” Davis said the week before the memorial at a press conference justifying a lock-down of Baltimore’s Harlem Park neighborhood where Suiter was shot. “Any loss of life is unacceptable, but society says in particular a murder of a police officer is unacceptable.”

“As homicide detectives, we go through the valley, we stay in the valley, and we bring those out of the valley who are sometimes lost,” Jonathan Jones, Suiter’s partner, who was not with him on the day he was shot, said at Mount Pleasant Church, extrapolating on the Psalm that proclaims, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.”

This idea that police enter into the valley voluntarily—with the ever-present chance of not returning—for the sake of the public, is part of what caused people to pull over on the side of the road and salute the passing procession; it was a phenomenon highlighted by videos tweeted by the BPD’s Director of Communications T.J. Smith.

“Drivers were urged to avoid northbound I-95 and I-895, as well as southbound I-95 approaching I-695 on the northeast corner. There were major delays on the outer loop of I-695 between I-95 and I-83 and I-83 between I-695 and Padonia Road between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.,” ABC2 News dutifully reported to its audience.

Even though I missed the procession there—I was in D.C. covering the trials of some of the people arrested en masse on Inauguration Day—a source from the department said I should go and see the grave.

As I drove through the bright late-autumn Saturday afternoon along the procession route, I thought about the difference between the road closures there and those in Harlem Park. Both possessed a military affect: The highway funeral with salutes and flapping flags was a parade; Harlem Park, with its crime scene tape, ID checks, battering rams, and expanded perimeter was an occupation.

Various contradictory and improbably coincidental facts surround Suiter’s death. He wasn’t with his regular partner that day. That partner called 911 instead of using his police radio. The police car that took him to Shock Trauma crashed. Suiter was shot with his own gun. He was connected with federally indicted members of Gun Trace Task Force and was supposed to testify against them. No one has come forward, despite a $215,000 reward. It is the longest the city has ever gone without solving the murder of a cop. There have been no leads.

All of this created an atmosphere of conspiracy and a flurry of rumors that swirled like dead leaves through the department and the streets. And the cop rumors and street rumors overlapped. It was another cop, half the people said. It was a suicide, contended others.

As I pulled into the 75-acre cemetery, the shadows were long and heavy in the late afternoon. According to its website, Dulaney Valley’s Fallen Heroes garden has more than 300 spaces that they provide, along with mortuary services, to the families of fallen cops, firefighters, correctional officers, and paramedics, free of charge.

The graves seemed endless, stretching out on rolling hill after rolling hill, splashing fountains catching the falling autumn light.

But I could not find a grave for Suiter.

I called the cemetery’s office on the phone. When I told the woman on the phone that I was looking for Det. Suiter’s grave, she paused and told me to hold on. When she came back on the line, her voice was harried.

“It was too late to make the burial,” she said. “It was dark.”
Harlem Park on lockdown. / Photo by Tedd Henn.

Three days had passed since Det. Suiter’s funeral on Nov. 29. On Dec. 1, in a press conference announcing that he wanted the FBI to take over the case, Commissioner Davis claimed that he had waited to make the FBI request until “after the funeral, after we buried Sean.”

I was confused. I wrote to the police department’s public information officer, T.J. Smith.

“We don’t handle the burial or anything after the fact,” Smith wrote in response to questions about where Det. Suiter was buried. “They are family decisions. Period.”

The Department—and news coverage—had certainly made it seem that he had already been buried. So it didn’t seem like it would be a big deal. I’d ask a question and they would clarify.

But Smith’s response to my questions wasn’t straightforward

“I certainly hope and pray for your dear sole that you were truthfully there to pay your respects,” Smith wrote. It was not the first time Smith had chastised me and other members of the press for asking questions.

When I asked if Davis was aware that Suiter had not been buried—at least not at Dulaney Valley, Smith condemned the questions outright.

“I refuse to entertain these baseless conspiracy questions,” Smith wrote. “It’s a memorial there and the family can make other decisions after a police Officer’s interment is performed.

