Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13212262

Subject: "I've never listened to a podcast. Where do I start?" Previous topic | Next topic
Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I've never listened to a podcast. Where do I start?"

Mind you - I have NEVER listened to one. Single. Podcast. So the most obvious stuff from 5 years ago might be very relevant to me. The only thing I've ever listened to halfway was 3 minutes of a show in an Uber where that comedian guy who died last year (he was a buddhist too, I think?), talked about religion or something.

I wanna start messing with podcast mostly for a) Jogging and B) The gym.

Whats your faves? And please, no sports (anything else goes tho)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Star Talk
Nov 13th 2017
Serial
Nov 13th 2017
There was just a thread...
Nov 13th 2017
Tim Ferris Podcast
Nov 13th 2017
Top 5 Combat Jack Show eps
Nov 13th 2017
what do you like?
Nov 13th 2017
What's the best app?
Nov 13th 2017
      I mean
Nov 13th 2017
      I use pocketcasts bc crossplatform. a lot of people on ios use overcast
Nov 13th 2017

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Star Talk"
In response to Reply # 0

Adventure Zone
Skeptics Guide to the Universe

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Serial"
In response to Reply # 0

season 1. I never finished the one after that but the first one is definitely worth checking out.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:51 PM

3. "There was just a thread..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13210700&mesg_id=13210700&page=2

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Tim Ferris Podcast"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm meh on his books and to some extent his whole 'hack' everything. But he has an incredible gift as an host/interviewer and I have yet to come across an episode that isn't excellent. He has such a wide array of guests that you can undoubtedly find one someone you're interested in hearing although even folks he's spoken to that I had no/cursory knowledge of have been fascinating. I've listened to some episodes numerous times.

Favorite episodes (no particular order):
Cory Booker
Jaime Foxx
Adam Robinson
Josh Waitzkin
Debbie Millman
Tara Brach
Schwarzenegger

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 04:07 PM

5. "Top 5 Combat Jack Show eps"
In response to Reply # 0

1- D-Nice
2- Chuck D
3- Dame Dash vs. Just Blaze
4- Scarface
5- Raymond Santana Central Park 5

Bonus: DMC and Ice T

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 04:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "what do you like?"
In response to Reply # 0

just grab an app and go to town. search for the people you like.

like, find a person whose opinion you like, then search on itunes (even if you don't use itunes) to find podcasts they've been interviewed on.

even if you don't like the podcast, you'll like the person, and if you DO like the podcast then boom you've found one. branch out from there.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 06:58 PM

7. "What's the best app?"
In response to Reply # 6

I like everything

I fuck with Othertone w/ Pharrell to some extent, its not perfect but especially the Flying Lotus episode was dope and had tons of great music too

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I mean"
In response to Reply # 7

the baseline podcasts, the ones that have been around and popping since 2008 (that I'm aware of) are

Giant Bombcast for video games
Bill Simmons podcast for sports, pop culture and general media discussion
WTF W/ Marc Maron for in-depth one-on-one interviews, mostly comedians but also actors, musicians and authors

Those are the three that have the highest professional standards, though Simmons was a sports radio nerd so until the last year or so he was totally fine with doing phone/Skype rather than studio interviews so his audio quality wasn't always nearly as consistent as the other two.

From there, like he said you should just look up people you like or subjects you're interested in. I mostly use podcasts as a way to have "conversations" I can't necessarily have in real life because I don't know people as into these subjects as the podcast hosts are: video games, basebal/basketball, the inner workings of the media world and critic culture at large, whatever the fuck Desus & Mero want to talk about, deep comedian lore. So I listen to podcasts about those things.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 10:29 PM

9. "I use pocketcasts bc crossplatform. a lot of people on ios use overcast"
In response to Reply # 7

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13212262 Previous topic | Next topic