Interment means burial, so it is unclear what Smith was trying to say—and he refused to clarify. Certainly he didn’t mean that he had been buried and then they made other arrangements, so it is likely that he meant after the memorial service the family could make other decisions about where an officer’s interment is performed.

The lack of clarification in this, as throughout this case, has not stopped “conspiracy questions”; rather, it has created them.

What if someone drove down from some other state to pay respects and found that Suiter wasn’t buried there?

On Dec. 4, two days after my visit, Dulaney Valley said that Suiter still had not been buried there yet, but they assured me that he would be. Finally, on Tuesday, Dec. 5 Mary Auld, who does PR for the cemetery and had been in direct contact with the family, said that they were waiting for the family before securing Suiter’s remains in the Fallen Heroes garden.

“It was their wish that he be cremated,” she said.

It was that simple. He had been cremated. Just admitting that the family made other arrangements following the ceremony would have prevented any confusion. Why had Smith been so evasive?

Some of the reasons may not be specific to Davis or Smith, but part of the culture of policing as it has developed along with technology over the last decades.

“I think this is a cultural thing that has developed over the decades, over the years and where you’ve been somewhat closed lipped and secretive about investigations, about personnel issues, about complaints filed against police officers, about a number of things, that tends to carry over into just about every aspect of policing when it shouldn’t,” said Neill Franklin, a retired Baltimore and Maryland State police officer and executive director of Law Enforcement Action Partnership.

A source close to the department, who did not want to be named so he could speak freely, was more direct—and more specific.

He said that Davis pushed for the high-profile funeral.

“He did it to gain sympathy for the department,” the source said, adding that it is “out of the Batts playbook,” referring to Davis’ predecessor Anthony Batts, who was fired after a Fraternal Order of Police after-action report on the Baltimore Uprising was released.

It may have been Batts’ playbook, but Davis owns it now. And like Batts, he may be obsessed with PR because he has had to learn how to deal with scandals.
Commissioner Davis at a press conference on Nov. 22. / Photo by Baynard Woods.

On Sept. 4, 1999, Davis and other Prince George’s County officers pulled up beside a man, Brian Romjue, driving a car outside of their jurisdiction and told him that they wanted to talk to him. A deputy commissioner, it was later determined, had ordered them to make the young man tell them where the niece of a commander was. During the five hours in which they detained him, one of the officers, Sergeant Joseph McCann, threatened to break Romjue’s kneecaps, according to court testimony, and Davis, Romjue said, banged his head.

A jury awarded Romjue $90,000, while rejecting the idea that the officers used excessive force.

“If Kevin Davis is going to do stuff like that, what the fuck you think he is going to do at the top?” asked former deputy commissioner and interim commissioner Tony Barksdale. “He played this ‘I learned my lesson, I didn’t know it was an unlawful order.’ One of the earliest things you learn is you don’t follow an unlawful order in policing.”

Davis has often repeated the idea that he learned his lesson from the incident. But the lesson may have been in managing the message.

Even before he officially took over as commissioner, Davis hired T.J. Smith, who had worked with Davis in Anne Arundel County, where Davis had served as chief before coming into the Batts administration as deputy commissioner in Jan. 2015. Smith was offered $160,000 to take over as the department’s spokesperson.

City Council President Bernard “Jack” Young, who made $110,000, took issue with Smith’s salary, saying maybe he should quit his job and apply for Smith’s. But, as the Sun reported at the time, City Solicitor George Nilson told Young that “Smith comes highly recommended, and the communications job is crucial following April’s unrest.”

“April’s unrest” made propaganda even more important than it had been. On Twitter, after he was tapped for the job, Smith pledged transparency. “My goal is simple: Be transparent, Highlight the phenomenal work that goes on everyday in the city, gain the trust and respect of the citizens of Baltimore and the BPD through effective and honest communication,” he wrote.

As he posted this tweet, the department was already engaging in a plan to secretly spy on the entire city. Just days before Davis was confirmed, the department made an agreement to work with a private company that would fly a small surveillance plane over the city, out of sight, and record 32 square miles at a time, according to emails obtained through a Maryland Public Information Act request.

And although BPD began using the Persistent Surveillance technology in Jan. 2016, no one knew about it, including the mayor or the City Council.

Ross McNutt, who runs Persistent Surveillance, had argued that the program only really worked if the public knew about it. It was not only investigative but preventative.

City government along with the public discovered the program when the publication of a Bloomberg Businessweek story, “Secret Cameras Record Baltimore’s Every Move From Above” in August 2016 forced their hand. Smith insisted that it was not really a secret program. It was just that no one knew about it.

“This isn’t some nefarious intrusion on someone’s privacy, it’s anything but that,” Davis said on Oct. 7 2016 at a press conference pertaining to Fleet Week—the last time the spy plane would be used by BPD. “Something being a secret versus something not yet being disclosed or vetted with the community, I think those are different things. I never intended to surprise anyone by this.”

In 2016, Davis also hired Joe McCann, who was involved in the P.G. County case, and appointed him to head up a new “quality control” division.

Earlier this year, when body-worn cameras appeared to capture BPD officers planting drugs, Davis claimed they were “re-creating” a legitimate discovery of drugs, and accused the public and the press of acting irresponsibly.

“I think it’s irresponsible to jump to the conclusion that these officers were engaged in criminal conduct,” Davis said. “Their credibility is in question because of a moment of time that is either captured or not captured on body-worn camera.”

Somehow, Davis survived these scandals, even as the murder rate continued to rise. Nearly 1,000 people have been murdered since he took office. But he could afford to gamble. Along with his own $200,000 a year salary, his contract had a provision that would give him $150,000 severance.

Now, in the wake of the Gun Trace Task Force and the lockdown of Harlem Park, it seems inevitable that the city will soon write that check.
The site of Det. Suiter’s shooting. / Photo by Tedd Henn

Det. Suiter was shot sometime around 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 15 on the 900 block of Bennett Place in an alley. A few hours later, Davis stood in front of Shock Trauma with Mayor Catherine Pugh and State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. He did not say that Suiter was scheduled to testify against indicted members of the Gun Trace Task Force and he did not tell the public that the police car driving Suiter to Shock Trauma crashed on its way there from Harlem Park. He did not name Suiter, whom he said had two children. Later reports indicate that Suiter had five children. But he did squarely place the blame on a member of the community.

“He observed a man engaged in suspicious behaviors,” Davis said of Suiter. “Our 18-year homicide veteran approached this man to engage him in conversation. Our detective was shot in the head.”

“Davis clearly said that he was in a brief violent struggle with an unknown black suspect with a black and white jacket. You’ve locked down Harlem Park, man, you’ve locked them down and you have not released a sketch,” Tony Barksdale said. “Just show me a fucking sketch of the black and white jacket. If there’s a black and white jacket, don’t you think there’d be somebody in that neighborhood who’d say ‘Oh yeah such and such wears that jacket,’ even after being treated that way. Somebody might talk.”

Instead, officers and cadets occupied the neighborhood, checking IDs and knocking on doors, especially of vacants. One woman who lived in the neighborhood said that when she first walked outside she saw a line of men on their knees on the street, hands on their heads.

“I think that’s the expectation of the community,” Smith said. “Vacant homes are blocked and obstructed where they need to be open. That’s what we have to do. I think the community wants to know that a killer of a police officer is not holed up in a vacant home.”

The people in the community had a vastly different view of their expectations. At a community meeting with the court-ordered team set up to monitor the consent decree between the BPD and the Department of Justice at Frederick Douglass High School, a 21-year teaching veteran implored the team to take action before another community is “held hostage.”

“We are asking for legal protection from our police department,” she said.

Two days later, at a Civilian Review Board meeting in Harlem Park, people placed the blame squarely on the commissioner.

“We got to go after the people who gave the orders, because the police officers on the front line just don’t decide to cordon off a city and be assigned to one area,” one woman said. “They don’t make those decisions. This came from the police commissioner and that’s where we have to start it.”

“If the commissioner’s responsible, that he’s making the final call, then maybe the laws will be changed later, that somehow we would have to go over his head, because he’s defending the criminal violations,” another said.

“I think overall, there’s a policy issue about whether or not this was constitutional behavior,” Jill Carter, who runs the city’s Office of Civil Rights, told the Real News, calling the cordoning off of the neighborhood an “extremely radical act.”

The ACLU demanded “a clear explanation from the City as to why this unprecedented action has been taken, what rules are being enforced, and why it is lawful.

Instead of explaining why the lockdown was lawful—it would be easy to cite a specific law—Davis turned the death of an officer and the feelings of his family into a rationale, a state of exception that superseded the rights of the citizens and vilified those who questioned him.

“I would much rather endure some predictive criticism from the ACLU and others about that decision, than endure a conversation with Detective Suiter’s wife about why we didn’t do everything we possibly could do to recover evidence and identify the person who murdered her husband,” Davis said.

Then, in a news dump at 5 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Davis said that Suiter was scheduled to testify against fellow cops from the Gun Trace Task Force who had been indicted on federal racketeering and other charges.

It was a week after Suiter’s death and Davis said he had “just” been informed of the testimony.

“Whenever he was scheduled, a summons would be generated,” said Barksdale, who doubted Davis’ account. “When I had federal grand jury I was called by the chief of legal to come sign for my fucking summons. At some point the summons reached Suiter. They schedule you for this shit.”

Acting U.S. Attorney Steve Schenning later confirmed that Davis was informed of the testimony on Nov. 16, the day after Suiter’s shooting, on the day he died.

On Dec. 2, Davis asked FBI Director Christopher Wray to take over the case, all but accusing them of not sharing information with the department.

“Suiter had something to say and I get a feeling it was something advantageous to the Feds for making a bigger case,” Barksdale said. “I think the FBI was smart to get a little distance, if they didn’t want BPD to know.”

Now, nearly a month after Suiter’s death and more than a week since Davis’ request, the FBI still had not responded and Baltimore still had no answers as to why Davis shut down Harlem Park if he knew about the testimony.
Trash and a Civilian Review Board flier in the alley where Det. Suiter was shot. / Photo by Baynard Woods

The attempt to cordon off the neighborhood never made sense. But it was even more puzzling when I saw the actual crime scene after the barricade was lifted.

I rode over there with my colleague Eze Jackson. Eze grew up a few blocks away and we walked around at the corner of Bennett Place and Schroeder Street. There were two striking things about the alley: There were no windows facing into the alley from the three buildings immediately around it, and there were numerous cuts leading out of it. If the assailant went to the right, toward Franklin Street and through the next cut, he would have gone in three different directions and easily escaped the neighborhood.

“If you know those alleys you can get away from the police easily,” Eze said. “That’s what we did growing up, cut through all those alleys to get away from the cops.”

We walked down to the end of the block where there was a corner store with a camera. I asked the man behind the thick glass inside if the camera captured all the way up to the entrance to the alley where Suiter was shot. He said it did but that he didn’t see the tape before BPD came and got it. “ATF has it now,” he said.

“We have the tape,” wrote Smith when I asked.

But if the camera showed the other man with Suiter, as police have claimed, it should also have shown Suiter enter the alley. And perhaps the man in black and white. There should be some answers about the need to shut down the community, even if there are none about what happened to Suiter.

But other than the discomfort of talking to Suiter’s widow, Davis has still failed to give a reason for the closure of the neighborhood.
Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens / Photo by Tedd Henn

Davis has condemned the kind of corner-clearing drug enforcement that led to mass incarceration. But his critics say his desire to get guns off the streets has led to the same abuses. The Gun Trace Task Force began as an elite team designed to trace guns used in violent crimes and ended as a violent criminal organization within the police department.

Feds indicted seven members of Baltimore’s Gun Trace Task Force on March 1, 2017, but new charges brought on Nov. 30 show that in 2010, Suiter was working with Det. Wayne Jenkins and Officer Ryan Guinn. In the 2010 statement of charges, Jenkins wrote that he saw a man named Brent Matthews approaching a car with “an unknown amount of currency.” Jenkins and Suiter blocked the car in. Jenkins and Det. Ryan Guinn approached the car. According to Jenkins, the man in the car, Umar Burley, drove away and the officers followed him.

Burley crashed into another car. “Detective Suiter . . . recovered a total of 32 grams of suspected heroin laying on the passenger side of the floorboard,” the statement of probable cause reads.

“There were no drugs in the car driven by U.B. prior to the crash,” the federal indictment reads.

Jenkins called a sergeant who had the drugs in his car to come and give Jenkins and another officer about an ounce of heroin to plant in the car, according to the charging documents. The sergeant has not been identified.

Suiter, who found the drugs in the 2010 case, has been painted as “clueless,” maybe even innocent.

“What Jenkins did was set up officer number one to find the drugs and recover the drugs that Jenkins himself had planted,” Davis said at a press conference. “Det. Suiter was used; he was Officer Suiter at the time. He was used and put in a position where he unwittingly recovered drugs that had been planted by another police officer.”

But many people think that it is Davis who is using Suiter, constantly making his sacrifice the sacrifice of the department.

“Davis is NOT doing this for the family, the investigation or the Department..he is doing it for himself…and trust me..it is going to explode in his face,” Mark Tomlin, a former homicide detective, wrote on Twitter.

Even if it does not explode in his face, the commissioner could learn from this uproar. The attitude that Neill Franklin talked about—how police are secretive about everything—can translate itself into the PR machine of Davis and Smith, but it can also manifest itself as planting drugs in someone’s car to cover up the fact that you chased them and caused a wreck in which someone lost a life.

According to Barksdale, a crisis like that presented by Gun Trace Task Force isn’t the time to try to hide the department’s dirt.

“You can’t let incidents like GTTF go and just go on. You have to slow down and say, ‘I am going to be pushing so hard looking for more individuals like this,’” he said. “Get with the FBI and say, ‘Let’s wire up houses, let’s wire up cars, let’s test these squads that are out there. Let’s boost our integrity stings 100 percent.’”

Barksdale says that the department should bring in somebody who would test the department like this and straighten it up, a “a hard-hitting, don’t-you-fuck-around-or-I’m gonna-be-sure-that-you’re-jailed commissioner.”

“Instead they hold on to this guy, and it’s deadly for Baltimore City,” he said.

But no one can imagine that Davis has long.

A week after my first visit, I returned to the Fallen Heroes monument at Dulaney Valley. My boots crunched the season’s first snow as I walked around looking at the graves of police officers who have died in the line of duty.

There was still no grave for Suiter, still nothing there.

------------------
One Hundred.

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 10:50 AM

15. "thanks for this...i seen Barksdale having a vendetta against Davis"
In response to Reply # 14

been following him for a minute and he does nothin but go after Davis all day every day...i was never quite sure why...i gave Davis the benefit of the doubt during the riots...

lately tho...every criticism is valid...he ain't shit
and there are some in the dept that ain't feelin him

this was a good read

Coolin...

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 11:32 AM

16. "What's the rap on Davis been?"
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Dec-12-17 11:42 AM by Overqualified

I swear, it seems like Baltimore has a new commissioner every time I turn around and has for as long as I can remember. I can't keep up. As the article states, he does seem overly concerned with optics - but at the same time, he appears to have good intentions and is in waaaay over his head. Maybe the two are related.

Streets won't let me chill.

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 11:45 AM

18. "Basically what you just typed "
In response to Reply # 16

>> he does seem overly concerned with optics - but at the same time, has good intentions and is in waaaay over his head. Maybe the two are related

Like i gave him the benefit of the doubt cause he came on right in the middle of the riots...

came off as well meaning, hard working, and willing to do the community thing

but we going on 2 summers of police not policing and an 'unexplicable' crime wave

he in over his head, incompetent, TOTALLY clueless abt the history of the bcpd/dirt they do/did and definitely tryin to get sympathy for the police

Like....watch ANY of his press conferences abt this detective shooting... streets called it IMMEDIATELY that they killed they own...and he has no clue

the FBI even ignoring him

but nobody feelin him...the mayor...states atty...

just a clusterfuck right now

Coolin...

Overqualified
4543 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:12 PM

20. "It's a shit job. I don't really know what the solution is."
In response to Reply # 18

You get an authoritarian - shit gets worse on the street and people complain. You get someone softer and more focused on community engagement like Davis, and the department digs deeper on their corruption. I think the real way to fixing the BPD takes place from the mayor's office solely - and it's kind of related to economic development which is at the core of most of Baltimore's problems. But doubtful Pugh has the stomach or acumen for that.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:19 PM

21. "She doesn't. A mayor that will stand up to the Baltimore Regional "
In response to Reply # 20

Development Group is what we need. That group is the shadow gov.

------------------
One Hundred.

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:29 PM

23. "ALL of the old guard gotta go...it doesn't have to be one extreme or"
In response to Reply # 20

the other in regards to the commish...

but ALL of the old guard in office gotta go...imo

Coolin...

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 01:04 PM

26. "^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 23

------------------
One Hundred.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "Let's just say the THEY KNOW what the deal is BUT..."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Dec-12-17 12:31 PM by Creole

are afraid to paint the picture themselves.

The words will flow better coming off the tongues of the Feds.

Some believe that Davis probably should have done a better job of keeping many, if not all, of his comments and responses to himself or within the department until the Feds could dive in.

That would be symptomatic of him being over his head. Maybe he had no clue that the corruption was as bad as it is. Now, he's just swimming tryna stay afloat.

Sad state of affairs...

Overqualified
4543 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:50 PM

25. "It seems like it. I had to look him up to get his background."
In response to Reply # 24

He came from Anne Arundel. He's a looooong way from home.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 11:50 AM

19. "Davis is the 'Babyface' of the corrupt ass sergeants and captains in BPD"
In response to Reply # 16

He's telegenic and knows how to go down on the block and work a crowd...but when you see pictures of him with BPD...look closely at the men who stand with him. They are the ones with their boot on our necks.

------------------
One Hundred.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13563 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:26 PM

22. "Avon Barksdale against Clay Davis?"
In response to Reply # 15

lol, j/k. Couldn't resist.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 11:38 AM

17. "American policing was born corrupt. It can't be anything else "
In response to Reply # 0

Overqualified
4543 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 09:06 PM

27. "Davis fired. No arrests in Suiter’s murder."
In response to Reply # 0

Hard times in a hard city by the sea.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/mayor-pugh-fires-bpd-commissioner-kevin-davis/15411273

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Sat Jan-20-18 11:46 AM

28. "Is there a tone on Desousa"
In response to Reply # 27

beyond the users of channel 11's voting app?

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Sun Jan-21-18 01:32 AM

29. "The general talk is that he had been on the shortlist for years"
In response to Reply # 28

and would get passed over...and that he is one of the 'good' ones. He graduated from high school here (Walbrook) and he has been on the force for 30 years.

This has been the go to move in the mayoral playbook since I have lived here, so I am not convinced. We'll see how things go with the Suiter case and how things go with the FOP and the old guard.

------------------
One Hundred.

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Thu Feb-01-18 10:51 PM

31. "Planted toy guns on folks...had Bail Bondsman move $1 mill of dope"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ambient1
41077 posts
Fri Feb-02-18 09:20 AM

32. "Remember this"
In response to Reply # 31
Fri Feb-02-18 09:31 AM by ambient1

https://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/politics/baltimore-drug-market-freddie-gray/index.html

www.fox5dc.com/news/baltimore-police-commissioner-looted-drugs-during-riots-causing-spike-in-violence

crazy part.... those 6 aren't the only ones...a bunch are STILL there w/o any fear because they think they outslicked everybody

FOP been real real quiet

Coolin...

Overqualified
4543 posts
Fri Feb-02-18 10:12 AM

33. "Will see how long DeSousa lasts."
In response to Reply # 32

Even though he came up through the ranks, I have a feeling the issues are bigger than him. May be tough to wrangle without going toe to toe with the FOP and instituting another Blue Flu.

ambient1
41077 posts
Fri Feb-02-18 10:35 AM

34. "the issues are wayyyyyyyy bigger than him...like nobody is "
In response to Reply # 33
Fri Feb-02-18 10:38 AM by ambient1

surprised about all this cept outsiders

the part that I'm REALLY concerned about....
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of those cases they closed are gonna let ALLLLLLLLL those hittas right back out there.... so this gonna be another hot ass summer

and then from a criminology angle...these lil youngin thuggins are literally out there mind...the whole game done changed...
like....you got teens out here carjacking REGULARLY (as I type this I'm talking to a chic who was just carjacked Sunday in front of her crib) ...they take the cars and give em to the 19-24 y/o's...who then go around and hittin whoever in cars etc... some killing w/o robbing on some 'just because' shit....they are wayyyy bolder, ain't scared of nobodies jail, cameras, and have 0 code or reasoning behind what they doin...and to think the police literally caused alot of this resurgence is absurd

this commissioner got some dirt on him too but we'll see how this plays out...his boss(Pugh) is an airhead who is clueless and tone deaf.

Coolin...

Overqualified
4543 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:30 AM

35. "Baltimore Police Dept. IRB rules Det. Sean Suiter committed suicide"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/i-team-source-board-concludes-suiter-took-his-own-life-with-his-service-weapon/22834305

To recap:

1. In November 2017, Suiter is investigating a homicide and goes into the field without his usual partner
2. He sees a suspicious individual and gives chase down an alley
3. His partner hears gunfire and takes cover
4. They find Suiter shot in the head with his own service weapon. His body shows sign of a struggle
5. BPD says the suspect is a "Black male with a black jacket with a white stripe"
6. Half of West Baltimore is locked down for a almost a week by the BPD searching for the suspect. Residents can't come and go and armed police are posted at every corner - ACLU intervenes
7. After lingering in a coma, Suiter passes. Medical examiner rules his death a homicide
8. Word comes out that Suiter was set to testify against the BPD GTTF the next day. Former Commissioner Davis denies his murder and impending testimony are linked
9. At Davis' urging, there is a pomp and circumstance funeral for Suiter - with no body laid to rest (see the article above)
10. A $250,000 reward is offered for information on the suspect. No one comes forward with leads.
11. After an extended wait, the FBI denies the request to take over the investigation
12. In January 2018, the investigation is quieted and Davis is fired
13. In mid 2018 an independent review board is commissioned to find the cause of death.

After all of this, Baltimore apparently has its own Warren report. This shit really fucked up my day.

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:37 AM

36. "You covered it all. Complete bullshit"
In response to Reply # 35

>https://www.wbaltv.com/article/i-team-source-board-concludes-suiter-took-his-own-life-with-his-service-weapon/22834305
>
>To recap:
>
>1. In November 2017, Suiter is investigating a homicide and
>goes into the field without his usual partner
>2. He sees a suspicious individual and gives chase down an
>alley
>3. His partner hears gunfire and takes cover
>4. They find Suiter shot in the head with his own service
>weapon. His body shows sign of a struggle
>5. BPD says the suspect is a "Black male with a black jacket
>with a white stripe"
>6. Half of West Baltimore is locked down for a almost a week
>by the BPD searching for the suspect. Residents can't come and
>go and armed police are posted at every corner - ACLU
>intervenes
>7. After lingering in a coma, Suiter passes. Medical examiner
>rules his death a homicide
>8. Word comes out that Suiter was set to testify against the
>BPD GTTF the next day. Former Commissioner Davis denies his
>murder and impending testimony are linked
>9. At Davis' urging, there is a pomp and circumstance funeral
>for Suiter - with no body laid to rest (see the article
>above)
>10. A $250,000 reward is offered for information on the
>suspect. No one comes forward with leads.
>11. After an extended wait, the FBI denies the request to take
>over the investigation
>12. In January 2018, the investigation is quieted and Davis is
>fired
>13. In mid 2018 an independent review board is commissioned to
>find the cause of death.
>
>After all of this, Baltimore apparently has its own Warren
>report. This shit really fucked up my day.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Overqualified
4543 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:45 AM

38. "Like, how brazen can you be? After all of this?"
In response to Reply # 36
Mon Aug-27-18 10:47 AM by Overqualified

And part of me was thinking that this would be the thing that toppled some of Baltimore's ass backwards ways - from the mayor to the BPD to the GBLA. They all know something and did their damndest to cover it up and will sacrifice anyone to keep themselves protected. And they took a vote to determine what the final cause of death of was. Apparently, a medical examiner's report can be overturned. Shit is disgusting.

ambient1
41077 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:38 AM

37. "Clairvoyant-yo strikes again....gonna start playing the #'s"
In response to Reply # 0

f'real

Coolin...

Overqualified
4543 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:51 AM

39. "Something about this one is bothering me."
In response to Reply # 37

I was in Reisterstown the day Suiter was killed. I was attending an event where the speaker was the former commander of the Western and when he got the news he could barely keep it together. He knew him, his family and left to be with them. This type of coverup and insult to the intelligence of every Baltimorean, over absolutely nothing, just fucks with me greatly.

ambient1
41077 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 10:57 AM

40. "every single gvmt agency in Bmore doesn't realize its 2018"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Aug-27-18 10:59 AM by ambient1

gone are the days where u can dismiss shit as rumor/heresay/and 'I heard...'

information is abundant and everywhere

so now the curtain is pulled back and they legit don't have a clue as to what they're doing...absolutely NONE

eye opening for some...

a well 'duhhhhh...wtf y'all think niggas wanted to burn this bitch down' for the rest

I guarantee that Pugh not gonna say a peep abt this and they gonna just try to 'move on'

I give our local journalist ALOT of credit since the riots for exposing the ineptitude of those who are in charge

Coolin...

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 06:55 PM

41. "Suiter’s wife speaks"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-suiter-interview-20180829-story.html.

<---

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 10:24 PM

42. "Needs to be disbanded. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 07:41 AM

43. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 42

<---

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 11:16 AM

44. "Baltimore now looking for its FOURTH police commissioner in 2018!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-tuggler-withdraws-commissioner-20181009-story.html

Tuggle said, "FUUUUUUUUCK THAT".

How you gonna clean house when your house is the house that is supposed to clean house...but its FULL OF DIRTY ASS ROACHES?

------------------
One Hundred.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 01:52 PM

45. "TJ Smith bouncing too....ctrl+alt+delete the dept"
In response to Reply # 44

Coolin...

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 08:11 PM

48. "Yup, and negroes panicking...shit, these cats won't even fill out"
In response to Reply # 45

an accident report. My Wife's suv got totaled (AGAIN- 2nd time in four years on damn near the same block on Belair), this time my nephew was driving...got hit by a drunk muhphucka drive a truck. No breathalyzer. No accident report.

------------------
One Hundred.

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 07:24 PM

46. "This shit is beyond sad."
In response to Reply # 44

<---

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 08:08 PM

47. "This shit NEEDS to happen. "
In response to Reply # 46

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13215576 Previous topic | Next topic